• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters
I have taken 250mg of pure mdma and smoked a lot of weed and that was definitely very psychedelic. But I'd rather take MDMA to roll not trip. The trip is an uncomfortable one at best. Acid and shrooms are for tripping, X for rolling...

It does have some psychedelic effect when dosed high, but i don`t consider it as psychedelic, because it`s mainly empathogen / entactogen for me.

It does have some psychedelic effect when dosed high, but i don`t consider it as psychedelic, because it`s mainly empathogen / entactogen for me.

Although the poll is "Is MDMA psychedelic?". So even though you call it a empathogen, you admit that it is psychedelic, just not A psychedelic ;)

I think it's a psychedelic. It opens the mind (in different ways than other psychs, but it still does), I have gotten mild visual distortions, and very psychedelic CEVs. It was even derived from mescaline. I consider it a psychedelic in the same way I don't consider ketamine a psychedelic. Yeah, ketamine has visuals (which are still distinguishable from real psychs), but what other psychedelic qualities does it have? None. MDMA has plenty; the first time I took it I said to myself (expecting way more of a stimulant) "wow this really is a pyschedelic, it's not just energy and euphoria, it's like intense psychedelic energy, emotions, and sensations."

Would've said no till new years when I got my first MDMA visuals, so now yes! Anything that induces visuals and alters your conciousness to such an extent is definately psychedelic in ma books.

Although the poll is "Is MDMA psychedelic?". So even though you call it a empathogen, you admit that it is psychedelic, just not A psychedelic ;)

That is basically how I feel about it. I kinda resent the idea that it would be black & white like this though, what is the point? It can be debated endlessly but at the end of the day MDMA is just MDMA.

How do you define psychedelic? If you use the original meaning (mind expansion), then clearly a YES.

But for many reasons, especially historical demonization of this class of drug, I'd say no....let's call it an empathogen.

First time rolling I did 450mg (seperated in 3 doses) of MDMA wich was said to be as pure as you can get it. And I smoked weed.
I got some intense visuals, my friend walking into the bathroom, although he was in the chair. The dealers face morphing with the PC background
I had tripped on mushrooms before, so the MDMA visuals didn't really scare me too much. I could also see a little bit of traces and colors were brighter.
I also saw shit that wasn't there, like a hat on the dealers head he didnt have.. I could tell I was hallucinating, but... Shit don't take too much people

they say it's because anything above 250mg - 300mg will make MDMA turn into MDA, wich has strong visuals

Is MDMA psychedelic? It opens up a new world and gives new perspective.. Like shrooms. But a shroom trip is like 1000 times more intense/mindblowing fucked up than any MDMA trip will be.
MDMA works completely differently than LSD/Shrooms/DMT.. but it still gives huge impact on your values in life : )

Last edited:
Too me it really is an empathogen with Hallucinations induced not psychedelic themed to me.
Thats really just my opinion but to me it is really Robust in nature not like I had a life changing moment that extended the realm of life.

I personally consider MDMA psychedelic,though not in the conventional sense of the term. No it doesnt give visual hallucinations nor the strange somewhat disorganized hallucinogenic thoughts that most things considered psychedelic give. However, it does provide the mental focus of amphetamines with the hallucinogenic thoughts but in a clear way,allowing them to be more organized and easy to express(along with "hallucinations" to touch and sound). A good example of the psychedelic properties of MDMA is its use to treat PTSD,allowing the user to talk about their trauma(lets face it,under the influence of most hallucinogens this can be rather difficult and make little sense at times).

Pariahprose

Does anyone else find it somewhat frustrating that so many consider 'psychedelic' synonymous with 'hallucinations? The meaning of the word has nothing to do with hallucinations. I'm not about to bang my head on a wall over it, but I really wish more people could discover the real origin of the term and come to respect that the psychedelics are far more than what the eyes reveal.