• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] First Plateau Trips

The slow drinking approach I unlikely to be very effective, unfortunately. DXM is best taken as a single bolus, as it is most effective this way. The single best way to counter DXM nausea is to take between 25 and 75 mg (1-3 pills) of meclizine HCL (otherwise known as dramamine 2, which is OTC everywhere in the US) about an hour before drinking the syrup. ANd as far as diluting it, that doesn't help much, although some say mixing it with ,lemonade can be helpful. Try buying generic DXM only syrups, as they are typically thinner than standard robitussin (or, alternately, buy cough gels, which are tasteless, and cause minimal nausea)

DXM nausea is really toxic-feeling, I agree, and has a tendency to bring on panicky feelings if its the first time it happens to you. Cannabis is also very good at banishing nausea when its already started, but it can make the experience much more intense (if you're a DXM fan that might be something worth trying though).

Redosing with DXM doesn't work so well, so the sipping juice idea wouldn't work too well. Basically if you want to hit a certain plateau, take your dose all at once for it to work.

I find it easiest to just drink the syrup. There are also robitussin cough gels which are pills. There is also an extraction technique

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=257562&highlight=dxm+extraction

I have no experience with that

Disclaimer: Careful doing any... basement chemistry. Be aware of what you put in your body, you are the only one responsible for that :)

Dramamine and cough gels are both good ideas I will look into.

I've only ever had a 300mg DXM dose once and it was with cannabis, this combination worked out quite well. If anything, the more intense the better. As long as I can counter the nausea I will be able to handle more syrup next time.

I've read many extraction techniques and I'm fairly against it. I'm no chemist at the best of times. I'll perform a CWE but even then that's stretching it.

Thank you for your input! you learn something every day.

15 years ago when I was in highschool we would drink Robotussin every weekend. With that said I would recommend you use the generic store brand Tussin rather than purchasing name brand Robotussin. Not only does it contain the same amount of DXM its half the price AND is alot more liquidy making it much easier to chug...... have fun and be safe

150 mg isnt that high of a dose but if its only dxm in it, it would be a good starter dose for someone who hasnt tried it yet

I would take a low dose and see how it effects you like a 100mgs and then after that start tripping with dose's in the 300 - 600 mg range for awhile. And then if you feel like you want too even start going up into the 800 mg 1 gram range. I find my sweet spot to be right around 500 mgs personally.

you also might want to consider extracting the DXM from the syrup then cappin the powder in gel caps..... One pill can equal an 8 oz bottle of robotussin

Best just to take all at once. While this may seem counter productive, I've found that it hits hardest on the stomach when its empty,
so to have a little food 10-25 min. afterward helps, without too much of a strain on absorption.

I'll have to check out this cough spray.
Never found the tussin to be too bad to take down, but for high doses it can be a bit of a strain.

Last edited:
I just found out they sell these otc in my country

Its DXM hydrobromide 15mg x 10tabs

Does anyone have any experience with these? I read most on here use it in liquid form.

I did a search and dose I found ranged from 100 mg to 1200 mg

Be careful that the tablets don't contain anything else, particularly paracetamol or Chlorpheniramine maleate.

Lachlan said:
Now I've experimented with DXM cough syrup such as Robitussin DX which is only DXM and things have worked out quite well except for the taste or more the nausea.

I have tried Syrup and Coca-Cola which was hard to get down and the nausea was quite uncomfortable and resulted in a couple short bouts of dry heaving and thoughts of death. (which was fine but sort of uncomfortable as you could imagine)

I was wondering is there is something you can mix the syrup into that would be a better alternative to drinking it straight? perhaps something as neutral as water? or juice perhaps?

I was also thinking of low 20-50ml doses of the syrup in big glasses of juice which would be sipped over the period of an hour and refilled with the same mixture until the correct dose has been reached.

Any input would be appreciated.

I usually measure out doses using a medicine cup then just shot them and chase with something strong tasting. IME it's more the bitter taste of the dxm that makes you feel nauseas rather than the rest of the syrup.

Last edited:
DXM question (first time)

First of all:
Hi, I am new and here only to ask a question, and it would be awesome if it would be answered :)

I bought some cough medicine today, capsules, containing ~30mg DXM each.
I ground 3 of them into a fine powder, with a mortar and I dissolved it in water.
I thought a 90mg dose would be enough to feel at least a little bit.
1.5 hours later I took another pill and did the same. After a while still no effect.
Than a half hour later I bought some cough syrup, containing a 300ml bottle cotaining 1.5mg/ml. I took 8 spoons (5 ml each, 60 mg DXM total).
Than 1 hour later, still nothing. So I took another 60mg dose.
I'm at 240mg now and still nothing.

I should be at the first plateau according to alot of websites.
It has been ~4,5 hours since I took the first dose. How is it possible that I am not feeling anything? Is it because I should do everything in 1 time or are some people immune to DXM? The only things I ate were bread in the morning and a chocolate bar at 11 am. My first dose was at 14:15, so it was on a pretty empty stomache.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I weigh around 85-90 kilo's (~190 lbs)

Last edited:
First of all:
Hi, I am new and here only to ask a question, and it would be awesome if it would be answered :)

I bought some cough medicine today, capsules, containing ~30mg DXM each.
I ground 3 of them into a fine powder, with a mortar and I dissolved it in water.
I thought a 90mg dose would be enough to feel at least a little bit.
1.5 hours later I took another pill and did the same. After a while still no effect.
Than a half hour later I bought some cough syrup, containing a 300ml bottle cotaining 1.5mg/ml. I took 8 spoons (5 ml each, 60 mg DXM total).
Than 1 hour later, still nothing. So I took another 60mg dose.
I'm at 240mg now and still nothing.

I should be at the first plateau according to alot of websites.
It has been ~4,5 hours since I took the first dose. How is it possible that I am not feeling anything? Is it because I should do everything in 1 time or are some people immune to DXM? The only things I ate were bread in the morning and a chocolate bar at 11 am. My first dose was at 14:15, so it was on a pretty empty stomache.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I weigh around 85-90 kilo's (~190 lbs)

It's because you should have taken everything at one time.

Wait at least a few days (preferrably a week or two or more) and then try again, but this time take it all at once. 240 should be a fine dose for a beginner, I took 280 and it was a great trip. Just lie down, put some music on and turn off the lights. It works good in the pitch dark with eyes closed.

^I find that a dark environment is more likely to give you anxious thoughts but that may just be a personal thing.

To damienx, 240mg for your weight would barely be a 2nd plateau dose. That's probably a good starting dose, if that's what you're aiming for. Make sure you'll have no distractions, have plenty of water and a bucket on hand (just in case). Good music is essential, try something that has the general feel of what you want your trip to have (energetic, epic, spiritual etc). I tend to go for 'beautiful' music. Try some visualisations with the music and see if you get CEVs at any point.

Also make sure your DXM product doesn't have any other nasties in it! You want DXM as the only active ingredient.

dxm isn't a drug that has one type of high. In my experience, it can be used in many settings. a good thing to do is set out to do something, or make a goal for the trip. it will keep you on track and stop you from being bored. I noticed you said you found medecine with 30mg/capsule, well if you are using coricidin stop now. trust me, you dont want to go down that road.

your best bet is, again, a dxm only source, or extract it if you have to. as for eating, normally having something acidic in you is good for dxm use since it only slightly water soluble.

try not to consume alcohol, especially if you took something other than dxm, but if you want to mix, try some weed.

^I did that with DXM and MDMA. Serotonin Syndrome hurts. It's like the kind of flu that makes you wish that there was a self-destruct button located somewhere on your body.

^I did that with DXM and MDMA. Serotonin Syndrome hurts. It's like the kind of flu that makes you wish that there was a self-destruct button located somewhere on your body.

I don't want to even begin to know what it's like.
I've had problems with severe anxiety and withdrawals from numerous drugs that at one point made me think I was going through serotonin syndrome, but I guess I wasn't... or maybe I was, I'll never really know.

I read up on dxm and the plateaus you can achieve, and I realize that I have never hit the first plateau. I seem to be stuck in a high 2nd maybe a low 3rd plateau. This is fine, I definitely don't want to go any higher, my experiences I have had have been great enough.

BUT after reading, It seemed that the 1st plateau had alot of the same qualities as a low dose of mdma. Euphoria associated with music and motion. Those are my favorite qualities about e is the motion and music euphoria.

The article I read was from a post i found in this forum. It said that people tend to skip the first plateau because they usually overshoot to a 2nd level without knowing or wanting to. But when they practice and finally get it right, it actually said people like to move, roll around, do cartwheels, dance, all of the above gave them euphoric feelings. The motion euphoria was compared to "free falling"....

Now that may all sound funny, but if you think about it it sounds just like rolling. If I were really able to capture the 1st level, would I be able to compare it to rolling or is that article just off the wall? Here is the link to my source of info
http://www.third-plateau.org/faq/dxm_faq.shtml

Also what dose would I need to take to hit that level. I am 150 lbs right now, I just had a baby, and 5ft 3. SO what would be good to try and hit the 1st plateau with?:\

I think I hit this platue once off 400mgs, I felt like my body was made of glue, and when i'd lay down it felt like I was free falling. I was tripping hard but was very social. It wasn't much like MDMA tho' I'd say more like alchohol combined with a little nitrous. however another time I took the same exact dose using the same brand of cough syrup and spent the whole trip throwing up in the bathroom thinking i was dieing. It was completely opposite from my previous trip. Its a gamble with DXM

I'll have to check out this cough spray.
Never found the tussin to be too bad to take down, but for high doses it can be a bit of a strain.
That should help a bit.

Just gotta love Dex.

watch out for glutusemine (wrong spelling) in ingredients, It can make you sick and kills the liver.