• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids cure for restless legs from opiate withdrawal?

Some quinine might help. I was given it in rehab and it worked to some extent. You'll just have to chug a lot of tonic water but you probably will get some relief. I find hot baths quite helpful too... really anything that will relax your leg muscles will help. Good luck man, I've been through this many times before, and I'm sure this ain't your first rodeo neither, just try to make it your last.

In case no one has mentioned it, Gabapentin totally killed my RLS and damn near all my withdrawal symptoms. I don't tend to get RLS very badly but I still do get it.

Hot bath with Epsom salts is your only man in acute opiate withdrawal. Take a couple advil before you get in.

Gabapentinoids. Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and/or Phenibut (OTC). I'd get on the roof of my building and shout the gospel of Gabapentin down at the hustlers, but I've already been warned by the city about aggressively yelling drug information at pedestrians.

Seriously, these drugs are underutilized. In addition to them being underutilized, many are unfamiliar with the unique pharmacology of Gabapentin specifically, which I believe can lead them into the false notion that the drug is ineffective. Gabapentinoids not only alleviate all of my RLS/Akathisia (at the proper dose), but they also provide me with energy, ambition and motivation. In addition to their amazing utility as a class, they appear to be comparatively harmless, considering other, more commonly sought medications like Benzodiazepines, for instance.

When I was going through w/d my psychiatrist gave me Risperidone. It's an atypical antipsychotic, I forget the exact pharmacodynamics but it doesn't work like benzos when it makes you sleepy/relaxed, it antagonises your dopamine receptors, agonises the 5-HT serotonin receptors (which also helps with depression going through w/d) and also agonises H1 and H2 receptors, like first generation anticholinergics do, making it sedating and good at helping insomnia with w/d. You can also get SSRIs like prozac or zoloft if you're worried about the side effects/stigma of taking an antihistamine. This way you won't get blacklisted into never getting an opiate prescription again. You can just pretend you're depressed and you want some antidepressants.
Benzos like valium and klonopin work too, that's pretty much all they're for where I live: bagheads who need help with withdrawal

When I'm withdrawing I take 10-20 Imodium aka loperamide 2mg. Green tabs not liquid gels. Takes 90% of your withdrawals away. I use to live in a halfway where guys would take 50 at a time and be nodding out. Walmart has bottle of 70 count for like 2.99 or something close to that. Stuff works like a miracle

If your not taking Imodium for opiate withdrawals you are behind the game. It's not a matter of if it works. It really does help amazingly and a lot of people know this.

gabapentinoids. Gabapentin (neurontin), pregabalin (lyrica) and/or phenibut (otc). I'd get on the roof of my building and shout the gospel of gabapentin down at the hustlers, but i've already been warned by the city about aggressively yelling drug information at pedestrians.

Seriously, these drugs are underutilized. In addition to them being underutilized, many are unfamiliar with the unique pharmacology of gabapentin specifically, which i believe can lead them into the false notion that the drug is ineffective. Gabapentinoids not only alleviate all of my rls/akathisia (at the proper dose), but they also provide me with energy, ambition and motivation. In addition to their amazing utility as a class, they appear to be comparatively harmless, considering other, more commonly sought medications like benzodiazepines, for instance.

amen.

If your not taking Imodium for opiate withdrawals you are behind the game. It's not a matter of if it works. It really does help amazingly and a lot of people know this.

idk what u r talking about... I took 23 of them when in w/d one time and all they did was make me even more sleepy when I couldn't sleep to begin with, so actually they made my w/ds worse and I had to go into work thinking id feel better after reading all this shit online.... nope... not one bit did it help my w/ds.

also you must realize these literal shit pills are EXTREMELY toxic to the heart so have fun popping the shit pills and getting a heart attack soon

Lyrica or Neurontin combined with a muscle relaxer if you need it but for me lyrica was a godsend! My first day of wds high dosing lyrica gave me mad energy it was amazing it gave me a great buzz too and maybe a little tipsy.8(

I've had rls my whole life and w/d's make it unbearable. Nothing OTC works for me, only meds that help are benzos and that's only because I eventually just pass out lol. Honestly the only thing that really helps me and I know it's not the easiest thing to do while sick but walking a few miles always does the trick for me.

Good answer :) However, some people need the subs to get off.. how did you get clean and stay clean? Just curious bc I myself am trying to put this shit in the past

I tell you what....Gabapentin or lyrica is probably THE best medication for restleg legs..its even soley good for withdrawl itself.
I have always said that if I had either gabapentin or lyrica,that I know for a fact that I would be able to get off suboxone(of which I have been on for ~4yrs)
Phenibit I found to work great for restless legs also,and anxiety..Personally, I feel phenibut feels almost identical to how gabapentin feels...
And also benzos work for restless legs. If u need immediate relief, a quick acting benzo wud b good(xanax).. But it wud prob be better to use a longer acting one like Diazepam or clonazepam.

So true! I've switched from subs to gabapentin after a few days a d actually felt pretty great

Yea gabapentin and lyrica are great..except I believe its pretty hard to get em
.at least for me it is.especially getting anything prescribed for anxiety,except for antidepressants
.which I cannot.stand..
Have you asked for the gabapentin? It's not a scheduled drug so shouldn't be hard to get at all!

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add my 2 cents.

1. Tylenol. Yeah it helps
2. Gabapentin. Works really well for wds
3. Hot showers.
4. Stop trying to sleep. Accept the fact your not going to sleep. Sit up right. Play some video games or watch tv. Read a book. Rls doesn't ever bother me until I try to sleep.

I at one point I had a 1g a day dope habit. IV. Went to jail and got clean it took about 1 month before the restless legs ceased. For people getting off methadone it took longer. The only relief I had in there was Tylenol and occasionally scored some weed. Also walking around will help short term. Good luck !

Restless legs syndrome haha I really hate it I always get it when I'm in withdrawals it gets that bad I start to cry as I get no sleep and it helps me by tiring me out so I can get some sleep like half hour to an hour just like wallywogs said tonic water because of the quinine but you need loads of it for it to help I believe I maybe wrong you can get quinine on prescription in tablet or liquid form anyway last time I got it was so bad I had to take valium prescribed by the doctor in the detox I was in several years ago. Another thing that helped was vibrational therapy it helped me alot I really loved it its worth a try if you can find someone that does it or look on the Internet and find out how your friend or partner can do it for you. Wish you all the best around restless legs syndrome especially the ones that suffer from it without going through withdrawals from drugs.

You nailed it. I wish I knew about gabapentin so long ago. Most people relapse because of the insomnia due to RLS but I finally went to a sleep doctor who prescribed me gabapentin and now im 17 days clean. Addiction doctors tend to use muscle relaxants, etc, which have no affect at all on RLS. If you get clonidine and gabapentin and you will get through w/d.

Gabapentin just helped me BREEZE through suboxone WD. I'm on day 9 and had NO RLS, no shits (no shit!), no tremors, sweats, or vomiting. I also used some clonodine. Did not use benzos either (had to kick those 8 months ago, not falling into that trap again). The only symptom(s) that got me was the energy drain... and a bit of insomnia roughly 3 mornings. And a 2/10 RLS for about 3 hours a few nights into WD.

I've had the pleasure to kick H, Fentanyl, and various pills on multiple occasions and I WISH i knew back then what I know now about the gabapentin and clonodine combo.

I also used clonodine during H WD as the sole source of a comfort med.... for a few hours after taking it, I felt COMPLETELY normal. I was also in combo WD with Xanax.

TO answer the OP... Gabapentin and Clonodine. Throw in a few valiums and WD can be a cinch.

EDIT - WD are NEVER a cinch... they suck no matter what. But the symptoms can be nurtured granted you find the right comfort meds during WD.

Last edited: