• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do you think it's possible to just try heroin once?

Experiences

I did it just once. Snorted like $30 (which is a lot of pure heroin, with me having 0 tolerance to opiates) in a 4 dollar room by myself in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I literally thought I was overdosing and going to die.

I am not a naive drug user, although I usually stick to Rx/alcohol, but I had a goodbye letter scribbled down and everything. I stayed awake through the hell that too much heroin was, and vowed never to go there again. I was on a really high amount of benzos at the time (legal and otc in Cambodge), and my judgement was so off. The things I did that week in-between different adventures, I am surprised I am still here to type about it. So yes, it can be done, but it might be a different story if your first time was more pleasurable.

What a first experience. I had to create an account just to message you. Were you living in Phnom Penh or just visiting? That's crazy you had that first experience and that was A LOT of heroin for your first time. I would've thought I was probably going to die, too. I'm not naive to drugs either, but I'm trying to stay clean for my life and this thread helps me see that staying clean is exactly what I need to do. Amazing story, but you're right, I would've made that vow to myself as well. Never do it again.

Is it possible to have sex just once? Some do sure, but it's generally not the norm...

But do we know for fact that the majority of users become dependent? I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'm wondering how we back this statement up.

It's possible, just not probable...

Agreed. Though the people who want to try heroin are probably already pretty far into the drug game so it might skew the stats on that. I know I and everykne I know did it way more than once, though we are all addicts.

Heroin is definitely a "choice" drug, at least in my (American) culture. What I mean is that unilke, say, MDMA or Cocaine, which you may just randomly encounter on a night out to the bars, you generally end up making a conscious choice to seek Heroin out. Junkie's are not particularly "evangelical" in their approach to drug use, meaning you're just not as likely to encounter it, without setting out to do so... This to me is the big difference between Heroin use and use of other drugs. I know for certain you probably won't start injecting dope every day without some kind of prior initiation into the lifestyle of a drug addict/heavy user.

Or course, it is possible to try heroin just once, however it really is not recommended lol

nothing against the OP but I truly hate people who ask this question; esp. someone who goes on to say 'I've seen so many friends say the same and now they are addicted", much like the OP says, lol. why do you even ask? is it just to read a bunch of people tell different stories? be honest here, I am just wondering why people ask; esp. someone who has been around it before and goes onto say they know a bunch of people addicted. I could see if you knew nothing about the drug and had an opportunity to use but it seems you know it well enough not to ask.

either way, anyone can get away w/ trying it once. you might not even like it the first time but the fact that the world is addicted to heroin will draw you back and make you wonder what everyone "loves" so much. well, eventually you will start to pick up more and more and before you know it a needle will be in you arm. end of story. but yes, there is that 1 in a 100,000th person to get away w/ it and not cause any harm of worry. so maybe, just maybe, you'll be that lucky 1.. OR, you could not ever pick up a straw/needle, whatever it is that you do, and save yourself a life time of misery/money/morals (I was trying to go w/ all M's here but I ran out).

I did it once but for 2 weeks straight. Wouldn't touch it again or I would be addicted. Depends on personality

Yet you recently did post how you relapsed on dope/H, and people should know that using heroin or deciding to try it or use it is extremely risky and basically asking for an addiction to opiates. I wish you good luck and success in staying off dope and becoming clean/sober.

I'm not singling you out, or saying you're a bad person. We're all just human, and opiate addiction happens to all sort of people.

I believe more people statistically will try cigarettes and eventually become addicted, than will try heroin and eventually become addicted (approx. 1 in 3 vs. approx. 1 in 4, respectively, IIRC). So that would seem to me that not only is it possible to try heroin and not become addicted, it's probable. But then again keeping use recreational is different from "only trying it once".

That is a really tough question. But it is possible (probable?) If you can't be talked out of it and you know you're gonna try it - ask someone to try to talk you out of it one more time!! If you still decide to do it, here is my best advice, without judgment- get yourself mentally prepared and tell yourself you are going to sate your curiosity, you are going to enjoy it, savor the feeling and then tuck the memory somewhere safe inside - like the memory of a day dream - and re=live it only in that day dream. Everyone is different of course, but my first experience was the best - but I wanted to feel that feeling again and went chasing that damn dragon - and never caught up to him again. You get a teaser here and there but in my case - never the same! I'm going on 2 yrs clean now - I still relive the feeling of my first experience in my mind! When I have a loved one who is hell bent of trying it - and I know damn well they'll find someone to try it with one way or another, this is what I tell them. Firstly, please believe me - the first time, if done as safely as possible, is very likely the best it's gonna get. I would advise against drinking alcohol or having any other drugs in your system. Find someone who knows what they are doing and won't be getting high while you are, to be by your side through the whole experience. Someone you trust with your life! Literally, let's be blunt here - if something goes bad and they bolt -you're likely to die! Have heroin available from a batch that someone who is a user has already tried and can give somewhat of a guideline on the quality, etc. and realize your tolerance is nothing compared to an experienced user! Have several clean, unused and wrapped syringes. If you don't usually IV first time can be tricky. If I have to tell you not to share or reuse needles - you have no business even thinking about trying this! Have something safe and soft to tie off with and you may want to soak your arm in warm water before starting. Make sure you register your shot (your guide should be experienced in this or you chose the wrong person - if they don't get the process - including hygiene- don't let them shoot you up!) When you see a bloom of blood in the syringe, loosen the tie off and have your guide slowly push the plunger in. If it burns tell them to stop! clean the injection site with an alcohol pad. You may try to re-register once, twice is getting way iffy and I don't recommend it. Have a working phone and vehicle (just in case) Have a safe and comfortable place to do it, have plenty of water on hand,some snacks too perhaps and realize you may feel a little queezy at first, or itchy so don't dwell on that to the point it gets you feeling paranoid, but do Keep the line of communication wide open and mention it. - tell the person supervising you how you feel - happy, scared or anything in between. feel like your gonna pass out? SAY IT! feel like you wanna listen to strange music and trip? Say it, do it! Stay comfortable in what should be your one time only little euphoria zone - and take my words to heart - make it a one time thing - and please don't chase the dragon. He will turn around and bite you, and his bites can easily be deadly. If you decide to have the experience, above all, be safe - but if you've taken it this far, I hope you also enjoy - just not enough to do it again!

Last edited:
i would love a study to be done..take 100 people who have first tried heroin recently..write the date down, then 6 months later check in with them, a year later the same..2 years later go find them etc etc..id love to know how many ended up just stopping on their own, how many are using 'functionally' meaning they still have a job and car and who went on opiod maintenance..

i know there are people who have used heroin only once but those people did not like the feeling..

Over five or years I've done herion, maybe five times. It's not bad but I enjoy other opiates a bit more and don't do them with any real frequency. Other drugs are far more interesting for me personally...

5-y/o thread. I think if the feeling doesn't appeal to you much and you have a disciplined personality you can do it.
I know I tried it for my first and "only" time, then immediately decided I was going to be a strictly recreational user ...and w/in a week of my first shot I was dopesick w/o it and w/in ~5 months I was shooting a gram+ a day of good quality shit.
the funny thing is that I had never really liked opiates before trying them (good heroin in particular) IV, they didn't have much effect on me via other ROAs ...I thought my drug of choice was amphetamines. and eventually I was turning down free shard because I was hoping to get dope later and I didn't want the meth to fuck w/ my opiate state of fuckedupedness. amphetamines, even IV, will just never compare to IV opiates/heroin.
I personally was hooked like a fish after a single use.

I actually think that IV shard > IV dope

yeah that's my boyfriend's opinion too ...that opinion has taken everything he owns and put him into jail/prison repeatedly as well as taken his sanity because he can't handle his shit in the least and doesn't know when to stop and he does incredibly stupid shit, he will go into full blown amphetamine psychosis after months of daily use and be completely unaware how crazy he is and still be taking massive shots multiple times a day, and nobody on earth can convince him how delusional and out of control he is, he's somehow convinced that what he's doing is somehow good for him while he's doing it. seeing him deal w/ that has also given me a distaste for meth ...like I know it would be different, it has been different, for me because I can actually handle my shit remarkably well when it comes to amphetamines, but to see how bad it CAN get makes me never want to do it again. at least dope doesn't fuck you up like that, it fucks you up in a whole different way and I'd rather be fucked up like that then actually lose my sanity.
the most ridiculous part is that since becoming a hardcore tweaker my boyfriend has developed this like ...fucking hatred for opiate users of any kind (even though before he was a tweaker he was a junkie w/ me) and he is convinced that I'M the fucked up one for being on bupe maintenance and psych meds and doing no kind of illicit drugs anymore, because obviously bupe and antidepressants totally fuck you up all over and are just a "doctor high" and if you do anything but meth (yes including even an SSRI) you're a fuckass worthless addict because meth is the only drug in the world w/ legitimate "therapeutic qualities" for all it's users. man I wish I caught a buzz off what I take and I wish he wasn't so crazy!
sorry this turned into a big long rant ...this man frustrates me so much that once I get bitching about his situation it's hard to stop.
anyway I'm not a personal fan of meth not only because I think opiates feel better, but because I've watched it turn someone I love into a hateful and completely psychotic fiend living on the streets w/ nothing of value to call his name when he should be doing something remarkable w/ his life. =/

it's different strokes for different folks though, I think everyone reacts differently to different drugs and usually the drug you end up calling your DOC will be the one that feels best to you and you get the most effect out of. like one person could find a drug to be of no recreational value whatsoever and the next person could think it was the best thing in the world and be a complete fiend for it. every drug user's brain is different but our basic nature is the same when it comes down to it.

Obviously it's possible.

Sure if you really like it and have an addictive personality it's very easy to get hooked, but it's not like they tell you in the media "the first time you try it you're automatically addicted for life!" I mean come on that's just plain silly.

I myself was addicted to opiates for several years (clean now though), the last few years I was using got a little out of hand once I started doing heroin, but I know plenty of people who have only done it once or twice. Not nearly as many people as the ones I know who got very addicted, but yeah man there are people who tried it once and didn't like it. Or there are some that realized they liked it too much and were smart enough to stay away before getting hooked. Some people have better willpower than others