• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug documentaries on TV / Internet

BBC Horizon, Cannabis: The Evil Weed
A history, interviews with users, experiments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKaZFZeTeu8

VH1: The Drug Years Part 1-4
One of my favourite drug documentaries. A detailed history of drug culture starting out with the Beat generation to present day Intertwined with music and social culture at large which made it even better for me.
http://www.mininova.org/tor/392752 (sorry only have a torrent link).

American Drug War: The Last White Hope
The political side of drugs. Analyses the people who supply and fight the war against drugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FownRZmnd1I&feature=related

Bigger, Stronger, Faster
"About the use of anabolic steroids as performance-enhancing drugs in the United States and how this practice relates to the American Dream". I know its not exactly what people are probably after but its really good doco about something most people have misconceptions about.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=YXCEJSM9

It's all i can think of at the moment. I recommend Ecstasy Rising, Beneath the Mirror Ball and The Ice Age (especially the last 2 because they're australian focused) if you haven't seen them.

dont know if anyones mentioned it

but theres an alright one on youtube called methadonia

its about methadone addiction

Bigger, Stronger, Faster
"About the use of anabolic steroids as performance-enhancing drugs in the United States and how this practice relates to the American Dream". I know its not exactly what people are probably after but its really good doco about something most people have misconceptions about.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=YXCEJSM9

I have to say that is one of the best doco's I've seen.

Anyone who is remotely interested in steroids should watch it.

Watching the strike dateline interview atm. Only in part 1. Such biased reporting argh! Not a fan.

I watched a doco called "last hippie standing - a goa documentary" While its not 100% about drugs, they do make a quite a few appearances.

Also watched attack of the happy people for the first time yesterday too. Interesting the way the drug use is juxtaposed with he conflict in that part of the world. Certainly some awesome and wild party footage in there. Almost makes me want to go to israel for that alone hehe.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Very informative, thanks for the tip. Note that the site hosting this movie expects you to pay to see the second half, and quality is so so. However, a better quality copy is available online if you know where to look.

HBO documentary: Black Tar Heroin: Dark End of the Streets

Excellent documentary from a few years ago about the scene in San Francisco.

^ agreed, def worth the view. An interesting point is made that they aren't being marketed as a "safe" alternative but as a "safer" alternative.

The test results discussed in the doco sheds some light on the recent decision to pull certain party pills from sale here in australia...

In the legal highs doco, they show a RC user a video about some MPTP users developing Parkinson's disease like symptoms. Does anyone know where a copy of this video can be found? Google shows some results but they're all in Spanish... I reckon it'd be an interesting watch, if anyone can find it in English.

It's an adaptation of the book "The Case of the Frozen Addict". It was filmed by Horizon, a BBC documentary channel. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available online. NOVA has it listed, but it's not available from there either.

From NOVA
In July 1982, a 42-year-old addict in a San Jose, California jail became paralyzed—unable to move or talk. His symptoms, caused by a bad batch of synthetic heroin, were indistinguishable from those associated with Parkinson's disease, a degenerative nerve disorder that strikes the elderly. NOVA traces the story of a "designer" drug which could lead to a major medical breakthrough.
Original broadcast date: 02/18/86
Topic: medicine/disease & research

We watched this doco. It may have been aired on the ABC, but it was at least 15 years ago so my memory's a bit fuzzy on exactly what channel it was. However, it is one of the most incredible docos I've ever watched and the story was something neither of us will ever forget.

If you've seen Awakenings with Robin Williams and were touched by it, this story might just do the same. Watching these people reduced to a totally motionless state, is truly heartbreaking. The rapid onset of Parkinson's disease the MPTP-MPPP users experienced was caused by a single exposure to a toxin precursor, rather than from the typical cascade of endogenous processes that normally causes the problem; loss of dopamine cells in the substantia nigra.

In attempting to provide a pharmacological based therapy, L-dopa was administered and the results were extreme. Patients received little comfort, and, as with patients who develop a tolerance to the drug, or for whom the disease advances, responses were typically uncontrollable jerking movements. Very sad.

Then, a Swedish team announced they were doing fetal stem cell transplants. Unfortunately, regular Parkinson's sufferers who received the cells only experienced short term relief. This was determined to be because the underlying mechanisms responsible for initially causing the problem were still present. But with the MPTP patients, the toxin (or toxin precursor) responsible for the ailment was long gone. It had been further metabolised and eliminated shortly after the onset of the disease. In the end all 7 patients received the treatment and all made a complete recovery.

To see these people walking and talking normally after something like 6 years of being completely motionless was about as close to a miracle of science as it gets. A 'curse' and a 'miracle' both brought about by science, the curse being unexpected dehydration of a tertiary alcohol when attempting esterfication to produce the synthetic opioid MPPP (1-methyl-4-phenyl-4-propionoxypiperidine), and stem cell implants resulting in a complete cure.

200px-MPPP.svg.png

MPPT

200px-MPTP.svg.png

MPTP

To understand more of what happened for those of you who don't know about MPTP or it's metabolic toxin MPP+, check out this paper hosted by Erowid.

1-Methyl-4-Phenyl-1,2,3,6-Tetrahydropyridine (MPTP): One Designer Drug and Serendipity

^ That's an amazing story, thanks. Wish I could find the video... if anyone does, please share! :)

Can I get High Legally?

Enjoyed this although I felt quite a few things were not said or kept from the audience, particularly in regards to synthetics. I thought the topic was well addressed though, and overall it presented an interesting but not so surprising picture of the legal highs industry. At one point, the producer attempts to make contact with a few reps from companies marketing legal highs on the internet. One person claimed they didn't sell them anymore and others declined to be interviewed. Finally he found someone who was willing to be interviewed. Some interesting comments also from a Forensic Toxicologist.

These movies titles were found on the list Da_pronga linked to

Cannabis the Evil Weed- BBC Horizon 2009

Also a reasonable doco and covers most things to do with dope, including origins and some history of use. There's an interesting part which looks at behavior and memory in rats that were exposed to THC when young, and how that might correlate to humans. In short, it looks at both the good and bad and IMO is a well balanced presentation.

The Drug Years
(four part doco)

This 4 part series was broadcast in 2006. Covering early drug use and the rise of the beat generation and hippy movements, the first 2 parts of this movie look at how the use of drugs like marijuana and LSD influenced the anti establishment movements of the 50's and 60's. At a time when LSD popularity was increasing rapidly despite legislation prohibiting manufacture and supply, it's interesting to see how product marketing of everything from deodorant to records was aimed squarely at drug using and more 'hip'
consumers. The show goes on to addresses the changes in attitude toward drug use in the 70's from all angles; the drug using public, the anti-drug movement and authorities. It addresses the Vietnam fallout - heroin addiction, and cocaine use with the disco scenes of the late 70's and 80's. MDMA is also covered towards the end. All in all worth watching.

Howard Marks: Mr Nice and a Video Diary.

If you've read his books you might want to see this. The first is a B/W vid of one of Mark's comedy performances. It's pretty predictable, but there are a few funny bits. The second was made before his third book Senor Nice with the book describing how he eventually found the old passport he attempts to dig up in a park. So, is it any good? Well, I found it more entertaining than the first film, and he's certainly behaves the way you'd expect, so if you're an in your face ganga fan, I'm sure you'll find something of value.

^ I have been watching that on National Geographic lately and it is pretty good, it isn't completely unbiased but it is much better than many (the meth one was pretty biased but its hard to think of any unbiased ones..) I particularly liked the one on heroin.

It is on at 8.30pm on Monday's and I think they re-run it at the same time on Thursdays. There have been 3 episodes shown so far and they were heroin, methamphetamine and cocaine, in that order.

I have seen dozens of drug related docos and my favourite, the one to recomend is "should i smoke dope?" BBC. worth a watch is Penn and Tellers ep of Bullshit on drugs. Cant watch intervention unless i have a shot myself cause it's such a tease.