• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do you think it's possible to just try heroin once?

InhaleDeep

Bluelighter
Do you know anyone who has only ever tried heroin once? Do you think it's even possible or is the initial high of heroin just too good to not give in and do it again? Come to think of it, everyone I've ever known who wanted to try it "just once" ended up addicted. So it got me thinking, would be glad to get some opinion from people who've done H before (I haven't, don't trust myself enough). Also sorry if this topic doesn't belong here, I'm not sure where to put it.

I'd say it's pretty damn hard to do that (to take it once, and not again). Even if you aren't blown away by the way it makes you feel (though, chances are if you like other opiates, you'd like H), you'll at LEAST have the following inner dialogue: "This is something I can probably do sparingly. It's nothing I'd develop a problem with. I can probably control this one... if I stick to sniffing".

I BRIEFLY (came to my senses pretty damn quick) thought that - but that was directly followed by the false belief (knowing it was bullshit) that I was saving money and being 'smarter' by switching from buying Dilaudid to buying H (along with my oxy script).

I would never suggest one try this, if they aren't already an opiate addict. Even so, I'm not sure that I'd suggest to anyone 'hey yeah, try some H one time.' This is because, no - it's not something that's easy to use and forget about.

I'm not sure how well worded this was... I just did a few bags (and then some). :|

It depends on a few things. Namely your personality, financial situation, ability to procure said heroin, and your ROA.

I use heroin occasionally, and i've never been through withdrawals. Chances are though, if I had a regular dealer and more money, I would be on it a lot more often. I also never IVd, which probably helped.

But even then, the temptation is basically with you forever. You may not have the physical addiction, but you're always going to have that experience to compare stuff too. I ain't used opiates for 3 months now and I still often find myself thinking 'damn, I wish I had some heroin right now'.

there is just too much potential to "mess up" your life. heroin is cheaper, more plentiful and powerful compared to other opiates. a gram bag would last a naive user for weeks, just enough to get them hooked. just enough for the dealer to reel you in and make so much profit off those users.

opiates in general are not good to fool around with. i myself am a recovering opiate-abuser, but luckily i was able to wake up and realize what was going on before it was too late. i had the mentality every user had, "just once, and then i'm done," and, "hehe i will never become an addict, i am too good for that." trust me man, heroin and other opiates are a different story than other drugs. the first couple weeks of using, you feel better than ever before, but after a while, you wind up broke and homeless. you lose all/most of your friends and family members; you literally live for heroin. is that what you want your life to be like?

i propose that you think long and hard about this decision man. think how heroin will affect you in years to come; don't just think of "here and now.."

I've heard of a few people doing it just once, but these people are users of other opiates on a more regular basis.

I'd say its possible, but don't bet your life on it. Heroin is pretty damn addictive, no way around it.

I've heard of a few people doing it just once, but these people are users of other opiates on a more regular basis.
I'd say its possible, but don't bet your life on it. Heroin is pretty damn addictive, no way around it.

Exactly, sure it's possible to do it once, never again. It's just not typical. I don't' know anyone who has done it once, and that was that. As nAON said, there are many variables - it's highly dependent on the individual.

But even then, the temptation is basically with you forever. You may not have the physical addiction, but you're always going to have that experience to compare stuff too. I ain't used opiates for 3 months now and I still often find myself thinking 'damn, I wish I had some heroin right now'.

That's exactly why I while I'm extremely tempted to try it, I think because of my personality just one experience might make me miserable for the rest of my life. I mean, after doing "only" meph for the first time, I recall thinking "shit, why did I do this? Before trying I never knew how good it's possible to feel, how happy you can be... How will i ever be content with sober & normal life now that i realize how much i'm missing?"

seems you have already tainted your sobriety. if you think going without meph is hard, you will surely succumb to opiates/heroin. opiates are more vindictive and seductive than any other drug...

Of course it is possible but as everyone said, it is unlikely - it's not like all the heroin addicts intended to end up addicted..

I'd be very wary of assuming you will be fine because you could take or leave meph - everyone has their drug of choice, yours might be heroin but you don't know it yet. Have a good read of Other Drugs and The Dark Side forums and be realistic about it. The thing with heroin is it's the perfect drug for when things are hard, as it removes all the pain and sharp edges from life.. so even if you only use occasionally, it's something people readily turn to when things aren't going well and that's when addiction becomes a lot more likely, at a time when you are least able to control it.

Sure, you can look back in retrospect and go 'how did I never know this feeling exists'.

But stims and opis are very different. It's not an enlightening experience. It doesn't make you social and amazing and happy. It just makes you feel.. good. In not a particularly outstanding way. And a side effect of this is that you'll compare all your other 'good' experiences to it, and nothing will compare. Your body won't be able to handle itself on endorphins alone anymore. It's got a taste of the good stuff and now it's going to spend the rest of your life reminding you of it.

As addictive as they are, opioids are not some sort of mentally crippling drug - it's the lifestyle that you fall into that cripples you. Opioids themselves are fairly benign and if you know what you're doing kicking is a breeze. The problem is when you don't have the luxury of time, drugs, or money, and you end up running yourself off a cliff with a 80mg a day oxyccodone habit.

And like the poster above me said, it's possible, but it's not very likely. People succumb to stresses easily IME, and that means that most peopel will go for heroin if they've done it before and like the experience when they get stressed out.

I did it just once. Snorted like $30 (which is a lot of pure heroin, with me having 0 tolerance to opiates) in a 4 dollar room by myself in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I literally thought I was overdosing and going to die.

I am not a naive drug user, although I usually stick to Rx/alcohol, but I had a goodbye letter scribbled down and everything. I stayed awake through the hell that too much heroin was, and vowed never to go there again. I was on a really high amount of benzos at the time (legal and otc in Cambodge), and my judgement was so off. The things I did that week in-between different adventures, I am surprised I am still here to type about it. So yes, it can be done, but it might be a different story if your first time was more pleasurable.

I was a very very long time and heavy opiate user. I have used it all. I was able to do it just twice. But note this. I really don't like to nod. I took them for real pain. I took them to get shit done. Sure I did a lot for along time but I had a tolerances. So when I took it ya it was so fucking good so amazing. But it also knocked me out 8 hours and made me out of it for a day and after I had WD right after. After the two exp I didn't want it. Not my cup of tea.

If you got no tolerance and you don't got exp don't try. I think everyone would like herion if they tried. Its a nasty drug. Why play with fire?
I was looking for a cheaper better drug to get me though the day not just a high. Most people want the high. Get what I mean? Its a great high. Be careful.

I did it once, just got a little and did it through out the day, never really got too fucked up but was noddin
next day I really wanted to try some more... like really fuckin bad

and knowing my past I told myself that Im not doing that shit again, and I could have gotten a shit load of it for free pretty much... but I still havent done it yet!

It verys upon each different person. I am one of those people who can buy a small bag and do it through the day then not do it for months. Then I will do it again maybe in a few months maybe half a year and repeat. I have been doing this for quite years. It solely varies on the person and only yourself can properly make this decision. Only yourself really knows how much will power you have as well as how opt you are to getting addicted to different drugs you have tried in the past. This may help you gauge wether this is possible for yourself. But be advised that it is a highly addictive substance, and the majority of people are not able to sustain from H trying it once. It can be one of those things you instantly fall in love with. B careful and have fun and just think it out and make a educated, thought out decision.

Last edited:
I'm more of a chronic pain patient who's been on and off opiates for a while for legit reasons (which is now a PITA, see my latest thread for my rant)..... but ill but my 0.02cents in.

NO. Not unless you have a strong, and I mean strong character. First time I was on oxy when I became very ill I was shocked that pain relief on the entire spectrum of the mind and body was possible. I only took 7.5mg of Roxi too...it was insane..being in pain for so long I had gotten "used to it" and with one pill all that pain vanished like magic and was replaced with happiness and euphoria (but not obvious like those stupid teens who break a bone and get some shitty Lortab 5's and are "high"). The same day I woke up screaming in pain (yes literally) and by God no one heard. I ran to my desk threw open the oxy 10's and crushed one upped and snorted it without hesitation and within 15minutes, I literally felt like I was having an orgasim for 2 hours straight.

I then realized why the bottle said "Controlled Substance, May be habit forming" LOL. Anyways I quickly realized that 7.5 and 10mg of oxy was becoming more "blasé" and not enough for that oh so wonderful opiate virgin fuck I experience for the first time and decided banging OC 80's off the street and wasting money was the worst idea for me at least.

I do crave the opiate high but as I have legitimate pain you will not catch me taking more than I need EVER since if I burn through the whole script so soon...I will seriously suffer later on...not to mention tolerance could kill what I actually need it for, plus nodding out on oxy, H, dones, whatever you like may feel good but I am the type of person who needs to get shit done 24/7 365 stat so nodding is not something I will ever purposely induce..in fact the ER doc had me on 15mg 4x a day and since I was only on 5mg vics 2x a day I was like lol ok, but I was sitting in math class on 15mg of oxy with a pretty low tolerance and the nod was like sex but I just couldn't focused so I was honest when it came time to get more and told my doc I didn't need to take that much...So overall I do not see me becoming an addict my self..but after one taste of the chemical that has brought even the strongest to their knees I can say there will not be a point where I will ever conclude I will "Only do it once" pain or no pain. Its one of lifes pleasures no doubt. I hate comparing opioids to alcohol or benzos but yeah, not everyone will become addicted.

Sure it's possible to try heroin just once. I've known people to try heroin just once and then never touch it again; and those who do pick it up again may not be addicts necessarily.

I'll never understand this wacky sort of benchmark we apply to heroin where once you try it a second time, you're an addict. How ridiculous is that? I mean, consider this: If you give your friend his first line of dope, and he likes it, and he wants to give it another try at some later date, then is he an addict? Is it a habit? Is it already a problem? Is he addicted, playing with fire, well on his way to becoming a junkie?

OK, so then if you give your friend his first drink of alcohol and he likes it, and he wants to go out for drinks next week... alcoholic? Why not?

I guess that my point is this: Why is heroin and heroin addiction so vastly different from alcohol and alcoholism? I took my first drink, and I wasn't sure where it would take me. I could have become a full-blown alcoholic, and I could have become a weekend, bar-hopper or club-goer. I could have hated it, thrown up, and lost all interest in it completely. It could have gone a million different ways, but I took that first drink and I found a place for alcohol in my life away and apart from the other, more important things in life (work, family, etc.) Do I drink? Yes. How often? On average, maybe once or twice a week. Do I drink more on occasion, from time to time? Sure, sometimes I drink more heavily than other times. Other times, I don't drink at all. Am I an alcoholic? I don't think so, no.

I tried heroin for the first time, and, like alcohol, an infinite number of outcomes were possible. I could have hated it, thrown up, and never tried it again. I could have fallen head-over-heels in love with it and become a total purse-snatching junkie. Instead, I liked it, and I found a place for it in my life. Do I blow dope? Yes. How often? A few times a week. Do I blow more dope on occasion than other times? Sure, sometimes I do more dope and sometimes I do less dope. Am I an addict? Honestly? No, I don't think so.

And then, of course, others will retort, "Give it time!" But why, and how? How is it that using heroin will undoubtedly turn into some out-of-control, full-blown addiction 100% of the time, and yet drinking alcohol occasionally can be pretty well maintained for one's lifetime? It will never make any sense to me...

dr x said its possible just dont probable its addiciton possilites is over rated. ive tired oxys every now & than & never fell into an addiction.
i smoked some h today (ive only had it a few times & have never felt the neeed to go out & get more after ive taken it. it really isnt that great. its when ya shooting it that it becomones more probable.
everyones different. i had som valium today.
ive had it under control with valium for a long time.
i find cigarettes more addictive.
be careful if ya the kind of person that ges addicted to drinking as well or if ya the sort of perso that is going through a stressful time & ya wanna forget about ya probems..

as for me i can handle benzos & opiaetes. i beleive the whole try once & ya hooked is absoulete rubbing

& dont see how ppl ca get addcicted to meth either. every time i try it. i cant sleep the hole night & it actually outs me off taking it again for all the side effects it has like constanly wanting to drink water & how ya gind ya teeth.

if i had an unlited stash of h or benzos i could see myseld having a bigger problem with benzos.

Last edited: