• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does Autism make it hard to trip?

Oh and taco, I just noticed your post about ergot. Actually I am gearing up to work with it. Although I DEFINITELY do NOT intend on consuming any extract of it directly. Rather, plan is to isolate a production strain, and keep on with the mutagenesis until one that produces stably and reliably upon subcultures (even better would be a conidia-producing,alkaloid productive strain, which is quite rare although not impossible.

Probably means I'm going to have to go through an awful bloody lot of petri dishes full of agar before I get anywhere, although even alkaloid high producers that aren't stable in subculture, I'll still take the alkaloids I can get from such strains before they poop out.

And I've been doing a LOT of research and reading in the scientific literature already out there, as well as a few experiments of my own, such as starting with a conidiating strain thats stable but not much of an alkaloid producer, and both protoplast-fusion with cell lines from the same strain, since it seems heterokaryotic strains are more likely to be alkaloid producers than monokaryotic lines, as well as treatment with colchicine and with mitogenic agents such as pokeweed toxin, already got my sclerotiae just need to get the likes of a lot of mannitol (they seem to thrive particularly on mannitol, and unfortunately glucose can't be used, at least in Claviceps purpurea, as the fungus turns it into polysaccharide glorp that buggers up oxygen transport. Which fouls up the growth medium and causes a big loss in alkaloid production. Even more of a problem since I intend on using alginate polymer microspheres, produced via electrostatic spraying into a CaCl2 solution [they can not only survive extremely high osmotic pressures but thrive in them, when the osmotic pressure is from sugars as nutrients, its quite extreme, their tolerance for it, so much so that at least one researcher in the history of Claviceps research, according to Kren and Cvak et. al. in the book 'The Genus Claviceps', thought that '300g sucrose per liter' was a typo, and that 30g was meant. It wasn't. They meant 300g.)

And of course, after experiments with shake-flask culture and various innoculation vs production medium (they need high phosphate media for good, vigorous growth but alkaloid production is dependent upon low phosphate levels. Arsenical compounds can be applied carefully, in small quantities as a metabolic poison to increase alkaloid yield, as it interferes with phosphate utilization being chemically similar to phosphorus, ideally, as arsenate. And IIRC to save money, 10% of the mannitol can be substituted for potassium chloride to maintain the osmotic balance, and save costs, being cheaper than mannitol, and it seems like asparagine is an ideal nitrogen source. Encapsulation in alginate microspheres serves both as a mechanical buffer, to prevent wear and tear type damage, because Claviceps spp. are rather sensitive to mechanical stress, and also to simulate an artificial pseudosclerotia type condition. The microspheres need to be as small as possible, because anything more than a couple of millimeters there becomes an anoxic internal zone where whilst the fungus located there might survive, the oxygen required to produce alkaloids higher than clavines is unavailable. So use of an oxygen-carrying perfluorocarbon emulsion is planned, as is addition of tween, as a surfectant which reportedly improves cellular permeability to O2. Might try extraction of the haemoglobin from a pint or so of my blood, and addition of the haemoglobin along with the perfluorocarbon emulsion base for the polyalginate microspheres, and contrast it with perfluorocarbon emulsion alone, haemoglobin alone and both.

The perfluorocarbon emulsion base for microsphere encapsulation does work, that much is known. I don't know if any experiments including haemoglobin have ever been performed by others though. I've got plenty ideas to try, along with of course the well known tricks and enhancements for improving alkaloid productivity.

Tl Dr yet...

I wasn't saying you know how someone with an ASD thinks, but more so what their personalities tend to be like due to the way someone on the spectrum percieves the world as different, which isn't too say that they are different, but it's a difference just like schizophrenia, bipolar, add, depression, and anxiety. I'm trying to say you know what you are, how you think, and why you think that way and that's why you can explain yourself well.

Hubert you're making no sense.... What stimming that autistic people do? I don't think you understand

Stimming is what would in technical terms, in many cases at least, be referred to as 'motor stereotypy', things like hand-flapping, rocking back and forth, one of mine is a kind of repeated clicking of the first few fingers and thumb, spinning in place in a semi-circular motion (I.e not turning right round, but rather, standing and rotating from, starting at a 12 o' clock to 9 'o clock and through to 3 'o clock and back, repeatedly, twisting at the ankles/knees and waist joints.) Flicking and/or clicking fingers in front of the face/eyes. Or in some people, jumping up and down in place repeatedly but for a relatively brief period. There was a girl in old school who used to (probably still does) that last one, and damn, was it ever sexy=D

And things I do like rolling a round hairbrush with stiff plastic prongs between the soles of my feet and the floor...mmmmm....it just feels so GOOD, its probably hard to explain to an NT, what we auties and aspies feel while we are stimming, difficult to put into words, but it really does feel great while one is stimming, it feels natural and just, well, RIGHT. An unpleasantly large numbers of different types of autism 'therapies' or interventions inflicted on kids try to stop them stimming, which is only to please the parents etc. by making us look on the surface, more 'normal', more resembling of NTs, but in fact can only be detrimental to the autie or aspie kid and make us more stressed, distressed and cause anxiety.

It is, IMO, perhaps a sort of safety valve, whereby we can vent excessive pressure before it turns problematic, or becomes an overload, and vent it off in a safe, sensorily predictable manner that we know the results of.

makes me think of how cats play.
imagine trying to stop them from stimming.

LMFAO!

You have no idea how much and how often the forums for the autistic community tend to compare auties and aspies to cats. And vice versa (cats to us...not the cats comparing themselves to us on cat-forums mind you)

One forum, now defunct, that I was a member of, AFF, an autistic activism forum, even had an ASCII rendition of a cat, with its paws bent and hanging itself over a line-rendition of a bar.

And of course, haven't you ever seen a cat flap?=D

And its a pretty common joke amongst our species that trying to get groups of auties/aspies to take orders etc. is like trying to herd cats. The feline is strong with us padawan.

Ooooooh ok... I was thinking amphetamines when I heard the word stimming. When I think of things like that as self soothing techniques or at least attempts.

That makes a lot more sense.

Whether I'm at home, or at a bank teller, or on a train, if I feel like it, I'm not going to suppress it and those who don't like it can suck my autistic dick and call it ice cream. People who think I'm a freak, etc.? well their issues are their problem, not mine, and they are welcome to think whatever they like about it or me. Just so long as they keep it to themselves and do not allow their issues to become mine. Thats where I draw the line, people are perfectly welcome to whatever private, personal opinion they like, just as long as those opinions are kept to themselves and neither thrown in my face, nor allowed to become the basis of hostile action. In which case I've not the slightest problem with making whoever thinks it ok to let their prejudices become an issue for me eat their words. And quite probably other bits of them for dessert. I don't START trouble, but if its given me, I'm happy enough to finish it.

Edit for pofacedhoe-spectrum disorder? no such thing. Autism isn't a disorder. If anything auties/aspies are more orderly than NTs. If anything, being NT is a disorder, for those poor buggers who have yet to evolve and are stuck without autism. Poor bastards. I feel sorry for them. I pity them, I really do. Its such a damn shame that they'll never reach the potential nature could have given them, but didn't.

And for me personally, the idea of the likes either of prenatal testing, a 'cure', or myself having been unfortunate enough to have been born NT, is about as attractive as vomiting pus from my eyesockets.

[Emphasis mine]

This is really quite a dickish and hypocritical thing to say.

Feeling sorry or giving pity to an autistic is a horrible way to think. Having empathy and sympathy is what one should have as well as respect and inspiration for someone especially those who constantly need to stimm/self sooth who are able to still accomplish whatever they can even if it is just to get through the day.

Taco-exactly; my last post was in a large part, sarcasm and snark directed at curebie types who view us as train-wrecks, wastes of life, 'not the perfect child we deserved', or even 'akin to cancer'. Or at its worst, curebie dog shit like the bitch responsible for 'autism every day', courtesy of those bastards at Autism Squeak...aeehhh...speaks...sorry=D. The video where some so-called 'mother'
who made a video and uploaded it online bitching about how life with a child with autism was so dreadful that she wished she could put her little (autistic) girl in her car, and drive them both off a bridge. The little girl, can't have been more than 4-6 years old, she was in the room at the time, having to hear her 'mother', the person who fucking gave birth to her and who is meant to love and cherish her and treat her with the respect a person deserves, especially a kid, to protect her, rant on about how she has been the ruin of her 'mom's life, a curse on her life, and how fucking miserable she makes her mother just because the fucking little bitch 'mom' didn't get the 'healthy' 'perfect' child she was entitled to, and how badly her mom wants to murder her and kill herself because of her (the kid) being autistic.

Not long after, little Katie McCarron, an autie girl, of about 4 years old, and from what anybody could tell, a happy-seeming, carefree kid, after HER 'mother' saw 'autism every day', what happened? the goddamned accursed neurotypical slut-bitch piece of shit packed wee Katie into the back of the family car, and drove off a bridge, killing them both.

It ain't pity we want or need, its the same respect as is accorded to others who have not done things such as to be undeserving of being respected by their deed and act. Empathy, sure, thats a good thing, but NTs acting as if it's there place to sneer down on us as being somehow a lesser form of life, a less-than-person who should have to worry about being aborted simply because we are spesh, someone that its a valid choice to simply throw away as a 'broken' foetus.

And Taco, as far as constantly stimming, why not? its not a bad thing. If I ever have kids, I wouldn't for a femtosecond even THINK of trying to discourage them from stimming as much as they like. I'll join them, seeing them happy and flappy, would make me just the same way, and I'd stim alongside and with them. The only exception I make for not stimming, is when I'm in my lab (science in general is one of my autie 'things', and although its taken me a while, I've put together my own lab, sinking thousands upon thousands over the decades into more glassware, hotplate/stirrers, my microscope and rotovap, power supplies, molten metal based heating baths., and thats not even taking into account either reagents bought, reagents bought to make other reagents [for example, iodine, red phosphorus and alcohols to make alkyl iodides, or bromine to make alkyl bromides, or efforts such as packing a column with I2 and passing chlorine gas through it, and distilling off the end product, to prepare my own iodine monochloride])

Or all the solvents I go through, or the time spent redistilling used solvent for recycling.

Thats the limit of my limits on stimming. It can't be indulged in if I'm decked out in a heavy leather trenchcoat, a full-face blast shield and goggles underneath, gas mask and elbow-length gloves over the top of the jacket sleeves, and holding a teflon lined container of something fuming, nasty, corrosive and toxic.

I don't need to 'get through the day' being autistic. Or the night (admittedly, like many if not the majority of auties and aspies I've got a squirrely sleep cycle and I', more or less nocturnal). I wake up and think 'another day being a spazz, lets see whats on the menu and whats on the to-do list for the lab work. And hey, I bet NT hobbyist chemists don't get to feel like a little kid on xmas morning knowing that they are going to have a big crate of several hundred quid's worth of new glassware come that day and every further day for the rest of the next two weeks, waiting for the postie to come in, rocking, flapping and just generally sparkling around the edges=D

I'm a spazz and I fucking love it.

Would I have it any other way? would I fucking bollocks on a cocktail stick! To be quite honest I find the idea of being born NT positively nightmarish.

Lol windows isn't bad? windows and M$ in general are the devil's own vomit.

Generally the different windows editions, getting worse and worse the longer things go on and the later the version, started out at least relatively stable, but with shit security, and better user control. But now, the little fuckers make nitrogen trichloride look like a paragon of thick-skinned stability.

I wasn't saying anything about stopping stimming.... I was just pointing out that there is a percentage that needs to constant utalizing self soothing techniques (I prefer that term over stimming, which sounds like it comes from the word stimulating or simulation). They honestly shouldn't be stopped or it turns into things that aren't obvious like picking scabs, biting nails, peeling dead skin, biting off skin in the mouth, etc. All those are literally what I work on not doing while going back to spinning in a chair or twirling a pen doesn't work anymore. The more acceptable ones I do is rub my belly or twirl my thumbs if not work on my liquid wave.

I wouldn't go for it myself. The reason being is that I bet a lot of the reasoning behind the 'not having to be obvious about it' is that the mindset behind that, is ultimately one of shame, as NT society hands down the message that it is 'unacceptable' 'odd' 'weird' 'stop that, child!' etc. And it isn't something that one should have to feel embarrassed about that.

I'm certainly not about to undergo brain surgery just so I can please neurotypicals by making it covert. If some NT finds that their fragile little snowflake mind just cannot see an autistic guy/chick (mm...got to say it is rather hot in the girls IMO=D) stimming without cracking psychologically, then thats tough. I'm not going to be made to feel as though I ought to skulk around in a dark alley just because I want to stim. Not my problem if some NT gets all in a flap about me stimming. Thats one thing I wont have. To be made to feel shame for who I am, and the fact that not only was I born autie, but that I like it that way too and would want the same for my kids.

As for militant auties, aspies, and one pretty militant, and damn fine girl with Rett's that I know, they exist. Much of the time it is out of need, essentially to hold the loonatic fringe of the NT supremacists, scum like autism speaks, and 'defeat autism now!' 'cure autism now', autism speaks being one of the worst. Some activism is needed. Because when they start preaching evil, somebody has to be there with that razor-edged snarker to slice them down a peg or two. A voice to the voiceless, in some cases, someone that will fight the corner of those who would be attacked and have no opportunity to defend themselves.

Although there are much more militant groups and people than that, outright supremacists are relatively rare. And IMO if one strays not too far from the spirit in which such advocacy, even in some of its militant guises, that of giving the voiceless a means to speak, a means to protest ill-treatment aimed at them, nightmares such as the judge rotenberg center (look it up, but be prepared to be truly sickened and appalled), that will stop people from straying off a righteous path when someone must fight.

My situation I wasn't diagnosed till after 18 years old so the behaviors were thought of as childish behaviors not self soothing techniques.

I wouldn't go for it myself. The reason being is that I bet a lot of the reasoning behind the 'not having to be obvious about it' is that the mindset behind that, is ultimately one of shame, as NT society hands down the message that it is 'unacceptable' 'odd' 'weird' 'stop that, child!' etc. And it isn't something that one should have to feel embarrassed about that.

I'm certainly not about to undergo brain surgery just so I can please neurotypicals by making it covert. If some NT finds that their fragile little snowflake mind just cannot see an autistic guy/chick (mm...got to say it is rather hot in the girls IMO=D) stimming without cracking psychologically, then thats tough. I'm not going to be made to feel as though I ought to skulk around in a dark alley just because I want to stim. Not my problem if some NT gets all in a flap about me stimming. Thats one thing I wont have. To be made to feel shame for who I am, and the fact that not only was I born autie, but that I like it that way too and would want the same for my kids.

As for militant auties, aspies, and one pretty militant, and damn fine girl with Rett's that I know, they exist. Much of the time it is out of need, essentially to hold the loonatic fringe of the NT supremacists, scum like autism speaks, and 'defeat autism now!' 'cure autism now', autism speaks being one of the worst. Some activism is needed. Because when they start preaching evil, somebody has to be there with that razor-edged snarker to slice them down a peg or two. A voice to the voiceless, in some cases, someone that will fight the corner of those who would be attacked and have no opportunity to defend themselves.

Although there are much more militant groups and people than that, outright supremacists are relatively rare. And IMO if one strays not too far from the spirit in which such advocacy, even in some of its militant guises, that of giving the voiceless a means to speak, a means to protest ill-treatment aimed at them, nightmares such as the judge rotenberg center (look it up, but be prepared to be truly sickened and appalled), that will stop people from straying off a righteous path when someone must fight.

[Emphasis mine]

This is really quite a dickish and hypocritical thing to say.

Yeah it is and I'm autistic.LC's He's an aspie supremacist. They make us all look bad. No one is more evolved than anyone else, and I think we evolved to have diverse neurologies that contributed to humanity being a successful species in different ways. I mean I'm pretty sure that it had to be an autistic being super obsessed about their special interests that perfected things like soap, bows and arrows, and a bunch of stuff like that, and neurotypicals tend to adjust to change and some kinds of stress more quickly. Both of those were super important. LC's right about Autism not being a disorder. It's just one of the ways people have brains.

Having empathy and sympathy is what one should have as well as respect and inspiration for someone especially those who constantly need to stimm/self sooth who are able to still accomplish whatever they can even if it is just to get through the day.

Sweetie, I know you mean well, but really, none of us need any sympathy because we stim, and it's not any more inspirational when disabled people get through their days than it is for anyone else to. I'm wiggling my toes right now to stim. I don't need any sympathy for doing something that feels nice. Really. There's nothing wrong with stimming and it's not sad. It makes neurotypicals uncomfortable to see it, but that's somthing y'all need to work on.

I never had any trouble tripping, but I did handle my shit a lot better than neurotypical people did so I didn't seem as high as they were even when I was. I guess because I already had so much practice mediating sensory overload that I could be blitzed and I had the mental habits to stay pretty lucid even when I was high af. *People were always trying to make me drive when I was way too fucked up to drive because they thought I was sober.* I was not ?

He may not be able to trip tho. It could have something to do with his autism or it may not have anything to do with it. People react to drugs in all kinds of unpredictable ways. Autistic or neurotypical. I had one friend who couldn't roll. She did it twice and the last time she did she took three off the strongest pills I've ever seen. Eating 2 of them was a mistake for me and I had a *big* tolerance at that point.

Everyone stims. Twirling hair, tapping their foot, humming, whistling, biting nails, tapping a pencil, cracking knuckles, rubbing some fabric that feels nice, chewing on a pen doodling, fidgeting, cracking out on you phone, fidgeting. Those are all stims. Plus people with ADHD stim as much or more as autistic people do.

Not an aspie supremacist. I just wouldn't want to BE neurotypical.

And I'd find it hard to be an aspie supremacist anyway, considering I'm not an aspie. Autie and loving it =D

I do agree with gerto though, that none of us need any sympathy or empathy because we stim. It does make NTs uncomfortable to see it, but that doesn't mean its wrong. It means that they are going to have to learn to like it or lump it, because
I'm sure as hell not going to stop for them just because somebody isn't used to it and they go 'eerrgh. DIFFERENT!'

That crowd can bugger off, as can the curebies. Curebies, now those bastards I do have it in for. Although that hardly makes me an autistic supremacist, it just makes me somebody who can't fucking stand NT fuckups who compare us to cancer, who make videos about how much they wish they could load their autistic 6-7yo kid and themselves into a car and drive them both off a bridge to their deaths because she didn't get the 'perfect' fucking kid she can't even see for what she is. While that same kid is in the fucking ROOM with her too having to hear it, and be filmed, and then that filthy propaganda uploaded to the web without our consent. And which shortly after, leads to someone who has seen it killing their autistic daughter and themselves.

Doesn't make me some kind of autistic nazi to want to see the members of autism speaks rounded up into their HQ, and burnt alive with flamethrowers before dynamiting the building down in on their charred carcasses. It means I object to being dehumanized, to people murdering my kind, to being called a fucking cancer, that I object to being told I somehow have a disease, disorder or whatever the fuck else you want to call it. I don't. I'm autistic and I'm completely fine with that, and I wouldn't have it any other way. And it means I look out for my own interests, and those of my people.

And the cunts trying to develop 'cures', or worse still, prenatal tests that would just lead to us being aborted en masse. Am I supposed to LIKE them for that? because I don't. I swear enmity without end towards those who would pursue such disgusting, abhorrent filth, and sick, torturing fucking subhuman bastards such as keeping special needs people being sent to the judge rotenberg center legal (seriously look it up, although only if you have a strong stomach. These people imprisoned here have committed no crime, and even if they had, in US law, even a child rapist could not legally be jailed and treated the way the JRC detainees are. Shock-belt torture, forced immobilization for days on end, for as little as asking to go to the toilet. Forced starvation. Some major league shit, shit you would go to jail for if you inflicted it on a dog. The JRC is the guantanamo bay of special needs, and I don't mean that in anything but a literal way. Only the inmates in the JRC have nobody to speak for them, no investigations, or when there were, they were permitted to continue by the eponymous judge rot(t)enberg.

Fucking bastards. I'd happily flay them alive.