• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Codeine for public speaking

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I wonder if 100-150mg of codeine would be okay for a public presentation? I'm not having one now but I'm in a class and in October, we'll have to do public speaking. Was wondering if codeine would help, make no difference, or actually hinder social anxiety. In comparison to say, 10mg of diazepam.

Codeine will help, and not flatten out your emotions like the diazepam would

For an opiate naive with no tolerance I believe a 100-150mg of codeine is a high dose, correct me if I'm wrong

It is, however that is the dose they provided, so i suppose the assumption was that have a tolerance of some sort.

I wonder if 100-150mg of codeine would be okay for a public presentation? I'm not having one now but I'm in a class and in October, we'll have to do public speaking. Was wondering if codeine would help, make no difference, or actually hinder social anxiety. In comparison to say, 10mg of diazepam.

It should work well -- I have used dihydrocodeine and morphine for this purpose in the past, and many public speakers throughout history have done so by downing lots of laudanum or shooting up with morphine right before a speech. One time that I ate 480 mg of DHC to give one hour presentation as the final examination for a course, it worked wonderfully and the professor jumped my bones three hours later.

I always found opioids good for public speaking, presentations, business meetings etc. Provides some anxiolysis while bringing out the bass in my already deep voice which really gives an authoritative feel to the presentation/negotiation. Benzos can cause excessive disinhibition, fogginess and are notorious for affect flattening/personality suppression. You'll be calm for sure with benzos, but you wont have that deep voiced morphine bravado.

Top on the list of good candidates are drugs like morphine (and by extension, codeine) and methadone. Hydrocodone and oxycodone make less suitable candidates due to kappa receptor agonism.

Benzodiazepines are more effective in reducing anxiety, but are also more effective at causing cognitive difficulty, memory deficits and emotional blunting...

Last edited:
Diazepam for me; codeine causes too much itchiness which won't be great during a public presentation:)
This is a classic situation for using benzodiazepines.

Speaking requires anxiolysis and stimulation at the same time, which is why a narcotic which has exhilaration as a side effect like codeine or DHC works well for it. Some caffeine with it would help.

Careful if you use diazepam, though! Someone gave a 2mg Klonopin before I had public speaking once. I literally do not remember it. I was apparently hilarious, though :ROFLMAO:

I would definitely try the opioid, but in much lower amounts. Thats just me though.

A diazepam might make you too relaxed, I would think it would be the same as drinking and going up there.
I think a lower dosage of codeine would be better for the gait. But that is just my dosing estimate.
I always function with good affirmation and awareness with just an opioid. But that is just me.

However, I am not sure if a diazepam has a strong potency !?

When I have taken diazepam It was extremely relaxing and also good for anxiety, but, however, very relaxing also. As in a mild sedative like the alprazolam.

I haven't been prescribed a valium, though, in a long long time. I have requested. So I remember it not being as relaxing as the xanax can be so i would be a weavy weaving. sincerely though.
goood stuff. just handle carefully then !

Yeah, if you are opioid-naive and don't take an anti-histamine you may end up looking like you have fleas.

That's right -- in this case I suggest chlorphenamine or dexchlorphenamine . . . another one of my favourite recipes for political speeches and foreign-language classes as a young man was a number of codeine hydrochloride or dihydrocodeine bitartrate tablets, orphenadrine tablets or capsules, and an antihistamine which had chlorphenamine, phenylpropanolamine, a little bit of hyoscine, and some caffeine in it. On an empty stomach I actually got a faint echo of what I would later experience with nicomorphine + dextroamphetamine or methylphenidate as far as a tingling rush to the crotch . . .

That's right -- in this case I suggest chlorphenamine or dexchlorphenamine . . . another one of my favourite recipes for political speeches and foreign-language classes as a young man was a number of codeine hydrochloride or dihydrocodeine bitartrate tablets, orphenadrine tablets or capsules, and an antihistamine which had chlorphenamine, phenylpropanolamine, a little bit of hyoscine, and some caffeine in it. On an empty stomach I actually got a faint echo of what I would later experience with nicomorphine + dextroamphetamine or methylphenidate as far as a tingling rush to the crotch . . .

What potency is nicomorphine? Never heard of it from anyone but you before. It sounds like a rolled cigarette with morphine powder in it.

I take Chlorphenamine for itching skin and it's one of the best for it. I'm prescribed it for allergies (pollen, dust, dustmites) but take it with my DHC for that too.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Propanolol…?

Although as KS78 mentioned... This a classic time for when a Benzodiazepine should be used. In fact, I think many doctors (At least in private..) would suggest the same.

5-10 mg Diazepam should be perfect for this type of situation.

Good luck ;)

Nicomorphine is an ester of morphine 2 to 3 times stronger than morphine, in fact the only difference with diamorphine (smack) is that nicomorphine has nicotinyl at the 3 and 6 positions (the precursor in question is the acid anhydride of niacin, Vitamin B₃) rather than acetyl groups . . .

Prior to the invention of the antihistamines in the 1940s and the work on corticosteroids which showed their efficacy around the same time, the preferred drugs for allergies and pulmonary conditions were in fact amphetamines, belladonna alkaloids, and narcotics, with dihydrocodeine, codeine, dionine, hydrocodone, and whole opium being used most frequently, smack being used too when it was legal, with some use of oxycodone, hydromorphone, morphine, and dihydromorphine as well, and enough experimentation with pethidine in the last years of that dispensation to see it didn't really help . . . prior to 1914, and later in some countries, cocaine was much used by allergy & pulmonary doctors, on their patients, I mean . . . barbiturates also had some use in the field. Theophylline was discovered for this a while ago as well, and I think there was actually a chocolate alkaloids hydrochlorides preparation, like the chocolate analogue of Pantopon, in the 1930s.

The fact that the only decongestants which really work are precursors for meth, E, 4-methylaminorex and company is really no surprise -- part of the early work on amphetamine was to get an ephedrine (the wonder drug of the 1880s) which had fewer side effects. The technique of using a drying agent like belladonna, atropine, hyoscine and so on is echoed mainly in diphenhydramine, which was indeed originally the result of French research to get a hyoscine (scopolamine) replacement with a more favourable therapeutic index. Also, when I was given methylphenidate for low blood pressure and dextroamphetamine for somnolence when I was on a rapidly increasing dose of hydromorphone, both of them worked on stuffiness 100 times better than pseudoephedrine. Ephedrine has a dirtier side effect profile including raising blood pressure more -- which is why it works great mixed with oxycodone or oxymorphone and scopolamine as a painkiller.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Propanolol…?

Although as KS78 mentioned... This a classic time for when a Benzodiazepine should be used. In fact, I think many doctors (At least in private..) would suggest the same.

5-10 mg Diazepam should be perfect for this type of situation.

Good luck ;)

Yes, propranolol actually has this as a recognised off-label use and doctors use it all the time to give presentations.

My personal preference would be the benzo, as it is designed for this purpose, but codeine should help if you are new to it!! Would you say it is more mental effects, physical or both?

My personal faves are:

For physical manifestations; e.g I would use Propranolol (beta blocker) 40mg (I had tolerance please try 10mg for first use)

For mental manifestations; e.g 1g Phenibut (2hours previous to your Presentation (I possess a very high tolerance to this, please start lower) the best tailored SA compound for me there is!!

As a combination, not much to match it I’d say ?
Hope this helps!!