• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

depersonilization.... Describe yours

pmz

Bluelighter
This is for the guys who have had bad reactions with MDMA. Whats your DP feel like. I feel like mine is starting to get way better. I have no anxiety and my brain fog is really lifting. Like I can actually do some technical work and concentrate. But I still feel very numb with my emotions. Music, activities, movies dont really excite me or get me amped. I went to club a few weeks ago, and felt bored and forced my self to dance and have a good time. I played paintball the other day and it was weird. I was able to really enjoy my day, but that adrenalin one would normally get from a sport like that was way lower. I had to almost concentrate on how it felt to actually feel it. Music is a big thing to me. songs that I love dont have that magic feeling to it. I get nothing from a build up or drop, which is all I want back. My vision is still weird and foreign. And talking to people the things I say still feel distant, but thats actually gotten alot better.

Its been about 6.5 months since this shit happened.

So does this sound similar to what anyone is/has experienced. Emotional reaction and feelings are just numb? Like Im not really depressed, well sometimes I am. I feel more bored with normally fun things than depressed is a better way to describe it.

When the DP goes away, will the emotional response to music and everything else get better? Does legitimate excitement return?

for me it took about 3 months or so to begin to scratch the surface of clearing it up. That 3rd month was by far the worst. Significant changes weren't really noticeable until about 9 months later when i knew i was much, much better. its different for each person though, and a lot of these feelings may be eased simply by ignoring the immediate impulse to blame everything on DP. I found that things were much harder for me to become immersed in whenever i kept thinking in the back of my mind that "my brain is fucked up and i can't enjoy anything". i started by exercising and playing games of basketball. it felt strange at first but eventually after about a month of playing 4 times a week i started getting into it, and enjoying it. like you, it was kind of forcing myself to become immersed in the activity at hand but eventually, it became involuntary second nature, just like everything will with enough time and patience. for me, it has been 11 months since i last touched MDMA, over a year since i tripped, and now going on 3 months without smoking any weed. I have absolutely no desire or intentions to go back to doing any of those things ever again.

I am not quite there yet, but about 95%. I certainly have my spurts of anxiety and depressive feelings but i am also able to focus on personal goals and future life plans for myself instead of just being in that loop of anxiety produced from anxiety. Just hang in there, it gets better over time. Much better. Many people have gone through the same thing we have and come out just fine. Even some of the most severe cases have come back to be better than ever before. My mind is definitely sharper than ever, and I don't suspect you will be any different from these trends.

I had more DR than DP although I had both in the beginning. DR recovery for me was very gradual because once you get used to it your anxiety stops feeding it and it slowly fades away. I still get a 30 second spell of DR here and there but I can tell you first hand that the less attention you give it, the better you get and the quicker your recovery goes.

Acceptance is really hard, you have to truly let go, which for me was dealing with my fears that I was stuck with bad DR for the rest of my life. Once I realized it was not a big deal, I wasn't scared and the next think I knew it was gone.

I tried MDMA again a few months after i recovered and triggered some major DR, but because I knew how to deal with it, it went away very quickly compared to my first comedown.

^Pretty much described the type of experience that makes the chances of me not rolling again 100% vs 99%. the fear that this may happen again even after a very small, responsible dose far outweighs the possible few hours of euphoria. Even weed somewhat triggered it for me later on in the process of recovery. Hence why i quit everything (except occasional drinking and those stupid fucking cigarettes once a week.)

It took me an extensively long period of time however I was a big alcoholic and still am. After I stopped taking pills and stopped gambling and went through therapy, 1 - 2 years later I thought it would be an awesome idea to get me and my ex mate hooked on speed as I knew it left you more in control. How wrong I was, lucky enough the addiction remained a weekend habbit and then bang we quit. The dealer we had stopped selling and that was that. A couple of months later I finished my Masters degree and was jobeless for too long, I often attributed this to speed as in my last semester, I was using the stuff and it was messing with my sleeping way too much and I'd be drained of energy, it also amplified my anxiety some what as well as depression, although I put on more of a show for this to get extensions for uni assignments so I could party more :(

Here I am now 2 years later and I have a job, no more drugs besides booze which is another story I am trying to end. I think with time, everything clears, you've just got to understand you're going through a process and that it will be ok if you hang in there.

the last year i just couldnt play my mp3 or play my guitar, music was empty, was a remember of a good time i didnt want to remember...i recover the music response this year, and this months this feeling makes me fly like on time it did to me :).

For me the DP/DR went away as soon as I adressed my fears/overcame my anxiety. It was a sign that I wasn't happy with where my life was going and slow but steady as my attitude changed and my anxiety faded so did the depersonalization. I think more often then not it's a byproduct that is caused by something else rather then a seperate symptom

I am not quite there yet, but about 95%. I certainly have my spurts of anxiety and depressive feelings but i am also able to focus on personal goals and future life plans for myself instead of just being in that loop of anxiety produced from anxiety. Just hang in there, it gets better over time. Much better. Many people have gone through the same thing we have and come out just fine. Even some of the most severe cases have come back to be better than ever before. My mind is definitely sharper than ever, and I don't suspect you will be any different from these trends.
This is about where I am but I've been rolling ridiculously and can't help but wonder if my anxiety is normal for an individual with my set of stressors not to mention benzo withdrawal. Between work, college, and some other shit I think it does me more good than harm to have a moment of zen and escape my mind whenever time permits.

Diet and exercise has done wonders for me though.

for me it took about 3 months or so to begin to scratch the surface of clearing it up. That 3rd month was by far the worst. Significant changes weren't really noticeable until about 9 months later when i knew i was much, much better. its different for each person though, and a lot of these feelings may be eased simply by ignoring the immediate impulse to blame everything on DP. I found that things were much harder for me to become immersed in whenever i kept thinking in the back of my mind that "my brain is fucked up and i can't enjoy anything". i started by exercising and playing games of basketball. it felt strange at first but eventually after about a month of playing 4 times a week i started getting into it, and enjoying it. like you, it was kind of forcing myself to become immersed in the activity at hand but eventually, it became involuntary second nature, just like everything will with enough time and patience. for me, it has been 11 months since i last touched MDMA, over a year since i tripped, and now going on 3 months without smoking any weed. I have absolutely no desire or intentions to go back to doing any of those things ever again.

good to hear man. Would you say emotional response is the same now? Music feel just as good. Can you still jam out to songs? Ive lost my spark to the sound. Like that feeling you get from music. Im starting to just take things as they are and not try to have expectations for how I think I should feel and it really helps.

Im starting to just take things as they are and not try to have expectations for how I think I should feel and it really helps.
If you think about it I think expectations in general why people become unhappy with their lives... even people who don't roll. life is what you make it. you create your own reality with the hand of cards you're dealt. only expect what you created in life- nothing more;nothing less.

Last edited:
If you think about it I think expectations in general why people become unhappy with their lives... even people who don't roll. life is what you make it you create your own reality with the hand of cards you're dealt. only expect what you created in life- nothing more;nothing less.

ya know what, i totally understand that. but there is a still physical feeling that are byproducts of emotions. Like shit you feel in your chest. Or like goosebumps/chills from things that are stimulating. If that is not happening and you know it should, there is obviously something not right. Its hard to say dont expect that and be happy. You know a reaction should be different and its just disappointing.

ya know what, i totally understand that. but there is a still physical feeling that are byproducts of emotions. Like shit you feel in your chest. Or like goosebumps/chills from things that are stimulating. If that is not happening and you know it should, there is obviously something not right. Its hard to say dont expect that and be happy. You know a reaction should be different and its just disappointing.
That's interesting to me.. I can't personally relate even though I roll quite often I still feel energy from certain songs I like sober. Hmm. I get what you're saying though. Just curious, is it possible you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy by expecting not to feel anything? Perhaps you shouldn't focus on what you should or shouldn't feel and just go with the flow. but it sounds like if that was the case it would probably take counseling or therapy to get you're mind to let go of the preconceived notion you can't enjoy music.

Again, this goes to expectations and what you create for yourself. Like the placebo effect? It's a real effect you can feel. I'm convinced people can use that effect in everyday life. It's all about what you expect to feel after all. Perhaps with a little guidance or just relaxing not trying, just going with the flow, you can get past this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGn_nXX7Uw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just relax and listen to that song. Try some breathing exercises and listen in a relaxed environment lemme know. I'd like to hear it's that simple... Like I said I can't really relate and I roll way too often. Don't give up. Try to make placebo effect or something...

Mine has gone away since I`ve settled down with weed and mdma but it was some pretty weird stuff. The thing is my anxiety only lasted a couple months until I told myself that it was all in my head, so no signs of anxiety for over a year. The dp/dr went on for a little bit longer and was amplified by a bunch when I smoked weed. The brainfog was terrible, I felt like I had no brain and there was only fog up there. I still have such bad hppd that the static really bothers me driving in the night. The lights are wayyy too bright and there's never a time where my vision isn't covered with the multicolour static (which just makes things look different).

Now when the dp/dr was really bad it looked like everything was a painting. I mean the houses, cars, streetlights, everything pretty much. That had to be the worst part, everything looked so fake it made me feel like I was going crazy.

That's interesting to me.. I can't personally relate even though I roll quite often I still feel energy from certain songs I like sober. Hmm. I get what you're saying though. Just curious, is it possible you are creating a self fulfilling prophecy by expecting not to feel anything? Perhaps you shouldn't focus on what you should or shouldn't feel and just go with the flow. but it sounds like if that was the case it would probably take counseling or therapy to get you're mind to let go of the preconceived notion you can't enjoy music.

Again, this goes to expectations and what you create for yourself. Like the placebo effect? It's a real effect you can feel. I'm convinced people can use that effect in everyday life. It's all about what you expect to feel after all. Perhaps with a little guidance or just relaxing not trying, just going with the flow, you can get past this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fGn_nXX7Uw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just relax and listen to that song. Try some breathing exercises and listen in a relaxed environment lemme know. I'd like to hear it's that simple... Like I said I can't really relate and I roll way too often. Don't give up. Try to make placebo effect or something...

Haven't listened to the song yet but the whole expecting how I might react could be a real thing. Like for example I'm not into the kind of music my cousin listens to and last year he showed me for the first time that thrift store song by Mac miller and I didn't like it. Then my friends started playing it and all of a sudden It was a dope song I loved. So it could be the predetermined attitude. Yet on the other hand. I'm slowly feeling like I'm finding more enjoyment in things. Like my dopamine is building back up slowely. Its hard to say what it is really.

There is still an obvious issue with me. So I still can't ignore the possibilities of a malfunction of my reward system. I mean fuck i feel like i barely have a sex drive.

Regardless I'm trying to enjoy things as much as I can. Life just seems far more boring than ever. And I'm someone who always knew how to have a good time. I also added drugs or alcohol to that good times nearly every time. So maybe this period of required sobriety till I'm not feeling disassociated is what's preventing me from having as much fun as I want. Or maybe its the disassociation that's just making me feel off and keeping me bummed because I feel like my head is all fucked up.

Too much to answer really. I'm just curious how others experienced this plague of the mind on the emotional level. And how much have are back. Look that derok said. He had the same issue and it all came back. Its just a matter of time.

good to hear man. Would you say emotional response is the same now? Music feel just as good. Can you still jam out to songs? Ive lost my spark to the sound. Like that feeling you get from music. Im starting to just take things as they are and not try to have expectations for how I think I should feel and it really helps.

I feel like I actually can feel it more than I used to, and have a certain appreciation for it. Whereas before I went to shows and festivals to take drugs and rage, now I do them to enjoy the music, culture, and community. In fact, my first show after stopping the partying altogether was almost immediately after my last "party" so to speak. I saw Rusko a week after my last roll, and I was planning to roll at the show. My buddy and I tested a point out the week before and I just wasn't feeling it, yet my buddy and I picked up 3 points to split at the show. about 2 days before, I decided i was going to stop everything and see how it went. something in the back of my mind told me that it would be a good idea to take a break for once. this was by far the BEST decision i could have made, because I loved the shit out of that show and realized I could enjoy the show just as much without the rolls. I continued this trend and realized that the drugs never made the great shows better. They only made the shitty ones tolerable. It was that moment of realization that i decided that if I needed to take a drug to enjoy a show, the show wasn't worth going to. Of course I've been to several shows I didn't enjoy in the time being, but that was never due to the lack of drugs, that was just due to the lack of performance. Kinda Ironic how the one guy who promotes excessive drug use at his shows and in general is the guy who helped me never use drugs again. I wonder what Rusko would say if I told him that...

Then again, my issues set in over a 3 month period. At that 3rd month I didn't want to do anything but be around people to help take my mind off of things. It was quite an adjustment but today I feel grateful that unlike most of these partiers I see at shows, I am able to enjoy it on a pure level vs. an altered state. However, I do make my own music so that could have something to do with the appreciation. Or maybe it's the other way around. So while I may not have the same energy to rage at 150% for several hours until the sun comes up, I can still enjoy the experience just as much, if not more.

The original focus of live music after all was never drug use, but rather community. Rave culture, Woodstock culture, Harlem Renaissance, or whatever. It was all focused on an open, accepting community. Accepting people for their differences in opinion, and don't mock or ridicule those you disagree with or stick out like a nail, and work together to help each other through the struggles of life. The partiers are only attracted to this culture due to a very appealing environment to get fucked up and be ignorant to life itself. Who doesn't want to go to a show and be fucked up and join the cuddle puddle? I once did, as did many people. While some of the partygoers never change and always just pop drugs whenever they can, others experience the feeling of community, and only want to experience that. While the community/culture people do take drugs and get fucked up, that is not the focus for these people. There focus is on experiencing something special with everyone else. I have had very meaningful conversations about each other's lives with these people, even with those I had never met beforehand. As far as the partiers go the only conversation that persists is how fucked up they are and how much drugs they got their hands on or did in the past. I usually don't try to associate with unless it's trying to ease their experience when things are going rough (took too much, feeling the fear, etc). While many of people who I once considered friends mock my opinions by saying things like "Oh I don't need your fucking anti-drug bullshit" I simply stop associating with them. My approach is simply to raise awareness and help people understand that it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to take care of our nervous systems due to the fact that it is very easy to destroy them, and very difficult to fix. We only get one, so we should do our best to take care of the most precious aspect of life itself. Like the common understanding of "crossing the line"... Very easy to cross that line, and once you do, you know it immediately; however, crossing back over that line to recovery takes a much longer, much more strenuous journey than it is the other way around. But many people have done this, especially bluelighters, and I think we can all agree that this journey back makes us stronger people, and gives us a stronger appreciation to be alive and have each other even through the hardships, which can be a legitimate feeling of hell on earth. Even Hunter S. Thompson once said, "who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” So basically, just be grateful for your experience because while there is nothing you can do about it, it will make you a stronger person in the end. I'm not saying to try to cross that line, as I think you should never even do it in the first place. I'm just saying that if you have, look upon that experience with optimism, saying that you braved the storm and actually care about becoming a stronger person and not taking life itself for granted.

Just relax, and enjoy the ride. Life is about the ups and downs, and about being difficult versus easy. Anyone can be ignorant and enjoy life. Not everyone can face their hardships and fears and still be optimistic about the days to come. Ignorance is bliss as they say, but I believe that God wants us to struggle and be AWARE as much as we can, so that we are able to appreciate every experience we come across, rather than brush off everything and take it for granted.

Sorry for the rambling, I sometimes get in these modes where I can't shut up. Best of luck mate :)

Last edited:
Month 4 here. Only way I can think to describe it is as an utter nightmare. When I started using ecstasy, I didn’t know these sort of after effects existed. I will say that it has gotten significantly better in the last month, but everything is still really weird and far from healed.

I’ve found ways to cope with it for the most part. I work full time at a fairly high stress job and still get through my day to day tasks. I eat healthy, do yoga, exercise frequently, meditate, take supplements. I’ve visited a physician and a nutritionist and meet with a cognitive behavior therapist once a week. I’ve strayed away from virtually all drugs and stimulants. No more weed or caffeine for me. I do drink on occasions, but anything more than two drinks only seems to exacerbate my symptoms ten fold. I’m trying so hard to do everything right, but my symptoms still feel so stubborn.

I hate the constant questions, which breed fear/dread which breed a constant, inescapable cycle of anxious thinking. Is this physiological and out of my control or is it merely a symptom of my anxious thinking? There seems to be an undeniable physical component. Even when I’m happiest and completely carefree, things still aren’t right. Will it ever go away?

My vision is completely skewed. Everything looks sort of surreal and two-dimensional. It’s really hard to describe. It seems to be the worst when I’m driving for some reason. Staring out the windshield, my entire surroundings look like a giant picture book. I also get after images occasionally, especially when I stare at bright lights. And I’ve also started experiencing “visual floaters” – little organism-looking blobs that float in front of my vision when I look into light.

I also experience pretty debilitating brain fog which is my most dreaded symptom of all. I feel like my IQ has been demolished. I was once very proud of being an intellectual individual driven by reading, writing, and learning. I wanted to be a writer. Now I wonder if I need to reconsider my life path which is the most depressing thought on earth for me. I can’t fathom how I went from feeling brilliant and ambitious one day to retarded the next. Even worse, I can’t imagine how I am going to heal from feeling retarded to suddenly feeling “smart” again. Also terrifying is that I constantly jumble my words and have trouble keeping up in fast paced conversations. I feel like such an idiot that I’ve become increasingly reserved and untalkative. I was never a huge extrovert, but now I’m damn near silent.

Sometimes I wonder if what I’m experiencing is “depersonalization” or “derealization.” I know I have a lot of overlapping symptoms, but quite honestly I just feel like I relate to the definitions. I just feel like totally out of it, spacey, inebriated, in a daze.

God this is such a nightmare. Praying for better times. Quite honestly recovery stories on bluelight are the only thing that keep me going sometimes.

Dont worry herenow I can say it does get better. At least the cognitive part for me has improved 10 fold. Its been 6.5 months for me. About 6 months out took to really feel a difference. Not 100% id say 75-80% improvement by now.

How are ur emotional side of things? Do u struggle with say feeling "joy" or "inspired" about life? I think its called anhedonia.

BLers who suffer from these issues, did you notice this damage after a single big dose? Or did this stuff sort of build up onto you after extended use?

Depersonalization

Depersonalization.

The sense that you are no longer yourself.
Perhaps the sense that you have left your physical body.

Yes, I remember being an empty shell.
A vessel.

My limbs were weak and responded poorly to command.
My skin was cold and numb, especially below the neck and worse below the waist.
I would push or pinch different areas of my body to make sure I could still feel them.
I always determined that the nerves still work and I could feel on a physical level, but the depth and meaning of sensation was gone.

I was a shell.
A robot.

Heat and cold meant very little emotionally.
I would sit in the shower under steaming hot water wishing to feel what I used to.
My skin would not feed my soul.
Only then did I realize it always had.

Is this what being 90 years old will feel like?
Empty, weak, grey?

My head was so weird, too.
Sometimes it felt empty. Like it weighed half of its normal mass.
Sometimes it felt heavy.

Often I felt almost dizzy.
Not quite dizzy, but like I didn't feel my body in space.
If I closed my eyes, I wouldn't be able to coordinate certain movements.
My body schema had been compromised.

Depersonalization.
I was no longer inside my physical body.
And if I was, I certainly wasn't myself.
I was lost.

Can you remember feeling that a part of you never changed with age?
Most people say yes to this question.
From about the age of 10 onward, there is a part of our personalities that seem static. Defined.
Permanent.

Years can pass, you become an adult, yet this core identity that has always been there still exists deep inside you.
You see them in the mirror staring back at you.

No longer.
Something is wrong.
This deep protected core has been breached.
What is left of you is withering away!

You stare into the mirror and you conclude - I am dead.
Lifeless eyes stare back at you.
There is something vacant about your eyes and you see it every time you look.
Nothing convinces you more than this - something is terribly wrong.
Horrified, you learn to stop looking.

My friend Somedud talked about his lifeless eyes for a long time.
My own lasted the whole first year, but the first six months were the worst.
Absolute terror.
I looked at a dead man every single time.
(for a dead man I sure cried well)

Speaking of death, suicide seems easier to consider.
Since death has already occurred in a spiritual sense.
You aren't really killing yourself, because you are already have (with MDMA).
More specifically, physical pain is now easy to endure.
Too easy.

Your skin doesn't feel the same.
It would be so easy just to slice it open.
Watch the blood, see the flesh parted, and feel no fear.
Empty pain, no fear.
Maybe if there was fear, you would feel normal for a moment.
Maybe the pain could return your brain function to 'normal'.
Why not find out?

Suicides seen in SSRI users tend to be extremely violent.
While these are rare, those that have such 'adverse' reactions really go with gusto!
The hesitation mechanism just isn't the same.
Pain might actually feel like a relief.

There is one final aspect that I forgot to mention..
Hearing my voice was sometimes like a third person.
Especially when I would have conversation with other people, I would get the sense that I was not the one speaking.
I could hear my voice, but I felt that I wasn't controlling the flow of words.
Had to keep it simple. Didn't know what I would say next. Don't know why I just said what I said...
Very unlike regular conversation.

Out of body experience.

Last edited:
Depersonalization.

The sense that you are no longer yourself.
Perhaps the sense that you have left your physical body.

Yes, I remember being an empty shell.
A vessel.

My limbs were weak and responded poorly to command.
My skin was cold and numb, especially below the neck and worse below the waist.
I would push or pinch different areas of my body to make sure I could still feel them.
I always determined that the nerves still work and I could feel on a physical level, but the depth and meaning of sensation was gone.

I was a shell.
A robot.

Heat and cold meant very little emotionally.
I would sit in the shower under steaming hot water wishing to feel what I used to.
My skin would not feed my soul.
Only then did I realize it always had.

Is this what being 90 years old will feel like?
Empty, weak, grey?

My head was so weird, too.
Sometimes it felt empty. Like it weighed half of its normal mass.
Sometimes it felt heavy.

Often I felt almost dizzy.
Not quite dizzy, but like I didn't feel my body in space.
If I closed my eyes, I wouldn't be able to coordinate certain movements.
My body schema had been compromised.

Depersonalization.
I was no longer inside my physical body.
And if I was, I certainly wasn't myself.
I was lost.

Can you remember feeling that a part of you never changed with age?
Most people say yes to this question.
From about the age of 10 onward, there is a part of our personalities that seem static. Defined.
Permanent.

Years can pass, you become an adult, yet this core identity that has always been there still exists deep inside you.
You see them in the mirror staring back at you.

No longer.
Something is wrong.
This deep protected core has been breached.
What is left of you is withering away!

You stare into the mirror and you conclude - I am dead.
Lifeless eyes stare back at you.
There is something vacant about your eyes and you see it every time you look.
Nothing convinces you more than this - something is terribly wrong.
Horrified, you learn to stop looking.

My friend Somedud talked about his lifeless eyes for a long time.
My own lasted the whole first year, but the first six months were the worst.
Absolute terror.
I looked at a dead man every single time.
(for a dead man I sure cried well)

There is one final aspect that I forgot to mention..
Hearing my voice was sometimes like a third person.
Especially when I would have conversation with other people, I would get the sense that I was not the one speaking.
I could hear my voice, but I felt that I wasn't controlling the flow of words.
Had to keep it simple. Didn't know what I would say next. Don't know why I just said what I said...
Very unlike regular conversation.

Out of body experience.

Dude, fucking spot on. I can relate with everything. Havent heard from ya in a while.

Sounds like things are much better for you. How are you now? Emotion wise? Feeling life again?