• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does/Has Weed Ever Given You A Panic Attack?

A potent sativa strain can bring on panic attacks for me, especially if I haven't smoked in a while. One of the first few times I ever smoked, I was traveling in and out of various dimensions whilst watching The Neverending Story. Upon leaving the room, I promptly freaked the fuck out, and was completely nonfunctional for about 2 hours.

Weed also does not combine well with caffeine and sexual tension. The three together are almost certain catalysts for a panic attack.

To OP :

DUH, at least everyone once didnt feel well from weed, but it never killed anyone.

Hmmmmm, I didn't realize EVERYONE has had a reaction to weed.....
in fact, you must not be reading the same thread I am. Where in the
thread topic does it insinuate "killing or not feeling well"?
In fact, nearly one half of the posters say they have not
gotten a panic attack or have had any other adverse reaction.

People are answering a question asked....

DUH!

Yes. Mostly its when I'm already battling fear inside me... fear that my life is not going in the direction I want it to... that my romantic relationship might not be the one/work out, that I am going down a path that is going to trap me.

I find that usually I can talk my way out of that anxiety easier when I'm sober, but once Im high it makes it worse.
Its worse if you're with the people your panicking about and cant be entirely honest about why you are panicking.

and, it is causing me to cut back on my smoking a lot. just tonight I didnt smoke because I felt a pang of anxiety and didnt want to risk an episode.

tis a shame.

Can you still get panic attacks on meds if you smoke?

Here's what I'd like to know:
If I already take Xanax to control my panic attacks
so I can function in public, what would happen now
if I were to smoke?

Has anyone already with severe panic attacks, who gets them from smoking also, ever tried smoking while on medication?

Did you feel any anxiety?

1. yes, only once i can remember, like "oh shit i have to go home right now holy shit can i leave my grinder and pipe and lighter and shit in your car? what if my parents search me?" like justttt straightt buggggggging for like 30 seconds, then i realized that i was being retardddded. but like it's almost exilerating to get like that... and it's only happened to me once... mehh :(
2. with other people
3. suppppper fucking high
4. nah of coarse not, looking back it was fun/funny as hellll

I've taken a few years off mainly due to paranoia and panic, but I'm coming back a more balanced smoker because of it.
In the interim I tackled the issues that were causing me to get agitated, social anxiety, shit like that. Honestly, I'm glad I had it, so I could get through it. You learn a lot.
Plus, I'm not gonna hit it like I used to, just retarded amounts went up in smoke. Chill at home with my vape, occasionally with good people.

1)Yes.
2)People.
3)Reeeally high, for too long.
4)Yeah, but I'm back!

Last edited:
My first time ever smoking weed was also my first time ever having a panic attack. I was with a friend at the time and he was introducing me to bud (although he didn't know i'd never smoked until he had already rolled the joint because i forgot to say it earlier). In fact, it was my first time smoking anything. But anyways, with absolutely zero tolerance, i smoked about 4/9ths of a regular joint and took 3 fairly large bong rips of some super dank bud and that's what set it off.

it started with the almost passing out stage. I was using my phone when all of a sudden it would get all static-like and my periphereal vision would go black then i would stop it before i passed out. That went on a few times before i realized it may be because we're still in the room we were smoking in and it was probably hotboxed. So i went to get some fresh air but on my way there i got dizzy and started stumbling. Then i started hallucinating once i was outside, like at one point i thought i saw a black cat walk by me but when i looked away for a few seconds and looked back, it was gone. Then my heart beat got super fast and my vision got dark and i thought i was going to die.

I knew what was going on though as soon as my heart rate started rising and i had a xanax with me but it was all the way across the house in my backpack and i definitely didn't think i'd be able to stay standing if i walked over there to get it. What ended up helping the most was that i knew nobody has ever died from weed and my friend was also a good spotter and he kept reminding me that i was just high and it's normal.

The thing that scared me the most though was that i kept thinking that if i did die, it would stop the advancement of legalization and it would all be because of me. As a MASSIVE activist for legalization, that botherred me to no end.

But no, this panic attack did not cause me to stop smoking. My lack of money over the past month has. So i haven't smoked a second time yet, but i do plan on trying it again soon. I still love pot. Definitely going to keep that Xanax in my pocket next time though.

Marijuana tends to amplify my thoughts and feelings prior to smoking and due to this I've experienced some really intense panic and anxiety. I've learned over the years to just ride it out when this happens and do anything to keep my mind distracted. Music usually helps.

Do you ever get panic attacks when you smoke weed? If so, are you with other people or alone? Were you a little high, or *really* high? Has it caused you to quit smoking it?
Answer:

Yes
Initially no, for about a 18 months, but started to have highs when things went wrong and would end up locked in the lavatory.
Eventually started seeing creepy crawlies.
Then had paranoia even though not high.
Stayed off cannabis then.
And eventually got better.
Tried dope occasionally and sometimes it was ok but mostly paranoia would return.
Did not use for 20 or so years then tried again and had full blown panic.
Perhaps 10 years later tried mdma and once when chilling afterwards smoked some weed and I had a normal nice high.
With trial and error discovered that I could enjoy cannabis after rolling but not otherwise.

I have only once and I smoke everyday. 2 years ago my grandpa had cancer and he refused to take chemo therapy and he smoked pot instead. Me and my mom where at his house because my mom is a CNA and was taking care of him at the time. They went to the hospital for his check ups and I knew they would be gone for a while, so being my teenage self I become thievish and I find his stash. ( I almost for got to tell you, he had this shit he mixed with it I've never heard of before at the age)
So I rolled a joint, went out side and smoked it. About fifteen minutes later i was feeling pretty good, like the normal high you would feel, But than I just got higher and higher until i had a Depersonalization, where you see yourself in third-person, and the walls were moving, and my grandpa had this weird lamp that had two men playing poker and when i looked at it they were sitting there staring at me and the whole lamp just melted, I freaked and panicked so bad I called the cops telling them that I was dying and that my grandpa's house was melting.....

About 2 months later i found out my grandpa used acid... like alot,(He always called it by its full name, Lysergic acid diethylamide) and he would tear up Blotters and put them in his weed.

Lesson of the day... Don't steal your grandpa's weed. XD

I don't believe I've ever had a panic attack from weed, in fact it does the opposite. I seem to need it for anxiety.

A few times yeah, usually this was due to benzo w/d. But the weed was the trigger for it a few times.
I'm off benzos now and able to fully enjoy weed again. =D

What I'm going to say is kinda opposite than the last answer. Yes I was in college(now I had smoked weed for like 5 years already never happened ) And I was with 2 guys. The 3 of us smoked a blunt. I remember like 10 mind after smoking I had a tiny zit to right above my lip. My mind went crazy this tiny zit(the size of a seed(even smaller.) Then I thought it was herpes. There was no way & I logically knew this. I had a bf for the last 4years & we were monogamous. We went back to the dorm. Everyone seemed like they were in slow motion. I had class in an hour & couldn't go. I ended up in the dorm room under the covers convinced I needed to go to the hospital. Embarrassing as hell. I think it might've been laced. It freaked me out so much I quit weed for 7 years. Sad. I actually just started smoking like 6 months ago. And I would've never smoked the rest of my life except for the fact I was @ my best friends house & he sells bud. Had been selling from years never wld even take a hit. Then I had taken 10 bars(I have an extremely high tolerance for Benzos. But I was fucked up. So I smoked. Loved it. I get kpins & have bad anxiety. I guess it was bound to happen. Of course I had anxiety sometimes after smoking & paranoia once in a while. But NEVER like this, this was a full blown panic attack. But everytime I smoke I take a 2mg Klonopin. It's the best(& I'm not saying take benzos all the time. They're really addicting(trust me I know.) But now that I smoke again I don't use nearly as many Benzos.

Just my two cents,

As with all drugs,
Set and setting.
Cannabis enhances perception, emotions, which includes anxiety; makes you more aware of physical and emotion feelings going on in your body.
This can lead to panic/anxiety attacks, if you're already anxious, or are worried about something etc....

I've had panic attacks on a couple of occasions while smoking cannabis.

Firstly, I can get anxious if I've taken a break then smoke some decent bud(why would i buy shwag?), I get the anxiety in my chest, racing heart etc... I just account that due to the fact I haven't smoked for a while, so my body's adjusting to the initial rush of the high. The anxiousness seems to wear off after a few hours, then disappears completely till I take a break and start again yadda yadda...

Secondly I can get panicky, if I'm worrying about something and light up, cannabis seems to enhance the feelings of anxiousness.

Then again, this is just me, cannabis can have very subjective effects.

I used to smoke socially and large amounts every night before bed. It always caused a little social anxiety for me and a couple panic attacks when I first started smoking.

Now I will only smoke once (ok sometimes twice) a month and I smoke alone. This way I get insights and ideas and I have time inbetween to integrate the experience.

Whats so interesting about cannabis is the wide range of effects it has on different people. For me its my go to psychedelic these days and nothing more.

When my tolerance is down which seems to only take a couple of days, the first day of going back to smoking is usually filled with anxiety, panic attacks & uncomfortable feelings this was never the case when i was younger & only really revealed its self after using psychedelics for some time. I have spoken to some friends about this and they also noted that after they got into psychedelics weed effected them in a different way.

When my tolerance is down which seems to only take a couple of days, the first day of going back to smoking is usually filled with anxiety, panic attacks & uncomfortable feelings this was never the case when i was younger & only really revealed its self after using psychedelics for some time. I have spoken to some friends about this and they also noted that after they got into psychedelics weed effected them in a different way.

This is a really good point, and I haven't heard my other friends discuss this before. Ever since taking mushrooms, everything has been just a little different -- including cannabis. I feel like I can never get back to who I was before taking mushrooms, and part of my panic/anxiety is somehow related to that. Like the realization that I actually will someday die. Maybe it's as simple as that.

To add to the thread, I've recently developed severe anxiety while using cannabis, after being anxiety free for about 4 years and a daily vaper. Just all of a sudden, anxiety attacks every time.