View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Depression after LSD use

thesoundofmotion

Bluelighter
My other thread I started I was curious about what other chemicals could go on to blotter.

Anyways the other day I tripped (about 48 hours ago) and I've been feeling a real bad depression/anxiety since I came down.

Is this usual?

I was depressed beforehand but it seems like it is worse now.

I'm wondering if I fucked up my serotonin levels. I also take klonopin daily (for many years), but I've got such a tolerance it does not work anymore.

Please help.

I'm always slightly blue the day after an acid trip. I'm back to my regular sparkly self after another solid night's sleep though. I think you'll be fine shortly.

I was reading about serotonin syndrome before and that was scaring the shit out of me.

I don't think I have that though even though I have a few of the symptoms.

Fairly certain that you don't have to worry about serotonin syndrome unless you're taking an SSRI or another drug that manipulates serotonin levels. I've never heard of a case of LSD alone causing the illness.

personally if i have a good trip i don't get depressed after..; but its happened when i had a bad trip i was depressed afterwards

If you were experiencing real serotonin syndrome symptoms you would likely be wanting to go to a hospital.

These things happen after inducing pretty much any kind of serotonin agonist. I imagine that it is worse for people who tend to be depressive.

Lately I've been bummed out and feeling lethargic over the crazy oil leak that's already hitting part of Florida's gulf coast where I reside, so I said fock it and asked my friend for some acid. I fully expect to be depressed while both on and off acid, I only expect it to make passing these dark times a little easier. A low dose of LSD, a little ice scream, and some good movies and music is all I need.

I would probably stop taking klonopin too, unless you use it to keep from having seizures.

If you were somewhat depressed before, it's likely that the acid just enhanced your perception of the that state. If this is the case, it should go away within a week I'd suppose. I can't see any physiological explanation for it, but then again I'm no expert in that area...

you're just thinkning too much into this bro

While not a very insightful answer (sorry Sega =D), he is right. It's the serotonin, stupid!

I wouldn't worry... If it persists, maybe you need to reevaluate how you're living and make the necessary changes. Whatever irks you tends to get amplified one-thousandfold.

Good luck and feel better, I have been there. Try not to work yourself deeper into a rut, it's pointless.

I always feel a bit different the day after - sometimes down, sometimes happy and energetic. I find it depends a bit on how the trip went and also on what I'm doing the day after.

Don't worry about it, definitely not serotonin syndrome :D

hahaha. no need for alarm. any substance, whether its your klonopin you take daily or simply smokin a cig, has an impact on your mind. its like getting the shit scared out of you or being anxious about somethin comin up. they are stimulus'. they cause your brain to secrete dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, etc. so anytime you do any drug, your brain gets confused because your hormones are all out of whack. so for the next couple days to a couple of weeks your brain will re-adjust and balance out. examples being like this instance- being down a day or two after doing lsd, or being angry that days after doing opiates

I don't think it's got anything to do with serotonin - it's been conclusively proved that serotonin has fuck-all to do with depression. It's just a myth the pharmacorps have pushed to make enormous profits.

LSD can make you feel blue afterwards because you're often up late, don't get much sleep etc.

I don't think it's got anything to do with serotonin - it's been conclusively proved that serotonin has fuck-all to do with depression. It's just a myth the pharmacorps have pushed to make enormous profits.

LSD can make you feel blue afterwards because you're often up late, don't get much sleep etc.

wow really? Serotonin has a lot to do with depression... that and dopamine. They pretty much affect each other though. If you're dopamine is down, so will serotonin, and vice versa. It's not just "a myth", it's pretty ridiculous to say that.

And if you're up late and don't get much sleep... well that affects your serotonin. So that could be it. Or it could be just the stress that is caused on your brain from the trip. You'll be fine though. Just get exercise eat healthy, and SLEEP!

Sources.

i've found that i can feel down or depressed the day after an acid trip, but mainly if i did a lot of "work" during the trip. work being ego/mind/love kinda stuff. the next couple of days can be difficult, mainly cuz i need to process all the work i did, and determine what i need to actually focus on, and what's less vital. i usually end up learning a fair bit about myself, not always good stuff, and it takes time to process and integrate that material. so yeah, a couple of days of downtime can happen, but i don't worry too much about it. it tends to lead to good stuff in the end!

Although for the rest of the day after a long trip, such as on 2c-e or acid, that leaves me mentally exhausted, I may feel burnt out and withdrawn, I always feel better the next day, and for the days after.

Tripping can give you the paradigm shift needed to change your outlook and pull you out of depression, but a bad trip can do the opposite.

why would you ask for sources? the comment he made was fucking stupid. its basic science. depression has different causes. some from a lack of dopamine such as mine. some are a lack of seritonin like my buddy's. some have nothing to do with either. depression is one of the most mis-diagnosed conditions today. and because you cant test hormone levels in your head readily you have to rely on the person's testimony. and people of this day in age are uneducated and assume too, too much. even worse is a large portion of todays family doctors dont even know what they're doing. they carry around a lil book to explain what to prescribe. yet they dont have any recollection of their college education in biochemistry to understand the effects of a drug. piss poor

why would you ask for sources? the comment he made was fucking stupid. its basic science. depression has different causes. some from a lack of dopamine such as mine. some are a lack of seritonin like my buddy's. some have nothing to do with either. depression is one of the most mis-diagnosed conditions today. and because you cant test hormone levels in your head readily you have to rely on the person's testimony. and people of this day in age are uneducated and assume too, too much. even worse is a large portion of todays family doctors dont even know what they're doing. they carry around a lil book to explain what to prescribe. yet they dont have any recollection of their college education in biochemistry to understand the effects of a drug. piss poor

lol I was just wondering what he was basing it on, I know it's not true. Just like you knowing which neurotransmitter is causing your depression. I guess in this day and age people should be as educated as you.