• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does weed really make you stupid ?

idk if any of you are aware of the fairly recent scientific studies of cannabis and neuroplasticity and neurogenesis, on a biologically level cannabis helps creates new neuron pathways and new neuron connections. so technically it benefits your physical brain, but because it is a minor psychedelic it affects your mind and perception. A lot of the reasons why people feel "stupid" is because the new perception that there minds are operating in is "foreign." there mental is so use to thinking in a certain way that when a new way is opened up its like there mind is a newborn baby to this perception. A little analogy would be like when you first try and do calculus you feel completely stupid, you wouldn't be able to figure anything out until you started training your mind to think in this new way, but your good at algebra so you stick with algebra cause thats where your smart. thats why a lot of people get this misconception about weed making you dumb(or you could actually be dumb and you just blame it on the weed lol) but really it just opens up a new door of perception and this new door isnt to far away from your normal door you just have to use and practice your mentality in this new door. Learning to use your psyche in a new perception and break out of the box(hell get rid of the damn box) builds a stronger mentality and is the key to an expanding conscious. And really you dont need drugs for this, the most genuine way to reach a higher consciousness is through meditation, self awareness, free thinking and ego death. All in all though balance is key, cannabis use can act as a catalyst to beneficial states of awareness or it can do the opposite. Even when your sober, whatever thoughts you have or whatever you imagine literally affects your physical body and brain. If there is no environmental threat but your mind is imagining something to be a threat or negative your body and brain react as though it were completely real all though it is only in your head. So you can look at cannabis and stronger psychedelics as almost a magnify glass, if you are feeling anxiety you could smoke weed and your anxiety could become heightened, or the perception change from the cannabis could make you think in a new way where the anxiety disappears because your having more positive thought patterns. This basically can apply to any emotions and thoughts. People try and make things seem so definite when in reality there is a big grey area and a lot of variables to account for. PS sorry for grammar im in a hurry

Whenever i smoke cannabis I can definitely focus better on any task I'm doing. I've also had 2 separate conversations going with my friends when we were hanging out and somehow I could listen to them both talking to me and still know what each was saying. 8o I'm not saying you SHOULD smoke cannabis but the things it does to you is definitely fun to mess around on

No it doesn't effect your IQ if you're an adult in fact it actually promotes the growth of brain cells. Below 18 there was a long term decades long study where they proved cannabis does effect IQ negatively in teens though, as far as I know they accounted for everything in the study and it hasn't been discredited this wasn't a case of correlation does not equal causation.

However it is still an intoxicant and use will have an effect on you since you are impaired, so you might feel stupid. Heavy long term years of use for an adult can have an effect but all brain function returns to original (if not better) condition if you take a long break.

When I used to smoke a 90/10 sativa dominant strain daily, it gave me energy, but after about a year, the Wake and Bake with Sativa, started burning me the fuck out. I became very lethargic, my mind started to crave harder drugs, and everything started falling apart. I was smoking too much though, way too much. I would compulsively smoke a gram in one sitting, twice a day. In my opinion that's way too much for someone who is studying in college. I was never able to study really high, the few times I took a GREENY FRESH bong rip and studied successfully I was also on adderall, lol

Last edited:
I think it does just by the way it effects short term memory.

If you are in a competitive environment around a bunch of people that do not smoke I bet you will see a big difference in capabilities. Even as a stoner I find it frustrating when I have to work with someone who is obviously really stoned and makes you constantly repeat yourself and can't seem to grasp new concepts.

That said, it does seem like people who smoke have stronger intuition about things. My take on it is that yes it slows you down but slowing down isn't always a bad things. Sometimes when we slow down we take the time to look and notice things we might have otherwise rushed past.

But if you are like how I was not that long ago and smoking all day everyday in large amounts, then in all likelihood the negative side-effects are outweighing the positive and the highs are fleeting and not as enjoyable. If you feel the need to run from sobriety I think that is a good way to tell you are smoking too much. Just my opinion on things.

I think more clearly without it. But as long as I can smoke at night, after taking care of my shit, I am so much more easy going. When I was on probation, I was so irritable. Yeah I got shit done, but I was a fucking asshole. Weed keeps me level. Moderation is key and I just took a week off for a little t break. I get so stoned now I can only smoke once I'm done with whatever needed to be done that day. I think we forget how strong weed these days is. One little hit gets me incredibly high now. Our culture is go go go, sometimes we forget to be kind to people and only care about our own lives.

I think more clearly without it. But as long as I can smoke at night, after taking care of my shit, I am so much more easy going. When I was on probation, I was so irritable. Yeah I got shit done, but I was a fucking asshole. Weed keeps me level. Moderation is key and I just took a week off for a little t break. I get so stoned now I can only smoke once I'm done with whatever needed to be done that day. I think we forget how strong weed these days is. One little hit gets me incredibly high now. Our culture is go go go, sometimes we forget to be kind to people and only care about our own lives.
You think marijuana, in general, is stronger than what you had before?

You think marijuana, in general, is stronger than what you had before?

I meant to say that I forget how a high really feels when my tolerance gets up there after smoking every day/multiple times a day. Although I do think one needs a bit of a tolerance to really enjoy cannabis, or else it can be a little overwhelming.

These past few months I've been smoking concentrates like a madman, and I would get high every time but it wouldn't last very long and it is no where near as intense as the highs I get now after just a little under 2 weeks tolerance break.

I meant to say that I forget how a high really feels when my tolerance gets up there after smoking every day/multiple times a day. Although I do think one needs a bit of a tolerance to really enjoy cannabis, or else it can be a little overwhelming.

These past few months I've been smoking concentrates like a madman, and I would get high every time but it wouldn't last very long and it is no where near as intense as the highs I get now after just a little under 2 weeks tolerance break.
You ever have any bad times from losing your tolerance, feeling like you were going to have a heart attack, do you think someone could?

You ever have any bad times from losing your tolerance, feeling like you were going to have a heart attack, do you think someone could?

I definitely had some anxiety when I first started up from a 2+ year hiatus and again from just under 2 week break. But it was because I tried to smoke the same amount as I normally would and out of bubblers/bongs instead of taking small rips out of a glass pipe or something.

I really see why people don't like weed, but I knew what to expect and told myself it was the high. Didn't feel like I was going to have a heart attack but I could see someone obsessing over their heart beat when really high. As I calmed down, the high was more enjoyable. That's why I think one has to have at least a small tolerance or really know what to expect when smoking strong weed.

It snuck up on me; the heart palpitations were not something I started focusing on. It could have been hallucinations but it is impossible to say. That was shortly before the end, when weed would only produce strong open eye visual hallucinations and intense anxiety. So the rapid heart rate could have been a hallucination or some foreshadowing?

I don't think people catch hypochondria from smoking marijuana. Pot was triggering this.

Marijuana produces enjoyable closed eye visuals. It also seems to alter thought processes, in a fun way; perhaps that is just addlizing. At best, the negative experiences we experience are defensive mechanisms. To me it seems likely to be mental exhaustion.

What is the concentration of these marijuana concentrations you are using?

It seems people have kicked the bucket suffering heart trouble from synthetic cannabinoids and possibly marijuana itself. Fair warning, concentrated THC could be dangerous.