• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Economising on heating: miserly scrooge or just plain common sense?

Which country is this? If it's anywhere as cold and damp as the UK that can't be good for her health.
I know but it's her choice I mentioned the health aspect but she said she layers up and used to sleep rough throughout many a winter. Scotland lol edit: it's amazing what people will do for the environment then u get celebrities travelling to space for no reason 🤦‍♀️😅

Last edited:
Do you not have back boilers in the UK? I have a log burner and have a back boiler behind it meaning when I light the fire it also heats all my radiators. Having a log burner means I can pretty much keep it on 24/7 as you can turn it down at night to just keep it ticking over until the morning time. We use coal/wood/turf and it’s not that expensive at all to be honest. I can’t remember the last time I turned on the oil heating as we use it so little, mainly put on timer for when I’m on holiday as you don’t want pipes freezing etc.

Do you not have back boilers in the UK?
As far as I know we don't have these. Definitely not in the big towns and cities at least, where there are smokeless fuel by-laws. Maybe some people have such set ups in more rural areas, I don't know. It sounds like a good idea / set up that more people over here could benefit from if legislation permits it.

Was talking to someone tonight who doesn't use her heating at all ever for the environment they just layer up. It's bcoz they were used to living outside in winter though - fair play to them!!

If it's by choice that's fucking retarded

As far as I know we don't have these. Definitely not in the big towns and cities at least, where there are smokeless fuel by-laws. Maybe some people have such set ups in more rural areas, I don't know. It sounds like a good idea / set up that more people over here could benefit from if legislation permits it.
There's one in a rental, they're still out there, not as common as they once were. It is getting removed shortly and replaced with a new boiler/central heating system.

My folks ripped out their Stanley range in Ireland this year because turf prices are going nuts as it's illegal to cut now and gets imported from Latvia instead to "reduce emissions"

They have always burned turf for their 80+ years as their parents before them and so on

It's replaced with a pellet stove and the diesel boiler now heats the house as no more back boiler without the range

Also this means using a fucking immersion heater for hot water which will probably skyrocket their utility costs

• Haha
Reactions: CFC
Thats cheap cfc. I went in argos last week and got an electric blanket for £50 for the bed and an electric overthrow for £60.

I would recomend em tho - no need for heating with an electric throw wrapped around you.

Sheesh - I just checked the prices and you're right. Inflation has been taking a heavy toll on electric blankets! :woah:

Well, economising on heating isn't going to do you much good, if you've shuffled off this mortal coil, due to hypothermia (more relavant for old fuckers, like me).
My approach: tell any firm wanting to fit smart meters to "fuck off and die" (all smart meters mean is they can disconnect you remotely. Other than that, they have to visit your dwelling to do that and you don't have to give them access). Let them try and get a warrant to enter your house, to do that, especially in winter, with this economic climate. Twats in Westminster can levy a windfall tax, seeing the obscene profits being made by energy companies...

Do you not have back boilers in the UK? I have a log burner and have a back boiler behind it meaning when I light the fire it also heats all my radiators. Having a log burner means I can pretty much keep it on 24/7 as you can turn it down at night to just keep it ticking over until the morning time. We use coal/wood/turf and it’s not that expensive at all to be honest. I can’t remember the last time I turned on the oil heating as we use it so little, mainly put on timer for when I’m on holiday as you don’t want pipes freezing etc.

I grew up with one, but being forced to clean out the ashes every day was a right drag for us kiddies compared to the wonders of just pressing a button and having instant heating. Myself and brother also managed to overstoke/oxygenate the thing with coke once (experimenting, as kids do) and the entire burner went orange and the inch thick metal partially melted and glass windows fell out (cost a fair penny to replace lol). My god it was fucking hot! Fortunately the fireplace was a huge old 16th century thing or else I suspect the entire house would have burnt down.

My folks ripped out their Stanley range in Ireland this year because turf prices are going nuts as it's illegal to cut now and gets imported from Latvia instead to "reduce emissions"

They have always burned turf for their 80+ years as their parents before them and so on

It's replaced with a pellet stove and the diesel boiler now heats the house as no more back boiler without the range

Also this means using a fucking immersion heater for hot water which will probably skyrocket their utility costs

Fucking imported peat to reduce emissions - that pretty much sums up the whole farce really doesn't it lol :ROFLMAO:

It’s illegal to cut commercially. We have our own bog that you cut by hand and I can tell you, that is a work out! We have all our turf cut for the winter this year thankfully.

It’s a really old law in Ireland that everyone living in rural area got their own bog, even if it’s on someone else’s land it’s designated as yours. Ours in on a ladies land and she makes it super hard for us to get to but feck her… I’ll walk the mile down the track with it!!! Turf is great!

It’s illegal to cut commercially. We have our own bog that you cut by hand and I can tell you, that is a work out! We have all our turf cut for the winter this year thankfully.

It’s a really old law in Ireland that everyone living in rural area got their own bog, even if it’s on someone else’s land it’s designated as yours. Ours in on a ladies land and she makes it super hard for us to get to but feck her… I’ll walk the mile down the track with it!!! Turf is great!
Yeah we own some too but haven't hand-cut since I was a real small kid

Prob too heavy work for my old man now as he's pushing towards 90, plus the big we have is too wet to support maxhinery

I was thinking turf in terms of lawns. Why is MzDiz so relieved her front lawn is cut this year? 😀

Yeah we own some too but haven't hand-cut since I was a real small kid

Prob too heavy work for my old man now as he's pushing towards 90, plus the big we have is too wet to support maxhinery
Tis why the Irish have so many kids, free labour! 😜