• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does weed really make you stupid ?

Whosajiggawaaa

Bluelighter
This is an assumption I've been fed by T.V, movies and the behind the times media here. I don't feel any less intelligent when I smoke, even if I smoke a bong.

What do you guys think ? Does it effect your IQ (not your motivation - your thinking!) ?

Mind you I've written and studied for all my uni exams not smoking weed (just oxy) so I can't tell with academia.

Sorry in advance if this has been covered I couldn't be bothered to UTFSE ok.

Last edited:
i personally believe it doesn't necessarily make you more or less smart so much as it makes you think in a different way, and different people think differently on it. for example, when im stoned, I generally cant sit down and read a book, but I can read an instruction manual to assemple a piece of furniture quicker, with greater ease and with markedly less frustration than I would sober.

It makes me "stupid" while doing certain things and makes me excel at others.

I don't know if stupid is the right word. But it certainly disrupts my concentration to the point where it makes just about everything harder for me. Math problems, work, fixing things, video games, etc. It also makes me clumsy and forgetful even the day after.

The only way it helps is by making things less boring or by helping me stay awake. So back in school, a bowl could give me a "second wind" while studying. The studying wasn't easier, but at least I was awake.

Haha this is how I sum up weed effecting your brain.

Like I know I have stuff to do, and I know I have to do it, but I just don't care about it.

Makes me careless and lazy.

It can certainly make you lose focus and concentration, and thus cause an inhibited ability to retain and recall memories and information
Does it actually lower your IQ? I don't think so, it would certainly be a very bold statement to make

The nature of the weed high is to make me lose focus, and it kills the part of me that is responsible for having the motivational drive to do things, so it makes me very lazy to boot. I think about doing stuff, instead of actually doing anything when I'm stoned. I become a passive burnout even with very limited use. It also has always made me extremely panicky and anxious out of nowhere. It is the opposite of relaxing. I have never met a soul who benefitted from the use of this drug. I've known all types of people who smoke it, and the story is always the same. They will defend their overuse of weed to grave, with the same common arguments such as "it's less harmful than alcohol" while they waste thousands of dollars on their nasty bad habit that gets them nowhere except smell bad with black lungs, and makes them less interesting to be around. Every time you see these potheads they are stoned, for the obvious reason that they are very dependent on it which they will never admit to.

When I'm stoned, it really does make me stupid. I am an absolute dumbass, useless fuck when I'm baked. When I'm off the stuff, I resume the course of my life as a successful engineer. When I'm stoned, that part of my life doesn't mean shit. All I care about is being lazy and getting another hit. I will spend $20,000 on weed without thinking twice about it, while irresponsibly cutting out money from other important financials, until I regain my intellectual ability after going through the hell of withdrawal and realize how I was chasing a high that I had too much of a tolerance to feel anymore. However, due to the deluding and addictive nature of the drug, I had to fully get off the stuff before I was able to admit to that. Cannabis has a strong addictive potential, as is exemplified by my severe addiction to something that made me plain stupid and lazy. The cravings to smoke this garbage and the nightmare of withdrawal were so intense that it took me 5 years of attempts to finally quit.

I know a lot of smart people who smoke pot every day. However, all of these people are running a big risk to their long term mental health, and all of them would be better off and even smarter if they never smoked this stupid trash. Smart people are still capable of making dumb decisions, as there are many different types of intelligence. Cannabis is a parasite that attacks humanity in an attempt by mother nature to slow down the technological progress of mankind and it should be ideally be eliminated from this planet. Legalizing it would be like setting off one big dumb bomb for everyone.

Yeah the long paragraphed guy is a bit on the extreme side of people who dislike weed it appears.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else says. I try do it in the evening so I only suffer the abovementioned effects at night when there's nothing important to be done. Or on weekends.

well it obviously makes you dumber than if you were sober

jesus fuck, that much is obvious

Cannabis is a parasite that attacks humanity in an attempt by mother nature to slow down the technological progress of mankind and it should be ideally be eliminated from this planet.

Haha! That is the funniest thing I've read today. Hey, we should start a new thread solely dedicated to the ideology of 'progress'.

I don't know if stupid is the right word. But it certainly disrupts my concentration to the point where it makes just about everything harder for me. Math problems, work, fixing things, video games, etc. It also makes me clumsy and forgetful even the day after.

True. It just makes most kind of work labourious. Personally, as much as I loved herb, it's a real hurdle to be dependent on a drug that makes it difficult to get up and just do certain things you could easily do sober. I think that's at the root of how it affects motivation, by making challenging work more difficult to do it rewards downsizing your goals in order to be satisfied getting less done but being stoned more often. It's often been said that the poison of weed is how benign it seems. It doesn't hijack your body like other drugs but it lulls your mind into a state where you believe in the inevitability of circumstances that you would have worked to overcome instead while sober.

I still think most if not all of any secondary effects from weed (anything that comes other than just getting a direct high for a few hours) can be completely swept under the rug if you just follow Terrence McKenna's recommendation to limit use of weed to once a week, likely on the weekend on a day when you don't have to work.

And nah, I don't think weed makes you 'stupid' per se, I think weed just makes you high. It's up to you what to do with that high...a lot of people (I'm thinking of the long paragraph response above by rave_itsrealfun!!!) do choose to do stupid things when they're high, or they get habituated/addicted to the high of weed, for whatever reason, and do stupid things to maintain this habituated high (like apparently wasting 20,000 on weed like it was crack or some shit...). But that's all you - weed just gets you high...don't attack a PLANT when it's your life to deal with. But yeah, this is a pretty subjective thing...some people can just not handle the high (cough - long response person above)...

It makes me clumsy as fk as well as forgetful (when I'm really high - like now).

But they wear off by the next morning where I'm myself again, I tend not to do it when I know something importnat is coming up, but sometimes I'm caught off guard and can still handle it.

It messes hard with my short-term memory.
I also get clumsy as fuck from smoking (a lot of) weed.

I feel stupid in some ways when I am high, but very heightened / intelligent in other ways.
I don't always do well with simple tests of memory - and sometimes forget what i was talking about one second ago - but my ability to see patterns and make connections is improved.

I wrote most of my MA thesis and PhD dissertation while high, and it slowed me down in some ways, but helped enormously in other ways. Attention to detail was worsened, but ability to make grand theoretical statements was augmented.

Overall, I like what weed does for me, mostly.

More than stupid/intelligent, I feel much more creative, compassionate, loving, and wise when I am high.
That is what I love about it.

No question, for a one off session, it impairs one's ability to think about complex ideas during the phase of intoxication and 24-48 hours thereafter (in my experience). The more frequent the sessions, the heavier the sessions, the longer the after effects. After effects include a lingering haze, psychological craving, and impaired drive (taken together, mildly impaired cognition). These effects usually resolve within a few weeks. It's an open question whether, in the long term, it has permanent adverse affects on higher order cognitive processes involved in abstruse conceptualization.