• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Economising on heating: miserly scrooge or just plain common sense?

My Grandad was Irish, but I think it has more to do with being catholic than Irish!
It’s a bit of a well known joke, having more kids in order to work them in the bog. Being catholic is of course the reason that Irish families tend to be bigger. Also it’s due to the fact that many children died young and having more ensured that some would survive.

Well here's an anomaly, I am a catholic only child (my cousin, another catholic only child, is effectively like my littlesister). It's a consequence of my family having a gene that makes it difficult to carry a foetus to term.
Sorry, not being antagonistic (I've vented in a couple of other threads), just an overwhelming desireto explain (yes, gone full teacher! 😁)

Anyone else in Euroland picked up one of these diesel air heaters yet? About 1/4 the price to run of gas CH. Not great for the environment but better than freezing to death...

reds-pinks-vevor-propane-heaters-zcjrqytj8kwdfklyjv0-64_600.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I've finally had my first gas bill through since changing supplier and since the prices went up in October. I've worked out that if I was to use as much energy throughout year as I did during November and December, (including that freak extra cold 10 days in mid December), then I would be paying £1500 a year. Obviously I wont use as much gas all year round as I did in November and December, so maybe my annual bill will be around £1000. Which is about a £250 increase on what I was spending previously. And far short of the predicted £2500 based on the average consumption of a small terraced house.

Fucking media scaremongering again! And I fell for it this time. Hook, Line, and Sinker. I should have know better by now, but I should think that the stories that the media were running about the energy prices would have struck fear into all but the most comfortable off and financially secure.

But the laughably named "price cap" goes up from £2500 to £3000 in April as the government will reduce their subsidies from then. Hopefully that won't make too much of a difference, but I'll be treating the prices the media quotes with more scepticism from now on.

Last edited:
I live where we have cold winters and heat my bedroom entirely by the heat of my computer. The room stays betweet 72-76 F even in the coldest parts of winter (outside ambient -10 F). The rest of my home has steam heat but only 1/2 radiators are on. The drawback is it adds that much to cooling my bedroom in summer so no real net gain.

Can't win for losing, can you... :unsure:

Last edited:
I live where we have cold winters and heat my bedroom entirely by the heat of my computer. The room stays betweet 72-76 F even in the coldest parts of winter (outside ambient -10 F). The rest of my home has steam heat but only 1/2 radiators are on. The drawback is it adds that much to cooling my bedroom in summer so no real net gain.

Can't win for losing, can you... :unsure:

How come your home is so warm in such extremely cold temperatures, with the very minimal heat that a computer would generate?

In the UK it seems that without heating, living rooms will stay at about 10 C (50 F) even when it is literally freezing at 0 C and below outside. That was the case with the recent freezing spell that lasted about 10 days. Any residual warmth would probably gradually ebb away the longer any freezing spells were to persist. Fortunately I haven't had to go a prolonged period of freezing weather with no heating in my living room in recent memory, so I can't remember how soon the internal temperatures would drop away severely.

Last edited:
I live in a 98 year old home. About 5 years ago I needed a new roof. When they tore the roof I had them insulate it to R-60. It's amazingly warm compared to the old construction.

so imagine this

i pay 200 euro for what is my home pc that i dont do much on, for 10gpbs but is nice to have amarite

and like they dont bother to give me cat7, now this is way back.. I had to generate a default then to go to someone who knows how to tie internet cables. Then.. I bought a ASUS router and complained I dont use the Huwaei one well fuck you 4x4 on ice, everyone is different. After 2 roads of papers and all of that I could finally use my Heavengate DNS cache from my business PC and bc of that they limited me to 1GB then I re-routed the cache to have a backup in router so noe I have 2 LAN's setup and one of them shows as active when in reality doesnt send any KB/s.

Fuck you, PrismaCloud.

I still pay them bc they're best from all ISP i've tried, they offer a constant 6GB/s in maintenance stages when blackout goes in hood.

they also raised my internet bill with 5 more euro

wtf
In the UK you can easily get reliable, unlimited, and fast broadband for about £25 a month. Is that cheaper than other countries? I don't know.

There are better deals available, a new cut price provider has emerged but I couldn't get on to them in time, as my current ISP has cunningly forced me to sign lengthy 12 or 24 month contract by making the price about £10 more per month if you don't do that. And the new provider wasn't going to be ready for several months, and so with the wait and having to pay £10 more every month with the original provider, this would have cancelled out any gains.