• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ENERGY DRINKS ~ Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Energy Drinks

Does anyone know the truth about how healthy these things really are? The addiction krept up on me but sure enough I find myself spending $3+ everyday. Is this unhealthy? According to the can, the energy drinks appear to be fairly GOOD for you, but this could easily be a lie. I drink Monster. Whats up with these? Do they cause cancer?

OK, I told you once (not 15 minutes ago!), and this is getting annoying. Read the Forum Guidelines

This isn't the only forum on bluelight! Look around the site and see if your thread has been answered (search engine), or would be suited somewhere else better.

Until then, don't make threads!

^^^ This is possibly a legitimate question, I'll allow it for now. Moving over to Healthy Living

xxxI do not believe there is any correlation with cancer. However these are just sugar, caffeine, and vitamins put it in a fancy package. Buying a bottle of vitamins, making some coffee with a lot of cream and sugar and you'll basically create the same thing. Don't like the taste of coffee? Then try some caffeine pills and OJ as a cheaper option. Either way they are a marketing gimmick aimed at 14 year olds.
xxxAlthough, I must say that I sometimes buy these during finals and such as they are easier to transport than large quantities coffee. But I would avoid them, if only for their cost, on a daily basis. Making your own coffee is a much tastier, cheaper, and less ridiculous looking than toting around a can of "Xtreme Awesome StimuMax Energy Liquid XXX."

Everything in them, in general, is pretty good for your body except:

unless you are drinking diet you are drinking ~60-100grams of carbohydrates (usually high fructose corn syrup). This is all bad.
usually they contain 200-300mg caffeine. Caffeine should be used in moderation.

The rest of the stuff is generally ok for you:

Taurine and B vitamins are the major ingredients which are fine in moderate doses. If you start drinking more than 1 drink a day though that's a lot of B vitamins..

Then of course there is the random herbs they add: milk thistle, Ginseng, Ginkgo Biloba, etc.. and lord knows what those do in the short/long run. Studies have mixed reviews on most of them.

Sorry for not researching before I posted first. I forgot the mods are anal about that, I haven't posted here in a while. Go ahead and delete my thread I don't care. Sorry again. Is it not your job to move my thread? Thats why you are moderator right? If you enjoy being in power then use your power to take care of my annoyance. Maybe you have heard the question before since your moderator, but most people just surf the first page buddy.

sorry but what are you guys talking about?? its bad...what about all the drugs we take..that can't be to healthy..:)

pft my old username had almost 3k.

there's more to this site than drug discussion.

I like a good energy drink sometimes, some actually taste pretty good! As long as you don't start abusing it, you are okay.

soundsystem00 said:
Do you like energy drinks?

i drink a diet rockstar every morning instead of coffee and sometimes I drink a Speed Stack or Extreme Thermo Rush before working out.

i believe the typical energy drinks to actualyl suck the life-force right out of a person if they are used regularly. users i have observed aroundme tend to get strung out and restless, and they pay with pronounced phases of lethargy. Not unlike any stimulant used to excess.

I used to use a lot and went off them completely for a long time. I now use them only rarely and then moderately, in case I want a sweet sugary pick-me-up, but I am aware that they're not really good for me.

DemonSeed said:
I like a good energy drink sometimes, some actually taste pretty good! As long as you don't start abusing it, you are okay.

Really ? I tried at least 6 brands and they all taste like shit AKA they taste like Taurine no matter how much sugar and other stuff they cram in them. And the funniest thing is, I never got any energy boost from any of them. So bleh...

I got a friend that drinks Concentrated Red Line from GNC just about everyday, that stuff is strong. It just gets me way too tweeked out. Look it up if your not happy with your present energy drink.

in regards to Redline: at 120 lbs I chugged one on an empty stomach. it was during my lunch break my freshman year in high school. needless to say, my eyes became startlingly bloodshot (everyone thought I was high), I broke out in a cold sweat, I shook like a crackhead, couldn't eat the rest of the day, and couldn't sleep that night. I might be sensitive/have a low tolerance to caffeine but still..
I believe Redline is unnecessary and going overboard. I also agree that the majority of energy drinks are worthless in terms of health benefits but are fine in moderation. I try to drink one a week or less. my local Shell gas station sells these energy drinks for $0.99 called CL-ONE. they're just like Redbull but cheap!

Crazeee said:
Really ? I tried at least 6 brands and they all taste like shit AKA they taste like Taurine no matter how much sugar and other stuff they cram in them. And the funniest thing is, I never got any energy boost from any of them. So bleh...

I agree for the most part on the taste of energy drinks =/. Most of them I hate.

One particular brand that I love(as in i'd choose it over 'normal' drinks in some cases)is Sobe Adrenaline. If anyone else has tried it, please comment. I'm quite the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.