• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dealing with OPIATE RELATED CONSTIPATION ~ Mega Thread

Man I eat a fuck ton of salad and alotta carrots every day and that's packed with fiber and I still can't shit everyday and when I do its so fuckin hard I gotta sqeeze to get a few clumps out.

Fuck this shit. Does anyone know if beans help they are packed with fiber. 6g per serving.

Man I eat a fuck ton of salad and alotta carrots every day and that's packed with fiber and I still can't shit everyday and when I do its so fuckin hard I gotta sqeeze to get a few clumps out.

Fuck this shit. Does anyone know if beans help they are packed with fiber. 6g per serving.

I'm not too sure if beans help because I personally cannot eat them. I get horrible stomach cramping and pains from them. However, I've heard incorporating them into an already healthy diet should bring benefits.

Have you tried adding a stool softener? I've added Colace into my diet. I take 4 soft gels an hour before bed with warm water and it helps me tremendously. I've also found it works best when taken AFTER the last opiate dose of the day.

I have a great suggestion that totally works like a charm:
I got a Machine for Christmas, and I have started drinking 2-3 "shakes" per day, consisting of 1 banana, 1 very small apple, 1/2 Anjou or Bartlett pear, and pour orange juice up to the "max" fill line and blend for 1-2 min. Now I have absolutely no constipation issues at all, no matter what else I eat! (I was severely restricting my diet to mostly liquids because of constipation issues.) Now I can eat whatever I want, pizza, granola bars, you name it, without fear of um...repercussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well post to maybe revive this thread a bit...

Daily opiate use for me has resulted in having to pop 2 stimulant laxatives at night+ 1 Cascara sagrada (natural herb lax) same time, just so around 10 or 11 in the morning I can pass a decent bowel, which STILL dosent fully satisfy me -_- ...
Maybe its time for a strict diet change for a week or so for cleanse? I was always thinking about a colon cleanse (professionally) , no homo. Do those help/ work ?

Meh, I'll admit that my diet IS pretty bad, usually most days ill eat 2 COMPLETE meals a day, which mainly consist of meat/chicken/fish & starches, then just snack on chips or unhealthy processed foods after that -_- Buuut, I AM drinking about 2/3 bottles of water a day consistently.
Sounds bad ?

Last edited:
Here are some legitimate suggestions that do not involve harmful laxatives:

- Coffee will generally not cause dehydration until you drink about 5 cups a day. In fact, many people drink coffee to promote a bowel movement in the morning. Many studies have proven coffee increases bowel motility in the large intestine by causing sequential contractions. Some people are not affected. Coffee has been shown to be much more effective than caffeine.
- Yellow urine is not always an indicator of dehydration, especially if you take vitamin supplements. It is best to drink at least 2L of water a day.
- Magnesium citrate (liquid or pill) has a mild laxative effect, as magnesium draws water into the colon to hydrate stool and increase motility. I do not recommend “real” laxatives as they lead to dependence. It is therefore the most important electrolyte to prevent constipation. Milk of Magnesia is an alternative. Make sure to eat enough natural foods high in magnesium.
- Make sure to eat enough fiber. Fiber can increase constipation if you do not consume enough water with it.
- A diet high in fat will cause loose stools, which can be ideal for people dealing with frequent constipation. Your diet can be over 50% fat, and eating nuts/seeds will probably leave you healthier.
- Reduce consumption of foods that cause gas, which dry the stools. I personally avoid beans and cruciferous vegetables.

If all else fails, after 3 days give yourself a proper salt enema (search online), I suggest 750ml. On the 4th day I would suggest a 1.25 liter salt enema, leave it for 15 minutes with two warm water bottles on your abdomen. If you are a fool and have had constipation for 1 week, I suggest the later enema, along with possible manual disimpactation (use your finger to break apart stool). Good luck.

Last edited:
Constipation and Fentanyl

I am sorry to start a new thread, and yes i am a n00b, but i used the search engine and couldn't find anything.
I have been through some terrible constipation from opiates, but have always been able to fix it.
My mother, (who is a user on this forum,) however, is currently having a GODAWFUL time of it with her 150 micrograms of fent.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I am sorry to start a new thread, and yes i am a n00b, but i used the search engine and couldn't find anything.
I have been through some terrible constipation from opiates, but have always been able to fix it.
My mother, (who is a user on this forum,) however, is currently having a GODAWFUL time of it with her 150 micrograms of fent.

Hello,

I am going to merge this in with the opioid constipation megathread, and I'm sure you can find a lot of info if you backtrack through the thread.

For general diet advice do consume lots of water, vegetables, beans, fruit. Don't consume any bread, pasta, rice, meat, nuts.

If dealing with an impaction seek medical attention. For less severe acute constipation you can start with oral polyethylene glycol (magnesium citrate and other osmotic laxatives will probably result in cramping) and lots of water to soften the stool, a glycerine suppository 24h later to further increase water content as well as stimulate the bowels to get stuff moving, and finally a mineral oil enema right before evacuating to help lubricate the whole process.

After all the mass has been passed be sure to stick with the diet, and if things do begin to get clogged up again be proactive with a full colonic water enema before everything gets too dried out for it to work alone.

Problem I've found is things like high fibre diets/etc do get things moving... but they dont help with the size of the shits...in fact they seem to be worse. so dense as well :!

It was OK for probably the first 5-6 years of my opiate use, I guess because my dose was lower... but it reached a point where I pretty much only shat in public places because I just knew 20% of the time it aint gonna fit down the hole... hahaha god the things we put up with to get high :(

Anyhow finally I've found a solution.. this probably wont work for everybody... but it turns out I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. Not much.. I can consume a reasonable amount of dairy and be fine.. But if I drink say 700ml+ of milk or a little less but eat a bit of cheese as well in a ~6hour window, It turns my shit to near fluid. Probably isn't any better than using laxatives, but it saves me the trouble of having to keep such things around/buy such things/etc.

Anyone ever dealt with hemorrhoids as a result of chronic constipation? Its a never ending cycle for me. They calm down for w couple of days then come back as soon as I manage to take a shit, its annoying as hell. I have a couple on either side of my butt hole on the outside but those are pretty easy to manage, the one that bothers me is right on the inside and it basically never goes away. It feels like a bb under my skin perhaps a little larger and it throbs and bleeds occasionally. I know all the go to prep-h type otcs but none of those give me relief. Ive started showering pretty much everytime i use the toilet so i dont have to wipe as much. Im trying to control my diet been taking soluble fiber tablets and drinking fluids, but there seems to be no way around irritating it when i do end up going. The itching, burning, throbbing on top of the constipation itself really sucks.

I have also had constipation and hemorrhoids in the past. I have changed my diet but it also didn't seem to help. When I started exercising that's when I noticed a difference and I rarely get them these days. Exercise stimulates normal contractions in our intestines making our colon active promoting regular bowel movements. Perhaps exercise is what's missing?

The main reason why hemorrhoids linger is due to lack of blood circulation. The blood gets congested in the rectal veins; then constipation and pushing excessively while on the toilet causes the stagnant veins to expand and become irritated. Aside from exercising more, avoiding sitting all day will help. Taking warm baths with epsom salts can get blood circulating to the anus so that the stangation can move along.

If it's dry constipation where the stool is so dry it's hard to get it moving, it can be helped by consuming more unsaturated oils (or foods containing them), fresh fruits and vegetables, and mild demulcents/purgatives like aloe juice. If it's really urgent and a last resort you can try taking 1 tablespoon (15mL) of castor oil, which will kick in after about 4-5 hours. Be warned, it will probably cause a volcano so you should stay near a toilet for the better part of your day.

If the stool is normal in consistency yet you lack the physical force to push it out, then exercise will be needed to address the atonia of the bowels, especially abdominal work! With opiates it will be a receptor-based problem, but exercise increases circulation which increases over all activity in the organs.

In either case, avoiding dry foods or accumulating foods (like cheese and meat), and increasing fiber can help. "Dry food" means food that you can't successfully chew and swallow without needing to take a sip of water. If your own saliva can't moisten the food for swallowing, then it's "dry" in nature.

The last time I was constipated I found chia seeds soaked in water for 20 minutes helped a lot.

Wow thats a lot of good information, thanks. I exercise probably 4-5 times per week already but my activity level is very sporadic. The bath sounds nice but unfortunately i only have a walk in shower. I think I could probably use a friends tub. Thanks again.

lots of dramatic posts and info in here whew!

i woke up with the worst constipation issue ive ever had before today. its wierd tho... ive been constipated for much longer than this before. ive had pretty bad constipation before for a week or so (like only going once or twice in over a week's time) in the past too.

but anyways,,, this time it was the worst: I woke up with mild W/D's and eventually had to go crap. i start to go and realize its not gonna be easy.
For some reason, this time its like i have a rock at the tail end(or the head/beginning, however u think of it) of an akward shaped turd. no matter how hard i pushed there was no way it was gonna fit and come out. the chunk was ROCK hard and the area was just too dry, my butt hole was turning inside out and coming out of itself. talk about OMG! i couldnt even get it back up in there so i could relax either, that took a while. i had to just shove my fingers right in as hard as i could(ouch, honestly never had anything in it before ever either so... yeah, ouch) and break loose and shove around enough of the rock-turd to be able to crap a tiny pebble and have to give up for a while.

i ended up just freaking the hell out of course first of all. Then after i got a hold of my self a bit, i talked to a family member who said they would bring over some nice prunes for me. All the while i have a nice fat couple packs just itchin' for me to shoot up, which i know would make the pain go away. Problem is tho id never shit the rest of the day if i did it. soo... i just ended up waiting.

After a couple more hours waiting, eating raisan bran and a few prunes (yummy, yummy) I finally felt like i had to go again. after trying and pushing harder than anyone should ever safely do, and straining so hard that my throat began to bleed and blood vessels pop in my face, it still didnt come out. wow.

What helped me? I finally decided to try and shove my damn fingers up in there, which wasnt easy at all. thankfully that little time i gave myself to withdraw had made it easier to do just that. i managed to mess with the damn rock hard turd just enough to strain the big fukker out. talk about relief! then i had to shit again and went on to go whip up my shot i had waited to do. i even had to stop twice while mixing it up and shit again. ha!

Bottom line: Totally worth it to withdraw in order to have a bowl movement. I have a friend who refuses to do so, and/or just doesnt care/notice. I almost have to tell him not to sit in my car because he smells like shit so gawd awfully bad. we think he even threw up shit before. again... Totally worth it!!! to withdraw in order to finally shit i mean. whew!!

Last edited:
^jesus that's a foul story.
Never been a problem personally, couple cups of coffee in the morn does it every time if that fails add a few puffs off a cigg into the mix. Days off are the friggin worst though have to take like 4 shits.

Plenty of water and a good diet of unprocessed foods and high in fibre is importantante.

Well most ppl say junkies are full of shit lol
Even after coming down on my mmt its still not a daily thing. I know long term opiate abuse has probably messed up my gi system but i also have a quick quenstion for anyone thats been there. Does benzo wd have any kind of gi symptom associated with it? I think if it were common enough i would have heard, but how can say xanax mess with your gi? Anyone?

i want to know the exact same thing.... ive been dialing back on the benzos and it seems like its coinciding with my constipation.