• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters
chicpoena said:
In the same way that I think of cannabis as psychedelic.

Good (real) mdma + primo herb = for sure a mild psychedelic. Get the peaks together with a fairly high dose, and you WILL think it's a psych. =D

5-HT2 said:
Agreed. A true hallucination consists of seeing something that is not really there, not merely visual distortions.

I think so as well, I have seen geometric patterns of light come out of the mouth of my best friend while he was talking while were were in the middle of a single good tab of real mdma, plus 3g of cubes. Definitely, that is a hallucination. Warping, flowing, etc., that is a visual distortion, and plain mdma will definitely give me that.

Both mdma and mushrooms are indeed, psychedelics, but in a different (and far more intense) way.

having actually taken acid before mdma (on seperate occasions) - NO. but I consider the drug border line if amphetamines and hallucinogens lived next door to each other. Yeah theres the lovely dovey everything is alright sensation real or not but then theres the very much amphetamine feeling which people who are out to cause trouble seem discount when picking on someone whos taken an e which can snap you depending on the situation.

MDA however is a differant story.

maybe in high doses (which i havnt done) a psychedelic side comes out, but in normal doses i wouldnt consider it psychedellic.

but i guess the people who say that weed is psychedelic would say that mdma is too.

Nope, not psychedelic for me. It just doesnt compare to the mind bending(or expansion which ever way you wanna look at it) of LSD, mushrooms or the other psychedelics ive done. It doesnt even come close.

IMO E is an entactogen and a strong euphoriant. I have never been truely enlightened or spiritually awoken from E, true psychedelics will crack your brain open and let the amazing thoughts flow, most of the time on E all I can think about is how good I feel and I want to dance or there is just nothing going through my head at all. Im pretty over MDMA but I dont think I could ever get sick of psychedelics, namely LSD.

fallen toker said:
maybe in high doses (which i havnt done) a psychedelic side comes out, but in normal doses i wouldnt consider it psychedellic.

I would agree :).

Low doses are buzzy and fun, but high(ish) doses of good MDMA are quite different, I find. Very relaxing - sedating, almost - and I just lie back and retreat into a lil inner dreamscape. Tis nice :).

Is the definition of psychedelic that you get visuals, or does it require that certain type of mindfuck as well?

Because many 2c:s are IME all visual and nothing else... still they are classified as psychedelics.

MDMA, and meth as well for that matter, can give you visuals... I remember trying to read something on MDMA and the same text being something else every time I look at it.

So how do you define psychedelic?

This is an interesting question & I voted for yes. But there again any such effects are mild - I mean it's no mushies, acid, 2c-(t)-? etc is it? Also I have known that my pills were MDA & had all kinds of silliness going on - people suddenly sitting down & playing the (visible) organ, turning in vases, teleportation and so on. To these degrees no, but there again I've had white molly, brown molly and low and high dose ecstasy pills all do far more for me in terms of introspective, mental/emotional healing than acid or shrooms ever did (which is a lot). How can I not consider something so healing "psychedelic?"

I think a lot of people in the "yes, I consider MDMA psychedelic" camp are actually in the "I consider MDMA awesome and healing" camp.

Again, it's all about the semantics, but just because something is deeply healing (and I know what you're talking about) doesn't mean it's psychedelic. If psychedelic meant opening or manifesting the mind, whatever MDMA is opening or manifesting the heart. Mescaline has a similar heart-opening component. What do we call it? It's not necessarily *psyche* delic. Perhaps cardiodelic? Naw, too medical. I dunno.

from my personal experiences, i've only felt phychedlic attributes when mixing with cannabis. the drug itself however is just a pure empathogenic buzz.

Nope nothing like a psychedelic drug. The reason why u mite see things on it is because ur vision is fuked up and blurry. When my pupils are massive i cant see alot of things.

Not really. MDMA has some minor psychedelic effects, but I've never taken it just for these effects. I think of it more as an empathogen/entactogen and a stimulant.

I didn't vote.
Because the answer is both.
Yes because it is structurally similar to some psychs but no because, while yes you can have visuals on the drug, the average experience with the drug really cannot be classified into any particular class of drug IMO. It deserves its own class.

i never get visuals off a normal dose of mdma (150-250mg) but the way it makes me feel is very psychedelic.

the first time i took mdma i had only ever had mushrooms before and when i came up i was convinced that it was a mushroom high, it was so hard to tell the difference back then

Its the psychedelic without a challenge.....so I guess its still a psychedelic.

I voted no, but it does have some psychedelic properties.I am just comparing it to LSD,mescaline and shrooms...compared to those chems it is nothing like them ,but it has some psycedelic aspects.There should be a third option of C) some or whatever because it is not a true psycedelic,but more like a hybrid - half pyscedelic / half stimualnt...

I used to think psychedelia meant that your 5ht or NMDA receptors were in a swarm, but that is just sometimes and often a part of psychedelia.

I completely understand that causation does not always equate to correlation now and can tell that MDMA (it does hit 5ht2 decently if I remember!) and cannabinoids along with many others are quite psychedelic in their own shade.

it was my understanding that psychedelics are divided up into two separate categories: serotonin agonists and serotonin releasers, mdma falling under the latter.