• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Depression Medication, Therapy & Alternative Treatment

After years of intermittent courses of fluoxetine, I have given up on pharm anti-depressants as a: SSRI's stop ees from working and b: with benzodiazepines to control my anxiety, I have found that cannabis is the most effective drug for improving my mood. Even when the fluoxetine was at its optimal effect, the improvement in my mood and motivation felt totally artificial as you are still constantly aware of a drug effect at the back of your brain, a distinct enactogenic / stimulating sensation that is more subtle but in the same region of what an amphetamine would produce. The only real benefit was when it was combined with good quality crack, it flooded my brain instantly with dopamine, creating a short lived but distinct MDMA type effect. Good, but crack is as waste of money so it always seemed easier to fuck it and the Prozac off and just take a pill, cutting the middleman out.

I can't comment on MAOIs or tricyclics (Ive never used even a tablet of amitriptyline as a sleep aid) so I cant comment on their efficacy, all I can say is that in my 10 years as a mental health practitioner SSRI's and SNRI's were always first line treatments for depression.

Although Ive never been treated with it or practiced it myself, Id say CBT is the only real solution to alot of depressive illnesses.

The afterglow from MXE is a good anti depressant. it saved me

Thanks for comment, Dan <3 that's interesting that you should that as I know others have benefited from MXE i. Feeling that it improved their mental-health. How long does the afterglow last for n do you feel it differed in length or intensity each time you used it?.
will post to you in Gibz 1 min x

Evey

The OP is looking much better after the re-write, Evey, but one thing I would suggest is that the list of medications may cause a little confusion here in EADD as they are mostly American brandnames. I only know a few off the top of my head but many of those go by different names in the UK (and presumably worldwide) but as the majority of EADD posters are UK-based it may be a good idea to include the UK brand names alongside the actual drug name. That's probably something that would work itself out over time as people discuss any meds they may be on but thought it worth pointing out that in some cases UK-based posters may not recognise the meds they are prescribed where the brandname differs from the American branding used in the OP. If I were making a thread like this myself I personally wouldn't include a list of drugs as it's not like people can pick and choose what they are prescribed but maybe that's just me.

I'll have a preen of the lists a lil' later on and dig up US/UK/Euro/AUS-patented compound medications.
May have the added bonus of allowing one to list the extra matter/excipient matter. :)

I'll have a preen of the lists a lil' later on and dig up US/UK/Euro/AUS-patented compound medications.
May have the added bonus of allowing one to list the extra matter/excipient matter. :)

Are you ok bruv? <3

I'm going to be working on the therapies particular CBT as that seems to be what most go for these day. Will put a bit about the history n different approaches. If anyone has had CBT n would like me to include a note of whether it's been of benefit to you please post your message here n I'll include it.

If any has had other therapy / counselling that has helped n if wish for it to be included i'll include that or pm me if you want it anonymous.

MDB you've done the same counselling courses as me so if you feel anything needs adding or is wrong please let me know. I've always valued your opinion
----

This us nearly sorted now so anyone wanting to discuss n support one another I hope you fine find benefit.

I'm on week two of sertralibe so will let people know of how I feel on it on week which is how long it takes. But i hope this domehow helps people xxxx

I think that before GPs prescribe antidepressants that they should ask clients to write a food diary or at least give them a food programme to see if a change of diet improves on their mood. Obviously Depression isn't this straight foward n I apologise if I offend anyone. My concern is that in this day n age it seems that medication seems to be the first resource which is a shame. Unfortunately no lpnger a student I don't have access to journals n various studies. If anyone does n feels that they'd be relevant here please include them :)

I've never looked at food n the affect it has on mood before - I've only looked at it in connection with weight management. My concern is that not eceryone needs antidepressants n they can sometimes make the issue worst i feel that other factors are overlooked such the environment n diet. Also there's no definite proof that serotonin n other neurotransmitters, is the cause of depression (I'm aware that I'm taking SSRIs but trying to take an objective viewpoint here).

What are your thoughts? Do you feel that antidepressant medication is over prescribed? What do you feel that a GP should do when a patient goes there with symptoms of Depression?

Thanks:) xxxx That's very kind <3 I'm only really learning about the others now. I've found these list from wikipedia. I really only recognise the American versions because most of these chat sites have Americans n this is one of the reasons that I prefer to stay in EADD because i have to explain to people how different the support / names / services are from theirs (eg suboxone) because theu can suupport me or I, them.

Evey

Last edited:
Can I have a little help getting this thread started please? I've filled most of the content but not much traffic yet?

Evey

...I think the antidepressants are another big Pharma rip off. I will go into that later if you interested. This rant helps. Good luck in this wonderful idea

I tried so many antidepressants and agree with you they just don't work.

After years of intermittent courses of fluoxetine...
I think the issue is that GPs (doctors) prescribe flouxetine only, and in my experience it can be tricky to convince them to use other drugs. I am glad we can discuss other antidepressants in this thread.

Nootropics can really help.

Aniracetam almost completey eliminates anxiety, and Fasoracetam and L-theaine will largely eliminate depression/balance your mood.

Aniracetam almost completey eliminates anxiety, and Fasoracetam and L-theaine will largely eliminate depression/balance your mood.

Interesting I'm supposed to be on seroquel but can't take them due to stomach/kidney/groin pain. I wonder would these taken together do as good a job while being less of a game of ever increasing doses and diminishing results?

Interesting I'm supposed to be on seroquel but can't take them due to stomach/kidney/groin pain. I wonder would these taken together do as good a job while being less of a game of ever increasing doses and diminishing results?

It's not going to work for everyone, but it's worth seeing if you're one of the people they do work for. I certainly have more faith in nootropics though, and that faith has paid off.

Just a heads up BTW - because 99% of doctors wouldn't pick up on this - but have you considered that the pain is caused by food allergens being present in the tablets; most likely lactose? I've developed a few food allergies these past few years and I think they're possibly caused by candida abicans. Either way, tablets are now a no go for me.

Buspirone I found is fantastic for anxiety. Personally I don't often suffer from it thankfully but I know a fair few people that do. I've tried it and found it to be quite useful. I've also seen how useful it's been to others who have been given it.

It has no recreational value so there really isn't a potential for abuse. Worth speaking to a doctor about if you suffer from anxiety and have explored other treatments.

UGH, I sound like a pharm rep. I think I need a shower now....

It's worth reading articles about the "serotonin myth of depression". Seems all of the "serotonin" type depressants were never any more effective than sugar pills right from big pharma's original testing results that they buried.

Interesting theory Ismene. For those a bit lazy here are the top 6 articles from a quick google search re: serotonin myth of depression

The last one is from the Mail so.... read at your own risk.

Some interesting articles and something to think about / debate.

It's worth reading articles about the "serotonin myth of depression". Seems all of the "serotonin" type depressants were never any more effective than sugar pills right from big pharma's original testing results that they buried.
I have personally found Lexapro to be extremely effective at treating depression. It certainly was not a placebo effect. I would be interested in seeing any peer reviewed journal articles to back up your statement.

I didn't click the links sadie put up. There is apparently some evidence for this theory. I dont have the time to go searching for journal articles now but when i was studying mental health nursing we had to do an assignment on ssri and anti psychotic medications, how they worked etc. There was quite a lot of evidence supporting their use. Personally i found that particular agent Lexapro very effective for me. Not everyone is going to respond to medication. The human brain is a complex thing that is only understood to a certain level. The medications certainly work for some people. So does ECT though science does not understand why but it is clearly effective for some people. There is nothing black and white in mental health.

The last one is from the Mail so.... read at your own risk.

Some interesting articles and something to think about / debate.

I read a few articles you found and I am confident that supplementing Serotonin levels is not going to cure any depression. Yep, I have not conducted a nationwide study, but I meet 20 to 40 people on Serotonin and all of them say that it is not working. I tried Serotonin drugs as well and did not feel a jot. Maybe dopamine is the key in the fight against depression?

I have personally found Lexapro to be extremely effective at treating depression. It certainly was not a placebo effect. I would be interested in seeing any peer reviewed journal articles to back up your statement.

Well, like I said do a google search on the "serotonin myth of depression" to get started - then you can search for something about the scandal a year or two ago when bigpharma's own tests were leaked showing no SSRI depressant was more effective than a sugar pill.

Yip, I'm yet to meet anybody who was anxious/depressed and found any kind of relief from SSRI's/SNRI's. If anything they were usually somewhat disturbed that they'd caused any kind of long term damage or worsened/perpetuated their own depression.

The brain is so ridiculously complex. But serotonin analogues > enhanced serotonin levels. ;)