• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Fashion Designers, Seasons, Trends, Models, & YOU.

gotta show my appreciation for iris van herpen. this sorta stuff gives me chills. use of 3d printing, fabrics, designs, all so forward thinking.

one of my friends and artist for the arty thing had a conference call with iris a couple months ago, because iris was interested in how she was making dresses out of crystal. she's headed to paris this summer, lucky girl. i was hanging out with her roommate when she got the first email setting up the phone call, and she was like hysterically crying and saying she had to call her mom. i was like boo, i totally feel you. just talking about it again gives me goosebumps. there is some morrissey song about how we hate it when our friends become successful. but i don't. i'm mad proud of her.

RIGHT NOW all grimes albums on her band camp are name your own price which means free.

tumblr_n0x3ihriXs1s0axgjo1_500.gif

hell yeah for your friend!

what's band camp? she posts her music to her website for free too. or at least it was last time i was on her site, like a year or years ago. i think she posted free lossless files too. i know she did, because i bought one album out of respect and downloaded the other two. and there no way in fuck that i settled for mp3s of Grimes. before her i had a hard time with the favorite band question. no there's no competition. lots of strong runner ups, but grouped together in a different league. i used to hate her so much. and wanted to like her, because she had pretty song titles and i like finding points of shared interest with fellow bluelighters. best tastes are acquired.

as soon as the sun goes down i'm gonna watch LV. but it's a nice day for the first time in so long. speaking of which, i guess i gotta get in that vegetable thread soon.

i'm not gonna leave this a pictureless post. just fucked up and enjoying the days end before i hit the pretty media.

hell yeah for your friend!

what's band camp? she posts her music to her website for free too. or at least it was last time i was on her site, like a year or years ago. i think she posted free lossless files too. i know she did, because i bought one album out of respect and downloaded the other two. and there no way in fuck that i settled for mp3s of Grimes. before her i had a hard time with the favorite band question. no there's no competition. lots of strong runner ups, but grouped together in a different league. i used to hate her so much. and wanted to like her, because she had pretty song titles and i like finding points of shared interest with fellow bluelighters. best tastes are acquired.

as soon as the sun goes down i'm gonna watch LV. but it's a nice day for the first time in so long. speaking of which, i guess i gotta get in that vegetable thread soon.

i'm not gonna leave this a pictureless post. just fucked up and enjoying the days end before i hit the pretty media.

this post makes me giggle. usually i know straight away when i'm going to love something, like, within the first few seconds. god i remember the first time i watched that video games video of lana's where paz de la huerta drunkenly falls over. no, she's alright. you alright? i mean this is pre hipster run off carles days. instantly head over heels. ugh so good. but the only reason elle fanning is a tracked tag is because of you, hydro. i also track rick owens solely for joe the stoner.

right now i'm having a mild freak out because usually on friday nights before i go out (or even if i'm not going out) i would listen to My Word!, a british grammatical gameshow/fun time from the 1950s on NPR. The BBC has withdrawn the broadcasting rights to the United States so I'm scrambling to find another way to listen to smarty pants humor on friday nights. So far I've found five episodes from the 1950s-60s, but that's only two hours of shows. From a show that lasted like 45 years.Basically it means its time to call in those favors with my expat friends.

random side note here's the sickest instrumental track of all time.

^ fitting one of the illest beats of all time was accompanied by one of the dopest music videos of all time. i recall posting in nemd first time i saw it how it blew me away.

good lookin out on the grimes tip. haven't bumped any in awhile, now is a good time to change that =)

that is beyond awesome about your friend talking to iris and going to paris. can easily understand her reaction. yea, feels good when you see someone getting an opportunity that deserves it.

i learned iris interned @ mcqueen, interesting to find that out. her work does give off a similar vibe, dark and romantic. if sarah burton ever left mcqueen, i could easily imagine iris filling the spot and taking the house into the future. but she is doing amazingly well under he own name, probably for the better. unrestrained creativity.

glad to hear ya finally got some nice weather hydro =) same here, went for a walk earlier and it was just perfect, the breeze felt so good.

faded, in the mood to post... think just my top 3 collections this season with a fav look from each...

numero uno - thom browne. original vision, impeccable craftsmanship,
KIM_1393.450x675.JPG

numero dos - iris van herpen. forward thinking, futuristic.
Iris_van_Herpen_015_1366.450x675.JPG

numero tres - yohji yamamoto. leather cloak depicting doughnut-eating, dagger-wielding ogres. nuff' said.
_ON_0989.450x675.JPG

btw this almond poppy seed muffin is delicious.

Walked for Michael Costello last night for LA Fashion Week. Hopefully will find some photos soon from the runway. The gowns were stunning. He designed Beyonce's Grammy dress this year and I loved it, though it looked pretty familiar to a similar dress I wore by Mother of London in black 3 years prior on a red carpet event.

Best part? Grimes "Oblivion" was playing as I went out on the runway. Red velvet unitard with a silk cape draped around me. Simple, yet elegant. I'm surprised a boob didn't pop out.

Photos post show, on the red carpet. Jumpsuit by NastyGal, and Jeffrey Campbell stilettos in my favorite color. Don't really like the coloration on the photos.. I look pink.

uWWDL0b.jpg

DeP5uba.jpg

^ absolutely fabulous.

i can just imagine Grimes "Oblivion" making it a magical moment. such a great song.

awesome, modelskinny! five minutes on google, and i can't find pics of the show. so i'll wait for you to post. sounds like a great weekend.

that's mercury looking dress from iris van her pen is cool.

elle fanning make it onto your track tags because of me, or does she remain tracked because of me?

to avoid setting any records for photoless posts...

Frida+Gustavsson+backstage+at+Alexander+McQueen+Spring+2012.jpg

frida g backstage at mcqueen spring 2012. rtw, which is ridiculous. maybe one of you posted it in this thread, but i read some article about the dissolving line between rtw and couture recently.

Vogue+Italia+March+2014+‘An+Up-To-Date+Elegance’+-+Malaika+Firth+by+Solve+Sundsbo.jpg

malaika firth by solve sundsbo for Vogue Italia. to early to hunt for the designers. the dress reminds me of valentino. after a moment on google, i strongly suspect valentino spring '14.

Last edited:
nice shots. dig the malaika firth photo, like actual photo how it makes the colors look kinda muted and adds some "age" to it, the design looks like some sort of garment for royalty from the byzantine empire.

the mcqueen headpiece looks so... delicate and for lack of a better word "pretty"

perhaps that was on trend for 2012, rick owens did what he called his "brutalist" veil

tumblr_m09tgyg1es1qepczio1_500.jpg

i read some article about the dissolving line between rtw and couture recently.
yea i recall reading stuff about that as well "demi-couture" here's an article i just pulled up

i can see why it thrived decades ago, even today the client base for couture probably aren't effected by a recession, bad economy, whatever. it's more so just designers pushing the boundary on materials, design techniques, embellishments i think.

i do appreciate the fact there's rules and regulations because this is some historical works of art shit here.

According to Wikipedia, the term haute couture is protected by law in France and is defined by the Paris Chamber of Commerce (Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de Paris). To earn the right to call itself a couture house and to use the term haute couture in its advertising and any other way, a fashion house must follow these rules:

Design made-to-order for private clients, with one or more fittings.
Have a workshop (atelier) in Paris that employs at least fifteen people full-time.
Each season (i.e. twice a year) present a collection to the Paris press, comprising at least thirty-five runs/exits with outfits for both daytime wear and evening wear.

when designers create garments of the same standard? (quality/craftsmanship) not just in paris or fitted for a specific person, that's where the term demi-couture comes in. i think we will see more of these types of creations in the years to come. will haute couture completely fade away ? i doubt it, there will always be rich women who want one of a kind custom made extravagant garments.

Last edited:
"our job as designers is really just to reflect the culture we live in." might be the first time i've ever heard a fashion designer make a concise, intelligent statement. not that i completely agree with it. i like the more complex idea he's blunting. there's magnifications, distortions, etc., which i don't think he means "reflect" to include.

the brutalist veil is a similar opposite of mcqueen's. cool contrast.

that article is along the lines of the one i read, but not the specific article. 2000 hours on a dress. apparently most of the design houses technically lose money on their couture collections these days, but a well received couture collection boosts rtw and other merchandising sales so much that it's worthwhile. for some houses. maybe even another article -- or the same -- talks about a movement of design houses cutting their couture collections because they are no longer profitable, and the result is absurdly ornate rtw collections.

i love couture and rtw. high fashion is in no way restricted by practicality. who wants to see "wearable" valentino? buyers? fortunately they have no idea what wearable clothes are and continue to support an industry that creates such pretty images. "pretty" is a wonderful word. one of the best.

ondria is pretty.

from a photographers tumblr blog...

jenna+elizabeth+ondria+hardin+prada+fw+15+shoot.jpg

caption says, "A moment from my shoot with Ondria the new face of Prada…" what's that mean? she already get the f/w 14/15 campaign? and someone named jenna elizabeth is shooting it? i don't think so. but that'd be cool if she got the f/w campaign. one last touch of controversy before she turns 18. her prada f/w '11 campaign and thylane's Vouge Paris shoot spurred "How Prada and Vogue Use Ch*ld P*rn to Normalize Anorexia" from cbs news. "just to reflect the culture we live in." pretty.

much better photography...

ondria+hardin+grey+magazine+FEDERICA+FIORAVANTI.jpg

backstage at alberta ferretti by federica fioravanti for Grey Magazine (online). the shots where she's actually wearing alberta ferretti have me nervous. i haven't seen the show yet. the spring 14 line is so much fun. not sure this is promising...

alberta+ferretti+ondria+hardin+grey+magazine+FEDERICA+FIORAVANTI..jpg

but a well received couture collection boosts rtw and other merchandising sales so much that it's worthwhile.
true, that's a good point. don't know if it's a shame that a couture show is just marketing to sell perfumes and bags. im just glad in someway it's still being shown at all.
her prada f/w '11 campaign and thylane's Vouge Paris shoot spurred "How Prada and Vogue Use Ch*ld P*rn to Normalize Anorexia" from cbs news.
i gave it a look. interesting to find it was by steven meisel, he is probably my favorite fashion photographer that is alive and working today. he has courted controversy over a recent vogue italia spread, won't even get into the details cause it's such a bs claim. i won't deny it exists but fashion is such an easy target sometimes i just roll my eyes. some writers/reporters, just twist shit to stir up controversy and get page views i think...

PIERRE ALEXANDRE DE LOOZ: Yves Saint Laurent was a pioneer for casting black models and it’s as if his death marks a narrowing perspective.

STEVEN MEISEL: Fashion was much more open in the ’70s, and even in the ’80s, which is insane. Today, it’s totally closed down and worse than it has ever been. Look at your ads and you don’t see any black girls, maybe once in a blue moon. Look at editorials; once in a while they allow it. And on the runways they just replace one with another. That’s all I saw in all of the cities. It is very disheartening.

bonus clip for the lulz

Last edited:
yoooo. today, the 17th of march a post to one of the best to ever do it!

Lee Alexander McQueen, CBE (17 March 1969 – 11 February 2010)

tumblr_n1wyue9YeC1rxaxgfo1_500.jpg

you keep the weirdest hours. happy bday, mcqueen. i didn't realize he had passed. fun, out there collections and shows.

i usually get a kick out of it. until my favorite girl can't walk london, thylane's mom pulls the plug, and nyc starts talking 18+. i read that the no minor law had actually passed, but definitely wasn't the case at nyfw.

i've noticed this disproportion of black girls in the fashion industry.

nyasha+matonhodze+oscar+de+la+renta+fw.jpg

nyasha backstage at an oscar de la renta show.

backstage at some other show...

nyasha+matonhodze.jpeg

by rokas darulis for Playing Fashion Magazine...

Nyasha+Matonhodze+@+Elite+London+by+Rokas+Darulis+for+Playing+Fashion+Magazine.jpg

doesn't matter when you're that pretty, but she has weird ears.

Last edited:
i'm fucking LOVING the dior "beauty" gifs. so hunty (which is a word that is sneaking into my vocabulary more and more often these days, damn these fag blogs i'm following and their obsession with it!) i don't care if its a planned campaign for the internet or not it's awesome. here's sasha luss in a bunch.

tumblr_n2eg88kP4k1qgirk6o1_500.gif

tumblr_n2cvizLPOk1ryc6sso1_500.gif

tumblr_n2cvizLPOk1ryc6sso3_500.gif

xiao wen did some too but i can't find hers :(

what's a planned campaign? the word "hunty" or creating fashion videos with their gif-potential in mind? i bet the latter happens. cool video and gifs. well actually i don't care for anything she's wearing. but whatever. sasha is a goodie.

i bought the spring/summer issue of Garage Magazine today. because they still don't have the new issue of Self Service. i thought i needed a new fashion magazine tonight. bedtime isn't that far away and i haven't opened it yet. the bit a saw at the store suggested it was worth shutting and taking home.

its miu miu ad doesn't include elle. her's are not in any of the spring/summer issues i've bought. kinda driving me crazy.

^ that issue sounds pretty sweet, especially the david bailey contribution. he's the photographer that inspired the character in the film, "blow up"

love seeing major houses using gifs. burberry tweets gifs from their shows.

<3 nyasha. recall her in wildfox resort lookbook.

tumblr_mu81g7BEAk1rr744fo1_1280.jpg

nothing says spring like floral prints...

* man, look at that pellegrino product placement. o_O

Last edited:
Found some photos from LAFW. The first is from Michael Costello's collection... don't know how I feel about it and definitely not stoked that my face looks green. The second is for Mr Triple X. Hadn't heard of him until this season.

1HxJSp3.png

vcOVoaR.jpg

Last edited:
yea, that first photo isn't very well edited. but the outfit is fun.

that shoot of nyasha for wildfox is a guilty pleasure.

^ that issue sounds pretty sweet, especially the david bailey contribution. he's the photographer that inspired the character in the film, "blow up"
i haven't gotten to the david bailey editorial yet, but mothfucker. i just saw a thumbnail of the other cover. i didn't even realize that there were two covers and wasn't gonna complain about a karlie cover. big fucking oops...

cara+by+nick+knight+on+the+Garage+cover+i+should+have+gotten.jpg

the top -- felder felder -- is stupid.[it's grown on me.] so is whatever karlie is wearing. [same.] this is a much better picture of cara. it's a cooler cover. whatever is on her hand -- eddie borgo -- is fun and goes with her look. i even like the mock-christ headband by phoebe english. and cara is just better than karlie.

that's not behind the counter material at all at this store. so they didn't have the cara cover. so whatever. i guess. even though nick knight seems to be all about the editing of his photos, and the way this version of the photo is finished is different than in the editorial. Garage is printed in quality, so i don't need to compare to know no online copy compares. whatever. still excited about the inside content, which i'm about to get back to.

Last edited:
^ i wouldn't feel too bad, i like the karlie cover very much =) before i read your post my eyes were instantly drawn to the jewelry on her hand, wicked. true about knight editing his photos, done to perfection imo on both covers, like the way the aura surrounds them. i like that visually more so on the karlie cover (lol i first typed cover as "kover") but yea, cara wins on styling points.

browsing what i could find of it on tumblr. hoping to be impressed, and sure enough, i was.
why am i just now finding out about adwoa aboah :?

Adwoa Aboah in “Photosynyhesis” / Photographed by Tyrone Lebon / For Garage Magazine Spring/Summer 2014

so dope!

o0o just browsing visual optimism and found another spread with the eddie borgo piece.

tumblr_n2xkubpJDz1tw56nbo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
whoa, hidden content.

thylane is on the april cover of Jalouse. the subheadline translates to "the new kate moss." great. every google result includes "controversy." the photographer isn't yet named. hope the actual editorial is good. i've seen good out of Jalouse. not going to waste a thylane photo post on an over retouched cover. in lieu...

thylane.jpg

probably by dani. cropped. thylane photos are difficult, and i can't find a real copy of the full photo.