• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric [Ego-Death Subthread] Why is it a good thing?

victory over death? to be fully free from any confinement this world could possibly have over someone?

freedom

from

...fear?

dont be a pussy!

Ego-loss is okay as long as the person doesn't get carried away with it. Boundaries are good sometimes and these drugs can change your concepts of limitation for the best or the worst. To be egoless is to be apathetic and unmotivated.

I think ego-death is a valuable experience for every human being on this planet.
I feel it's a spiritual experience.
The knowledge that you are not this body and can never die are very encouraging and is joyous.

People who are too entrenched in the material world and the "Game" probably wouldn't enjoy their whole life (ego) dying.

How can money and possessions possibly compare to becoming one with infinite love/experience?

I have not experienced ego loss but I am intrested in it because I want to truly feel my insignificance. I think it could be a very positive experience. I want to lose my sense of self, the self absorption, the selfishness.

Bludda said:
Ego death is not annhilation.
It is emancipation.

You do not cease to exist.
The boundaries that define you cease to exist.

Having no boundaries, 'you' become nothing.
Yet 'nothing' is still apart of 'everything', and thus 'everything' remains.

The experience: There is no You.
The revelation: There is only you.

We are the Universe.

PS.
Mr P, you know what we're talking about.....

SNAP.

littlebitflip said:
To be egoless is to be apathetic and unmotivated.

apathy and amotivation are a result of ego.

seeing through your ego really helped me see what was worth doing and has motivated me, positively, no end.

It's a shame when people speak from ignorance about such a wondrous state of being.

^^ True.

There is nothing more pleasing to the arrogant (ingnorant, insecure...etc.) ego than to call other egos arrogant. Pot calling kettle black ;).

The knowledge that you are not this body and can never die are very encouraging and is joyous.

People who are too entrenched in the material world and the "Game" probably wouldn't enjoy their whole life (ego) dying.

How can money and possessions possibly compare to becoming one with infinite love/experience?

this man (woman?) speaks wise, wise words...

R.M. Shackelford said:
Somewhat on topic, which drugs are best effective at creating an ego-loss experience? High doses of acid/shrooms, I would assume, but are there others?

I have experienced ego death twice, both times on 2c-e. Dose was 32mg and 36mg.

isnt to feel pleasure ego based? pleasure is feeling good, isnt/ doesnt that have some connotations about what people " must" feel like. im not being confrontational here, im just throwing a bone out, even " nirvana" which can be classed as an ultimate pleasure makes me think of the way pleasure is construed....

Pounding_Grooves said:
isnt to feel pleasure ego based? pleasure is feeling good, isnt/ doesnt that have some connotations about what people " must" feel like. im not being confrontational here, im just throwing a bone out, even " nirvana" which can be classed as an ultimate pleasure makes me think of the way pleasure is construed....

i do not believe pleasure is totally ego based. at the beginning of time when we had very very suble ego's, pleasure could still be achieved through drugs or by yourself. it is how we attach to these pleasures which is ego based.

also, i do not see nirvana as an ultimate pleasure, it is the non-attachment of pleasure, the elimination of your desire for sensual gratification (pleasure). this is far greater than pleasure.

If I may borrow from Upanishadic wisdom (which, btw, I recommend all you porponents of ego-anihalation to look into, but you probably did already ;))....

Pleasure, as Medatripper suggested, is derrived from the senses and of selfish desire, and thus tied to the material world => Ego.

Joy, on the other hand, is far greater, and is derrived from selflessness and a state of nothingness/everythingness => Egolessness.

In the words of Yama, the guardian of death:

"There is the path of Joy, and there is the path of pleasure. Both attract the soul. (...) The two paths lie in front of man. Pondering them, the wise man chooses the path of Joy; the fool takes the path of pleasure. (...).

Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.

What lies beyond life shines not to then who are childish, or careless, or deluded by wealth. 'This is the only world, there is no other,' they say. And thus they go from death to death."

Katha Upanishad, Omissions mine for berevitiy.

Last edited:
srh-xxuxx, Bludda, jonO_O & Jamshyd......Thankyou for your enlightening and meaningful words! :D

Last edited:
Jamshyd said:
Pleasure, as Medatripper suggested, is derrived from the senses and of selfish desire, and thus tied to the material world => Ego.

Joy, on the other hand, is far greater, and is derrived from selflessness and a state of nothingness/everythingness => Egolessness.

Pleasure is false happiness and Joy is true happiness?

Is it possible to have ego-death in combination with a bad trip?

More than 20 years ago, a group of friends and I each consumed 30 fresh p. subs. That was easily the wildest ride of my psychedelic career. The peak for me was a bad trip. With my eyes open, I couldn't see anything that resembled reality. Worse, the stereo was a busted record player that kept playing the first side of Pink Floyd's "Animals" (i.e. the track "Dogs") over and over, probably the worst tripping music you could imagine.

The effect on me was shattering. I stood outside myself, and I didn't like what I saw. Up until that day, I had a lot of self-confidence, but the mushrooms blew it all away. At the time, when I had come down, I thought "well, I'll never have 30 mushrooms again". But in retrospect, I think that experience altered my whole life, and not in a positive way.

I enjoy reading the reports of the psychonauts on this forum, and goodwill to all of them, but be aware that ther is potentially a dark side.

My last trip (san pedro) was about five years ago. I encountered an entity that basically told me to "fuck off". I've accepted his advice.

Hehehe...

Ego death is sooo the shit to do. ;)
Or is that just my ego talking.

There are no words to define it. It is the unconditioned experience.

Life isn't to be wasted on the pursuit of egoloss. The reason I posted the question in the first place was because people talk about ego-loss as though it's the holy grail. Once you experience ego-loss you learn from it and it's over. Some people waste time going back many times. I wasted time going back too many times. Yeah yeah we're all connected... but what does that really change? Isn't that already obvious without psychedelic drugs? People act like ego-death is the thing to do. Alot of the responses in this thread have been the same cliche responses people have been saying for years. PURE NAKED EXISTENCE... yeah yeah yeah but what are you gonna do with it? Reality's reality. It's always been right in front of your face. Existence is an opinion so who's to say what psychedelics really cause you to experience.