• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Drugs age you physically faster then normal?

It's definitely a thing, primarily with stimulant abuse. Not sure there's a standard amount of time in which drugs will age you, it depends on a lot of different factors, such as amount of sleep, hydration, nutrition, etc.

I disagree. Plenty of people are able to quit and not be on maintenance. As well, a lot of the rewiring of your endorphin system is totally temporary and gets better the longer you're sober, whereas with things like meth that are directly neurotoxic, your dopamine system can get totally ravaged after long term heavy use, no matter how long you're sober for, life just doesn't have the same spark.
Agreed, just go look at the old dope fiends in NA ,most of them look pretty good for their age, especially with teeth in 😬😬

This is funny man. D.A.R.E. programs really fucked us all over. We had the opportunity to learn candidly and honestly about drugs as children, but instead were fed melodrama that really is of no use to us as adults.

First, not all "drugs" are the same. Some are decidedly more harmful to the body than others and that's just how it is. Next, I think drugs rob us of the ability to give our bodies what they need to thrive. Alcohol is the biggest culprit in this regard. So many people in the west drink Alcohol and it is not a kind substance to the body. It dehydrates, causes fat to build up in the liver and stimulates appetite for salty and fatty foods. It's just bad. So yea, a lot of people who drink are gonna be overweight, lazier, slower, just less healthy after years of drinking... in general. Of course, some people never suffer ill effects from anything. This is not the norm though.

Methamphetamine is really big now in my area. As someone who was a pretty rugged junkie for a decade, I can only describe its effects as devastating in relativity to what I have seen Opioids do. I have seen Methamphetamine age people 10 years in 2 years. There are many mechanisms behind this, but yes, it tends to age people hard and fast and most sadly, irreversibly.

Opioids cause damage through secondary vectors. as it were. Opioids aren't really "harmful" to the body per se. They are harmful to the mind in that they are a shortcut to happiness that is hard to forget. I believe the worst curse of Opioid dependence is that you're tied to it for life. You will always want them. But they don't cause harm in the same way that Meth does. In general, Opioid addicts on the street are more punished by life on the street than anything else. The fact that their singular purpose is dope basically turn them into a Smigel who foregoes everything else in favor of more dope.

There are things like Abscesses and of course, Hepatits C and HIV which used to rip through our community but are now widely considered to be treatable chronic conditions with decent outcomes.

I feel like opioids do the opposite. They slow down the aging process. This only seems to be the case with non-IV opioids. IVing any drug will wear you down.

Seems to do something for the skin:

13 years of heroin did fuck all damage but i never injected but the coke pregabs and crack fuck up the inside. In india you see loads of men in their 70s and 80s been using pods and raw opium since they young with no health concerns . They believe it keeps their blood sugar level down

Are you okay?
Im ok but had drug-induced kidney failure a little while ago i was smashing pregabs stopped for a while then went and brought a few thousand more pills and now i feel the dull ache again have cut right down and stopped the phenibut which seemed to make it worse .

Drugs can reduce or increase the speed of aging depending on how you balance their reduction of appetite with a healthy nutrient intake.

More calories = quicker aging

Not enough nutrients = damage to body = (practically) quicker aging

This is an uneducated overgeneralization, take it with a grain of salt.

Im ok but had drug-induced kidney failure a little while ago i was smashing pregabs stopped for a while then went and brought a few thousand more pills and now i feel the dull ache again have cut right down and stopped the phenibut which seemed to make it worse .
Is that even a real durg?

Omg thats horrible! Im so glad your okayy

I think it's mostly stimulants that age you faster.
I was on Amphetamine for a couple of months in a row about 2 years ago and like 5% of my beard went from black to Gandalf white.
I mean any time I get a new white hair it's always straight to white, never had a grey hair yet.
But the amount that became white at once was no coincidence.

I dunno I’m 30 , hit drugs hard from 15-27 , still can pass as 21. I still use just not every day anymore

Mostly opiates and Benzos tho Im not a big stimulant person…. But yes my insides are like an 80year olds

Last edited:
It depends on the drug. Stimulants age you whereas I feel opiates and cannabis actually slow down aging to some extent. It’s all about how you treat your body in the off time. I’ve seen every sort of drug user that looks like shit cuz they don’t eat right and exercise.

My DOC’s always been opiates and cannabis, I look like I’m a decade younger (to some people). My eyes are what usually give away my real age, as I’ve been told they look “seasoned” like I’ve been through some shit. No wrinkles but just that feeling you get when you look into someone’s eyes and for a moment can feel a part of them, where they’ve been in life.

-GC

The most accurate response, no matter what the drug of choice is:
IT Depends! On factors such as:
- Genetics (huge factor)
- Social use/ Abuse/ Length of time abusing
- Amounts ingested during sessions/binges
- Physical activity/ what you put in your body besides drugs i.e. nutrients
- Recovery periods between sessions/abuse
- Other environmental exposures

I've seen people into there 90's still enjoying a daily beer and occassional joint.....And complete fitness freaks (non drinkers, drugs etc) drop dead in their 50's....

I think the greatest takeway is enjoy everything in somewhat moderation and don't go overboard too often for too long....
LL

LL

Ive read this so many times online but is it true? If so approx how long do you have to abuse to start ageing? Will it happen to me 😱
Nicotine and also heavy alcohol consumption can age your skin faster. So don't become a chain smoker if you value your youthful looks. Xd

... In general though it's the lifestyle associated with major drug use, rather than most substances themselves, that have this effect. I mean if you're neglecting your nutrition and general hygiene 'cause all you do is take drugs all day, then obviously you're not doing yourself any favours.
I looked older when I was 19 than I do now at 28 because my general state of health was abysmal, I hardly ate and what I did eat was generally crap, didn't exactly spend any time on skincare, and I was so skinny my clothes were falling off me and my cheeks looked hollow.

Yes, it does happen a lot, especially with Methamphetamines.
This is not really ageing but, yknow..pumping your body full of toxic stuff that should never get into your body.
You are existentially subordinate.

Meth doesn’t make you look like this:
oGotiFZ.jpg

It makes you look like this:

tZNQtkt.jpg

Methamphetamine is good for the body, good for the brain, so long as you don’t abuse it.

Methamphetamine is brain-candy in low doses.

Methamphetamine is the missing evolutionary link.

Stop With The Lies Already:

TEOtcny.png

5NKX04l.jpg