• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters

psycosynthesis

Bluelighter
Okay.

Basically I am having a discussion on another forum about whether or not MDMA can be classified as a psychedelic drug. I'm arguing that while it is not inherently psychedelic, it does posses psychedelic attributes. Any feedback? (Would elaborate on my argument but I am bone-tired).

would say it does have some psychedelic effect, but its very mild, so yeah i would consider it a mild psychedelic.

It is a psychedelic, but I dont think it's actually psychedelic... does that make sense?

yes, a high enough dose puts me in a trance where i can't talk to anyone. All I do is close my eyes and experience the most sharp & clear visuals I have had on any psychedelic, they all tend to involve rotating 2D jigsaws that feature colours in the blue / green area of the light spectrum.

MDA most definitely is psychedelic, and the psychedelic effects from MDMA are usually (at least, this is what I've heard) from high dosing and subsequent metabolisis of some fraction into an active quantity of MDA.

So direct cerebral administration of MDMA may not result in psychedelia, and as such MDMA may not be a psychedelic in and of itself (and interestingly I may have read of a study done on rats in which intracerebral administration of MDMA did not result in any neurotoxicity). But yes, the fact that one of its metabolites is psychedelic should qualify as a psychedelic attribute.

Depends on your definition of psychedelic. If your definition of psychedelic is a change in the way you perceive the world, then I guess yeah, it is. I don't really think of it as a psychedelic though, although I guess technically I'd classify it as one. I find that it boosts the ego rather than reduces it. But hey, I don't like MDMA, so I'm biased.

I call it an entactogen, it puts you in touch with your personal identity, allowing insights into relationships you have to other people and to the world in general. It does have mild psychedelic effects, though (after all it does have an affinity for the HT2a receptor, the same site that psilocybin and LSD bind to).

Naaah not really - I'd go with entactogen/empathogen as well.

Psychedelic comes from the Greek meaning mind revealing, so by that definition it's hard to not classsify it as a psychedelic. It also means that psychedelic stretches to cover cannabinoids, salvia and dissociatives.

The only defined separation between MDMA & other serotonogic psychedelics is to question whether it's a significant 5HT2a agonist

i would classify it as strong entactogen, strong euphoriant and very weak psychedelic. the real psychedelia usually happens on MDA or very high doses of MDMA (due to it getting metabolised to MDA).

i consider it a psychedelic, although the visuals arn't intense the revelations are extrememly intense, some of the best i have ever had apart from mushrooms.

MDMA ha some tiny psychedelic effect but every people taking MDMA use it for its empathogenic qualities not as psychedelic. So I deduct that it is NOT a psychedelic.

DOHP said:
yes, a high enough dose puts me in a trance where i can't talk to anyone. All I do is close my eyes and experience the most sharp & clear visuals I have had on any psychedelic, they all tend to involve rotating 2D jigsaws that feature colours in the blue / green area of the light spectrum.

I get blue and green lazers and shit... odd, and a friend of mine reported blue/green visuals too.

I've never experienced any "real" psychedelic effects, even at higher doses but it changes my perception of how i feel and look at things so in its own right it is a psychedelic but a very atypical one