• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[DMT Subthread] First Time

Dmt is one of the best psychedelic experiences out there. Its so nice and kind. It can obviously be harsh but once you've acquired a real taste for dmt its hard to dislike the trip and fall into a tough space IMO(unless I smoke a massive dose).

Id not reccomend DMT as a first time psychedelic. Im glad I had a bunch of experiences with different psychedelics before I tried DMT. To me its one of the most powerfull psychedelics out there. Furthermore I think youd have to have some sort of past psychedelic experiences to appreciate the DMT experience. It comes on so fast and is so short acting that youll never know what hit you.

I know everyones different and so on. But Id reccomend starting with 2c-b, lsa or a mild dose mushrooms. These last a fair amount of time and comes on slow. Which gives you more time to explore the new world of psychedelia :)

New to DMT

Okay so first off, I know a little bit about DMT. I've never done it before until recently. So a connect of mine who recieves various types of hallucinogens calls me up and says he got a hold of some DMT. My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets because I am from Salem, Oregon (the northwest), and DMT and alot of 2C's are pretty freaking rare.

His stuff comes from Seattle, Washington. So I go to his house and he shows me little baggies of some off-white/tan powder. He says its 5-MeO-DMT. He says $25 for one bag which contains approximately 20mg. A dose about, so he says. I don't really believe him because i thought it was too good to be true. He had about 2 grams of the stuff. He told me it's the real deal and that he'll let me test it. So he gets a pipe, puts a small nug of weed and coats the top of the weed with about half of one of the $25 baggies. He keeps saying how I'll be tripping balls and what not.

So I take a hit, instantly it tastes like shit. Harsh on the throat. Tastes and feels like I'm smoking plastic or rubber or something. He told me to hold it as long as possible but as soon as I tried to inhale, it was too harsh and I coughed. Within milliseconds i felt a rush come upon my body. A real heavy body rush. My arms get all floppy and my body gets all light and weird. Like a super nicotine buzz. Then it really hits and things are starting to come alive.

So i trip pretty hard for about 10 minutes when i start to feel myself coming back into reality. I am able to think more clear. My body still feels weird but i can actually stand up now. After about 15 minutes I am almost baseline. I told him it was cool but a big rip-off.

So I am confused. I've heard before, and read that DMt is suposed to last like 30 minutes or so. But 10 minutes??? what the fuck was this stuff?? I mean i was tripping. Just not as long as i had hoped. most experiences i've heard have been real spiritual and awakening. Mine was weird and spacey. My body felt weird. I felt a little dossociated. I thought maybe some kind of weird ass extracted Salvia powder or powdered Salvinorin A or something. I am totally confused. I usually know what the chemical is when i try it. But this one threw me off. Thank god for you Bluelight! Thanks.

Check out the Big and Dandy 5-MeO-DMT thread. Your answers lie therein.

20mg is a HUGE dose btw. lucky the experience wasn't more intense.

smoked DMT does not last for a long time either. If you wish for a longer duration you must take it orally with an MAOI.

Also: DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are by no means the same thing. 5-MeO is often described as a more intense mindfuck with less focus on visuals. Some people have visual experiences in 5-MeO breakthroughs, others describe a lack of any visual content for at least much of the peak.

DMT is not about taking a hit, it is very important that you hold the hit in. You could take a 20mg hit and hold it for 40 seconds and blast incredibly hard. You could also take a 100mg hit, hold it in for 5 seconds, and get nothing.

You did not get a full experience because it was harsh and you coughed, which is a problem with smoking this stuff. It becomes an art, and eventually you get it down perfect. All in all, try it again if you want, that 10 minutes was 90% a placebo high.

DMT is not about taking a hit, it is very important that you hold the hit in. You could take a 20mg hit and hold it for 40 seconds and blast incredibly hard. You could also take a 100mg hit, hold it in for 5 seconds, and get nothing.

You did not get a full experience because it was harsh and you coughed, which is a problem with smoking this stuff. It becomes an art, and eventually you get it down perfect. All in all, try it again if you want, that 10 minutes was 90% a placebo high.

personally i've noticed that 10 seconds is the sweet spot, it's often repeated as a general rule of thumb

if you're holding a hit in for much longer than that it's going to be hard enough to ingest enough for a breakthrough, unless you got 50+mg in one toke (or you're that lucky SOB who can break through on less)

I finally have access to a few hundred milligrams of freebase DMT powder to play with. It's a light tan/yellowish color, and seems to sparkle just a bit under light at just the right angle which I assume is because the powder is really just tiny crystal fragments (if my understanding of crystalline structures is correct, at any rate).

The first thing I noticed is the smell. I can't quite place my finger on it but it's very familiar. Not just like 'regular' plastic, but a very distinct synthetic smell. I think I remember it from toys or something like that, some specific ones fresh out of the box anyway. Wait, I think I've got it - it smells kinda like eraser rubber. I'm not sure if that's what I was thinking of originally...

At any rate, so far I only smoked a tiny bit of it from a crappy $12 crack pipe that broke when I tried to get the grommets in all the way - crappy thin non-pyrex glass, figures. I'm gonna go get a nice, simple bulb/spoon style crack pipe, probably tomorrow, so I can do a breakthrough dose the proper way - and then another tiny sprinkle of around 10mg on top of a hit of weed. With the first trial, I actually vaporised a little bit of it properly: as described, it began to melt and boil at a surprisingly low temperature, turned a darker color and a surprising amount of pure white vapor started pulling from it. However, because the grommets weren't actually all the way in, the pipe was really awkward to pull from and didn't have a proper seal, so I got no effects whatsoever from that trial. With the bong, I think I destroyed at least a little of the material because, despite holding the flame a good bit above the DMT and herb, the weed cherried after a second and I assume the DMT right by the cherry was burned before it vaporised. At any rate, I got enough to get a very mild tryptamine giggles type buzz. I heard/felt a buzzing/ringing in my head, started to feel a bit dizzy, almost like my body felt simultaneously lighter and heavier than usual (hard to explain, not unpleasant but I can imagine much more of the same becoming the trance-like lack of bodily coordination and awareness of a DMT breakthrough), and very slight visual distortions, more like the day after a fairly visual trip than a trip itself. I think I'd want a little more material - I only got one full hit and it didn't taste that much like DMT so I doubt I got more than 10mg or so of effectively vaporised DMT there, maybe a little less.

At any rate, I'm gonna put the spice away for tonight - the whole one hour tolerance thing makes me not wanna waste more precious material on a series of small hits, I'm gonna wait till tomorrow and go for a breakthrough. Parting thought: while the taste of the vapor definitely reminds me of plastic (not quite like the smell, but also reminiscent of rubber as well as plastic imo), it wasn't as harsh as I was expecting. I think smoking that devilishly hot salvia smoke many a time (or, for other ROAs, the physical hell of snorting 2C-E I experienced just the other night for the first and probably last time) has set my expectations pretty high for supposedly awful smoke. It definitely wasn't a taste I could see enjoying on its own like weed aside from maybe associating it with enjoyable DMT experiences, but I would need a pretty monstrous hit of very thick DMT vapor - or just much hotter DMT vapor, as I was very conscientious about applying heat slowly to reach vaporising point without burning the DMT - to be at much risk of coughing it up. No harder to hold down than a harsh hit of burnt weed or even a long drag off the end of an unfiltered cig.

Well... I took the spice back out to try another higher, still sub breakthrough dose over weed in a bong, doing my best to barely cherry the weed in the middle, with the deemsters mostly around the edge of the bowl. Got 2-3 decent sized hits, held each in for 15-20 seconds or so, didn't force myself to hold it in when I got the overwhelming urge to exhale and breathe as I would try to with, say, salvia - just as long as I would sometimes hold weed back before I learned that anything more than a few seconds will deposit far more extra tar than THC...

Anyway, this experience was much more intense than my previous tries tonight. Shortly after finishing my hits, a stronger version of that familiar buzz/ring came back to my head, then quickly became more intense, almost unpleasantly so at its most intense. I was torn as to whether it was unpleasant, like a headache, or more or less neutral. Before I could decide, the physical effects began to subside and my attention shifted to the visual distortions - nothing dramatic, not even any extremely pronounced patterning, but intense color shifts/intensity, general flowing/moving/shimmering/blurring distortions, mostly fleeting or out of the corner of my eye... I remember for a minute or so, I just stared at some lines of text on a site I had up - I could see the words just fine but made no attempt to process them - it's not that they seemed unintelligible or I tried to read and couldn't, but the usually automatic process of reading any text I look at did not occur, and the text itself as an image, as well as everything I could see in general, had a slight inexplicable quality of 'otherness' even in the aspects that were in no way distorted. Even now, 20 or so minutes later, I'm still getting mild visual distortions, but when it first hit it was very... forceful, the very definition of a +3; I could not imagine occupying my mind with any thought not related to the effect of the DMT I was feeling.

All in all, this experience has left me more 'sold' on the whole tryptamine giggles thing. I'm not sure I'd call it euphoric - the come up / first minute or so was unsettling, maybe even mildly unpleasant, and if that was all it 'did' I wouldn't want to repeat the experience, especially for a difficult to acquire material I paid good money for. The next 20 minutes, though, were rather enjoyable, nothing extreme or frightening but interesting and fun, a nice way to 'dip my feet' so to speak in psychedelia without committing to a long trip on a 2C, LSD, etc. or the intensity of a breakthrough dose of DMT. I definitely expect to do more low dose trials with the remaining spice I have, although I suspect once I experience a breakthrough dose I'll want to save most of it for that purpose - it sounds absolutely incredible.

edit: oops, sorry to double post... Still coming down off my most intense DMT dose so far is a pretty decent excuse, I think ;)

You seem to have the right idea, Solistus. I will mention that for some reason smoking DMT from a carrier matrix has always been orders of magnitude more pleasant and effective than vaporizing it on bare glass (light bulbs, test tubes, etc.). Seems like your bong / cannabis trial was the most effective from the looks of your report, too.

And with regard to gaining a taste for smoked DMT by positive association - this has absolutely been my experience. When smoked with care, the taste really isn't terribly strong; however, after so many glorious experiences have resulted from the process it becomes positively delicious. :D

Man I love the taste of DMT: plastic incense. If you smoke it with weed as a carrier, your room will smell like the ambient air at most music festivals haha. :D

im sure others have probably said so, but you really don't do anything when your on DMT....

If you just want to get your feet wet instead of going for a full on breakthrough i would suggest finding a friend and just dump like .1g into a smaller blunt and just smoke on that. Hold it in for a little while and just pass it back and forth....

DMT is really like nothing else you have probably ever done.

It is remarkably clear headed, even if i break through i feel like i can still form coherent thoughts....

The gigglestick thing is awesome though, we had a great time with it.... but all i can really suggest with it is to show the drug as much respect as it desevers. DMT is on the order of something sacred, it shouldn't be used to get fucked up. Im not saying you need some purpose to try it, just respect what your dealing with.

Do it around people you are comfortable with, i reccomend outside during the day your first time. Have somewhere you can lay down whether your planning for a breakthrough or not. Trust me, DMT can make you have no concept of your own breathing in a couple of hits if you get enough, by that point your legs will be of little use....

For a breakthrough, throw 50mg or so into a pipe and smoke it correctly... Gentle heat, dont let the flame touch it.... I like to use a medium of a small amount of pot, other people just vaporize the crystal. Using bud and a bowl i find it to be much less harsh and easier on the lungs/throat.

I have introduced people to DMT with a full on breakthrough dose when their total experience with psychedelics consisted of a few mushroom trips. It is remarkably easy to handle as long as your able to just let go, and don't fixate on your breathing. The few people that i have talked to that wouldn't do DMT again got kind of scared because they weren't consious of their breathing and had the thought of "omg, im dead"....

Our general method of introduction to this stuff is to take newbies out to the woods, have a ihome thing for music.... tarps on the ground with blankets on top. chill for a while, smoke some bud.... Once everyone has kind of had a chance to aclimate to the enviroment we take turns smoking it with some of the more experienced people going first to demonstrate technique and to just give the people who haven't done it some idea of the scale of what is about to happen.

So far, there hasn't been a single person who did not thank me for it.... No freakouts or anything, everyone had great trips.

My personal favorite is solo DMT breakthroughs in the comfort of my own room.... No clothing, its just constricting and pointless.... Put on some psybient/chill/downtemp stuff for music and hit the pipe a few times.... It seems to be the only way that i make contact with the elves....

I do not reccomend doing it by yourself the first time or even the first few times.... When you come back your probably going to want to talk about it with someone.... and when you smoke it alone you come back to reality and there is really no one to come back to.... Which i kind of like but it can be a headfuck...

Sorry for the Wall o' Text.... but DMT is a personal favorite of mine...

Man I love the taste of DMT: plastic incense. If you smoke it with weed as a carrier, your room will smell like the ambient air at most music festivals haha. :D

have i told you lately that i love you =D

I'm curious about DMT and tolerance. All I know is from "common wisdom" - space out doses by an hour, some people say it takes more while on or shortly after having taken another psychadelic tryptamine and/or LSD.

What 'rules of thumb' would you recommend in terms of spacing out doses? If someone wants to use a set amount of material relatively quickly, but without wasting any by needing to use more to consistently break through, how should they space out doses?

^ Physical tolerance to DMT may last one hour, but IME you won't really get anywhere unless you space trips out by at least a week, preferably two. There shouldn't be any rush to smoke all of your spice - it keeps rather well.

Part of the magic of the DMT experience is the shock of having your perspective warped in a totally novel way - if that perspective is a recent memory, the novelty is absent, and therefore the trip has little impact. I've had entries to hyperspace verge on being downright boring, using an amount of DMT that totally blew me away 24 hours prior. For better or for worse (I happen to view it as a perk), trips on this stuff seem to elude the memory like those of no other drug - with each successive day following a breakthrough, the ability to recall the nature of the flash dissolves further, until one is left with only the memory of the deep emotional impact that it had.

The same applies to any other drug, food, location, or activity that one can experience. It's the reason I keep my pot usage to a weekly basis (or, at least, try to ;) ).

Last edited:
solistus try making "the machine" there is a thread on it and its not that hard to make, took me half hour, before i made "the machine" i was smoking DMT in a lightbulb, when i smoked about 20mg in the machine a couple days after the same dose in the lightbulb i was blown away by how much more effective the machine is at taking a "perfect hit" smoked nearly 40mg in it yesterday with a friend and almost broke through, never seen anything like it.... truly amazing =D