• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals [DMT Extraction Subthread] Phalaris Grass

geez you guys are a tough crowd. ok here goes...

Ptah said:
Dependent? MHRB is cheap, easily obtained and it works.
you're right. but, this might not always be the case, especially with the stature it has gained.

Ptah said:
Making a batch of DMT that will last forever is actually affordable for someone with a normal job.
you're right again. but, this might not be practical for some. for instance, one might not want a large quantity of pure chemical in their possession indefinitely. that could carry risks, which some may consider unnecessary. and by the way, ethnobotanical gardening is kinda fun in itself. ever tried it? it can really connect you right to the source of what you're working with, and takes the financial aspect right out of the equation, which call me crazy, but makes me feel better about it.

Ptah said:
I don't really understand why you're promoting P.B., as you obviously haven't tested it yourself.
Are you trying to get others to do it for you or what?
this isn't even about ME. but, i've been able to handle the scrutiny so far, so...first thing, how do you know i haven't done any testing? would i necessarily broadcast it in detail on a public forum if i had? secondly, i will promote the study of any plant source claimed to have such an astronomical concentration and relatively desireable profile, whether it ultimately will be verified or debunked. but, the assays are adding up in favor of this one. this is exciting, for god's sake.

ok, who's next?

No worries, brachystachys... people are just concerned, as we recently had a guy come on under multiple user accounts pretending to be different people, in order to try to drum up interest in a few other things.

brachystachys said:
i love this place, i really do! the debate is useful anyway.
Well you came on here with claims that were unproven and still are…
That would be like going on a race car forum and saying you have a 6 cylinder car that can run off water and go 600 miles an hour. People are going to call bullshit and ask for proof..
The brachystachys has been not been proven to have any useable DMT much less 2 to 3 times what MHRB has…
For proof you have a link that some reputable people say it has been found to have some DMT along with the rest of the popular phalaris grasses. But it also says it was found to have 5-meo-dmt which is very hard to separate from n,nDMT so it seems it has the same problem the rest of the phalaris grasses have. My guess would be it also has Gramine also.
And you mention 2 posters on Edot say they have had some success with it. That is very sketchy reference since we all know how easy it is to post unreliable info on a forum. And Edot is one of the most unreliable places to get info from. It is full of vendor spam and a bunch of pretend shamans trying to tell 17year old kids how to become enlightened by following their delusional thoughts.
So we are still waiting for some reliable info and links…On your claims.

If you would of came on here and said their is a phalaris grass that might be worth looking into and might have some potential people wouldn’t question you or call bullshit but when you come on here and make huge claims we are going to want to see some proof…

More then just a pretend shaman and his pet cats’ friend SWIM at Edot.

squerll said:
And Edot is one of the most unreliable places to get info from. It is full of vendor spam and a bunch of pretend shamans trying to tell 17year old kids how to become enlightened by following their delusional thoughts.
More then just a pretend shaman and his pet cats’ friend SWIM at Edot.

a few of you have chosen to sabotage this thread for whatever reason, and to insult myself and my friends...flame on, but i won't be a part of it.

i want to thank everyone who has posted thoughtful experiences, ideas, and opinions. i've conveyed my current knowledge on the subject, and will return to post again should i have additional information to contribute to the discussion.

^^Sorry to get slightly off topic, but bottom line I’m just asking for proof of your claims and obviously you have none…

Look forward too seeing any if you can ever come up with some.

I still think you have commercial interests in brachystachys and I think your intentions in starting 7 threads with misleading claims was to fill the search engines with false info on brachystachys.
Hopefully interested consumers have enough sense to read more into the subject.

Last edited:
brachystachys said:
geez you guys are a tough crowd. ok here goes...<cut>
Your arguments are hollow if not just plain bs.

I have been a professional gardener for over 15 years and still enjoy that line of work in my private garden.
That includes psychoactive plants, several species, subspecies and strains. How about you? =D

Pardon me for speaking my mind but I keep smelling a rat.

I'll happily eat my own words in public once yours have gained a bit of substance.
A picture of your plants and the end product, a description of the tek used and your personal trip report will do nicely.
If that happens and it looks and sounds good then I'll be the first to beg or buy your seeds.

squerll said:
I still think you have commercial interests in brachystachys and I think your intentions in starting 7 threads with misleading claims was to fill the search engines with false info on brachystachys.
Hey, be nice.. The OP only started this one topic, didn't he? And he has posted nothing that was made up by him so far, AFAIK everything that has been discussed can be found at other places online, so no need to throw around baseless accusations like that.

There is too much paranoia in the air on BL since the whole Adananthera/Erick Smyth/Pantherina(sp?) farce, I wish people would cool down a little already.

The bottom line regarding this topic is: there's still not enough data on this species to make any conclusions, and nobody is arguing the opposite (including the OP). Hopefully there will be official analysis regarding the alkaloid contents of P. brachystachys that confirms (or otherwise) these promising claims; until then this discussion (especially the flaming!) isn't getting us anywhere.

OP: definately post back if you hear anything new, despite what some people say, people are interested (I know I am).

Recept said:
There is too much paranoia in the air on BL since the whole Adananthera/Erick Smyth/Pantherina(sp?) farce, I wish people would cool down a little already.
Point taken. :)

Let's get this thread back on track as an investigative thread where those of us who are interested in exploring this potentially interesting species may do so.

To those who seem not to have held back in voiceing their skepticism, I appreciate your concern, but, I'm a grown man and am fully capable of reading the available materials and making a decision reguarding where to invest my interests. Your belief or disbelief in the viability of this plant as an entheogen is irrelevent to the topic and adds only clutter and venom to the thread.

Brachystachys didn't invent Phalaris Brachystachys and really shouldn't be placed in the position of having to further justify his recommendation that others explore the plant . The grilling he's recieved and admirably (and patiently) defended against is unfair and I'm glad to see he's stepped out of that silly debate. Their is more than sufficient evidence, some of which is anecdotal, to justify further investigation by those who are interested and willing to do so.

I've enough MHRB to supply myself with effective skin treatment for decades yet I still find PB very interesting. Phalaris Brachystachys and Canariensis (a cultivar of brachystachys, I believe) are interesting not just because of their (debated) potency.

The very short time to maturity may make this plant an excellent candidate for breeding even more potent or pure strains.

The annual nature of the plant allows for multiple harvests and growth for seed.

As a grass, the home cultivator isn't faced with the task of seriously injuring his plants as might be the case with plants like Mimosa hostilis, Acacia Obtusifolia or Desmanthus species.

For groups of individuals of like mind interested in psychedelic spiritual ceremonies, PB may be able to eliminate much of the expense of aquiring sacrements as well as , and more importantly, helping to eliminate the paper trail and number of individuals privy to the groups activities.

Phalaris Brachystachys is also a great "lab" for learning about inheritence and basic testing for alkaloids.

I think it's important that we understand that we are a diverse group and as such our interests are also diverse. Some of us are primarily interested in a plant or a plant material purely as a means to an end and that's fine. Others aren't so focused on the end result (although it surely is still important) but rather enjoy the process and novelty of the process to reach that end.

Finally, in the spirit of harm reduction, these plants are underexplored, of unknown potency and potentially toxic. For the less motivated and experienced, Phalaris Brachystachys shouldn't be considered over mimosa as a route to DMT. No phalaris species should be considered as a safe route to ayahuasca without extraction or analysis.

Now, on to the mysteries of the sacred grass....

Last edited:
^^ Agreed. Let's get this back on track, unless some evidence comes in that it's bullshit. Which it hasn't.

Also, the reports at EDot, particularly from Ferdinand are extremely reliable.

I just want to apologize for disrupting research;
I don’t believe brachystachys claims or his said intentions. But I really do hope I am wrong and I will come back and apologize for being wrong. I do believe this is a positive and valuable thing to research so I don’t want to be disruptive to that. So I have said everything I had to say on this thread and I will leave you guys alone unless you start coming up with real proven useable n,nDMT and then I will come back and apologize and say I was wrong.

brachystachys in your first post you were offerring seeds. Thats problemtaic for us you see. I edited it relatively quickly afterwards, but retained a copy which is BL policy. BL may be considered ridiculous on other forums- that said, its one of the biggest psychedelic forums on the web in terms of influence, and we are very protective of that.

As Xorkoth said, we have had a guy recently that spawened several different accounts to promote dangerous substances, Ananadnanthera spp. (bufo) and A. Pantherina. Peopl ARE a bit suspicious, because we are talking about, ultimately, our lives here; but it seems that others are talking about their wallets.

I personally would not touch phalaris spp. ever. The stories about it are too variable for me to decalre it safe for human use. Its clealry not understood enough. This is a harm redcution forum; as well as spreading your message of DMT use, which I wholeheartedl agree with at leat in intenst and purposes; the ultimate aim is to reduce the risk associated with taking illegal drugs.

MHRB is reliable, safe and available. Lets sincerely hope we don't overuse it and (well I don't anyway but-) respect what we do, and not start extracting unnessecary lifetimes supplies of DMT from the plant-mother- I am extremely cautious in harvesting myself.

Anyway, that is the concern- your not quite promoting anything, but your not NOT promoting it- your not urging suitable restraint, which reminds one of a telemarketere or something; insistent about what?? :\ . Until you can give us a reliable source, the stipulations of this website urge me and others to dispute what you claim- we aren't disputing or disrespecting you, and I've enjoyed your eloquent and tolerant posting style and obvious concern for humanity (god knows we need that more!), and am very glad you enjoy Bluelight. Be aware that we are a bunch of fruitloops, so dried semen and catpiss asre the least of your concerns (believe it or not, I'd say Youkai was for real not being sarcastic- SERIOUSLY 8o <3 :) ); what is, is making a startling claim and not being able to back it up. The PD crew can come down hard- I know, I started a thread years ago urging people not use PCP in a rather zealous manner, and was summarily dissected, and rightfully in hindsight- meh, I've never even tried the drug :)

Please continue posting- but be prepared to quanitfy your claims. Its not an unreasonable ask- we are all very aware of the variable nature of the tryptamine molecules, and while yeah, DMT may be highly present in this grass and provide a wondeflly entheogenic and enriching flash of hyperspace- the 'darker' trypatmines and indoles in the grass (which seem to fluctuate wildly) are dangerous as far as we know. In the case of drugs, its guilty until proven innocent; guilty of harboring destructive psychoactive agenets!

This is something I would like to investigate; I like the idea of being able to grow and spread the growth of a hardy DMT rich grass, but certainly not a poison. So please, if neccesary read a bit about what Bluelights POLICIES on drugs are- and see if you can see where I'm coming from. Also remember there are good threads around here for talking about ethnobotanicals and DMT and their effects and potentials, so jump on in.

Sam :)

ps. Its a shame people see Bluelight as ridiculous really (I've never heard of that really); but essentially its a place of high spritits and energy and humans, who are ridiculous and beautiful- thats the price for free entry, you get all kinds. Variety is The Spice of Life (second only to one other Spice <3 )

I'd be surprised if he bothers to post again.

His message wasn't the issue. The issue was that he chose a screen name in the same fashion as "Anadenanthera" and "Pantherina" and that he posted on multiple boards. Folks got paranoid.

Again, as in the case of Erick Smyth, we need to be able to seperate the message from the messanger or as the old adage goes "don't throw the baby out with the bath water".

DMT Extraction, Help.

I just found out we have 2 plants that grow by me very near, I need some help in extracting the DMT (Chem isn't my favorite subject)

Anyways here's some Information on the plants if this helps in anyway:\

Phalaris arundinacea (Red canary grass): This perennial is a native of Canada, but occurs in northern Europe and the northern half of the US. In the wild, it is usually found where there is purple loosestrife. It can grow over 6 feet tall and tends to form clumps. Fond of wetlands, it has been used in areas set up to filter sewage, but it also enjoys uplands and can survive drought. It grows best on moist, sandy soil and dislikes heat (won't prosper in the Deep South). An aggressive plant, some consider it a weed, others an excellent forage crop. It reproduces through its rhizomes or through its copious seeds. The plant has recently been discovered to have high concentrations of DMT, beta-carbolines, 5-MEO-demethyltryptamine, and trace amounts of bufotenine.

Phalaris aquatica (P. tuberosa; Harding grass): A perennial grass that tends to grow along rivers and creek banks. Like P. arundinacea, this phalaris grows from rhizomes (looks like a thick root found near the surface of the soil) and can form thick tussocks. It was introduced to the US from Australia as a forage plant for sheep and has become naturalized in California. Keeping the plant cut will increase its spread horizontally. This plant also contains high concentrations of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, bufotenine (in fresh but not dried plants), and beta-carbolines. Alkaloid content is increased when the plant is stressed, especially if it wilts (without dying), but as with all the phalaris, alkaloid content can vary not only from season to season but from plant to plant. WARNING: This strain is the one responsible for causing "Sheep Staggers" in grazing sheep. On the other hand, there hasn't been a single death or case of "Sheep Staggers" associated with Phalaris arundinacea. Please read the related article below.

Alright if anyone has any information on helping me with my quest, Please post or PM me. Rember this is for all the Modren Day Explorers out there too =D

The Quantities of N'N'DMT in Canary Grass and Turberosa is incredibly low.

You would literally need a haybale to get a sizeable amount of DMT
but because it also contains 5-meo-dmt, you would end up getting an over powering mixture of the two, probably closer to 70+ 5-meo-dmt and 30% DMT

I was thinking of extracting from phalaris at one point. The DMT content is so incredibly low it actually makes it hard to get any yield. the one time I tried it I ended up with crapola.

Check out the thread morex linked to, I also merged a whole bunch of threads about Phalaris grass into this: DMT Extraction Subthread: Phalaris Grass which I'm also going to merge this into. Have a read from the start for more info on Phalaris. :)

Got some DMT grass seeds, need help

I have some seeds to grow 5-MeO-DMT grass.

Anybody have experience cultivating this stuff?

I'm after ideal growing conditions, season etc.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)