• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does anyone else support animal research?

I support animal research... On human animals... You want a cure test it on your fucking self. Why should the ones who don't benefit take all the crap?

*edit - I'm a reactionist - sue me*

I also seem to remember reading somehwere, no source, that most non-human animal experimentation was useless (especially drug research) beacause of the differences in our biology.

Last edited:
Lostpunk- As I've already explained in this thread drug research IS done on humans, but the FDA will not allow human experimentation until animal research on comparable mammals is conducted. Usually it starts with rats, cats, or some other small mammal. Sometimes, but very rarely, it is done on primates. There isn't much support for primate research anymore because we know how similar they are to us.

After a treatment has been deemed relatively safe the FDA will clear the first wave of human trials. It takes many years for a new drug to go through the animal phase, human phase, and then finally come to market.

I don't like using animals if we don't have to, but I have yet to see a viable alternative. We aren't just going to abandon medical research... individuals may feel that such a sacrifice is worth it, but as a whole no species will allow its own survival to be called into question if it can be avoided.

If the non-human research was useless do you think medical companies (which are for profit corporations) would waste millions or even billions of dollars on such types of research? What kind of logic is that?

i support research on black women for the benefit of white men with blond hair.
anything is justifiable if scientists can make the public believe that it's beneficial to the health of white men with blond hair.

the same with animals

the fact that different species react differently to the same products has no significance.

we scientists will keep feeding Thalidomide (considered safe after the tests on animals) to pregnant mothers so more children get born with missing limbs, because the 10.000 born are not enough.
we will consider that the 30.000 cases of blindness, paralysis and death after taking Clioquinol (considered safe after the tests on animals) are pure coincidence.
we'll be proud of the 18.000 mice killed to produce Teropterine (considered safe after the tests on animals) which instead of curing leukaemia sufferers helped them die quickly.
20 deaths is such a nice number for the release of Osmosine (considered safe after the tests on animals).
we will forget about the 70 persons dead after taking Opren (considered safe after the tests on animals)
and best of all, we're proud to have found a new fertilizer for women, Tamoxifene. who cares if it was at first considered contraceptive after studies on rats.

we'll see how much cyanide you can eat. if it's inoffensive to sheep, it can't be bad to humans.
and don't forget to eat amanita phalloide, squirrels love it.

we will keep killing animals although there's always need for phase 4 test on humans to actually know how the product acts on humans.
but won't arrive to phase 4 the chemicals that are dangerous to animals.

indeed, god forbid that we use penicillin, it's deadly to guinea pigs.
aspirin should never be used, it provokes pregnancy problems in cats.
morphine should be used as an stimulant, just like it acts on cats and mice.
god forbid you eat parsley, it kills parrots.
don't put salt on your food, it's deadly to birds.

we will keep wasting huge amounts of money on animal experimentation instead of developing studies in vitro, cells culture and computer modelisation.

we will keep infecting sane bodies with a disease so that the virus can mutate, become stronger and kill more people.

we won't consider that the stress in which live the animals can have the slightest influence on the results.

Those pictures looked pretty old to me, you'd be hard pressed to find a lab like that nowadays, there are VERY strict guidelines and an enforcement agency to keep it clean, so to speak
and very strict guidelines so that no pictures of the labs will be taken and risk to influence the public opinion.

If the non-human research was useless do you think medical companies (which are for profit corporations) would waste millions or even billions of dollars on such types of research? What kind of logic is that?
well, the logic is that at first they honestly thought it worked. and they got subventions to "help humanity" and sell their results.
now if they admit it doesn't work, they will lose all their credibility and subventions.
so they keep the big masquerade going on.

JerryBlunted said:
Mynameisnotdeja- Well, you can think that if you want, but most people would choose the path that leaves them with medicine, and for good reason.

And its not just one disease, its almost ALL the diseases we have treatments for.

Yeah I know. I pride myself on not being "most people".
And since I am poor as fuck, no insurance, and pretty much can't afford health care, I never use medicine anyways. If I ever got really sick I would probably just die because I wouldn't be able to afford care.
I'd rather die than know that an innocent animal suffered so I could live.

vegan, do you honestly believe that the only reason biologists and pharmaceutical researchers do animal research is to... what... not look bad, which they would, because, uh, other biologists had once said animal research was useful? That really doesn't make any sense at all to me.

It's really simple: animal research is useful because biologically animals are very similar to people. They're obviously not identical; some drugs will have different effects across species. But the differences are vastly overwhelmed by the similarities. eg, when you learn say cellular biology, you learn just cellular biology, not "human cellular biology" or "rat cellular biology," because it makes no difference -- the basic design is entirely the same until you get to almost another kingdom (eg plants vs animals, where there are a couple of differences).

We have 99% of the same genes as mice, and 85% of our DNA is the exact same, so this isn't too surprising: take a look at

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/04/coolsc.coolsc.mousegenome/
http://www.msnbc.com/news/951933.asp?0sl=-10

---

You listed, what, 13 drugs with drastically different effects on some animal than on humans? I don't doubt it. That does not mean animal testing is useless; just that not 100% perfect. Which is why we also do human tests.

Consider: there are ~5,000 drugs approved by the FDA right now; for each one approved ~200 go through preclinincal testing (now at least) in labs/animals -- so that's a million or so candidates. For each drug that has such differing effects in humans vs animals, hundreds, thousands, probably far more will be caught because of animal testing.

Imagine if instead of those 13 drugs that mistakenly killed or blinded patients, there were 13,000...

And it's even more than that... without animal research we simply wouldn't be able to come up with these drugs. There's just no substitute, and there's no way there could be one in the foreseeable future: we're nowhere close to understanding the biology well enough to do without it.

For the drugs you listed, the only one I know anything about is thalidomide -- which *is* harmful to pregnant animals, just as it is humans. But back then, in the 1950's, drug safety testing was far less rigorous than today; thalidomide was never tested for birth defects in animals at all. The testing regimen today would have caught it: instead of ~10,000 deformed babies, there would have been a couple dozen deformed rabbits.

Would that really have been worse?

vegan said:
i support research on black women for the benefit of white men with blond hair.
anything is justifiable if scientists can make the public believe that it's beneficial to the health of white men with blond hair.

we will keep wasting huge amounts of money on animal experimentation instead of developing studies in vitro, cells culture and computer modelisation.

and very strict guidelines so that no pictures of the labs will be taken and risk to influence the public opinion.

well, the logic is that at first they honestly thought it worked. and they got subventions to "help humanity" and sell their results.
now if they admit it doesn't work, they will lose all their credibility and subventions.
so they keep the big masquerade going on.

Vegan, I am trying to understand where you are coming from, but quite frankly what you are saying is absolutely false. For starters, science is NOT just for the benefit of white men with blonde hair. As a matter of fact, many of the scientists that I know personally are not even white. Science is for the benefit of general human knowledge, how technology is applied (which is out of the hands of the scientists and into the hands of the corporations) can be grossly unfair, but that is not the fault of the scientists, it is a societal issue related to economics.

I already mentioned all those alternative methods of research as completely inadequate. The accuracy is just not close enough to the results we obtain from using mammalian research animals.

As for the strict guidelines jab, have you ever seen a modern research facility? Do you know what the conditions are like? Do you know the guidelines? Well, I have and I can tell you the conditions for the animals are sanitary, healthy, and probably more comfortable for them than most pets that people keep in cages. The researcher is responsible for keeping the animals from hurting each other, from getting sick, and from being malnourished. There are spot inspections to make sure that the facilities are up to snuff, with fairly severe consequences if it is not. Not just anyone can use research animals, you need to be qualified in order to order them from the company which breeds them.

Your final point: Do you really believe that science as a whole is just one big trick being played on the people of the world? And what the hell is subvention?

I already stated that most scientists would support a viable alternative should one come along. Yet there aren't any right now, so should we just stop making medicine? Absolutely not!

Mynameisnotdeja- I don't have medical insurance either so I'd probably be right behind you on dying... however, I wouldn't presume to tell the rest of the world not to take advantage of what they can to help heal themselves. Ideally, high quality medical care would be a right of citizenship in this nation, but that would be a little too liberal for today's political climate.

you are saying is absolutely false. For starters, science is NOT just for the benefit of white men with blonde hair. As a matter of fact, many of the scientists that I know personally are not even white
8) 8) 8)
ok, so i once said about someone who had written : [SARCASM]…his post…[/SARCASM]
that i thought sarcasm lost all its interest if you had to precise that it was sarcastic.
unfortunately i've come to realize that a lot of bluelighters just can't recognize irony, sarcasm and jokes.
this was IRONIC.
you said experimentations on animals are ok if they benefit humans.
and i joked saying "ok, well for me it's ok to experiment on black women if it benefits white men."
cause it's the same idea that the interests of the group to which you belong are more important than the ones of other groups.

I already mentioned all those alternative methods of research as completely inadequate
the defenders of these methods say they are more effective for instance because you can study exclusively what you want to. you don't have risks of interactions with other factors.
have you ever seen a modern research facility?
i wouldn't have been able to if i had wanted to.
but i've met people who worked with animals (and no i didn't spit on them). they couldn't deny that a cage is a cage, even if the wall are clean and white.
Well, I have and I can tell you the conditions for the animals are sanitary, healthy
but Marshall Farms wasn't allowed to open farm in france because of sanitary reasons! there are some mysteries in this world
The researcher is responsible for keeping the animals from hurting each other
what makes them hurt each other?
the stress due to the imprisonment.
Do you really believe that science as a whole is just one big trick being played on the people of the world?
science, no
animal experimentation, yes.
the public has been fooled before.
one example would be Louis Pasteur that most still consider a great scientist.
(well, we could also talk about religion but the topic is to science here)
i have no doubt that when scientists first started to experiment they thought is was useful.
even to me it would seem logical (apart from the ethical problem)
but bad luck, it's not. and animals are not a model comparable to humans.
i also have no doubt that a lot of scientists decide to close their ears and (force themselves to) believe that their studies are useful rather than change their way of working.
it takes time to make people admit their mistakes and evolve. (even though most governments have been handed the poof of the utility of many illegal drugs, they won't admit their errors)
i'm also sure that 99% of the students believe what they are told without the slightest questioning. and consequently believe their 60 years old teachers when they teach them the methods used 30 years ago.
And what the hell is subvention?
sorry, french word. it means grant.
I already stated that most scientists would support a viable alternative should one come along
it doesn't cost much money to keep searching the way they've been doing. it costs money to invest in a new tool and to throw the old ones in the garbage can.
animal research is useful because biologically animals are very similar to people
from what i remember, rice (the vegetable) and humans have around 2/3 of their genes in common.
that's obviously not enough to make them look and act the same way.
on the other hand, one deficient gene out of 50.000 can give a human a disease that makes him incomparable with other humans.
You listed, what, 13 drugs with drastically different effects on some animal than on humans?
there are more that have killed (Chlorampenicol, Teropten, Flosint, Manoplax, Flenac, Zomak, Ibufenac), that are inoffensive to some animals, but dangerous to humans (Atropine, Botulin, Ergotinine, Hemlock, Alcohol méthylique, Scopolamine, Strychnine). or that are useful to humans but dangerous on some animals (Insuline, Cortisone)
which means that:
- when something is inoffensive to animals, you don't know what it will do to humans.
humans will have to test it anyway. the animals suffered and died for nothing
- research is slowed down when a chemical is found dangerous to animals, even though it can be useful to humans.
- consequently, when something is found inoffensive on humans and animals, animal experimentation didn't help, it's a coincidence. (but it's easy for scientists to justify later by saying "see, we had tested it successfully on animals". what about all the "successful tests" that were a failure on humans?
for each one approved ~200 go through preclinincal testing (now at least) in labs/animals
how many of the 199 could have been beneficial to humans? we'll never know until we use alternative methods that show how they act on humans and not animals.
Imagine if instead of those 13 drugs that mistakenly killed or blinded patients, there were 13,000...
from memory only, i think in france alone there are 1.000.000 (to be checked) people who go to the hospital every year because of medication' secondary effects.
i searched about thalidomide and you're right, tests on pregnant animals also show malformations. the company's excuse comes out then as "the tests were not adequately done". what is a good test then? one that studies every drug combination possible? what about the next "oh but we hadn't checked on animals if there was a risk of third generation mutation" or "we hadn't checked if the combination with cough syrup was dangerous"
of ~10,000 deformed babies, there would have been a couple dozen deformed rabbits. Would that really have been worse?
back to the ethical question then : what about the scientists' own babies?
you don't kill others to benefit your family.

Has anyone here read an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on a toxic chemical/drug? Some have LD50 (Lethal Dose for 50% population) listings for about ten different animals, including many higher mammals. That data must've come from experiments designed specifically to find LD50's which implies the use of a lot of animals, each receiving varying amounts - some way high, others quite low but still toxic enough to cause illness.

All for what? So we know how much we aren't supposed to ingest? How about not eating any of it then, huh? Common sense.

If we didn't do research for drugs, or as you put it "not eating any of it" the next real nasty flu could come around and wipe out millions of people. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

I'm not saying the use of animals is ideal, however, at this present point there are no viable alternatives. Vegan, I'd like to see the data that shows these alternative methods you are espousing are equally or even more effective than lab animal testing. That is the thing about science, it is based on statistical evidence, not just what one teacher says to his students. For this reason it is self correcting. Also, be careful about using sarcasm in the printed form, it is often difficult to distinguish from the many absurd arguments people make all the time in here. It's not like I can't pick up on sarcasm, its just not always easy when its bracketed by other claims that I find just as erroneous.

You can still complete useful research with in vitro experiments leading to a ball-park concentrations to use for in vivo drug trials, but giving 20 horses 1mg/ml cyanide, another 20 10mg/ml etc. is really quite far past the ethical use of animals vs usefulness of findings balance.

But, like I said, that was all decades ago. Animal use has cleaned up considerably over the last 10-15 years, and it would be a shame for present and future generations of scientists to be held accountable for past events. Especially if those persecuting are white colonists...

zorn said:
Uh, I'd say it's more the fact that they're monkeys, not people.

'Common-sense' morality says that animals are less deserving of rights or protection than people. If you want to argue that they're equivalent -- that we ought to extend the same rights to them as to people, or that we should not kill any animals even if it will save human lives -- then it would seem the burden is upon you to argue why we should treat them the same.

The argument that something is 'common sense' is a really weak one, and every time I hear it used I think of the Thoreau quote, "Why level down to our dullest perception always and praise that as common sense? The commonest sense is the sense of men asleep, which they express by snoring."

It would seem to me, that the responsibility should fall on every person to deeply consider if/why it is moral to experiement on another living being before advocating it, instead of accepting it as "common sense morality" and placing the "burden" of thinking on someone else.

The way I see it, the only way someone could morally do something to an animal that they would consider "wrong" to do to a human, is if they could logically show why the human species is more important or "better" than any other one.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread do that, and I don't think its possible. So, of course, in regard to any animal rights issue, people fall behind "its common sense - they're monkeys not people!"

Ill make this quick since im not in the mood for arguments.

IMO

Animal testing should not exist in any way shape or form

skywise said:
The argument that something is 'common sense' is a really weak one... It would seem to me, that the responsibility should fall on every person to deeply consider if/why it is moral to experiement on another living being before advocating it, instead of accepting it as "common sense morality" and placing the "burden" of thinking on someone else.
Call it a "moral intuition" instead then. That's what the majority of our morality is based on after all -- gut feelings of 'rightness' or 'wrongness.' Seems right to me, and to most people.

Now if you wish to advance the claim that "animals and humans are ethically equivalent," you need to come up with arguments to back it up. Certainly that's possible; I can think of a few just off the top of my head. Otherwise by Occam's razor it goes. So, why should we care about an earthworm as much as a human? Why should we care if one dies?
there are more that have killed, that are inoffensive to some animals, but dangerous to humans. or that are useful to humans but dangerous on some animals which means that:... consequently, when something is found inoffensive on humans and animals, animal experimentation didn't help, it's a coincidence
That's completely ridiculous!

Look, by this reasoning, since some people who get say pneumonia and take antibiotics die anyways, and others don't take antibiotics and recover anyways; then whenever antibiotics seem to cure pneumonia it's "just a coincidence" and antiobiotics are useless. Animal testing may catch dangerous drugs 98% of the time (and hence miss them 2% of the time); that would still make it incredibly useful, despite the existence of a few examples where it didn't work.

Zorn

A "moral intuition" huh. If most people had a "gut feeling" that it was okay to treat animals in a way that wasn't pleasurable or beneficient to the animal, and even sometimes (often?) hurt or killed the animal, don't you think more people would be doing experiments on their pets? Or hunting their own food?

A lot of the reasons people are giving as to why they support animal experimentation in this thread sound like justifications. Posts are often, "yes, its bad (i.e. it gives me a bad gut feeling), however, its justifiable because of ____." And, to me, a lot of the justifications seem illogical.

A lot of people, for instance justify it by saying they appreciate and respect the animals. In this very thread, someone said, "I have the greatest amount of respect for the animals, they give their lives to science." To me, though, that seems nonsensical. To say that the animals "give" their lives to science is to imply that they have a choice. Something can't be "given" if it is forcibly taken. And then, to say that one has "great respect" doesn't really match up with the action of experimenting on them. There is nothing respectful about it.

That's what the majority of our morality is based on after all -- gut feelings of 'rightness' or 'wrongness.'
an intuition is subjective.
whereas it's not subjective to ask yourself "does it induce any suffering?" instead of asking yourself "do i feel that it's right"
animals do suffer. it's a fact, not an intuition.
"...the question is not, can they reason?, nor can they talk? but, can they suffer"?
- Jeremy Bentham (philosopher)
"aren't no wrong, aren't no right, there's only pleasure and pain"
- Perry Farrel
i'm mot against the use of animals by intuition or sensibility.
i'm not crazy for little kitties and puppies.
i'm against the use of animals for the same reason i'm against the exploitation of humans.
i wouldn't want others to make me suffer, i don't make others suffer.
animals can suffer, so i leave them alone.
Now if you wish to advance the claim that "animals and humans are ethically equivalent," you need to come up with arguments to back it up.
the person doing harm has to justify his actions, not the other way around.
but what would make humans ethically superior to animals?
intelligence?
like said skywise, if it was the case you would be ethically inferior to other humans.
and this would also legitimate the exploitation of mentally retarded people, and of children.
so if the criteria is not intelligence, what is it?
sensibility, kindness, altruism?
we are big losers at this game. the very exploitation of animals being the proof.
then what? speed, the jaguar wins. vision, the eagle wins. smell, the dog wins. survival in a jungle, even an ant wins.
there's no criteria for "ethical superiority"
So, why should we care about an earthworm as much as a human?
are you trying to escape by changing rabbits into earthworms?.
it wouldn't be to you advantage because the metabolism of an earthworm has even less in common with that of a human to justify experimentation.
so you think an earthworm is something disgusting enough so that people will think "oh yeah, it's alright to kill them.". what about someone very ugly or someone with a malformation? does the fact that they were born in this body give less importance to their life?
if you don't care about animals as much as humans, fine with me. everyone can have their preferences as long as you respect the others.
Why should we care if one dies?
there's a difference between not caring if an animal dies and making it die and suffer.
since some people who get say pneumonia and take antibiotics die anyways, and others don't take antibiotics and recover anyways; then whenever antibiotics seem to cure pneumonia it's "just a coincidence" and antiobiotics are useless
you didn't understand.
medecine A cures rabbits.
medecine B cures rabbits.

medecine A cures humans.
medecine B is dangerous for humans.

pro-tests will say "we found that medicine A cures humans because we found that it cured rabbits".
no, because it cures rabbits doesn't imply that it cures humans, look at B.
it's different from what you thought i said which would be "A doesn't always work, and some people recover without A"

Animal testing is necessary for the continued survival of our species, much like how hunting mastodons for their fur and meat was during the Ice Age. Our major threat in this current day and age (aside from ourselves which is a whole other topic) is from pathogens. The only way we know how to combat these pathogens is through medicine and currently the most effective way to develop medicine is through animal research.

If you are so against it then don't take medicine. Otherwise you are being a hypocrite. Next time you have the flu don't take anything. If you come down with viral meningitis don't take anything. If you, God forbid, develop cancer or diabetes or gout or just a really nasty itchy rash don't take anything. Then come talk to me about how you feel about this subject.

Nobody in this thread has said we like the idea of making animals suffer for our continued survival, but that is the way nature works unfortunately. It is a pretty nasty business, but that's the business we're in.

Hypothetical situation, let us say there is a human carrying a disease that is capable of rapidly spreading. Will we let him go on his merry way or will we quarantine him, depriving him of his liberty and thus making him suffer? Of course we will choose the latter because the suffering of an individual or smaller group of individuals is always going to be of less importance than the continued existence of the masses PROVIDED there is no other reasonable way to achieve this goal.

I asked for efficacy studies to show how these alternate methods of testing are as reliable as animal testing on a long term basis. When I see this information and if it is reasonably conclusive I would no doubt resign my support for animal testing, but until that day I consider it one of the many unpleasant realities of being pragmatic in an imperfect world.

JerryBlunted said:

If you are so against it then don't take medicine. Otherwise you are being a hypocrite. Next time you have the flu don't take anything. If you come down with viral meningitis don't take anything. If you, God forbid, develop cancer or diabetes or gout or just a really nasty itchy rash don't take anything. Then come talk to me about how you feel about this subject.

Someone commented in this thread that animal rights activists are often too black and white. This is the reason why. If they express a dissenting attitude about any kind of treatment to animals, they are attacked for being a 'hypocrite." Then, if they try to "purify' themselves of any possible hypocricy they're called an extremist.

People don't have to be perfect to argue a view. The writers of the US constitution and declaration of independence certainly didn't practice perfect democracy (they had slaves), but it certainly was a good thing that they wrote and argued for democracy no?

Well, for starters I certainly hope no one stops taking medicine. My whole point is that this issue is NOT just a black and white case. People were saying they do not support animal research for any possible cause, I was pointing out the consequences if such a position were the majority view. We wouldn't have the medicine that we currently rely on today.

My whole point throughout this thread has been that animal research is a necessary evil, well I don't know if the word evil is the right word for it, but you get my point.

The reason why my argument made sense and wasn't using an unfair double standard is because the medicine argument directly pertains to what we are talking about here.... medicine is what we do animal research to create. Therefore if you are against animal research you shouldn't enjoy its benefits while condemning those who create those benefits using the method you are so against. By doing so I was trying to illustrate the somewhat absurd nature of the argument as it was my belief that no one is going to actually stop taking medicine if they seriously need it (provided they can afford it, which is a whole different can of worms entirely).

Also, I have repeatedly shown how I was willing to change my mind should credible evidence be produced that we don't need animal testing. I haven't seen any yet, though.