Chronic Pain MEGA Thread

Are you directly asking Closeau, or in general?

I'll take a stab in the dark that I think everyone will agree with,- you just learn to deal as best you can & accept you can do some things, but not everything you used to.

Are you seeing a physio? At least if your disc can't be manoeuvred away from your irritated nerve, surgery could be an option.

I've been going to physio once or twice a week. I walked in initially with neck, shoulder, and elbow/ hand pain and numbness and now just have to deal with the elbow and pain and numbness.

It's been almost six months, but my physio helped at least half of my problem, & I was hit by a car!

Ask around, find a good one, & I'd stay away from chiro unless your dr refers you to one.

Rtp

I always thought chiropractors were evil Drs who screw you up. I know that's silly now of course. I hurt my back in high school and went to one and he screwed me up bad. I couldn't walk for 2-3 weeks. When he was working it was painful and pain got worse so I've managed to stay away from them. I know I'm gonna have back problems from sleeping in chairs. I can almost feel it coming. I'll be sleeping in beds next 2 nights but I still have to prop myself up with pillows so in at an angle. If I lay flat I get buildup of output around my stoma and if output sits there to long bag will leak. So if I'm at an angle ityll flow down to bottom. What I really need is one of those beds that inclined like a hospital bed. I'm gonna look into that when I move and maybe I can get a medical one from medical supply. Worth a shot. The commercial ones are thousands of dollars. I'm gonna have too bc my back is already sore in mornings like really sore. Even a recliner would have better lower back support. That's what in getting when I move but money might be tight so gonna go to Walmart to get incline air mattress. I used to have one. Gonna take some time to get furniture. Just need a few things. Anyway my stomach thing is about done. I slept great last night and actually had breakfast this morning. I didn't eat much past few days. It really sucked. I think it was food poisoning. I was very dehydrated but tried to drink lots of water and Gatorade if I could find a flavor that didn't make me naucous. I prob should have been in ER with fluids but I didn't want to go there. I used to go there a lot first couple years I had my clots and they'd give me iv dilaudid and that was nice, lol. So I didn't mind going but after 2 emergency surgeries and another trauma where I came close to death I hate that place. I felt a lump when I was vomiting and got concearned but it was soft. If it was hard me ass would have def went to ER. I tel ya, 20 yrs of heavy drinking just destroyed my GI tract. It doesn't hurt but my abdomen still hurts from dam surgery a year ago. Or maybe it's something else but it's part of my chronic pain. My belly hurts a lot today with normal shit plus muscles that never get used are sore from vomiting. Sounds silly and trite but it's rather painful. Plus my clots have been hurting a lot too. I sum it up to my tolerance being high and Meds not working as well. Can't go higher on Dilaudid I already asked and she's weaning me down to 2 ms Contins a day. Maybe switching back to roxis may help but I don't wanna make any changes before I move. Maybe when I get out there. So I come out here and tell my whole life story without paragraphs, lol. I apologize for the long winded post. Chronic pain sucks and the lengths we all have to go to to feel better sucks too!!! Hi Rtp, hope you're well:)

Are you directly asking Closeau, or in general?

I'll take a stab in the dark that I think everyone will agree with,- you just learn to deal as best you can & accept you can do some things, but not everything you used to.

Are you seeing a physio? At least if your disc can't be manoeuvred away from your irritated nerve, surgery could be an option.

I've been going to physio once or twice a week. I walked in initially with neck, shoulder, and elbow/ hand pain and numbness and now just have to deal with the elbow and pain and numbness.

It's been almost six months, but my physio helped at least half of my problem, & I was hit by a car!

Ask around, find a good one, & I'd stay away from chiro unless your dr refers you to one.

Rtp

No, more of a general question for everyone. It's only been three weeks since the herniation, so surgery is def not a plan yet. I've had a epidural steroid shot that did virtually nothing and norcos and lyrica isnt a long term solution, esp since i have an addictive personality anyways. I see my pain doc today to discuss another shot. Physical therapy is definitely the next step.

The mental aspect is the worst as im a very active guy. In the gym 5 days a week, eat well, etc. The idea that i won't be able to stay as active anymore is just depressing.

I always thought chiropractors were evil Drs who screw you up. I know that's silly now of course. I hurt my back in high school and went to one and he screwed me up bad. I couldn't walk for 2-3 weeks. When he was working it was painful and pain got worse so I've managed to stay away from them. I know I'm gonna have back problems from sleeping in chairs. I can almost feel it coming. I'll be sleeping in beds next 2 nights but I still have to prop myself up with pillows so in at an angle. If I lay flat I get buildup of output around my stoma and if output sits there to long bag will leak. So if I'm at an angle ityll flow down to bottom. What I really need is one of those beds that inclined like a hospital bed. I'm gonna look into that when I move and maybe I can get a medical one from medical supply. Worth a shot. The commercial ones are thousands of dollars. I'm gonna have too bc my back is already sore in mornings like really sore. Even a recliner would have better lower back support. That's what in getting when I move but money might be tight so gonna go to Walmart to get incline air mattress. I used to have one. Gonna take some time to get furniture. Just need a few things. Anyway my stomach thing is about done. I slept great last night and actually had breakfast this morning. I didn't eat much past few days. It really sucked. I think it was food poisoning. I was very dehydrated but tried to drink lots of water and Gatorade if I could find a flavor that didn't make me naucous. I prob should have been in ER with fluids but I didn't want to go there. I used to go there a lot first couple years I had my clots and they'd give me iv dilaudid and that was nice, lol. So I didn't mind going but after 2 emergency surgeries and another trauma where I came close to death I hate that place. I felt a lump when I was vomiting and got concearned but it was soft. If it was hard me ass would have def went to ER. I tel ya, 20 yrs of heavy drinking just destroyed my GI tract. It doesn't hurt but my abdomen still hurts from dam surgery a year ago. Or maybe it's something else but it's part of my chronic pain. My belly hurts a lot today with normal shit plus muscles that never get used are sore from vomiting. Sounds silly and trite but it's rather painful. Plus my clots have been hurting a lot too. I sum it up to my tolerance being high and Meds not working as well. Can't go higher on Dilaudid I already asked and she's weaning me down to 2 ms Contins a day. Maybe switching back to roxis may help but I don't wanna make any changes before I move. Maybe when I get out there. So I come out here and tell my whole life story without paragraphs, lol. I apologize for the long winded post. Chronic pain sucks and the lengths we all have to go to to feel better sucks too!!! Hi Rtp, hope you're well:)

Not at all! I appreciate your openness. My back and nerve pain only allows me to be comfortable on my hands and knees. I can't lay down or sit from the pain. That's probably the worst as my knees and elbows are skinned almost raw. I hope you get the incline right on your bed and you can get some relief closeau! Good to meet you and RTP!

Def azray. I had a painful day. Oh well. I'll elaborate later. I'm tired. I hop you are ok and nice to meet you too. Fill me in on your pain if you can and I'll be on tomorrow. Take care

I feel like such a failure. At the beginning of this month I was doing so well, I had tapered down my oxycodone so much. I actually had 3 days of meds unused on 8-5-16 because of tapering down and I was doing SO well!

Since then emotional and environmental issues like constant rain for a week has completely used my excess meds as well as me being short a day on meds now!

I now don't feel empowered to start the tapering process again and my pain feels worse! I think if I could ever sleep normally again I'd be so much better off!

I feel so broken, like my brain is just broken!! I don't know what I can do but I'm in pain and I'm SO tired! I literally have no options for help!

That sucks aplumgirl. Sleep is so important. I haven't been sleeping at all past week bc I was sick with stomach and vomiting and shit. Turns out it's a bowel infection. I already have no colon. But sleep is key so I'm sure you feel shitty. I also fucked up my pain Meds now I'm behind yet again. I just wish I could get off them and smoke weed but I tried that in Feb and it didn't work. My pain was horrible and the weed almost made it worse. Anyway, you will be in my thoughts. I hate you have nowhere to go. I pray you feel better.

Aplumgirl, I've lost two posts to you sweetie, so I'll keep this short.

I've said those exact same words, & can empathise with feeling broken. When there is nothing left, nowhere to turn, no place to go, no help any more. Not literally, I know you have your hubby & family...

Due to conditions betond your control your need for relief grew higher. Do not beat yourself up.

Look on the positive side, you know now that you can taper & did so to have a stash of 72 hrs worth of pills!! Do you understand the magnitude of that for a cpp?!? So another time when your pain eases back to it's regular state & you've had time to restore your mojo, you can begin to taper once more.(should you wish to).

Sleep is so difficult while in pain. I gather you don't have any benzos or sleeping pills prescibed, -& it doesn't sound as though your dr is the helpful kind unfortunately.!

Apart from what we've exchanged via PM, something else I've used that's been helpful to me is the mantra,- 'This too shall pass, this too shall pass'.

Poor lady, sorry you're going through a such a horrendous time, it won't last forever. Just continue to breathe and get to the other side of this episode,

Rtp❤️

Well my bad medical luck has struck again. I have a pretty bad bowel infection. I went to Dr Wed bc I'd been naucous and vomiting for 6 days. They did bloodworm but they to a sample of my ostomy contents. Dr caked me yesterday with the news. Usual treatment is iv antibiotics in hospital and when I told her my aversion to that she said we can try the oral antibiotic at home for 14 days and see what that does. I got it for 30$ which is cheap cause she sent it to special Duke pharmacy. Every 6 hrs. I haven't vomited in 2 days and nausea is good cause she gave me Zofran the other day. That stuff works so well. I've been able to eat last 2 days. Online is such bullshit. I read on webmd about nausea and vomiting and took their advice and Dr said complete opposite. For instance it said to drink only water and no sugar and Dr told me no and Gatorade is perfect cause it has sugar and salt which help electrolytes soak in to system. I didn't feel dehydrated but Dr said I was. She had me pinch my skin and it just stayed where it was when I let go. I drank a lot thru the vomiting and Gatorade too but lots of water cause I read that shit. Anyway, it hurts down in my lower abdomen on top of the pain I always feel in that region. I've been wanting to take a handful of dilaudid but we all know how that ends up. I don't wanna raise my dosage I want off these things so bad. I'm sick of fighting temptation and coming up short month after month. But I'm scared of the pain I'll endure without opiates. As Rtp might remember I tried to get off the Meds in Feb and it was horrible. The pain was horrendous. Not even my weed helped just hurt. So I know what will happen. I trapped in a body of pain and I can't get out. I'm about ready for some good news. I always only get bad. Bad to worse. Anyway, that's where I'm at. Hope everyone is better than I.

I hope you start feeling better closeau! Hang in there, you're doing great!

Aplumgirl: I have had the same experiences as you... I was able to taper down on my oxycodone and morphine several times over the past 15 months. However, I ended up using those I had accumulated due to either emotional or physical pain issues or a combo of both. I have posted about how I felt I failed miserably. I don't feel that way now. I continue to try and taper, now I am on oxycodone for break through and oxymorphone for extended relief, and am so mindful of taking the least amount necessary.

However, in May I went on a vacation to California, and after being fairly inactive throughout the winter, walked miles for two days in a row, on my arthritic knees, and ended up creating a tendon injury due to walking incorrectly to favor the pain in my knees. It is still healing slowly, with my pain meds just taking the edge off... I use a compounded topical ointment and ice as well.

I refuse to give up on the taper idea. I stopped posting because I felt like I was spinning my wheels, but I felt like reaching out to you to tell you that you have been successful at a taper and have that experience to build upon. I will not give up on tapering.... as it keeps my tolerance somewhat from skyrocketing. I do not want my dosages raised higher, and I have been at the same level of oxycodone for about two years, and extended release about 1 1/2 years.

I learned a lot on BL, especially that I do not want to end up on Subs as treatment here is too expensive for me, even with insurance, and that it will be best for me to jump off where I am if it comes to a situation where I am forced to cold turkey.
I am sending positive energy your way that you make it through this time to a future where you will taper successfully until you get to your goal!

Thanks Moreaux!! Means a lot. I'm trying. Hard not to get on pity pot but I'm doing ok. At least I'm not naucous or vomiting and I can sleep. Last weekend I'd fall asleep and wake right up to vomit. No fun at all. But I appreciate your comment. How are you fairing with your Meds?

Thanks Erikmen. I hope so. No vomiting or nadeau but very fatigued even though I slept well. Guess it's the infection. It's funny, I went to my store this morning and came out with a coffee, a slurpie, and filled up my jug with cherry Dr Pepper. Not healthy but I drank Gatorade all night so I needed my fix. The store is a chain at Exxon gas stations and the good store is a bit far just for drinks but I went this morning cause they have about 20 drinks on fountain and cotton candy slurpie so it's worth the 7 mile drive. Anyway, thanks for the support

I have suffered from Pre-Parkinson's neuropathic pain for almost 15 years. Something I've noticed is that any consistent pain, no matter the intensity, can break you down psychologically like no other. What I suffer from, it has no 'solution'. So I've had to do what I can to cover and mask it as well as I can.
I am a recovering Heroin addict, so I refuse to take narcotics, since this ultimately leads me back to a place I have no desire to ever revisit. But yes, most of my drug addiction in the past was mostly due to the mental breakdown, and the intense fear of having the pain return. This is not the only reason; like many others, it was also a way to numb any feelings or emotions I've been unable to deal with so far in life.
I remember having my neurologist tell me that what I was feeling would never go away, and the panic/depression that followed. Science is a wonderful thing, though, and anything untreatable is only so because of current limitations. Keeping positive in these situations is something near impossible, but I lie to myself and hopefully that will positively effect the psychological aspect of chronic pain.

Hell yes. I get piss tested all the time and I'm always clean. Had a few pill counts too. I would love to fire up a big fat one but I sacrificed myself to combat my pain. I love my Oxycodones and Dilaudids, and I love to ram em home, and have od'd 4 times. I guess I have a death wish but my spine is being eaten alive by osteoarthritis and also severe neuropathy in my feet that's killing me a little every day.

Thanks everyone for the posts and we'll wishes, I've just gotten a new phone and finally remembered my password!!

I've read every post and they helped me a lot, either by knowing someone went through this before or just feeling understood by someone, it all helped and I'm so grateful!

I've slept a little better lately and my mood just improved drastically by that alone.

I can't say much improved by tapering standards but hey, that's for another day.

I just wanted to thank everyonr, BLUE is such a Godsend. I've never felt understood or accepted due to being SO different bc of my pain but I'm so appreciative of this community like no one would believe.

Another day to do my best, I'll try. Good luck everyone. Have a great day!

Oh, Muzda! Memory lane, indeed. Those filthy triple Mitsus...

Old man rant incoming:

Kids these days don't know what they are missing with those old dirty, smacky pills. I remember going to pick up weight and looking through the bags for the ones with the biggest brown chunks in them lol!

So many good memories were created as were so many bad habits. Pipe and slippers for me these days, thanks.

Aplumgirl: I have had the same experiences as you... I was able to taper down on my oxycodone and morphine several times over the past 15 months. However, I ended up using those I had accumulated due to either emotional or physical pain issues or a combo of both. I have posted about how I felt I failed miserably. I don't feel that way now. I continue to try and taper, now I am on oxycodone for break through and oxymorphone for extended relief, and am so mindful of taking the least amount necessary.

However, in May I went on a vacation to California, and after being fairly inactive throughout the winter, walked miles for two days in a row, on my arthritic knees, and ended up creating a tendon injury due to walking incorrectly to favor the pain in my knees. It is still healing slowly, with my pain meds just taking the edge off... I use a compounded topical ointment and ice as well.

I refuse to give up on the taper idea. I stopped posting because I felt like I was spinning my wheels, but I felt like reaching out to you to tell you that you have been successful at a taper and have that experience to build upon. I will not give up on tapering.... as it keeps my tolerance somewhat from skyrocketing. I do not want my dosages raised higher, and I have been at the same level of oxycodone for about two years, and extended release about 1 1/2 years.

I learned a lot on BL, especially that I do not want to end up on Subs as treatment here is too expensive for me, even with insurance, and that it will be best for me to jump off where I am if it comes to a situation where I am forced to cold turkey.
I am sending positive energy your way that you make it through this time to a future where you will taper successfully until you get to your goal!

Thanks SO much for your message! It's good to know I'm not alone in this experiennce. I know how terrible it feels having to have to take mess when it seems half the young world is just "rewarding" their drug habit! At least that's how I feel.

I'm still on track for being OK at the end of the month, but just barely.

I'm tryino to be upbeat, telling myself I can start trying to taper again as soon as I want. Tbh though, it's hard to "want to" but I have a reason to try.

I just wanted to thank you for feeling the desire to reach out. I know that can be a real struggle and I surely appreciate what you wrote!

Such a shame that those with legitimate pain have to feel so wary and ashamed of managing their pain. I've always been a manipulative drug addict and most of my "injuries" were trumped up in the hopes of stronger drugs.

I carry a lot of guilt for being part of the reason why those in genuine pain have to fight uphill for their comfort!