• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Don't feel the Codeine

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Dear Bluelighters.

How long does it take to feel the effects of codeine? Because 45 min ago I took 120 mg and I still don't feel anything. Not even itchy or nauseous.

Is it likely that my abuse of tramadol (400-1000mg daily) has created tolerance to codeine? I always thought tramadol was not cross-tolerant with other opioids.

Can I do something to potentiate it? Weed? grapefruit juice? benzo?

thx.

Dear Bluelighters.

How long does it take to feel the effects of codeine? Because 45 min ago I took 120 mg and I still don't feel anything. Not even itchy or nauseous.

Is it likely that my abuse of tramadol (400-1000mg daily) has created tolerance to codeine? I always thought tramadol was not cross-tolerant with other opioids.

thx.
like 3 hrs for me but even without a tolerance i needed like 250mg+ to feel the effects when i was 15 years old lols.

Dear Bluelighters.

thx.
weeed and benzos can potentiate the FX. actually WEED, benzos potentiate the sedation but not the high itself. for the high try cannabis.

like 3 hrs for me but even without a tolerance i needed like 250mg+ to feel the effects when i was 15 years old lols.

That's a lot of time. I thought codeine was shorter onset than tramadol or odsmt.

Can you redose codeine? I mean, can I take a little more if I can't feel something or should I wait some time?

Can you redose codeine? I mean, can I take a little more if I can't feel something or should I wait some time?
yeah, well those were the first times i took it. i think in an hr and a half u can feel it. i was thinking like when i was 15 XD
i recommend you to take an antihistamine with it btw, it's gonna make you blush like fuck and feel kinda uncomfortable. take clorpheniramine with it.

yeah, well those were the first times i took it. i think in an hr and a half u can feel it. i was thinking like when i was 15 XD
i recommend you to take an antihistamine with it btw, it's gonna make you blush like fuck and feel kinda uncomfortable. take clorpheniramine with it.

Ok thank you man.

If in 1.5 hrs I dont feel much, can I take a little more??

As far as I can remember, both codeine and tramadol are processed via the CYP2D6 enzyme. So re-dosing under the influence of either may reduce the effects. Personally I always found they worked well together.

As far as I can remember, both codeine and tramadol are processed via the CYP2D6 enzyme. So re-dosing under the influence of either may reduce the effects. Personally I always found they worked well together.

I thought the same. For that reason, I took 300 mg. of tramadol 3 hours before take codeine. So, in total I took 300mg of tramadol and 250mg of codeine. Like you said maybe the tramadol blocked the effects of codeine but I read a lot of stories of people combining both. I didn't even feel the characteristic itching, sedation or nodding.
I think my large daily doses of tramadol definitely create a degree of cross tolerance.

120mg is a lot for someone who doesnt use regularly. That's half a box of cocodamol.
If nothing is felt within an hour I'd become suspicious of the supposed mg.
I've done cold water extract more times than can count, always kicks in from 5 - 15 mins.
Regarding the post about 3 hour delay, I imagine a lot of codeine has metabolized away by that point.
Certainly 3 hours would put you past the peak and coming down.

120mg is a lot for someone who doesnt use regularly. That's half a box of cocodamol.
If nothing is felt within an hour I'd become suspicious of the supposed mg.
I've done cold water extract more times than can count, always kicks in from 5 - 15 mins.
Regarding the post about 3 hour delay, I imagine a lot of codeine has metabolized away by that point.
Certainly 3 hours would put you past the peak and coming down.

It was codeine syrup 10 mg/5 ml. Could that be a factor? The only thing I got was a very dry mouth and a mild stomach upset. I feel disappointed because I can feel 250 mg of tramadol but codeine not much.

I think it's your tolerance to Tramadol (and Opioids in general) that's making you not feel the effect of Codeine. They both bind to Opioids receptors.
Back when I was on Tramadol everyday, I never felt the effect of Codeine either, but it would enhance the effect when I took them together. Now that I'm only taking Tramadol only a couple of times a week in low doses, whenever I take Codeine (though it's rare) I would feel its mild effect.

It depends on your genetics. Since codeine is a morphine prodrug it needs to be metabolized by CYP2D6, some people can't do that very well so codeine barely works for them (or they need pretty high doses).
I myself am the opposite case, my body does that pretty efficiently and I start feeling the effects of codeine (morphine actually) within 20min or less on a semi-empty stomach, I'm the same with tramadol as well.

The first time I took codeine I definitely felt even 60mg but usually took about 120-140mg for a stronger effect.

But in your case it's probably due to your tramadol use as well.

It depends on your genetics. Since codeine is a morphine prodrug it needs to be metabolized by CYP2D6, some people can't do that very well so codeine barely works for them (or they need pretty high doses).
I myself am the opposite case, my body does that pretty efficiently and I start feeling the effects of codeine (morphine actually) within 20min or less on a semi-empty stomach, I'm the same with tramadol as well.

The first time I took codeine I definitely felt even 60mg but usually took about 120-140mg for a stronger effect.

Recently, codeine-6-glucuronide was actually found to be the primary active metabolite rather than morphine. Which makes sense, codeine and morphine have very different effects imo.

Recently, codeine-6-glucuronide was actually found to be the primary active metabolite rather than morphine. Which makes sense, codeine and morphine have very different effects imo.

I haven't read that particular study but I thought they were talking about the analgesic effects only, which isn't necessarily the same as the euphoria you get from recreational doses which are generally much higher. I would think that the recreational effects (which become apparent only at "high" doses) are due to a combination of morphine (and its metabolites) and possibly C6G as well, would explain why some people don't find codeine to be recreational but still get some pain relief from it. I could be wrong thought, gonna look at some recent studies.

IME the effects of codeine and morphine are pretty similar if you take them on an empty stomach, at least for the first hour or so. Morphine seemed to last longer though.

Hey, what's up, I use tramadol similar to you and I can say that the effects of codeine are nothing for me anymore. It doesn't work anymore, even tramadol doesn't feel like it works and taking more than 1500mg seems stupid to me now, I've been taking hydrocodone for a few days, combining 40mg of hydro with codeine or tramadol was the only way to make it work. At this point, the strongest opiate I can get is hydrocodone, and quite expensive, so I think about stopping using them for this reason.

I forgot to say that in the past (years ago, when I was a teen) I had taken codeine syrup (when it was sold without a prescription) and with 1/3 of the bottle I felt high (I guess it was something like 60 mg of codeine). So I don't think that's the problem.

Hey, what's up, I use tramadol similar to you and I can say that the effects of codeine are nothing for me anymore. It doesn't work anymore, even tramadol doesn't feel like it works and taking more than 1500mg seems stupid to me now, I've been taking hydrocodone for a few days, combining 40mg of hydro with codeine or tramadol was the only way to make it work. At this point, the strongest opiate I can get is hydrocodone, and quite expensive, so I think about stopping using them for this reason.

Ey Nico, como estas?? Just out of curiosity, how much hydrocodone do you need to feel a similar high to tramadol?

Ey Nico, como estas?? Just out of curiosity, how much hydrocodone do you need to feel a similar high to tramadol?

Ey bro, bien y vos?
Honestly the effects feel very different, but I would say that 25mg gives me a mild opiate effect like tramadol, but the high is different. I feel more euphoric, my anxiety is reduced to such low levels, in doses of 50mg, I have not tried taking more, but there is no way to remove the chlorpheniramine from the pills, so I think that trying higher doses could bring me problems.

Ey bro, bien y vos?
Honestly the effects feel very different, but I would say that 25mg gives me a mild opiate effect like tramadol, but the high is different. I feel more euphoric, my anxiety is reduced to such low levels, in doses of 50mg, I have not tried taking more, but there is no way to remove the chlorpheniramine from the pills, so I think that trying higher doses could bring me problems.

Estoy bien bro.

I thought hydrocodone was only sold in US. 25 mg of hydrocodone is like 150-250 of tramadol, right?
Those pills are with pseudoephedrine?
Better not abuse them because chlorphenamine (cpm) in long doses is horrible. And be careful, because combined with tramadol there is a high risk of seizures. Also chlorphenamine has a long half life.
If I were you, I would choose only one drug (tramadol or hydrocodone / cpm) or low-moderate doses. Do you use it for recreation or were you prescribed it for a specific problem?