• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines did hippies take shrooms?

Might have been one or two but the idea that it was there some widespread youth movement tripping on mushrooms just doesn't work for me.

It was probably just drunkard and squid :D

Oh no!! They've seen through us, DD...I guess we were the ground-breakers for tripping on shrooms. We were the 2 guys who turned-on an entire generation to doing mushrooms. We be famous...or infamous...at this point of a 10 page argument, we might just as well.:\

hahahahahaha i'm so glad i finally got you to at least admit that much :D

<3 man

Seeing as it's my B-day today, I might as well just say...I'll leave the 2 of you alone. Who am I to stand in the way of pink hearts & such a bond of loveliness?:sus:

<3 nice debating with you nightwatchman :)

You 2 agree on everything...how is that a debate?:?

Nah, mushrooms wern't illegal in 1965 anywhere in the world as far as I'm aware. The article you cite seems to be claiming that the police would "seize" them and then "send them away for testing" like they would an unknown drug today. I wonder whether the police would even know what the mushrooms were never mind send a perfectly legal drug away for "testing".

apparently some people were aware of intoxicating but edible Panaeolus mushrooms as early as 1914..sorta blows the whole "barely anyone knew about them in the 1960s" thing out of the water imo

Maybe. I just wonder how come it took Wasson until 1955 to discover psilocybin mushrooms? Why didn't one of these hippies from 1914 come out of the woodwork and say "I've been tripping since Hitler was a corporal"?

you're citing 0 sources

No, I've cited plenty of sources. I've said Leary stopped tripping on psilocybin because he couldn't source mushrooms, I've told you how thousands of hippies were travelling to Mexico to trip on the "magic mushroom" because that's the only place the knew it grew, I've told you the first growbook was 1976 etc.

yet you are disagreeing with both people who are citing sources

But what are your sources worth? It's no use doing a 2 minute google search and then claiming whatever shit comes back is to be trusted. I've just asked you about your source that claims mushrooms were "seized" when they were legal and instead of saying "Ooops, yeah I hadn't thought of that" you came up with some idea that maybe Canada had banned them by 1965. Bud, please.

people who claim to have been actively using recreational drugs in the 60s

But the same people also claim to have been taking "chocolate mescaline". There's an awful lot of shit talked about drugs even today - when people can find out about drugs with a click on the internet. Imagine how clueless people were in the 60s when you could make up any old shit you wanted.

Another great post from Ismene, the voice of reason as always.

^That mushroom video was very informative...thanks for posting that.

what happened to half the post in this thread?

are there mushrooms that stein blue that will kill?

Sorry to double post, I didn't know how to edit my previous one and add something new....without losing everything I already posted.

I'm in my 30s, I haven't taken mushrooms in 5 years or so, and I definitely don't indulge in psychedelics like I used to...My brain has troubles with stimulants and psychedelics these days....Not troubles, so much, but my brain very easily slips into psychedelic states in certain lighting, when I hear certain music, highly emotional states can trigger it, so to actually use psychedelics I prefer an ideal situation...

The few times I picked and took psychedelic mushrooms, I didn't have the knowledge of what I was looking for back then as much...by the time I got into mushroom hunting I was mainly looking for the edible varieties, which in a lot of ways are more interesting to hunt for...they grow in very specific and varied habitats and can be a lot harder to find than the run of the mill "boomers"...They're also usually much more forgiving....A morel is a morel, once you've seen one, it's virtually impossible to fuck up!...There are "false morels" that are poisonous, but they're solid whereas true morels are hollow, there's a few other glaring differences...

I don't know if "Galerina" mushrooms grow in the UK or Australia or wherever you are, but these are the ones you really wanna watch out for They can look almost identical to liberty caps and few other psilo varieties...I don't have a book in front of me so I don't have proper names...

but if the mushrooms in question are growing in the right area, they have the right color, and everything looks right about them, AND they stain blue...There's a very high likeliehood that they are the real deal....the gills, the size, the sliminess, the different colors of the different parts of the anatomy is what you look for...always with a book in your hand listing all the characteristics...I go down the list and compare everything...If it all checks out, you're good! and a good book will also have a warning if there's a poisonous lookalike!

However, there is one very rare species of Galerinas that do stain blue! And they can be deadly, but the odds of having that bad of luck to find those in a cow-field are slim! There's probably other varieties of mushrooms that are deadly that stain blue out there in the world, but they don't closely resemble any legit psych mushrooms or grow in the same habitat, AFAIK...

I've found wild mushrooms that immediately turned blue when you broke them open that looked nothing like common psychedelics....It was bolete mushroom...In that case, the turning blue was an indicator that it wasn't an edible variety, which most boletes are...It was in the book I was using at the time...It was mildly poisonous...

Anyway, another long post...

Psychedelic mushrooms are much harder to identify than a lot of edibles are overall, which is kind of like God's way of fucking with the space cadets, I guess! I'm sure at least someone dies every year trying to hunt psychedelic mushrooms, but most people don't!

Last edited:
I don't know if "Galerina" mushrooms grow in the UK or Australia
we have galerinas in australia and people die from them pretty much every year. the last case i can remember was an asian family down south and there was more than one ofthem die, quite sad. i did not think that galerinas steined blue though. i just did a little look and apparently they do stein blue (Galerina steglichii).

thanks for answering my question!

I had it in the back of my mind somewhere, I just couldn't remember the frickin name "Galerina"....I think there's one called "Lawnmower mushrooms" that MAY do that too, or at least theyre a good mimic...

but, yeah...as you probably found, because I think I just even saw it on Wikipedia as I was searching around, there's only one variety of Galerina that does that supposedly...

considering how the church had just spent 2000 years stamping peoples heads into the ground for pagan beliefs, burned 1000's of herbal healers at the stake for being witches and generally repressed violently any activity that facilitated a real mystical experience because that threatened their power base (The church hates anything that gives people a direct line to the spiritual experience) it's hardly surprising that the use of something so profound as mushrooms was hidden away in the darker corners of society.

Obviously Wasson wasn't the first person to ever discover and use psilocybin, that's ridiculous, it's perfectly understandable that it was new news to a lot of folks in the 1950's and 60s, especially in pilgrim land USA, But it wasn't news to everyone ! Like I said in an earlier post my grandmother told me she learnt about mushrooms from her grandmother back in the 1920s, my family can be traced back to the middle ages, they were crofters on Dartmoor and there are headstones with my ancestors on in little village churches from that part of England dating back to the 1400's.

Looking at the way pagans were persecuted and repressed for eons it's no wonder people kept that kind of knowledge very close to their chest, hell even today I am not exactly keen on telling the middle class church goers or the authorities about my knowledge and use of these things, In fact I'm sure a very large percentage of the straights still have no clue about these plant based medicines and their virtues.

Last edited:
my dad grew up in the usa and moved to Colombia because of my grandpas job when he was sixteen and he and others would regularly go out to the cow fields and eat mushrooms, this was in 1972, he said people were doing the same things in the south eastern states through the seventies,

yeh 70's they blew-up i think the argument / debate is mostly in regards to people eating them in the 60's. :)

i agree kevin. i just dont believe indigenous people didnt know about psychedelic and for that matter poisonous fungus.

my old man did mushrooms in late 60s on a surf trip up to the gold coast. he turned the locals onto lsd (pink dots) and in return the locals showed him psilocybe on cow pats.

hilarious thread - a bunch of young city dwellers, calling older, experienced and wiser men liars and bullshit artists.
Remember children, when someone wiser than you imparts free knowledge - Keep your mouth shut, listen closely and commit it to memory !

my final input on this subject

yeh 70's they blew-up i think the argument / debate is mostly in regards to people eating them in the 60's. :)

i agree kevin. i just dont believe indigenous people didnt know about psychedelic and for that matter poisonous fungus.

my old man did mushrooms in late 60s on a surf trip up to the gold coast. he turned the locals onto lsd (pink dots) and in return the locals showed him psilocybe on cow pats.
I surf and have lot's of people close to me that do as well. My elders often told awesome surf trip stories to various places around the world. They ingested mushrooms often on these trips. Mexico was the first place they tried them I believe. Upon returning home they went hunting often.
Also in the emerald triangle, particularly humboldt there are lots and lots of fungus growing. People have been picking mushrooms up north for a long time. Through, mostly stupid trial and error picking. I am sure this is the same elsewhere. This was in the 60's.

Remember children, when someone wiser than you imparts free knowledge - Keep your mouth shut, listen closely and commit it to memory !

But if they start telling you about all the "chocolate mescaline" they did it's a good bet you're listening to a clueless bullshitter.

See what I mean about listening and reading closely? You were so busy telling everyone the impossibilities of things you are obviously clueless about you totally missed this critical info > The pure mescaline was not chocolate But it was however mixed/cut with chocolate flavored instant pudding mix (a Powder).

This was done for safetys sake and so it would fit in a large capsule otherwise it would be too strong.Noone had sub milligram scales in those days.
Have you ever eaten a peyote button? I have - many times.
Have you ever eaten a fresh picked magic mushroom straight from the cow pasture? I have -many times.
You sir are either a troll, foolish kid or more likely both.

Please stop cluttering this thread with your useless uninformative posts.You have no real life experience and it shows.
Your ilk are the reason I followed Bl for many years without posting

No, just more bullshit I'm afraid duke. Chocolate mescaline was nothing to do with mescaline - if it wasn't acid it would have been DOM not mescaline.

I'm not even going to address the "it was put in a large capsule with chocolate otherwise it would have been too strong" bullshit - jesus you sound like a 14 year old. Get a grip of yourself.

I've forgotten more about drugs than you'll ever know.

you don't need a sub-milligram scale for mescaline

a scale accurate to +/- 0.1g would be good enough for mescaline, really. one of the least potent-by-weight psychedelics out there.

i could see mescaline chocolates existing legitimately, though, but for purposes of edibility rather than to get the dosage more accurate. people make mushroom chocolates fairly often.

Yeah but he's saying they mixed it with chocolate pudding mix and then put it in a capsule. If you're putting it in a capsule what's the point in adding pudding to it? You arn't going to taste it anyway.

hilarious thread - a bunch of young city dwellers, calling older, experienced and wiser men liars and bullshit artists.

my final input on this subject

See what I mean about listening and reading closely? You were so busy telling everyone the impossibilities of things you are obviously clueless about you totally missed this critical info > The pure mescaline was not chocolate But it was however mixed/cut with chocolate flavored instant pudding mix (a Powder).

This was done for safetys sake and so it would fit in a large capsule otherwise it would be too strong.Noone had sub milligram scales in those days.
Have you ever eaten a peyote button? I have - many times.
Have you ever eaten a fresh picked magic mushroom straight from the cow pasture? I have -many times.
You sir are either a troll, foolish kid or more likely both.

Please stop cluttering this thread with your useless uninformative posts.You have no real life experience and it shows.
Your ilk are the reason I followed Bl for many years without posting

The 2 best posts in 10 pages of total nonsense arguing. Duke's correct...you can't learn anything if you are always talking / arguing / not listening / thinking what you're going to say next.
[/I'm done as well].

you can't learn anything if you are always talking / arguing / not listening / thinking what you're going to say next.

Then again, if you're mixing your "mescaline powder" with chocolate pudding mix BEFORE putting it all in a capsule, it might be time to stop pontificating that you know it all and time to start listening. Even if the person correcting you is younger.