• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters
it was my understanding that psychedelics are divided up into two separate categories: serotonin agonists and serotonin releasers, mdma falling under the latter.

If I remember correctly from ADD and from subjective high dose experiences, it is a strong serotonin releasers along with DA and NE I think, but it is also a moderate 5ht2a agonist, which I found more obvious at higher doses.

I have realized that psychedelics are all one paradoxial manifestation of the same thing, but people group them into all kinds of things...including seperating psychedelics and dissociatives from both containing the word psychedelia in the name and meaning. I have found they are a more clear yin and yang system of psychedelia with dissociatives tending to be more obvious in thought while psychedelics are much more obvious on the other senses at relative doses, but both have provided me visuals and sensory experiences along with a massive change in conciousness.

Jamshyd, excellent way of putting things. I disagree on a few points though...

I was right there with you until you started calling Ketamine and Cannabis non-psychedelic. In my eyes there is one big point that makes a psychedelic; experiencing both the highs and lows. On every traditional psych, you hit those brutal lows that just obliterate you and your ego. In my opinion this is the psychedelic journey, and otherwise it is what a lot of people so far have said, it's just "cheating".

MDMA is only the highs. You see the beauty in everything, you love everyone, and you think the world is full of good and greatness. This is so far from the truth, that I can't classify it as a psychedelic. I need to see this, and see how incredibly ugly, and scary everything is at the same time. In this respect, I wouldn't even call MDA a psychedelic. It is weird, but you always have a shit eating grin on your face telling you it's all alright. I do have about .35 of incredible MDA sitting around still, so I will do another trial in a little bit, I have just been so hesitant because it doesn't really feel like a psychedelic journey.

I voted yes because I think it is a psychedelic, but a really unfair one. It is a psychedelic for the weary and scared, or just to have a fun time on in my opinion. You get psychedelic visuals and a mindfuck at times, but that is the least of a journey such as mushrooms, or acid.

I kind of want to start this thread, but about Ketamine now that Jamshyd claimed he didn't think of it as a psychedelic...you guys can close it if there is already one.

iin my experience with mdma, the only way i would consider it a psychedelic is when you keep redosing to the 400mg+ range then it becomes more psychedelic in a way but barely ive only seen purple on my ceiling rippling a little but then i snapped out of it more of a trance .

It certainly has opened my mind in ways that were beyond "drug effects" had full long hallucinatory trips after the first part of a roll, sketchy trips but very cool none the less... learned alot !

Def messes with your eyes, looking at wallpaper and stuff with patterns can move about alot.

I've actually thought about this a lot. Technically MDMA is an amphetamine but because its sooo different from other amphetamines/stimulants and because of the profound experience it brings and the healing, etc I definitely group it with psychedelics, though I know that's technically not really accurate.

I think it is a psychedelic, but a really unfair one.

Unfair? Try relatively unrealistic to learn everything you need from. This is why extremists that fall under the "e-tard" trend are going to suffer much more long term damage than a binge tripper.

I would say MDMA/MDA does a lesson about letting you experience "the good shit" of life, it goes well with the human brain for temporary bliss in the name of whatever. Pretend that there is not any bad shit in life, MDMA or not, and we can end it by calling you a possible Christian.

I kind of want to start this thread, but about Ketamine now that Jamshyd claimed he didn't think of it as a psychedelic...you guys can close it if there is already one.

Ketamine is def one of the most psychadelic drugs i've ever used... i used to sometimes use up to 3.5-4 grams in a night... and the journeys, visions, hallucinations, the K-hole... all qualify it as extremely psychadelic in my books... a dissossiative psychadelic

i voted no also as it not a true Psychedelic imo, still my number one substance ever though:)

at high doses it does produce visuals, distortions in coulours...

i get that bonging quality bud

Last edited:
MDMA isn't a psychedelic

It's therapeutic and can be life changing or profound.... But if you thought it was psychedelic then either you took lots of MDMA(so some get converted into MDA) or your pills/poweder had MDA in it which feels alittle speedier/psychedelic.

MDMA can enhance colors, sensory and stuff but so can kratom, amphetamines, ect. and they aren't considered psychedelic.

MDMA isn't anything like LSD or mushrooms in higher doses = P

From Wikipedia(please don't get mad at me I was lazy and I have to work in a few minutes): "The term psychedelic is derived from the Greek words ψυχή (psyche, "soul") and δηλοῦν (deloun, "to manifest"), translating to "mind-manifesting". A psychedelic experience is characterized by the perception of aspects of one's mind previously unknown, or by the creative exuberance of the mind liberated from its ostensibly ordinary fetters. Psychedelic states are an array of experiences elicited by various techniques, including sensory stimulation, sensory deprivation as well as by psychedelic substances. Such experiences include hallucinations, changes of perception, synesthesia, altered states of awareness, mystical states, and occasionally states resembling psychosis."

To me the MDMA experience doesn't quite fit in to this catagory. I've never had any profound realizations on MDMA. Perhaps a bit of empathy, but other than that I was too busy feeling good. However, the MDMA experience itself to me does possess a profound "fakeness". It changes who you are for a few hours, but not for the rest of your life like classic psychedelics can.

It does have some visual intensity to it but not quite in the way of classic psychedelics. The visuals don't really go anywhere interesting. When I take MDMA I feel like my brain is a computer that is glitching out; like the molecule does not belong there. When I take classic psychedelics such as LSD, 2C-E, or mushrooms, it feels more like the molecule belongs in that receptor. I also find that MDMA is simply not deep enough to be considered a full blown psychedelic.

Perhaps it should be considered a "Psycholytic drug". Or mild psychedelic?

$0.02

P.s. I've never taken MDA.

my vote is yes. ive had pretty strong visuals on high doses which for me have a charecter all of there own compared to other compounds. also the effects on the mind i think could be described as pychedelic at high doses.

the trouble is the side effects at the level that it gets pychedelic enough to be a marked effect are pretty hard on the body an mind so it can be a rough ride.

"MDMA, it was beginning to be apparent, could be all things to all people."
-Alexander Shulgin
(Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story)

i definitely consider it a pychedelic

nothing like acid/shrooms

but street lights/glowsticks on mdma are trippier then most other drugs

waving a glowstick in front of my face.. i see patterns and colors moving inside the light. so i consider it a pychadelic for sure.

Psychedelic literally means "mind manifesting".

I've seen this trait in MDMA, so in my opinion, yep it's a psychedelic.

Yes.

It can allow people to dig deep inside their own minds. Therefor it is a psychedelic.

Everyone is entitled to their own definition though