• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines did hippies take shrooms?

you're misunderstanding what i'm saying. where did i say "they have effects on you more noticable than LSD"?

if the other stereoisomers have any central action then obviously the effect is less potent than that of d-LSD. the fact remains, though, that there are other stereoisomers that can be present as impurities in LSD in varying amounts, and therefore some batches of LSD can be less potent (by weight) than other batches.

you're misunderstanding what i'm saying.

No I'm not.

where did i say "they have effects on you more noticable than LSD"?

Presumably the only time you'd allegedly encounter these is alongside a dose of LSD. Now we can safely assume that LSD is going to be present in a vastly larger dose than any of these isomers. So if you notice them that means that they're more potent than LSD - otherwise you'd only notice the LSD. Y'follow?

if the other stereoisomers have any central action

In the paragraph by Shulgin you posted it says "All three are completely inactive"

false. i don't want to get too far into synthesis discussion since it is not allowed here, but "its either LSD or it isn't LSD" isn't entirely true

depending on what methods you use in synthesis, there can be varying ratios of these isomers in your final product, leading to differences in potency (and some say differences in effect)

You should pop in the "dirty acid" thread and share your opinion brotha. Seems like you can contribute to the discussion greatly.

The other isomers of LSD are not active. But, for people who have experienced "dirty" lsd and "clean" lsd tend to state there is something going on. Though we have not been able to come to an agreed conclusion in the thread yet. I believe sub active doses of impurities can play a synergistic role in effecting the d-lsd. Anyway off topic for this thread but, I would love to hear what you gotta say in a pm or in the other thread.

Now we can safely assume that LSD is going to be present in a vastly larger dose than any of these isomers.

that actually isn't a safe assumption. the inactive isomers could be present as anywhere form 0% to 50% of the mass by weight, or perhaps more (varying depending on the synthesis methods/precursors used). if some batches have 0% impurities, and other batches have 50% impurities, then the 0% batch would be twice as potent as the 50% batch.

In the paragraph by Shulgin you posted it says "All three are completely inactive"

as livingthealps confirmed above me, some people say that the supposedly "inactive" isomers actually do have slight effects. i don't know either way.

But if they're inactive anyway, what difference does it make if they're 50% or 0%? They're inactive.

"Slightly active" won't cut it when you're competing with one of the most powerful drugs known to man. If you're going up against a drug with the power of LSD you're gonna need to be active - you're gonna need to be active as a motherfucker. You arn't gonna notice 5 mics of aspirin on a 500mic LSD trip.

But if they're inactive anyway, what difference does it make if they're 50% or 0%? They're inactive.

the difference is that 200mics of the 0% impure batch will have 200mics of d-LSD, while 200mics of the 50% impure batch will have only have 100mics of d-LSD

Because an inactive isomer or an inactive dose of an impurity from the cooking process can play the role of a catalyst.

But you mixed it with some of that good old chocolate mescaline and it tasted just fine? 8)

I'm not much of a believer in in magic. All I know is if the molecule contains the correct atoms in the correct structure it's LSD, otherwise it isn't LSD.

But remember no-one knew there were wild psilocybin mushrooms in the northwest, otherwise Wasson wouldn't have had to go to Mexico to discover them. Think about it. Psilocybin is isolated in 1958 - you're saying that teenage hippies were capable of going from that to discovering psilocybin mushrooms in the wild and tripping on them within a few years? Can you tell me exactly how they discovered all these mushrooms? The only method would have been to eat any strange wild mushroom they found and hope it didn't kill them.

Think how many years it took LSD to spread - and that was when it was known it was harmless and came in nice blotters. You're telling me mushrooms spread twice as fast as LSD when there was an enormous risk that if you took the wrong mushroom you died screaming in agony? Nah - it ain't gonna happen.

There were encyclopedias way back then. Maybe there was some info on mushrooms?
All the mushrooms we did 35-40 yrs ago were just fine...nobody got sick...either that, or I was killed by a poisonous mushroom & you are my eternal punishment!8(

There were encyclopedias way back then. Maybe there was some info on mushrooms?

So are you saying you went out and picked these mushrooms yourself? After looking in an "encyclopedia"? What encyclopedia was it? The encyclopedia for hippies who want to get fucked up?

Any theories why so many hundreds of hippies were travelling to Mexico to trip on mushrooms in the 60s? So many that the mexican government had to step in to stop the flow? Why do you think they simply didn't look in that good old encyclopedia and save themselves the journey to Mexico?

One thing I would agree with you on tho squid - there would have been a lot of hippies claiming they'd taken mushrooms rather than LSD because it would make them appear "cool" and "different from the crowd" and of course because it's a "plant" and "not synthetic". The question is how many of them you'd believe.

Last edited:
So are you saying you went out and picked these mushrooms yourself? After looking in an "encyclopedia"? What encyclopedia was it? The encyclopedia for hippies who want to get fucked up?

Any theories why so many hundreds of hippies were travelling to Mexico to trip on mushrooms in the 60s? So many that the mexican government had to step in to stop the flow? Why do you think they simply didn't look in that good old encyclopedia and save themselves the journey to Mexico?

One thing I would agree with you on tho squid - there would have been a lot of hippies claiming they'd taken mushrooms rather than LSD because it would make them appear "cool" and "different from the crowd" and of course because it's a "plant" and "not synthetic". The question is how many of them you'd believe.

Wow man, you really need to do a few bong blasts & not be so wound-up about this. Personally, I don't think you have all the facts straight...but hey, who cares? Life's too short to be so rigid in your opinions.
I think we weren't burnt-out to the point where we couldn't tell a mushroom from a hit of LSD...& the synthetic/organic deal is trivial. If it was organic (buttons or shrooms), all the better. If it was thrown together in someone's kitchen, we rolled the dice. Thank goodness nobody flipped-out from a bad trip...we just had fun, tripped ballz & really didn't get too deep into the origins. Have a few tokes...:\

You can find wild psilocybin mushrooms growing pretty much everywhere in the Northwest, and the Southeast.....but nobody in a country of over 250 million people knew about or took them in the 1960s?

Actually we did. I saw your post where you talked to those of us who had been around in the 60s who had taken them and yeah there are people here in this thread who are FOS who want to rewrite the past but LOL they were not even around in the 60s and many of these fools obsess over BS fiction written on the shroomery about different brands of LSD when they're forgetting that LSD is LSD.

The Audobon field guid to north American mushrooms lists all poisonous, edible, and non-edible varieties.....Picking mushrooms has a reputation of being so dangerous, but most of the time, it's very easy to identify them if you know what to look for....A lot of psychedelic varieties are pretty non-spectacular looking and there are a few deadly varieties that are close in resemblance, but it's still not difficult to tell if you know what to look for.

It's not like there's just a few very difficult to find psychedelic mushrooms, when they come out, there's millions of them....

Actually we did.

Who is this "we"? Do you mean yourself and the little mouse you keep in your top pocket?

Who told you there were lots of different types of psilocybe mushrooms? Wasson said there was only one - in Mexico. That's why thousands of people travelled to Mexico in the 60s. Who told you and your mates about all these other psilocybin mushrooms?

from the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

The popularization of entheogens by Wasson, Leary, authors Terence McKenna and Robert Anton Wilson, and others has led to an explosion in the use of psilocybin mushrooms throughout the world. By the early 1970s, many psilocybin mushroom species were described from temperate North America, Europe, and Asia and were widely collected. Books describing methods of cultivating Psilocybe cubensis in large quantities were also published. The availability of psilocybin mushrooms from wild and cultivated sources has made it among the most widely used of the psychedelic drugs.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata

In 1965, forensic characterization of psilocybin-containing mushrooms seized from college students in British Columbia identified P. semilanceata[55]—the first recorded case of intentional recreational use of the mushroom in Canada.[56]

^references cited::

[55] Heim R, Genest K, Hughes DW, Belec G. (1966). "Botanical and chemical characterization of a forensic mushroom specimen of the genus Psilocybe". Journal of the Forensic Science Society 6 (4): 192–201. doi:10.1016/S0015-7368(66)70336-3.
[56] Metzner R. (2005). Sacred Mushroom of Visions: Teonanácatl: A Sourcebook on the Psilocybin Mushroom (2nd ed.). Rochester, Vermont: Park Street Press. ISBN 1-59477-044-1.

from http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wong/BOT135/Lect20b.htm

The knowledge of magic mushrooms even spread to Hawai‘i, during the early 1960s. According to Dr. Mark Merlin, Professor of Biology, during the early 1960s, when the Peace Corp first began, some training was done in Hawai‘i. Apparently, some Peace Corp members were aware of magic mushrooms and knew that some species could be found on cow and horse dung. Although the mushrooms were probably present, in Hawai‘i, for as long as horses and cows have been here, prior to the arrival of the Peace Corp, knowledge of the mushroom's psychoactive properties was not known.

Who is this "we"? Do you mean yourself and the little mouse you keep in your top pocket?

Who told you there were lots of different types of psilocybe mushrooms? Wasson said there was only one - in Mexico. That's why thousands of people travelled to Mexico in the 60s. Who told you and your mates about all these other psilocybin mushrooms?

*shakes head* No, again you're another person who does not understand it since you were not there or using drugs then. By "we" I mean people like myself who in the 60s took drugs and were involved in the counter culture, and how psychedelic drug use exploded back then among all types of people and not just people involved in the counterculture.

Psychedelic mushrooms and their use was not restricted to only Mexico, central American countries, or other countries. It also was not some huge secret that only a few people knew about, and you did not have to travel to Mexico to get them or befriend Native Indians from certain central and south American countries to get them and take them.

Books describing methods of cultivating Psilocybe cubensis in large quantities were also published.

Well there was one book published in 1976. And that was a lot harder to follow than the PF tek. The PF tek came along long after that. But even now - when you can buy supplies with one click on the internet, not many people cultivate their own mushrooms.

In 1965, forensic characterization of psilocybin-containing mushrooms seized from college students in British Columbia identified P. semilanceata[55]—the first recorded case of intentional recreational use of the mushroom in Canada.[56]

Still wondering about this one - LSD wasn't even illegal in 1965 so mushrooms certainly wern't. Who exactly "seized" these mushrooms and under what law?

Apparently, some Peace Corp members were aware of magic mushrooms and knew that some species could be found on cow and horse dung

I think Wasson said that in Life magazine about the mexican mushroom tho. The question is how many people would then go out and eat a mushroom they found growing in dung in Hawaii. Several types of deadly mushroom grow in dung that will kill you in an agonising way.

Last edited: