• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Colon Cleanse / Cleansing your System / Colonic Irrigation

Placebos do work wonders. But hey, it's your money, I just get angry when people believe bullshit with no sources and anectodes rather than doctors with years of experience and actual sources.

If you are mainly healthy, fit and robust person do you need to have it done at all? Possibly not , as like I said, everybody has different needs. I needed it at this point in my life as I was making a huge change in lifestyle and needed some help. I don't think that is "a waste of time" or a bunch of "utter nonsense" if you ask me.
While I totally respect your experience, there is always the possibility that it was a placebo effect, with the real effects coming from your diet and exercise. I'm not trying to kill your enthusiasm or anything, I'm just saying stick to the facts.

As a case in point for colonics , take pneumonia.
This is a stretch and I'm not even sure it's true.

Even the United States Health Service, in a rare display of candor, admitted several years ago that over 90% of Americans are walking around with clogged colons. What goes in must come out....eventually. In the meantime it can fester for years , cripple or even kill you.
A dubious claim at best (if true). Once again the word "fester" appears, scaring people into thinking they have a bunch of rotting feces sitting in their gut. The truth is that the colon is specifically designed to produce feces and it does so very well unless you have a disease of some kind, or have a deficient diet. I REALLY doubt that 90% of americans have "clogged colons" (whatever that means, anyway).

Toxemia is the real culprit in almost all degenerative diseases and degenerative conditions. It explains, for example, why under precisely the same conditions of exposure some people catch colds and other contagious diseases while others remain completely immune.
Not only far-fetched, this shows that the author lacks basic knowledge of immunology.

Look, the colon is basically a bacterial environment. Your colon houses many specific types of bacteria that are essential for digestion of nutrients. Without them we would die of vitamin deficiency, among other things. Inside the colon, there are billions of bacteria participating in a little bacterial ecosystem. There has to be the proper balance of the right kinds of bacteria. Your body will naturally create the correct environment for the desired kinds of bacteria. The mammalian gut has been doing this for hundreds of millions of years. If you are eating a diet of good natural foods and exercising, your colon will harbor a good bacterial population.

Anyone who consistently breaks the laws of nature will ultimately be sentenced to chronic disease and early death by mother nature.
Baseless fear-mongering.....for what purpose I truly don't know.

It is pointless to embark on a major new dietary program until you have first flushed all the accumulated, impacted debris and poisonous residues from your former dietary habits out of your digestive tract.
Again, the author has no proof that there is any impacted debris or poisonous residues in anyone's colon. What he is saying makes sense only if you buy his premise.

If his premise is true, why aren't there hundreds of journal articles devoted to this huge problem? I did both a PubMed and Blackwell-Synergy article search for "Colon" and "autointoxication" and I found nothing. If there was indeed some western conspiracy to coverup the beneficial effects of colon cleansing, then why wouldn't I find anything on these international sites?

That is my little story and I definitely DEFINITELY am not forcing this down people's throats , no way.
OK fine, but you have to admit that you are presenting an idea that is questionable, bordering on completely false. Your own personal experiment isn't a good measure because you were also making other positive changes in your lifestyle at the same time.

I haven't seen any published work that substantiates any of the claims made about colon cleansing. And the reason is it probably just doesn't work, and if anything interupts the normal operation of the colon.

If somebody finds a journal article...send it my way. Until then, I'm not squirting anything into my large intestine.

Last edited:
I got the most potent bowel cleanser of them all...Inflamatory Bowel Disease! Can't say I'd recommend it but...

I was considering doing this, but I talked to a friend who had it done while in Thailand. He said it messed him up, he had weird allerigc skin reactions, kind of like prickly heat, really uncomfortable, and was worried that it had somehow robbed him of some protective bacteria he needed. Anyone know the deal with this?

/\ get loads of good bacteria in. Probiotics, Acidophilus, bifidus, etc. Eat lots of raw food, especially sauerkraut (fermented white cabbage) is good. Best to add a variety of these beneficial microorganisms. You could also use EM-1, which contains a matrix of some 90 different microorgamisms all beneficial for the human body. http://www.scdworld.com/shop/product.cfm?product_id=040101

There's also a number of "green foods" that have enzymes + probiotics in them. And avoid refined flour/sugar, etc. as "bad" bacteria thrive on them.

I have done several fasts with colonics etc, all in Thailand as well, but I haven't done this for a couple of years. The last one I did left me feeling pretty washed out, with my energy reserves much depleted, and it took me awhile to get my strength back. I now believe fasting is not for every body type (I'm skinny and slightly hypoglycemic), and I don't think I will do it again in the bear future (well, not 7 days any more, anyway).

Colonics... I do think they can be very beneficial. An alternative you have is to just drink bentonite clay (or any other mineral earth) in water, and add psyllium husks, a great bulking agent which will leave you full and not hungry.

Both the clay and the husks can absorb many times their own weight in toxins (and nutrients! careful about your timing if you take supplements) and will help eliminate all sorts of weird things from your colon. Or try to eat just brown rice (round grain, not long grain) for a week, no salt, no nothing with it whatsoever... and see what comes out of your colon.... it's not just rice, even though that's all you'll have been eating. Great awareness raiser and I guess a good way to cleanse.

peace

Colonic Irrigation

I've just recently discovered the great benefits in getting colonics done. I never thought about it before, because the rectum can be quite a touchy subject.
But to me that is the reason why there are an enormous amount of people diagnosed with colon cancer.

Irrigation should be the 1st step to flushing the body of toxins. Most american adults have an enormous amount of undigested fecal matter inside their intestines. I don't need to tell you that this creates problems. From the info I've gotten, you should be dumping at least twice a day, and it should be extremely easy to do, i.e. no straining or pushing. If it's difficult or you need reading material in your bathroom, then you are probably constipated.

The actual irrigation should be painless and after time will feel quite relaxing.
One place I've seen inserts a pencil-thin tube about half an inch into the rectum, and the water is gravity-fed, so there's no extra pressure.

Personally I believe if one can maintain a clean colon & digestive tract, then one can GREATLY reduce the amount of disease that will grow in the body over time. One must also cleanse other parts of the body, and reduce the amount of toxins going in (the most difficult part for me).

Watch ur ass! %)

I've been known to do this occasionally. A *large* enema bag is helpful (those reddish-colored rubber ones) and I use mineral oil. Generally two irrigations with mineral oil/warm water, followed by a plain warm water to rinse out all the oil. For best results, hold first two irrigations in for at least 10 minutes. It's incredible what kind of crap this ends up getting rid of.

Another friend of mine did a 7 day fast and daily colonic. He said it was gross, but he feels a lot better, his digestion is better, and he says he has way more energy too.

i always thought about doing this. i tried unikey's anti parasite bull crap. it didnt work, but i was going to the bathroom nicely.

anyone know of any good colon cleanse products other than fiber?

Beeing a rational mind, I started to study health and exercise to improve my health when I was 20. I had good effects from some of the supplements I have taken, either proven life-extensioner/body optimisers (ALCAR, ALA, Piracetam, rhodiola...) and from cycles of pro-organ supplements (probiotics/sylmarin for liver).

It is recently that I have dabbled in the territory and detoxification. Only made sense to me as a rational mind that no machine is 100% efficient at clearing out the polluant byproducts of the ongoing biological process we call life, with main intrants being gas and food.

Research was scarcer on this subject, though. At least on the Western side.

I had to try, though.

3 months ago I did 3 liver flushes in a month. Followed the good protocol, with added malic acid and epsom salt for opening the tubes.

My 2 main motivations for the experiment where:

A) Have a personal opinion on the subject.
B) See if it could improve my rosacea (began 2 years ago, under control but always a fight.) In both the biological and energetic systems, the liver is linked to skin health.

The 2nd flush was the most striking. I woke up at night after taking the olive oil, and I felt very hot. My face was red, flushed and almost painful, one of the worst rosacea flush I've had. My liver and gallbladder felt big and hot.

Next day after more oil and epsom I went to the toilet 10 times. A putrid mix came out, mixed with hundreds of floating stones, yellow, green, a few black ones.

Some will say the stones are formed from the combination of grapefruit and oliveoil.

I don't know the answer to that.

I have eyes and a nose though. What came out was just plain nasty, with various shades of sulfuric, metallic, acidic-acetic effluves.

I don't care if the stones are in the gallbladder or not, my experience and the one of so many is that by smell only, a multitude of inhabitual, heavy compounds are released. Crazy.

The day after a flush you feel low energy but strangely zen and calm. My gf had the same experience too.

The next few days I realized my skin resistance to heat had improved. Fatty evening meals causes noticabely less inflammation.

Results have been pretty permanent so far, I will do a cycle again to see how far things can improve.

My gf have always have digestion problems, causing her to feel bad sometimes and miss 1-2 days of work a month.

She said the liver flush diminished the number of vertigos and liver pain she has periodically.

Encouraged by the results, we both did a colonic by a profesional: aloes water for cleaning, probiotic after etc.

I did felt good for the next week, lighter and more vibrant. I didn't have digestion problems before as I've been eating well for years now.

The colonic made a bigger difference for my gf though, notice better digestion once again.

A month later I could see her skin had improved too.

My point is, I'm all for rational and scientific health, subjects I have studied part-time for the last few years.

Both liver flushes and colonics fall aside the litterature I'm used to consult. My rational mind has protected me from the placebo effect often in the past, but this time after 4 months I cannot put the sensed effect for me and her on a self-created impression of truth, as I didn't "want to be right" about those 2 subjects in the first place anyway.

Think of the thousands of different molecules who have traveled in your digestive track for the past 25 years, byproducts + environmental pollution combining in small but iterative quantities into various other compounds, some making glue, other soap, other acids or alkaline ashes... Some sticking to the walls, getting emprisoned by bacteries (good or bad) etc.

High fiber diet and exercise are like using tiny shaking mops with strings attache to clean a room.

It does the job of keeping things in order (read: functional, able to digest+defect adequately) for most people.

But for the crap that sticks in the corners, it doesn't work that good.

In the end, everyone can argue about this until the end of time. The skeptics should do just like me and actually try 3-4 liver flushes (costs almost nothing) and some colonics( 70$ here for one, %covered by insurance as naturotherapy).

Hard to refute the visual and olfactive information that SOMETHING (read: some thingS) are coming out of your ass the day after a liver flush that are foul in nature bringing back memories of industrial waste and pesticids dispersing.

If it doesn't do a thing, then you'll be certain.

For me and many others, it has been a nice suprise, and something to repeat to see if further improvements can be seen on various health aspects.

People often underestimate the complexity and delicate balance of the body, and how many subtle things are interelied. Ex: health of a particular organ (liver) and mood/thoughts patterns. But that's for Eastern medecine, right? ;)

For example, most people (including some here, it seems) think the function of the liver is to digest fat and alcohol.

Which is a childish simplification, and almost a denial of reality.

The truth is, the liver is implicated in a few dozens of important metabolic roles, and is globally part of a few hundreds of chemical reactions on the micro/macro scale.

And guess what? the role of the digestive system is in the same complexity range.

No machine is 100% efficient, entropy catches on and disorder inevitably comes, until energy is used to brind order back (physics law).

The ass is a touchy subject for some people, which correlates with the lack of opening/studies/recognition of defecation/elimination/detoxing as part of a healthy lifestyle.

Our occidental minds are geared to think in term of INPUT. To have something work, you need to give it energy/molecules (drugs) to change things/improve/bring back balance.

We often ignore the OUTPUT part of a system. How to keep it clean?

So we have created plants and businesses to create INPUT (energy/goods/services), without thinking about what the input/system was creating in process (thousands of polluants/wildlife disparition/ecosystems/stress and mental illness for workes of said society).

The same thing is happening here. People think their organs will stay in good condition if they eat somewhat good with somewhat exercice all their life.

The reality is, even with all the good intention in the world, an individual using these methods will have organs in a "good enough" condition that might last them for a long run.

However, thinking that a human host of 1000s of chemical reactions, eating in a non-optimal way in a polluted world for 40, 60, 80 years will have a great digestive system by some good eating and some running is, when considered with a logical and critical view, a fallacy. Or in a more emotional view, wishful thinking from people who do not want to look at what is "inside" of them, at what is "nasty", be it matter or emotions.

See Input (western) vs Output (eastern) philosophy.

And even if you believe that the human body is made to sustain almost perfect cleanliness/order for each organ over decades and that eating lettuce and running on a threadmill 2x a week is an optimal combination, the fact is that for a long time now, and even more so in 2007, we live in a non-natural world.

The excretory organs of the body (liver+digestive track, skin, lungs etc) weren't made to expel and neutralize nickel, cadmium, mercury, copper overload from water, lead and other heavy metals arsenic, diverse hydrocarburic compounds, pcbs, sulfur, hundreds of different pesticids/insecticids/synthetic fertilizers,
electronic-industrial waste (huge), various chlorids and peroxid compounds, methylic toxins, ammonia, benzofurans, widescale presence of dioxins and furans, etc.

The list goes on and on. Recent studies have shown than a basic test can detect presence of 50-100 (average) substances in most people, including children, some at dangerous levels.

If I can find ways to get some of that out and in the toilet, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
People often underestimate the complexity and delicate balance of the body, and how many subtle things are interelied.
And people also often OVER-estimate the fragility of the body, especially the GI tract. People tend to obsess over it. Just eat a carrot and chill out.

protovack said:
And people also often OVER-estimate the fragility of the body, especially the GI tract. People tend to obsess over it. Just eat a carrot and chill out.

Not something you can do if you have a chronic problem there.

I will try dr natura's product (any1 have experience with it) in combination with exercising,reducing meat,increasing fruits/vegetables, and when i feel lighter & cleansed I will use some psychedelic :)

I am bumping this thread because I just had to share this essay for those who would like to know how a colonic irrigation really feels like :D
NSFW:
NEW YORK - COLONICS

We had colonics yesterday. Can you say, "Life-changing epiphany"? Wow. From now on it's a living foods diet, oxygen supplements, and Hatha yoga daily. The best thing about a colonic is...

Just kidding! Fuck living foods and yoga. Colonics are fun though.
We had to go to a super fancy Upper East Side salon. It was one of those two-story haircutting, massage, and aromatherapy castles where rich, bored housewives try and think of new shit to put in their hair to make it healthier. The large gay man behind the reception desk told us to go to the men's dressing room and change, which means that after we got into our big, puffy, white ladyrobes we had to come back down through the entire salon to get back to the waiting area. New levels of shame.
After a brief and very tense wait (it felt like sitting in the dentist's office), a rail-thin Teutonic woman poked her head out from the back of the salon and beckoned us in.
Here is how a colonic goes...
First, you take your robe off and put it on backwards so your ass is hanging out. Then you get up onto a massage table that has a diaper-pad thing taped to the general area over which your sphincter will soon be hovering. You lay on your side facing away from your German colonic-giver and she says, "This will feel a little funny." Then she shoves a greased-up hose into your rectum. It doesn't hurt at all. It is very fucking weird (weird times infinity) but it doesn't hurt. Next, you have to shift back over so that you are on your back. That part is kind of scary because it feels like if you slip and put too much weight on the hose that's protruding from your a-hole, you'll force it way further up there, thus anally raping yourself and puncturing your colon or prostate or whatever it is that sits right inside the back door.
Once you're on your back, your German lady will start gently massaging your stomach and your right leg. Then she will turn on the water. You kind of expect to get slammed up the ass with a jet like a southern cop would spray from a firehose onto a civil rights activist in the '60s, but at first you won't feel a thing. That's because you are SLOWLY filling up with water. The pressure grows and, all of a sudden, you have to take the biggest shit of your life. Or at least it feels that way. Right when you are about to shriek, "Get this fucking hose out of me!!" she releases the water and what feels like 20 pints of waste whooooooshes out of you all at once. The feeling of relief is fucking immense.
There is a little machine against the wall that controls the water flow and gets rid of the waste. It has a window where you can watch what just came out of you shoot by at the speed of light. The first load looked like black milk with chunks of candy bar in it. It was... pretty gross. And pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the little shit-window is brightly back-lit and it was neigh-on impossible to get a photo with actual feces in the frame. Oh well.
It goes on like that for a while: water in until you feel like the fat guy at the end of Monty Python's Meaning of Life, then *click* and a ton of shit blasts out. At this point you will be thinking, "I got this. Colonics are a cinch."
But wait. The water has not yet reached the point of your colon that you will come to call the "hidden shelter of everything that is bad." All the toxins, sad memories, wrong decisions, and regrettable indiscretions from your whole life prior to your colonic live there. These things do not want to get flushed out of you. So they fight. You start to sweat, dig your fingernails into your palms, and curse under your breath. The weirdest part is that this is the portion of the colonic where one of us (OK, it was me) started to get a hard-on. I don't know what it was about the combo of a German lady rubbing my stomach, warm water being pumped up my ass, and the demons of my past flying around the room like those things that come and get you when you die in that movie Ghost, but there it was: incipient boner. I was actually glad for it, because concentrating on making it go back down took my mind off the LSD-freakout levels of anxiety I was undergoing.
Then the bad stuff passed, just like that. Once that happens, you are nearing the end. The little shit-window looks like water with just an eyedropper of Guinness in it. A few more flushes in and out, then she just pops the hose out of your ass with zero pomp and circumstance. You get ushered into the next room, where there is a toilet, and you're told to sit on it. Your German lady says, "Some people now will expel not so much. Others will have a larger bowel movement." What really happens is you feel like you're taking the most fulfilling shit in history, but then when you proudly spring up and look into the bowl, there is nothing there but brown water. Weird.
That's about it. Go upstairs, change into your clothes, and take a breath mint from the little jar on the counter. You have now had your first colonic. You feel light as air and totally high. You don't ever want to eat a cheeseburger again. You are now officially a fan of colonics. All hail butt blasting!

http://vice.typepad.com/vice_magazine/2006/04/new_york_coloni.html#more

Good thread. I have never had a colonic, don't know if I ever would. But I do know quite a few people who had one and felt great afterwards.

Well, in just the simple matter of absorption alone, impacted fecal matter that forms plaque over time because of a diet poor in fiber can significantly inhibit the absorption of nutrients. Also, more stagnant fecal matter raises your risk of parasites taking hold. Colon health is a key mechanism in our ability to receive the proper nutrients. . . . . and it's spelled "BENEFITS". 8(

Ignorance? I speak only with the knowledge I have learned in college, med school, and the doctors I work with, especially the gastroenterologists. Most people shun away from such an idea like colon cleansing just because of latent issues with sticking anything up their ass and see it as unnecessary and unnatural.
The idea of Colonic Irrigation, is based not just infestation of dangerous bacteria being stagnant in the colon, but this is the after affect of colon constrictures, which also causes constipation.
Mostly, it is bases on psychosomatics, psychological/developmental issues, and many disorders based upon as Obsessive Compulsive Desorders, Narcicisstic Personality etc.
Fluctulance if persistance, is one symptom, as well as constipation, and bad odor in the use of the bathroom. The spynchter is spastic.

The constricrion of the Colon/Sphyncter is the cause of it, as it relates to Sadism, Relationships etc. However, purely physical reasons, due to bad diet and exercise also find a cure, from C/Irrigation.

Drinks and tablets in attempts to cleanse the colon or fibre, do not much but only give temporary relief.
C/Irrigation, gives enormous relief in bloating and they give you electrolytes to replenish the Bacterial flora in the intenstines, as well as what you may lose during the Colonic Irrication.
You must chose a clinic where nurses run it, and make certain of its reputation. I recomend it highly not only for personality desorders, but also all kind of emotional and systemic difficulties.

I know this thread is pretty old, and I could not find the latest post, but what the hell, it may assist someone, I expect the Mr Scientists to come after my butt with their attempts to disprove!

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/137615924-2/jorg=journal&source=&sp=
http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Anal_retentive
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121475707/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://nursingplanet.com/nr///index.php?blog=1&p=27&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Eight Stages of Personality Development
Psychosocial development as articulated by Erik Erikson describes eight developmental stages through which a healthily developing human should pass from infancy to late adulthood. The eight stages represent points along a continuum of development in witch physical cognitive, instinctual and sexual changes to combine to trigger an internal crisis whose resolution results in either psychosocial regression or growth and development of specific virtues.
1. Stage One Oral-Sensory: from birth to one, trust vs. mistrust, feeding;
2. Stage Two Muscular-Anal: 1-3 years, autonomy vs. shame, toilet training;
3. Stage Three Locomotor: 3-6 years, initiative vs. guilt, independence;
4. Stage Four Latency: 6-12 years, industry vs. inferiority, school;
5. Stage Five Adolescence: 12-18 years, identity vs. confusion, peer relationships;
6. Stage Six Young Adulthood: 18-40 years, intimacy vs. isolation, love relationships;
7. Stage Seven Middle Adulthood: 40-65 years, generativity vs. stagnation, parenting;
8. Stage Eight Maturity: 65 years until death, integrity vs. despair, acceptance of one’s life.
Stage 1 - Basic Trust vs. Mistrust - Infancy (Birth-18 Months)
The mouth forms the basis of its first modes or patterns of behavior. The infant is taking the world through the mouth, eyes ears and a sense of touch. Achievement of trust results in positive self-esteem thorough the instillation of self-confidence, optimism, and faith in the gratification of needs.Developing trust is the first task of the ego, and it is never complete. The concept of trust versus mistrust is present throughout an individual’s entire life. The infant’s development of basic trust in the world stems from its earlier experiences with its mother or primary caretaker.
Person who experience a sense of mistrust in the first year of life are likely to develop paranoid or delusional disorders. Basic mistrust contributes to schizoid personality disorder, schizophrenia, substance-related disorders.
Stage 2 - Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt- Younger Years (1-3 Years)
In the development of speech and sphincter and muscular control the toddler practice the social modalities of holding and letting go and experiences the virtue will. Much depends on the amounts and type of control exercise by the adults over the child. Control that is too rigidly or too early defeats the toddler’s attempt to develop its own internal controls, and regression and false progression results. Parental control that fails to protect the toddler from consequences of his or her own lack of self control can be equally disastrous. Main question asked: Do I need help from others or not? This question becomes important with the child and toilet training and how the parents react to the child’s newfound independence.
A person who is fixated at the transition between the development of hope and autonomous will, may develop paranoiac fears of persecution. Perfectionism, inflexibility, and stinginess of the person with obsessive-compulsive disorder may be outcome of pathology emerging from derailed psychosocial development of second stage.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r782441x1m814055/fulltext.pdf?page=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=L5b-CVT
Page 152
http://books.google.com/books?id
Page 372

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/15/5/499.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kL6GIe-iu8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPqILJOXf4&feature=related
http://www.colontherapysupplies.co.uk/

What kind of a doctor does a colon cleanse? Sorry but the threads too long to go through it.