• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread

I've been on methadone for 24 years and in the beginning didn't shit for more than 2 weeks. If you take the biscodyl or docusate, you have to take 7 or 8 when you go to sleep. I'm on 160 mgs and it's all that works for me. I do it 2x week. If it doesn't start on it's own when you get up, squirt a litle warm water up there and there she blows. Good luck from New York
ptrsnake13

there is this stuff we call "dynamite" I used for emergencies when I was on suboxone. sulfure something. it came in a huge bottle and tasted like shit but..wow.

dulcalax works if you don't mind intense cramps.

milk of magnesia if its not too bad (ie not suboxone)

and miralax for long term releif.

*BEWARE OPIATE CONSTIPATION* harm rediction

I just wanted everybody to know a little thing about 'opiate constipation'..I just had to use a glycerin suppository(otherwise known to me growing up,"The Bullet")Im lucky I didn't have to go to the hospital.I knew I was inpacted,but I did't know I had THAT MUCH crap in me.I had been on suboxone for a few weeks,and not been eating very healthy.And making a bowel movement was basically impossible.I even had attempted to put a glove on and pull what I can out...NOTHING compared to what 'actually' came out! Luckily,my girlfriend got her money today,so she got me the suppsitories,enema's,milk'o'magnesium. Thank goodness,I only had to use the suppository.

So,when on opiates remember to eat food with fiber,like cereal and fruits.And especially drink your water.If your doing opiates occasionally,your constipation could go either way,but for the most part once ur done using for short time,your constipation should not be very impacted.But for regular opiate users,please..PLEASE!!...drink PLENTY of water,and stock up on foods with fiber,your seeds and nuts,fruits,and it would probably be a good idea to get some milk of magnesium just to keep yourself regular.maybe some Senecot too.

Sounds very very painful indeed. I'm going to merge your thread with our current thread on opiate constipation.

Yay for fiber! Happy shitting!

I once went 8 days without pooping. I was like 10 years old and there wasn't a bathroom on the campsite. I was kind of spoiled back then..

Milk of Magnesia
I'm not sure how many people've suggested it but here I go. When I was on Suboxone constipation was pretty bad BUT I discovered milk of magnesia and it works wonders. Sometimes had to dose a couple nights for it to work. Take it at night, buy the mint flavor or something other than plain because the taste is horrid. bleh. Also eat lots of fruit (apples) and veg (fiber) which helps soften the stools so it's easier for them to pass... This thing can be very painful if you don't do anything. Good luck?
I've not experienced any cramping or abdominal discomfort using this, my mother has tried it though and she has (but she is very sensitive to everything) so it *may* cause cramping.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but let's face the cold, hard truth: When we're in over our heads with the opies, we're often not disciplined enough to spend our money on this variety of things to take preventively, or to even take them on a schedule at all. It's often an uphill battle only after we realise how long it's actually been.

Don't be afraid to use an enema as a reactionary solution. They actually do work, and aren't that uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, it's quite an interesting experience. But you'll feel loads better after it has done its job.

A few years back I had it so bad!! PUSH PUSH!!!!!!! - I tried the lot then nothing else but basically what I considered "the most enjoyable shit ever" - I was big into opiates and growing tolerant (IV) so lets just I shot a small ish amount of Cocaine (>50mg maybe more which means near nothing as who knows what the %% but it was half decent anyway....... bad idea in general unless all else fails how it's gunna hurt so OxyContin 80mg IV mixed with the Cocaine..... went like this..........

c'mon, wheres da' blood brah.
blood pours into the syringe and I hit it. *like Quagmire hits on soccer moms"
>4sec The Cocaine wasn't rushy but was not meant to be but lights came on in the factory and things started moving
Then things where moving and it hurt - was like giving birth and screamig and shit
(then OC turns and me and him push)
A yelping sound was made and my sister (who I told to just go away!! while I was "giving birth"! told my dad who thought it was an emergency or I od'ed or died or collasped ran up)
If you imagine someones head falling from the ceiling (no idea why) then hitting into the toilet bowel and that THUD...... that was the sound......
It was horriable to experience but by fucking God once I finshed even setting the drugs aside it was "better than sex" the relief
I told my dad, I was ok just difficult times on the toilet - he understood.
There was blood...... now without being odd. I actually wanted to weigh it as it was about the size of a brick, well abit bigger.

Sorry for the detail. Now adays I am hooked a tad on stims and going every few days and due to give birth again soon-past 2 weeks have been bad, due to poor eating I would say. I am adding more fibre though and after this do it daily.

Ok - serial'ness

More fibre+up your water
Magnesium is suppose to flush more water in your bowls don't overdo laxitives - I once went from one extreme to the other (shitting water all day - had to take opiates to stop it and let it chill)

BEST BIT OF ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the parcel is very large put your feet on the seat and try - it's easier.

Yo Tony, I thought that only happened to me! Anyway my virgin suppository was prob equal to octomom birth all at once while holding anything I could rocking and Rollin literally on my toilet. I screamed, I shit, I prayed, I filled the toilet. Key is to flush multiple times. After losing the baby that only a man can have is an experience I would consider like being raped by the prison yard and having a basketball go through a garden hose. Pain management dr was on my hit list. After the 2 hours of shit baby, I felt like a new man and sat down and ate like a mule. By the way I hadn't shit for 3 weeks. Key is to not eat unless it's soup, or something soft and cherish your shit baby. Hardest part is trying to think of its name. I just call him shit baby. Any one else understand?

Since my last thread a couple of months back I've had bad constipation 3-4 days and pain, straining.

I used duculax ease I take 5 a day and drink 3-4L (yes I driink extra). I dont eat that much but when I do usually fibre'y.

I lost count this time 8days maybe so this morning I've chuged 3l and done 4g epson salts and psysium husks and just popped a senna. now I've THANK FUCK made a painful BM.

Milk of M. I may try.

First of all, forget bread and all that whole grain BS. That'll plug you up like nothing else. Tony's right. I only eat soft stuff, usually water soluble like soup, milkshakes, hard candy, things that will dissolve eventually. I know it sucks to never get to eat a steak again, but IMO it sucks a whole lot more to get a prison reaming once a week.

ScoopySnack, you and your shitbaby are The Shit! And, by that I mean super awesome! Octomom birth, LMFAO! I eat senna lax like its my job, pound gallons of orange Gatorade and eat eggs. Nothin like a little liquid bird enema! Except, I'm on this thread because my recipe for poo that is thrown out like a flying squirrel on a Slip n Slide just isnt doing the trick. It's been a week. The Subutex are working because I keep wondering why I have a cramp on my right side, then I realize that I haven't smashed anything out in a week. Oh, crap. Or, lack there of... My back is also hurting now, could the build up of poo be pushing on the herniated disks? If nothing flies, or even prairie dogs out, I think it might be time for some fleet, a hot bath and some glycerine bullets. I'm not gonna rupture anything overnight, am I? Nothing hurts that badly. Apart from my normal agonizing face pain. Happy dookying!

Last edited:
Yeah back pain is a symptom of constipation.

Yes, I'm finding this out. The hard way. Pun intended. So, two days ago I'm pretty certain I had a bowel impaction.

In the course of a day I administered myself the MDD of delicious milk of magnesium-mint flavored, MDD of senna lax-dirt flavored, 2 glycerin suppositories, an entire bottle of magnesium citrate-lemony shit flavored, an apple-worm flavored, and a mineral oil and a saline enema-unflavored, of course. So, nothing happened for 8 hours...I was in wicked pain with my heating pad ready to go to the emergency room. This thought doesn't come lightly as I do not have any health insurance. When Finally, the floodgates broke.
So, here's my quandary...since then (two days ago) I've consumed only the following: more Subutex-two days worth, more Cymbalta-2day supply, 9 cups of coffee with non-dairy creamer, two packs of Camels, a hot dog and burger, no buns, a side of Mac salad, side of hash browns and a bag of butter lettuce with extra Greek dressing, a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA beer, half a gallon of orange juice, half gallon of lemonade and two glasses of green tea. That's it. And, it's happening again. I'm in agony. The neuro Trigeminal nerve pain condition I suffer from that is usually at an 8, which for the first time in three years I can barely feel, is at a 5. Amazing. Thank you, bupenorphine without the naloxone, but, here's the thing. ...

I am in so much back and general gut pain, I'm feeling like I should go to the Emergency room. I was so proud that I saved myself thousands of dollars by shoving things up my own ass and here I am again two days later. I know meat is bad for this, but I thought I did pretty good for two days countering it with all that salad.
So, did I eat enough to warrant going to he hospital for risk of a tear, internal bleeding, sepsis, all that fun stuff?
Is it safe to say that most of it evacuated out? I'm assuming if I hav this intensity of pain I should.

Methadone didn't even give me as much of a problem as this Subutex.
Is this typical for most people on subs?
Fuck. It's boyfriend's birthday in ten minutes, I really feel awful about waking the family to have a birthday hospital party, and be about $1,000+ in debt.

That time it was 8-9 days without shitting, this time it's only two.

Bottom line: Essentially, how would one know if this situation is severe enough to go to ED?

Last edited:
^^^
You need to drink more water. When you passed the stool was it dry and hard? I have really helped solve my problem with increased water intake. Also how much bupe are you taking per day?

Hi Stacianica,
Your problem could be a lot worse than mere constipation. Do you still have your appendix? If so, are you nauseated and/or feverish along with the stomach pain? If so, I think you should at least seriously consider going to the ER. I know it's expensive, but if your appendix bursts, you can die. And that's much worse than incurring a hospital bill. Please go get it checked out.

Eek! Well, the good news is, I'm alive and feeling pretty okay now. I talked to my buddy who is a nurse and she basically said the same thing you're saying, Crimsonjunk. She said to stop taking all that crap and just drink a ridiculous amount of water. The enemas will alter the natural balance of good bacteria in my lower GI tract. She agreed with you by saying to just increase my water intake. The majority of the pain went away throughout the night and today was pretty great.

I feel 95% better. A rare day, a first in three years to be able to say "today, I'm pain free and only at a four". I haven't felt this great in three years plus 4 1/2 months.

Today is the second full moon in August, this month. A blue moon. Maybe, I get to be pain-free Once in a Blue Moon. ? Hmmm....

Thank you all for supporting me through this and sorry for the melodrama while I was flipping out yesterday. XO

Last edited:
Hi Stacianica,
Your problem could be a lot worse than mere constipation. Do you still have your appendix? If so, are you nauseated and/or feverish along with the stomach pain? If so, I think you should at least seriously consider going to the ER. I know it's expensive, but if your appendix bursts, you can die. And that's much worse than incurring a hospital bill. Please go get it checked out.
Hi PermJones, thanks for replying. I still haven't gone...to poop or the Emergency Room. Pain was there, but then ceased, now it's back because I still haven't shit, of course. It's not as painful as it was awhile back when I posted what you replied to.
Fortunately, I do not have fever and I really truly believe this to be a direct cause of the new Subutex I've been taking for the last two and a half weeks. I used to always have the opposite problem and since being on the 'tex I've encountered this new world. Thanks for your concern and being kind enough to reply with your concern. I'll certainly keep my eyes open for any indication of fever or pain specifically near my appendix. Thanks again!

My bowels now seem to have totally adjusted to working OK on opiates. At one stage id be over a week without being able to pass anything, and then it would be screaming murder to force out a tiny hard pellet that felt like i was giving birth to a huge rock hard tennis ball.

Its a bummer that ive adjusted now cos im hoping to be of them in a month or two. And then My confused guts will have to readjust back to "normality".

What did the trick for me was milk of magnesia one night. Followed by big bowls of steaming hot porridge 2 mornings running. Things have been running regularly, smoothly and painlessly ever since. Who'd have thought it. The Humble Oat. Wonder food.