• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric [Ego-Death Subthread] Why is it a good thing?

littlebitflip

Bluelighter
Why would a human being want to lose their sense of I/me ?

It feels like you're dying. It's traumatic. Fuck ego death. Embrace who you are. I guess for some people it takes temporarily losing yourself to know yourself. That could be why it's good.

I've never had an ego death but from lot of experiences from other people state that you dont really know you've had an ego death untill it passes im guessing you were just having a scarey time? When you remove ones ego then there are no boundries and you are able to veiw the universe fully its a state of just being.

The answer is in your question : ego death is the best way to embrace the Ultimate experience, the only certainty for humans -> WE WILL ALL DIE

This is one of the opportunities brought by an ego death experience.

When you understand and accept, that one day, you will die, you become better able to live HERE AND NOW.

I guess that you probably already know that one day, you will die. But an intellectual understanding is not the same thing as an emotional understanding, an understanding that comes from your heart, from the inside.

Ego death leads you to such emotional confrontation. It can eventualy help you to understand that you are not only your ego, that there is something deeper than this psychological structure/defense.

For ego death as for biological death, the key word is ACCEPTANCE .

Peace

SickJack;)

Last edited:
I see. Kind of like only knowing how much you love your kids, only when one dies on you. Cool!

'Hold onto your ego' - beach boys song

Actually, if you read any decent literature on psychedelic philosophy you will read advice that one should have a good strong sense of ego before dropping a pyschedelic. The idea is that you go on a journey of egolessness, but that you have a strong, stable egoic base to return to afterwards.

You do not find your soul, it finds you
You do not unravel you soul, it unravels you
You do not experience your soul, it experiences you
You do not express your soul, it expresses itself through you
You do not seek you soul, it seeks you
You do not come to know your soul, it comes to know you
You do not get given a soul, it gets given you
You do not release your soul in death, it releases you

The ego cannot accept this

If you are but the by-product of a multitude that astounds you
And if you acquire this
By your frustration the idea itself
Because so much presses itself
Upon your understanding
That you no longer believe in free will
What complaint have you
Your ego
Your I
Of not knowing nothing else
You're nothing anyway!!

Ego death is not annhilation.
It is emancipation.

You do not cease to exist.
The boundaries that define you cease to exist.

Having no boundaries, 'you' become nothing.
Yet 'nothing' is still apart of 'everything', and thus 'everything' remains.

The experience: There is no You.
The revelation: There is only you.

We are the Universe.

PS.
Mr P, you know what we're talking about.....

Somewhat on topic, which drugs are best effective at creating an ego-loss experience? High doses of acid/shrooms, I would assume, but are there others?

R.M. Shackelford said:
Somewhat on topic, which drugs are best effective at creating an ego-loss experience?

Ketamine :D

Ego loss, for me, is freedom. The sensasion of not existing as me and just existing is extremely liberating.

Mushrooms are the best for ego death in my opinion. Mushrooms have changed my life.

Everything bludda said plus the widest perspective anyone can hope to have.

'If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is: Infinite.' --William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

R.M. Shackelford said:
Somewhat on topic, which drugs are best effective at creating an ego-loss experience? High doses of acid/shrooms, I would assume, but are there others?

Ketamine is by far the most effective drug for achieving ego death.

See Also: Dr. Karl Jensen, Ketamine NDE (Near Death Experiences) studies, Dr. John Lilly's extensive isolation tank reports.

The sun blocks us from seeing stars that are far greater than itself........

ketamine is great for ego death,but ive been all the way under on K and all the way out there on DMT and DMT is by far the more intense of the 2....i duno maybe i just havent done enuff K,ive never shot it but ihave snorted half a gram in 3 lines in about 20 minutes.....dmt just fuckin really kicked my ass into ego death.....i dont remember any of it but i know it happened...all i know is it was beautiful and terrifying

Ego death allows you to experience a state of being free of the attatchments you've used to form your personal identity and use to interpret your experiences. By experiencing ego-loss you are given a glimpse at how significant these attatchments are and how they can effect your life. While the actual experience can be terrifying, retrospective examination of the experience can increase your understanding of who you are and what you value.

That said, not everyone should seek an ego-loss experience. It is very intense and potentially too difficult for some psychonauts to handle with any degree of comfort.

it makes u realize you and your problems are not IT. you are nothing, you are a small part of the whole. makes you realize that you need to appreciate the small things and not worry so much about things that used to bother you (material goods, appearance, etc)