• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Economising on heating: miserly scrooge or just plain common sense?

I have a small oil filled radiator. I wonder if they are safe to use lying down? If so, I can put in next to me in bed. After all, isn't that the deal? Heat the person, not the space?

Better off getting a heated blanket in that case. I lived in one one winter.

-GC

Better off getting a heated blanket in that case. I lived in one one winter.

-GC

I appreciate that - but they have 2 issues. They have timers and 'forever' cannot be selected. The other is that sometimes one wants to get out of bed.

I saw this. It still has the timer but it does use mains electricity. Heated garbs that use USB for power are a joke - either they will take an age to charge or the charge won't last (given limitations of USB to provide power).

I appreciate that - but they have 2 issues. They have timers and 'forever' cannot be selected. The other is that sometimes one wants to get out of bed.

I saw this. It still has the timer but it does use mains electricity. Heated garbs that use USB for power are a joke - either they will take an age to charge or the charge won't last (given limitations of USB to provide power).

Yea I’ll agree the timers suck..

In regards to heated clothes, buy stuff made by tool companies designed for contractors. They are often designed to be used with the companies specific batteries. If you want you pick a giant battery. They heat amazingly and last a long time.

-GC

I have a small oil filled radiator. I wonder if they are safe to use lying down? If so, I can put in next to me in bed. After all, isn't that the deal? Heat the person, not the space?
Heat radiates upwards so no need to lay it down

I'm €200 in credit with my Lecky bill and about to get a €400 bonus so I bought a mobile plug in radiator and use that as much as needed and the original for showers and washing up
Well my living room is so well insulated I usually plug in the mobile oil radiator in my bedroom for about an hour before I go to bed and then turn off and go to bed especially to avoid falling asleep in bed with it heating all night.

Heat radiates upwards so no need to lay it down

To put it under the duvets, next to me - the duvets will also keep the heat of the oil filled radiator within the confines of the bed. Stood up, it might make a nice tent - but my duvets are not QUITE big enough for me to keep all limbs inside.

I get government help because I'm classed as severely disabled. But they have a blind spot for people who are more or less housebound. I THINK I'm also liable to a further £150 Warm Home discount (because I'm classed as severely disabled) but the latter should be paid in March.... but I will believe it when see it.

So I live on £2.20/day for food. That cost of living payment people got, well £300 out of the £324 went into energy account.

I presume the idea is that the elderly and disabled will simply die off. Actually, after this winter, I think there WILL be a large number of excess deaths due to people freezing.

But the 'keep warm now - worry about paying later' is going to see a stack of people on prepayment meters.... which cost more.

But I cannot increase my income so I have to do the best I can. Simple.

If you recieve PIP and Universal credit there should be a range of extras you may be entitled to - see this article:

as well as what's listed there, you can now apply for the Warm Home discount as it's November - your energy company website should have details on how you apply for it. It's worth at least trying, you could end up recieving more than you think this year due to the energy crisis

You don't apply - the government decides who is eligible and the energy company gets the money automatically. Being severely disabled (and getting the severe disability premium) is one way.

I might add, severely disabling oneself isn't a great idea. I'm more or less housebound and so all I can do it keep track of the weather and limit my use until it get's below 7C at night.

You don't apply - the government decides who is eligible and the energy company gets the money automatically. Being severely disabled (and getting the severe disability premium) is one way.

I might add, severely disabling oneself isn't a great idea. I'm more or less housebound and so all I can do it keep track of the weather and limit my use until it get's below 7C at night.

oh right, but you are getting the £650 extra for low-income households right?

can I ask how you severely disabled yourself, or if you don't want to say that's fine

To put it under the duvets, next to me - the duvets will also keep the heat of the oil filled radiator within the confines of the bed. Stood up, it might make a nice tent - but my duvets are not QUITE big enough for me to keep all limbs inside.
Absolutely do not do this, it is asking for a horrendous accident. Stay safe.

oh right, but you are getting the £650 extra for low-income households right?

can I ask how you severely disabled yourself, or if you don't want to say that's fine

Got blown up. But the £650 doesn't even cover the increase in a home where everyone goes out to work for 8 hours a day. The government base their figures on people having heating on for 2 hours in the morning, 4 hours at night. So I have to divide that by 4.... and even so, cost doubled.

Got blown up. But the £650 doesn't even cover the increase in a home where everyone goes out to work for 8 hours a day. The government base their figures on people having heating on for 2 hours in the morning, 4 hours at night. So I have to divide that by 4.... and even so, cost doubled.
If everyone is out at work all day then the number of people in the house makes no difference whatsoever.

If everyone is out at work all day then the number of people in the house makes no difference whatsoever.

They assume that house is EMPTY. Kids go to school, for example.

Sorry for not being utterly explicit on a point I felt was idiotically simple.

I wonder if I could stick two batteries up my arse to send a current through me from the inside. That would warm me up wouldnt it?

Last edited:
Find a fatty to give you some loving.
That will heat you up nae bother.

They assume that house is EMPTY. Kids go to school, for example.

Sorry for not being utterly explicit on a point I felt was idiotically simple.
You said yourself that everybody in the house was out all day.

Don’t blame me for your inability to type what you actually mean😂

Literally you use the word everyone....so according to what you originally posted the house IS empty all day.

Wake up fella👍

I wouldn’t recommend it, plus most electric/oil heaters have a trip switch to turn off in case they’re knocked over so they don’t set the gaff alight.

In the UK almost NOBODY has a solid fuel fire and you can only burn smokeless fuel in them.

I'm doing the same as Bleaney. Nice thermal clothing for now but then I can afford to heat my home properly when it gets REALLY cold. I mean, Todays maximum temperature is 11C, minimum 4C so ones room can get reasonably warm with a BIT of heating - then I just set it so that if the room get's below 10C, the heating kicked it. It kicked in last night, but only for 10-15 minutes... but that made a difference.
I have a fireplace in my living room, I burn whatever I want, recycling rubbish when it’s overflowing, wood, coal, dead cats, whatever I can find.