View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [DMT Extraction Subthread] Phalaris Grass

psilocybe said:
correct me if i'm wrong,

but isn't the DMT contained in the said plant so absolutely minimal that the only way to use the said plant wisely is for extraction purposes only?

Kindof like smoking dried opium pods expecting to get high off of morphine.
yes. i guess its such a small amount that you probably shouldnt even bother. I didnt know that you had to extract, i thought the plant material could be smoked and would produce DMT like effects, i was wrong.

if u wanna get anywhere with extractions use mimosa hostilis or acacia bark, pahalaris just doesnt cut it because you need alot more phalaris because as the previous posters said, the amount of n-n-dmt per gram is so small. Also phalaris has complications like having to break down the cell wall and what not...

It doesn't contain hardly any of 5-MEO-DMT, it contains mostly N,N DMT, but not much of that truly. Take closeup pics to identify it.

If you are going to go back for more pictures, get macro shots of: the leaves, the stems, the leaf axils, and especially seeds or flowers if they are present.

I can tell you just by the coloration of the plant itself that its alkaloid content is extremely low and it is unsuitable for what you are looking for. If you want to extract DMT (not 5MeO-DMT) out of phalaris there are tell tale signs of whether it will be suitable or not. Instead of bright green the grass should be darker with a slight to medium bluish tint (this indicates the presence of alkaloids in fair concentrations). Good luck finding it growing along the roadside and it be worth your while (unless the roadside is partial marsh land or has very rich soil). Typically it is best if they are partiallly submerged in water or if you live in an area with black soil (former marsh land indicator. Soil is extremely rich and great for mint growing). Typically the more nutrients the soil has naturally the better the grass will be.

Even then you will still need pounds and pounds of the grass to extract enough DMT for 1-5 reasonable trips. I would recommend hydroponic growing of maybe a half ton to a ton of the grass if you want any sort of large amount. Keep in mind ideal complete extraction takes about a month on top of growing it.

I would recommend looking into Illinois Bundleflower (Desmanthus Illinoensis). It has a much higher alkaloid yield and is fairly easy to grow and hardy.

DMT independence via Phalaris brachystachys

Phalaris brachystachys seems to be an ideal plant species for gaining DMT independence. Tryptamine concentrations can be at least 2 to 3 times that of Mimosa hostilis, and the alkaloid profile is said to be very desireable consisting of almost only n,n-dmt. P. brachystachys is a semi-hardy fast growing annual grass that can be grown in virtually any climate. To harvest, simply cut and re-cut. Also, juicing grass is much easier than harvesting, stripping, grinding,and boiling root bark. The possibilities are incredible.

Last edited:
welcome to bluelight man, hope you enjoy your stay. :) Any comments/questions about dmt in general should go in The Big and Dandt DMT Thread.

Also, even if someone sends you a PM regarding this, you still aren't allowed to send PMs back until you've reached "bluelighter" status after making at least 20 posts.

edit - apparently the mods don't see a problem with this, so cheers! lets keep it goin' :)

Last edited:
thanks for the info delta. certainly did not intend to break the rules, just trying to get the word out. i will migrate over to the Big and Dandy thread.

delta, that link you provided appears to go to a closed and archived thread. i don't see a 'reply' option there.

Doesn't phalaris grass also contain 5-MeO-DMT?

Edit: my bad, didn't realize there were other psychoactive species in the phalaris genus. I was thinking of reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacea).

yes, most phalaris does. p. brachystachys is said to contain mostly if not only n,n-dmt. i would presume there must be some 5-MeO-DMT in there.

Probably is but not in any significant concentrations (as opposed to p. arundinacea for example).

I've been curious about this plant for awhile now and I'm very surprised that more info hasn't come out about it. My skeptical side feels it may be due to the tested plants being a unique population. Who knows though, perhaps the MHRB teks out there have kept those interested in dmt satisfactorily supplied so no one has looked much further.

brachystachys said:
delta, that link you provided appears to go to a closed and archived thread. i don't see a 'reply' option there.
Oh sorry man, I musta linked you the archived one by mistake...I'll fix it for ya:D

I also noticed recently that the DMT link on the essential reading page actually points to the big and dandy DMT thread in archive. What's up with that anyway?

^It just hasn't been updated. It's the same with most of the CD links, too :\.

Now CD is another issue altogether, can't expect much work from those stoned mods, but PD? Tsk tsk :p

hahaha so true, CD is definately the laziest forum of all time:!

The biggest problem with Phalaris is that it contains large ammounts of Gramine - a toxic tryptamine.

Can you post sources for the contents of P. brachystachys? If it does not contain Gramine, then I would agree with you :).

I will look into the BnD link problem, thanks for pointing that out, everyone! :)

thanks for getting the thread in compliance mods. i'm more used to the gardening type forums. i will familiarize myself more with the posting rules here on bluelight.

jamshyd, the only scientific study i have read about regarding this species was done by Festi and Samorini, but i cannot seem to find details on that. the claim, i believe from them, was that brachystachys had the "richest" alkaloid content of the phalaris genus and had a clean profile of almost only n,n-dmt.

i am aware of at least 3 firsthand accounts of success with this species as an oral admixture at the 20-45g fresh (wet) foliage range. perhaps even less would be ideal, especially for other means of administration. all of those started the process with a wheatgrass type juicer.