• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do you feel like you no longer need psychedelics?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hello,

I've been thinking a bit lately about my relationship to psychedelic drugs...I've tripped a good bit in my time, sprinkled out over many years...sometimes tripping up to 2-3 times a week for stretches...then other times not tripping for a month or more...and I even took a 4 year break once. Just didn't feel right.

Now lately I have not tripped for over 2 months probably...the opportunity has been there...I just haven't....pounced on it. And then the opportunity passes and I am back under work responsibilities. I took a very small amount of DMT a few weeks ago and it had a nice effect on my mood and the day was just one of those golden days in my memory. But no full-on tripping lately for me.

I feel lately that I may have moved past the need for psychedelic drugs...originally when I started I felt like I had something to 'prove' to myself with them...I felt almost frenetic about their use...I was excited, I guess! :)

Now, I think of myself as more reserved with them...they are powerful medicine...should be used wisely...should not necessarily be recommended to friends at the drop of a dime...

Have you ever felt this way about psychedelics? That you have moved past them? Or sideways across them to another place haha (I dont want this to come off as if I think I am so superior that I no longer need them...thats not exactly what I'm trying to get across).

I think now that my 5HT2a receptors are very precious...their activation is part of what makes reality such a fascinating place...by bombarding them with serotonergic psychedelics I am possibly depriving myself of long-term long-lasting happiness...

I now want my activation of 5HT2a to come about from camping trips in remote wilderness or impressive stunning art or love with another human...I don't particularly want it to come on a piece of paper in the form of LSD.

apologies if this comes off as journal material...my intention is to hear from others about their own personal thoughts about this...and perhaps glean some insights from your own path and discoveries.

<3

I think your situation is fairly common. There are many things psychedelics can help you with, but hopefully you only need them to point to it so much before you get it. They're pointing to the moon, why would you keep staring at their finger?

To use is 1 thing, but to NEED to use is another. I really don't think anything you need to do is a good thing, trust me I been down that path it aint a good one :(.

I've had similar thoughts in the past G_P, but I know I still have much to learn from psychedelics. I used to want to trip every week, sometimes multiple times per week, but a very powerful and important trip taught me something.
I'm no longer in such a hurry to use any drugs, psychedelics included. There are many psychedelics I still hope to try but I know our paths will cross eventually and I look forward to that day but I no longer feel the need to try and make that day come any faster.
Now, I often find myself looking into the future and dreaming about those days and how wonderful they'll be.
Psychedelics are indeed a powerful tool and I have so much respect for them. I feel truly blessed that I'm able to use them the way I do. <3

Last edited:
I get this feeling periodically, usually during prolonged periods of deep contentment with myself and life in general. But as that contentment seldom lasts for too long, neither does this feeling and I once again find myself in a position where I would appreciate the expanded perspective that psychedelics can offer in regards to my own personal issues, given the appropriate environment and intentions.

Anyway, keep up what you're doing now if you're satisfied with that. But also be open to the idea that you might find a use for psychedelics again someday. Perhaps you've had your fill for a while, and being able to recognize that and act upon it could be a critical juncture in your personal growth.

Good luck. :)<3

I think now that my 5HT2a receptors are very precious...their activation is part of what makes reality such a fascinating place...by bombarding them with serotonergic psychedelics I am possibly depriving myself of long-term long-lasting happiness...

I now want my activation of 5HT2a to come about from camping trips in remote wilderness or impressive stunning art or love with another human...I don't particularly want it to come on a piece of paper in the form of LSD.

I hear ye. I am exactly there. have been for a while, and the more I have been using the more my nerves have been wearing thin. and now I am at a place where I just know I cannot use them much any more at all without detrimental effects. I wouldn't wanna miss out on them completely, but the times where I'd choose to trip on a nothing-else-to-do day are definitely over. I keep them for very special occasions, to be used in quality company. I find that if I trip in good company, it all goes so much better than when I am alone .

And yes, the wilderness, the art, and the love... all these in and of themselves ought to be enough. It is almost pathetic how sometimes I see a great performance and think to myself "Damn, I ought to see this tripping!" . . . rather than intensifying my experience, even psychedelics have become a shield, of sorts... in a weird way, despite sort of temporarily "un-dulling" my mind, they are really not enhancers of self for me any more, at this time. make me scattered rather than focused, and hardly ever bring me new insights any more - just the repeated understanding - translated from body load into emotions and thoughts - that I still have a lot of anxiety about life and a sometimes crippling distrust toward the ways of the world as run by capitalism and a survival-of-the-fittest dog-eat-dog society where it's only one's purchasing power that gives peaceful feelings. Like, it's easy to be a Buddha if you have money in the bank, and whilst it is good to love everyone, it's also wise to trust no one. And that is nasty, and while psychedelics have shown me repeatedly how the materialist-mechanistic doctrine I was brought up with is irrelevant to what really matters, I seem unable to shake off those shackles of mind-control completely and I get caught up in my own selfishness and greed and fear, over and over.

I will probably keep using, but only to re-mind myself of this once in a (longish) while. The work will have to be done another way, sober, through daily life, actions . . . I did 2cb-fly yesterday... and ended up cleaning and tidying the flat while on it, as if it were a stimulant, all the while thinking about all the objects I would touch whilst doing my work . . . not much insight, just restlessness, scatteredness. Just the confirmation that in the West, our spirits are choking on or drowning in all the material goods and diversions we have . . . I remember watching "Into the Wild" a few months ago and how emotional I felt then ... www.storyofstuff.com

I get the feeling occasionally. I doubt that I will ever stop tripping entirely though, we have a pact with psychedelics: I treat them with respect and they let me enjoy them. =D

Ps. I hope I'll get to do a thumbprint before I die.

I think many people read too much into the psychedelic experience. While tripping can be great, it isn't everything. Psychedelics allow you to step outside the box and see things from a different view..not necessarily one of absolute truth or spiritual enlightenment (altho a lot of times it feels that way..but let's say someone thinks they are Jesus Christ..this is merely an intoxicated delusion). The experience is often very much like a lucid dream where many seemingly profound (trippy) things are happening, but they actually are not. Just as in dreams and meditation, one can learn things. Sometimes you don't learn anything and it's just fun..and that's cool too. I guess what I'm saying is..it isn't all about tripping out and it isn't always about learning..it just is what it is. A lot of it is how you make it.

I've done shrooms once and acid around 60 times. Out of those 60 trips I've had one that was more than just fun. There was so much beauty around me I felt like I had become one with everything..then I died and was reborn. It's certainly an experience that has changed my life and I recall everyday. Still, I know that chemicals are responsible for the change in perception and the reason I experience flashbacks on other drugs. Like anything else, no drug is a cure-all..some people react horribly to them and others positively. I consider myself fortunate to have only had positive reactions to everything I have taken (always have cool flashbacks, never bad ones).

No one NEEDS to take psychedelics. They choose it.

Still, I know that chemicals are responsible for the change in perception and the reason I experience flashbacks on other drugs.

No they're not.
Your mind is responsible. The chemical, D-n,n-diethyl-lysergamide, is just a key that fits in the lock in your brain and opens the door to the room where the psychedelia lives. In your brain.

No they're not.
Your mind is responsible. The chemical, D-n,n-diethyl-lysergamide, is just a key that fits in the lock in your brain and opens the door to the room where the psychedelia lives. In your brain.

no, your mind is just reacting/adjusting to what you give it. 8)

They're just tools: You don't always need to use them, but some jobs can get done alot easier with them.

One really mind-blowing trip on LSD did most of what psychedelics will probably ever do for me, in the long term.

In the short term, psychedelic drugs never fail to give me a zest for life and euphoria that cannot be reproduced in sobriety - thus I continue to take them. :D

no, your mind is just reacting/adjusting to what you give it.

Think on how pearls are born. The acid is like a grain of sand that gets inside the clam that is your mind. Your mind uses your thoughts as the mother-of-pearl to construct the pearl, which is the trip.

Yes and no...

There are still psychedelics I wish to experience, like mescaline or dpt.

On the other hand, I have gone through the gamut of common hallucinogens and feel like I've seen of the character of each substance I've tried and experienced most of their potentials. Different trips have taught me about who I am, where my subconscious associations come from, and why I feel the way I do about many things in life (including but not limited to politics, health, relationships with others, etc.). It is unlikely that I can really "learn" any more insights from psychedelics that aren't possible to come about sober. That said, I also believe that there is a recreational component in psychedelics, which is the main reason why I guess I started using them. That recreation, once immense, has gone down since much of what I experience during a trip is anticipated, expected, unfulfilling. A truly stellar trip comes from set and setting, close to 100% of the time. So while I do not plan to trip again for a very long time, I acknowledge that psychedelics (for me basically just LSD & DMT) have a correct time and place.

There were been certain ups and downs in my experimentation period and while I could have gone about things in a better way, I don't hold regrets. It's just that I am no longer interested in watching the walls breathe more and more each weekend.

Think on how pearls are born. The acid is like a grain of sand that gets inside the clam that is your mind. Your mind uses your thoughts as the mother-of-pearl to construct the pearl, which is the trip.

The grain of sand is still causing the experience. Your mind isn't causing anything. It is just like a computer that processes what it's given. Certain areas of the brain become more active (or open) on drugs. When you see things appear to move or wave, for example, all that is is an overstimulation of motion-sensitive neurons in your brain. It is a common effect of LSD.

Huxely called the psychedelic experience a gratuitous grace, neither necessary nor sufficient for salvation. I think that's very true. They're a peek at grace. I don't think I need them. But I am not done with them. Just last week I saw STS9 on a low dose of mushrooms, and just being there in the lights and music, smiling, dancing, it was a gratuitous grace. I have my yoga practice to get my head and heart right, and my psychedelic experiences incorporate into that to do some heavy shake ups now and then. They're also just fun.

I admire you for knowing when you've graduated. Good luck and godspeed :)

Last edited:
^ I agree with your last point...that psychedelics are just plain fun sometimes...if I use psychedelics in the near future (like year or so) then it will probably be because I have some spare time and want to do it just for fun...

sometimes in the past those trips have turned into really important/profound ones! (unexpectedly!)

cheers for the thoughts friends...

thanks ximot for the extended thoughts...they ring true with me and I understand (partially at least!?) your path <3