• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

does weed kill your feelings? For heavy users

If you claim that your long term memory is not affected at the moment I have no reason to believe cannabis would damage that.
What I said it does though, is that it acutely diminishes you short term memory, not the long term one, it's not a damage, mind you, it is a temporary effect but if you smoke daily you always will have it obviously.
And you would not notice that in basic things like where you left your keys, an example would be that you could remember a shorter string of random numbers if given only a few seconds to memorise it, compared to how many you would if you did not consume cannabis.
And ofcourse it would be a relative change, meaning that if you have a very good short term memory you might smoke a lot and still be above average who knows.
The other side of that is that if a person has only not so good short term memory daily use of cannabis it is going to make life hard for them.

The long term effect it has on the serotonin system is upregulation of 5HT2A receptors, I did not mention reuptake but if it does that it would be a acute effect not long term.

Google "cannabis melatonin" and you will find several sources, I'm amazed you say there was nothing.
When this is a problem is that if one smokes multiple times during the day he is releasing melatonin as many times which will throw off the circadian clock.
Smoking one before bed should not do that.
I did not say that every single cannabis user will have anxiety from it and it was very clear in my post I believe, although I am happy you don't have anxiety and hope that doesn't change.

The combination of this effects listed here can bring significant change in one's life.

Yeah the only study I could find from Google that focused on canabis causing the increase in melatonin production was from 1986 and it was based on findings from another study from 1970.

I was hoping you'd have a link to something a bit more recent like since 2010 or some time period where canabis was not automatically demonized in studies.

Next time I'm in to see my doctor I'll ask him regarding any new breaking research. His opinion is at least more studied as his specialty is canabis medical use.

I know from personal experience if I want sleep smoking a joint of older weed that has decarbed on it's own from age will produce more CBN and I'll sleep like a rock or using infused oil that has been heated past 350F to convert the THC to CBN. This doesnt have much of a high but I do sleep like a rock for 6 hours and wake feeling rested. Personally I use it on weeks where I'm in travel and have maybe 8 hours at a hotel and a full day of airports and crap the next day. It's nice to be able to just sleep solid and it doesnt leave me tired or jet lagged.

The 1970s study talked about melatonin increases in brain chemistry by huge amounts but I also cant find a down side to increasing the brains natural production unless you're smoking old sleeper weed when you dont want to sleep.

We've been using marijuana now recreationally in north America since the 1960's and a lot of older long term users are around. We still aren't seeing any long term effects like you can with a lot of pharmaceuticals. In the 40's everyone began smoking tobacco and doctors even suggested it to women to lose weight. We have seen the long term effects and we all know it's very harmful yet millions persist. With canabis we haven't found the mystery down side. I dont smoke it unless it's a social setting and it's very rare even then because edibles seem like a better choice with the information I've been able to find.

Now at 10 years of daily use I do often feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and to discover a long term down side but beyond negative opinions I cant find it.

The 1970s study talked about melatonin increases in brain chemistry by huge amounts but I also cant find a down side to increasing the brains natural production unless you're smoking old sleeper weed when you dont want to sleep.

When your brain releases melatonin at bedtime that's cool, the problems come from smoking weed during daytime when you should not raise your melatonin levels, as it is used to regulate your circadian rythms.
Some people develop sleep issues such as not resting well enough, difficulty reliably falling asleep at the same time, not being able to sleep without waking up etc.
Just to be clear I'm not putting weed up there with Meth or alcohol, but long term daily use has significant consequences for some people.
You seem to be one of the lucky ones, which I think is also the majority.

no, i really think feelings kill our feelings.
try to stay balanced
having different elements in the correct proportions and being symmetrical with respect and effort to try to make it happen. just my little feel good thing. ?

Yes... Weed does "kill" Your feelings.

That's what the acid is for!!! To bring those feelings back!!!!

Weed kills your emotions? I thought that was what alcohol was for.
Ya perhaps the thread title is a bit misleading, it doesn't literally do that, but after smoking daily for years some people come to realise that smoking weed is changing them in non positive ways.
It is not exactly the same for everyone but there is some sort of sad feeling to it, and going out or doing things becomes less appealing and appears more difficult than it is.
Sleep issues where one can't reliably fall asleep at the same time but only at random, with sleep being less regenerating and trouble being properly alert and awake.
Some people get other symptoms, some are just fine.... it is not universal.
But mostly you need to smoke every day multiple times per day for years for this to happen.

If you claim that your long term memory is not affected at the moment I have no reason to believe cannabis would damage that.
What I said it does though, is that it acutely diminishes you short term memory, not the long term one, it's not a damage, mind you, it is a temporary effect but if you smoke daily you always will have it obviously.
And you would not notice that in basic things like where you left your keys, an example would be that you could remember a shorter string of random numbers if given only a few seconds to memorise it, compared to how many you would if you did not consume cannabis.
And ofcourse it would be a relative change, meaning that if you have a very good short term memory you might smoke a lot and still be above average who knows.
The other side of that is that if a person has only not so good short term memory daily use of cannabis it is going to make life hard for them.

The long term effect it has on the serotonin system is upregulation of 5HT2A receptors, I did not mention reuptake but if it does that it would be a acute effect not long term.

Google "cannabis melatonin" and you will find several sources, I'm amazed you say there was nothing.
When this is a problem is that if one smokes multiple times during the day he is releasing melatonin as many times which will throw off the circadian clock.
Smoking one before bed should not do that.
I did not say that every single cannabis user will have anxiety from it and it was very clear in my post I believe, although I am happy you don't have anxiety and hope that doesn't change.

The combination of this effects listed here can bring significant change in one's life.
smoked 3-6 grams of high quality herb a day, always preffered indica for 5 years, switched to hash/ hash butane oil concentrates smoked around 1.5-2.5 grams a day of hash for another 3 years aswell as a few dabs once inawhile

my memory seemed to be hindered while smoking but fully and quickly recovered when i stopped
- didn't stop for any particular reasons
-recovered memory quickly
-pot was extraordinarily difficult to give up regular usage but suddenly happened, wasn't any thought about it, still keep some good hash on hand at all times

never settle for mediocre quality, i know this isn't always an option but its a rule every smoker should stick to

also yes obviously smoking till youre high as shit dampens your feelings, but i was thinking thats a given no matter what the substance is??
opened my hash jar just now, my god does it smell delicious
~zonxx

im dying of opiate wd rn, i feel like my eyes are steaming, just felt like sharing

What I have meant with “kill your feelings” is very simple and a commonplace among cannabis users (mainly those who do not take other drugs frequently so that the effects of cannabis can be truly read and individualized).

All of us, stoners, daily smokers, have noticed how cannabis begins to dominate one’s life; leisurely and sneakily, it starts to take the control day after day, joint after joint. In the beginning, one smokes only during the night, after the capitalist mandatory tasks. The fact that there is a moment to smoke at night, to enjoy weed, is the joy of the day. One stays looking forward to this moment throughout the whole day. Finally, when it comes, what a jubilation, a transport of delight!

In the course of time, one cannot wait anymore, that joint, that one smoked only at the end of the day, is enjoyed an hour earlier, two, three hours earlier… as early as possible, wake-and-bake!

Play video games, watch movies, without weed? Impossible.

Furthermore, sentences or thoughts like this one are very common: “this is more enjoyable with weed”

I could give you more examples but I think my point is clear now.

Concluding

If, for uncorrelated reasons, one is depressive, weed is going to slow down one’s life significantly, from bed to joint, from joint to bed, isn’t true? It kills one's feelings because if one is “happy” one is a slave, if one is sad one is also a slave, a slower one. The feelings are also contaminated by cannabis, they cannot be felt in plenitude, even to feel, it is better to feel high on it than to feel sober (weed improves sex, dating, friendships, and so on).

Last edited:
Ive accepted Im addicted to weed. I started at 15 as a way to cope with some stress i was having. combined with alcohol and cigarretes (my ritual is 1 joint before every ciggarette, and my ideal is to carry this on 4 or 6 hours until im fried. Its very tame i know, but I do get visuals and definitley "activate my third eye" (a specific feeling in the center of the forehead.) Through the third eye I have accesed amazing realms so I love the feeling very much. I love weed. But I cant do it anymore, I want to be sober! Want to be able to be around my step sisters and be a good role model instead of running out after an hour cause I rather be high than wasting my time with these little girls.

Me, I rather be high than do anything else, because the way I smoke I cant really get past a certain level with my guitar skills, or my fiction writing. The level I need to be better I just cant achieve cause it takes more practice--takes sober practice!--but I just need to be high, I always have. Even though I love those things, the truth is Ive always loved getting crunk more. In fact I started writing because it was perfect for me getting high; I could be seated, drinking, and smoking, all while imagining these stories; at the end of the day I wanted to get high more than write fiction, so I forgot about the computer, now I still do my seated rituals, combine it with shrooms or ketamine -- i dont drink alcohol anymore! yay=) -- and I get high. I get before work, high multiple times at work, high after work. My life is about getting high. Its been like this for years!! I love the feeling after smoking a joint, so I repeat it 10 or 20 times a day. I just cant see why not. Most people smoke and can stop. I literally spend my entire day smoking or high on edibles cause my favorite part about getting high is getting so high I fall asleep and can have visuals, because yeah when I am really high I can be consciouss before I enter sleep mode and so can consciously feel the dream state.

Ok so weed is addictive we know that :| dont know what im rambling about. But the point is; does it kill your feelings?

It kills the feelings you would normally have sober, because now you feel high. You dont actually get to have normal motivation levels, you never wake up ready to take on the world...you just wake up ready to spend a beautiful day getting high af! it gets boring but dayum it still has its charm cause we still puffing

Despite the bad stuff about any addiction, it is a pretty good addiction to have, it has such a gentle plant essence. when i eat cannanis I speak with god, and its healthy physically, and its spiritual side is very defined and obviously good natured (when does weed turn on you? I had very few times, even when doing too much edibles, the plant just gives you a slap on the wrist. it has a lot of love for us.)

Have you ever smoked weed and gone for a jog? Why would you ever jog any other way?

Music without weed? pfff...

Being on bluelight wihout weed? get out of here.

Last edited:
Mh yes, this last couple of posts bring out a part of long term use that cannot be discounted.
It has the properties of an addicting drug as we define them, as in it increases dopamine levels and this reinforces the habit.

Now, I have seen too many long term smokers talk about weed like it is a person or a spirit, and they either glorify or describe romantically their use of it.
It also seem to be the case that every time someone has to do something good or bad he needs to invariably ingest weed in a way or the other to either make the chore more tolerable or to enhance something already good.
After years of this, users are convinced that it is really really important that they smoke weed before doing something and in the event that it can't happen the activity is made worse.
It is also common to this users to think that they have been on weed for too long for it to be possible to quit, and find some attenuating circumstances that allow them entertain the thought that it's not that bad for an adult to have to take a dose
before they do anything, and this actually takes significant amount of time out of their activities as they have to stop multiple times per day.
And ofcourse it is not really healthy to never be sober for years as obviously if there an influence one is never really 100% himself, which is basically acting like there is something wrong being just one self.

I think @LordFran have described very well the “benefits of weed” but I do not know whether I agree with him on this matter. Of course, keeping the particular individualities, for me, it is the same thing. I love performing academic, cultural, and creative tasks high on cannabis. It is simple: it apparently puts me in another level of creativity, but is not only creativity it is also a special pleasure to work on a specific subject.

I could travel through the same psychedelics roads that cannabis paves in the mind using for that other drugs: mushrooms, MDMA, LSD, and so on. Nevertheless, they are too strong for daily use and too strong to keep the focus on intellectual tasks, it is easy to lose the focal point and end up dancing in the room.

The pleasures that marijuana give us, they are something that we stay constantly chasing and it is the same thing with other drugs. There is no difference between cannabis and other hard drugs, with regard to the ability to cause addictions.

More clearly, I do not go to nightclubs without taking a stimulant, there is no meaning to do so, I need to be fueled to dance electronic music. Why do I think in this way? Because I have experienced a nightclub with drugs before. I have experienced an artificial pleasure given by the drug and now I chase it again when the same context is portrayed in my life. The same is valid for weed, however, in the case of weed, the context is not a nightclub but, on the contrary, trivial contexts, everyday ones. Therefore, one gets used to performing ordinary tasks high on cannabis and the level of pleasure given by the drug during the execution of the task in question will never be reached through normal activities. It is an artificial pleasure and that’s why everything sucks without weed. Analogously, this is very clear with cocaine, for example, where one chases the pleasure crazily and it is even clearer with crack.

On the other hand, what @Phobos has brought up is a good counterpoint.

That is

Are these 1001 utilities of weed really true or are they a part of the addiction, a part of the domination that the drug exerts in the mind, an illusion, a JAH’s manipulation?

I cannot judge, I am on it, I have no clue whether the storm is true or a fantasy.

Last edited:
I think @LordFran have described very well the “benefits of weed” but I do not know whether I agree with him on this matter. Of course, keeping the particular individualities, for me, it is the same thing. I love to perform academic, cultural, and creative tasks high on cannabis. It is simple: it apparently puts me in another level of creativity, but is not only creativity it is also a special pleasure to work on a specific subject.

I could travel through the same psychedelics roads that cannabis paves in the mind using for that other drugs: mushrooms, MDMA, LSD, and so on. Nevertheless, they are too strong for daily use and too strong to keep the focus on intellectual tasks, it is easy to lose the focal point and end up dancing in the room.

I have smoked cannabis daily since I was 15, I quit at 31 although I had a couple of several month long breaks.
I used to sell it for profit since I was 16, then when I got a job I would only smoke but then after a few years I started selling it and also growing it.
I have had a relationship with weed that always was a bit more practical as just a couple months from my first joint I was selling it, I used it probably as an antidepressant, but it also allowed me to dream away into an alternate reality to temporarily escape from directly perceiving a world I didn't like.
It made some thing easier, but it didn't make me feel actually good, just not as bad.
I think that always using a scale to smoke and keeping track of how much I had sold, smoked, how much I still had, helped me to remember I was using a drug that although it would never kill me, I was addicted to.

When you said that LordFran described the good things of weed I had to go and read his post again, and I confirmed that I consider it a list of issues and defects and a declaration of addiction.

Also, it ruins psychedelics, it is the weed that makes the high unproductive and unfocused, it is not in the nature of LSD or MDMA to be like that.

Luckily weed allows you to find a moment for quitting in relax, it's not like a quit or die situation like some other drugs can be.
But I think that thought that there is time has to be challenged with tolerance breaks.

If one wants to continue, why not, but it's something one owes to itself, to try and see if once completely sober there is a decision to keep smoking or not.
In fact during the break the thought should be "I have quit now, do I think that it is a good idea to start again? Do I have valid reasons?".

So weed has nothing to offer but addiction and thus pain? I will put thought into this. It may be the case

But I must say that hasnt been my experience. To this day I smoke weed and enter a deep state of love for the universe. In India it is used exactly for the purpose of meditation and hailed the plant of the God Shiva (so when you speak of people talking of weed as if an entity it isnt anything new and has been thought out and speculated for over 2000 years in written record. I dont say its true or not, but offer the possibility, which coincidentally is also my experience of finding some divinity in the plant besides the high, which is not the case of alcohol for example.)

Also plants are living beings and have dna, hence are connected to the source of creation, so it wouldnt be an impossible thing for it to comunicate via neurotransmittors.

After I learned how to use weed and wasnt a teen anymore it really wasnt about feeling less bad, as I live a happy life. Its like Jose said, its more about dancing for me. I listen to music all day so it really hightens the sound.

I still insist that to let it go is the way and whats right to do, but I recently was sober for three years, and I am happier ever since I started smoking weed (which was a gateway to DMT). There are a lot of factors involved, and the weed wasnt the main cause of now living truly happy and at peace, as I also learned about myself. But cannabis offered me something great. Its like my mindset was calcified and rocky, and weed loosened it, made it flow so that I could see things differently.

I agree that the fiendish habits are eerily similar to hard drugs. Sometimes you roll and smoke that joint right as u cop it, just like heroin users do. Or purchase it early in the morning because you cant not have it. etc etc...

But to say theres nothing nice about it? I could say, in active addiction that there is nothing good of cigarrretes, but with weed I see more...what it offers is wider in scope.

btw in my three years sober I would actually say out loud to myself "thank god I quit smoking weed. Imagine if I was still spending money on that and wasting my time." It felt very good to say that. At the same time Im pretty sure I didnt actually remember what it was like to be high, particularly the feeling of adoring something greater than yourself. And at that time I think the main cause of suffering in my life then was my self obsession, not loving the world and others as much as I loved myself. So weed making me see the complexity of a tree, the complexity of stillness, really helped at that phase.

Just my experience with the plant, as varied as our lives and brains are, each one will find something different with the experience.

What type of smoker are you? Are you the smoker who thinks everything is better on weed? Or the artists who can only make art on weed. Listen to Mary Jane and follow your heart.
Ps I was just watching half baked

I will make a brief digression correlated and uncorrelated with the original subject.

Drugs have been used as way to find God, the soul, and the mysteries of the Universe since ancient times. Besides, @LordFran has just mentioned something about.

In the past, there were indigenous civilizations exploring forests, Nature, and their survivals were directed linked to their knowledge about how to use the surrounding resources. On account of the primitiveness, psychedelics were seen as way to encounter the divine entities. This is not the case for modern humans.

So what are we, modern humans, globalized humans, connected humans, looking for? The same old songs? Who I am? Where do I go? Where did I come from?

Skeptically speaking, we all know what drugs do: they alter the brain’s chemical functioning, only this. These alterations may cause positive or negative experiences depending on the substance in question. Nevertheless, for thousands of years, the humanity has been selecting the correct substances, the mastery has been transmitted over generations. That’s why we are taking the appropriate compounds. However, we need to salute those who died testing substances in nature (I salute them right now, in our names!).

If the role of psychedelics is only to change the way that the brain is functioning, how does this generate improvement in a spiritual level?

The thing is that life sucks so much that when one sees a different perspective it sounds divine, from other world, that’s why one has the feeling of meeting God

Moreover, if there is a spiritual level, would it be found inside or outside of one’s mind? I'd look outside

Last edited:
I will make a brief digression correlated and uncorrelated with the original subject.

Drugs have been used as way to find God, the soul, and the mysteries of the Universe since ancient times. Besides, @LordFran has just mentioned something about.

In the past, there were indigenous civilizations exploring forests, Nature, and their survivals were directed linked to their knowledge about how to use the surrounding resources. On account of the primitiveness, psychedelics were seen as way to encounter the divine entities. This is not the case for modern humans.

So what are we, modern humans, globalized humans, connected humans, looking for? The same old songs? Who I am? Where do I go? Where did I come from?

Skeptically speaking, we all know what drugs do: they alter the brain’s chemical functioning, only this. These alterations may cause positive or negative experiences depending on the substance in question. Nevertheless, for thousands of years, the humanity has been selecting the correct substances, the mastery has been transmitted over generations. That’s why we are taking the appropriate compounds. However, we need to salute those who died testing substances in nature (I salute them right now, in our names!).

If the role of psychedelics is only to change the way that the brain is functioning, how does this generate improvement in a spiritual level?

The thing is that life sucks so much that when one sees a different perspective it sounds divine, from other world, that’s why one has the feeling of meeting God

Moreover, if there is a spiritual level, would it be found inside or outside of one’s mind?
There is a reason why naturalistic sounds and songs seem to feel deeper on a spiritual level and on psychedelics. To like "modern music" you have to train your brain to like it in my not so humble opinion.

I would argue that drugs have been used as drugs, and that the long existing traditions surrounding their use are just the explanation that people with no scientific knowledge would give to the visions and thoughts that they experienced.
There are benefits that can be had from psychedelic use that are connected to processing psychological issues, maybe even to neurotransmitter rebalancing or other functions.
I see all the beliefs that different cultures have for cannabis as no different in origin to the beliefs of a stoner that has never heard of those when forming his own.
They took an addictive drug, and wrote a nice story about how it really is a great idea to keep taking it.
I am sure that we can agree that repeating something for millennia does not make it any more true than it is.

I have no issue with people taking drugs obviously, but I don't think it is healthy to think that it can only make you better.
Maybe it can, but maybe in other situations it's not making you better at all.
I think that one should just objectively evaluate if a drug is helping him or not.