• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Depression after LSD use

everytime ive dropped acid, ive felt positively amazing the next day.
but i feel kinda depressed a lot of the time otehrwise>

wow really? Serotonin has a lot to do with depression... that and dopamine. They pretty much affect each other though. If you're dopamine is down, so will serotonin, and vice versa. It's not just "a myth", it's pretty ridiculous to say that.

Yeah, I used to think that - then I read up on it a little and found it was complete bollocks propaged by the pharmacorp to make a fortune. Here's a link to some articles on the topic:

Owing to a huge advertising push by drug companies, not only the 'man on the street', but also a surprisingly large numbers of mental health professionals believe that depression is linked to 'low serotonin' in the brain.

The only drawback to this neat sounding theory is that it is almost completely unsupported by empirical evidence or scientific studies.

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/01/depression_antidepr.html

Tried LSD for the first time on Friday. Saturday and Sunday were pretty down or should I say dazed and confused? But I didn't sleep much so maybe that was why...

Monday and forth are all good. :)

no worries mate, Alot of times its just sadness that the experience didn't last long enough, kinda like when you come down on mdma. You get sad because the good times have already happened, and wont happen again until you injest more LSD.

I know this post is old now but I thought I'd share a little story. Last year I did a couple of hundred hits of acid over an 8 month period. Durring that time, I would have mild anxiety and depression following larger doses. At the end of that binge, I had a trip where I felt nothing but anxious the whole time, and since then my anxiety has been high, along with a fairly pronounced depression. I have been treated for depression effectively with SSRI's and so I know that they would work, but I've been trying to overcome the mood disorder by more natural means (exercise/meditation/dietary). After many months of battling I believe I will be going back on SSRI's as I have had success for whatever reason. I don't beleive LSD can cause a problem like anxiety or depression, but if overdone acid can exacerbate preexisting conditions. I would advice caution to anyone with a condition who is trying acid, and I would advise against regular use altogether. Keep your head up though, there's always a solution.

Personally I feel reset or reborn as well after acid, but then again I have never been clinically depressed, only troubled about my personal situation.

Acid appears to be able to normalize or neutralize certain mental baggage that has built up by therapeutic catharsis for instance, or maybe even as a basic aspect of its effects, but it can also precipitate what is hiding under the surface and yes that might be depression or something else.

Be aware of signals that might tell you how you are feeling under the surface and be truthful about it. I think that is a classic part of mindset (and thus set & setting) which you should gauge before tripping.

I seem to recall this one particular user who was recently complaining about really depressed symptoms or anhedonia, with a strong touch of hypochondria and opened a few threads about it here.

I know Exactly what the OP is going through.

Had my first hit last thursday evening, and it went pretty bad. Like I got sucked into my own thaughts and started thinking i was going crazy.

Ive been feeling anxious and depressed since. Like not knowing what to do.

I really do hope this effect wears off though. Because it aint a nice feeling whatsoever.

why would you ask for sources? the comment he made was fucking stupid. its basic science. depression has different causes. some from a lack of dopamine such as mine. some are a lack of seritonin like my buddy's.

What Ismene said wasn't stupid, he was probably referring to the case study that came out a while ago about a man who was incapable of producing serotonin and dopamine but did not suffer from depression.

Check it out:

Neuroskeptic covers a fascinating case of a man born with a genetic mutation meaning he had a severe lifelong deficiency of both serotonin and dopamine.

The case report concerns a gentleman with sepiapterin reductase deficiency, a genetic condition which prevents the production of the enzyme sepiapterin reductase which is essential in the synthesis of both dopamine and serotonin.

The most widely recognised symptoms of the condition, linked to the deficiency in dopamine which has an important role in controlling movement, are problems coordinating both conscious movements and the unconscious control of muscles that allows simple actions. Unconscious control requires that the brain signals one muscle to contract while releasing the complementary muscle, and problems with this process cause spasticity.

The effects the condition on serotonin, often stereotyped as the ‘happy chemical’, are less well known, but in this case it was clear that the patient wasn’t depressed but did some other difficulties:

These included increased appetite – he ate constantly, and was moderately obese – mild cognitive impairment, and disrupted sleep:

“The patient reported sleep problems since childhood. He would sleep 1 or 2 times every day since childhood and was awake during more than 2 hours most nights since adolescence. At the time of the first interview, the night sleep was irregular with a sleep onset at 22:00 and offset between 02:00 and 03:00. He often needed 1 or 2 spontaneous, long (2- to 5-h) naps during the daytime.”

After doctors did a genetic test and diagnosed SRD, they treated him with 5HTP, a precursor to serotonin. The patient’s sleep cycle immediately normalized, his appetite was reduced and his concentration and cognitive function improved (although that may have been because he was less tired)…

Overall, though, the biggest finding here was a non-finding: this patient wasn’t depressed, despite having much reduced serotonin levels. This is further evidence that serotonin isn’t the “happy chemical” in any simple sense.

This is another piece of evidence against the common myth that depression is “caused by low serotonin”
although Neuroskeptic speculates whether the link between disrupted sleep and depression may indicate an effect of serotonin dysfnction.

Source

I always feel great too :). Everyone is fine, no worries with this drug... seriously. Just use in moderation and evrything should be fine. If it's not, then there's something your not dealing with and the cid's making you tap into that unconscious part. Some people might not like what they find, but that's what it's all about man. Fixing and moving on. A clean conscious is a clean soul...Then have great trips and love life:)

I def feel a little blue sometimes after I dose. Its normal just space out ur doses and be respinsible and should go away failry quickly.

depression has different causes. some are a lack of seritonin like my buddy's.

Do a search on the "serotonin myth of depression".

The latest antidepressants are serotonin reuptake enhancers which work by decreasing the amount of serotonin in your brain, so forget any fucking horseshit you've been told that it's a "lack of serotonin" that causes depression - there is no evidence to support this whatsoever. It's complete and utter dung.

http://www.badscience.net/2008/01/washing-the-numbers-selling-the-model/

6 days after I had my first dose. Still feeling very anxious and down.
Would it be all in my head or what?

Ismene said:
Yeah, I used to think that - then I read up on it a little and found it was complete bollocks propaged by the pharmacorp to make a fortune. Here's a link to some articles on the topic:

Owing to a huge advertising push by drug companies, not only the 'man on the street', but also a surprisingly large numbers of mental health professionals believe that depression is linked to 'low serotonin' in the brain.

The only drawback to this neat sounding theory is that it is almost completely unsupported by empirical evidence or scientific studies.

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/01/depression_antidepr.html

There's a lot of truth to what you say. Although I think for the most part, mental health professionals these days are becoming more aware of the flaws and the gross oversimplification inherent in theories like the catecholamine hypothesis of depression or the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia. I agree that these theories epitomize the reductionist tendencies of modern psychiatry and are horribly inadequate for explaining mental illness. But to say it's as simple as manipulation by corrupt drug companies may be a bit over the top. Perhaps it has come to that since it is in their favor to perpetuate these myths, but initially it was psychiatric researchers that were mislead into hypothesizing that chemical imbalances caused mental illness.

The myth arose in the 1960s, around the time that it was discovered that antipsychotics antagonize dopamine receptors. However, the subsequent deduction that overactivity of dopamine neurotransmission was therefore responsible for psychosis is a non sequitur. An equally plausible alternative – that antipsychotics induce a state of neurologic suppression that reduces the impact of psychotic symptoms – was, for whatever reason, never seriously considered. Another plausible therapeutic mechanism could be via the emotion flattening induced by antipsychotics, rather than treatment of the underlying disorder.

The same goes for the catecholamine hypothesis of depression. The idea that depression is due to deficiencies in serotonin and norepinephrine is misguided at best, machiavellian at worst. Advertising campaigns have been effective in persuading millions that mental disorders are caused by chemical imbalances, which can be corrected by drugs. But you are correct, there is no solid evidence that this is the case. That said, the drugs still retain their efficacy, despite our inability to understand how they work. No psychiatric drug is perfect (few drugs in medicine are), but many people are helped through neuropharmacology.

wiki said:
According to critics, the chemical imbalance hypothesis has been overpromoted and continues to be advanced as factual by pharmaceutical companies. They believe the general population and many journalists have accepted this hypothesis into their understanding of mental illness uncritically.[11] They have pointed to the lack of an established chemical balance (without which, they claim, the notion of an "imbalance" is meaningless). Certain pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer continue to promote drugs like Zoloft with advertisements asserting that mental illness may be due to chemical imbalances in the brain, and that their drugs work to "correct" this imbalance.[12] Most academics believe that the advertisements are oversimplified and don't fully explain what is happening.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_imbalance

wiki said:
In the past two decades, research has uncovered multiple limitations of the monoamine hypothesis, and its inadequacy has been criticized within the psychiatric community.[10] Intensive investigation has failed to find convincing evidence of a primary dysfunction of a specific monoamine system in patients with major depressive disorders. The antidepressants that do not act through the monoamine system, such as tianeptine and opipramol, have been known for a long time. Experiments with pharmacological agents that cause depletion of monoamines have shown that this depletion does not cause depression in healthy people nor does it worsen the symptoms in depressed patients.[11][12] Already limited, the monoamine hypothesis has been further oversimplified when presented to the general public.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_of_depression#Monoamine_hypothesis

6 days after I had my first dose. Still feeling very anxious and down.
Would it be all in my head or what?

Time heals. Just try your best to get back into a healthy routine and the negative feelings will eventually fade.

Time heals. Just try your best to get back into a healthy routine and the negative feelings will eventually fade.

Yeah Im trying that! A lot of the time I just feel like doing nothing though. Which is weird for me. And I know this isn't normal after LSD use.

wow really? Serotonin has a lot to do with depression... that and dopamine. They pretty much affect each other though. If you're dopamine is down, so will serotonin, and vice versa. It's not just "a myth", it's pretty ridiculous to say that.

And if you're up late and don't get much sleep... well that affects your serotonin. So that could be it. Or it could be just the stress that is caused on your brain from the trip. You'll be fine though. Just get exercise eat healthy, and SLEEP!

http://mindhacks.com/2010/03/09/a-man-with-virtually-no-serotonin-or-dopamine/

depression can be caused by long term benzo use

lack of serotonin is more linked to probelms with concentration/excessive appetites/sleep disorders/aggression/ocd than depression as a concept

don't drop acid if your depressed/anxious

I agree. An acid trip is not something to take lightly. It's not like weed. Acid trips always need preparation beforehand or you can reap the consequences.

Next time you trip plan it way beforehand. Setting, people, your mood. Get yourself in better mood and shape.

Just my two cents. Acid is IMO the best drug but also requires the most responsibility.

and this:

Also, good talk on ADs. Total BS and just a big money maker for the big pharma. Exercise has been shown to be more effective than any AD w/o all the insane side effects.

Last edited: