• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Christian Rätsch dead at 65 - a German anthropologist and writer on topics like ethnopharmacology, psychoactive plants and animals

izo

Bluelighter
just read thst christian rätsch just passed away. i met him once at a psychedelic convention in 2004 where the gave a lecture. all i remember is a native tribe from south america that he visited when they made one of their psychedelic rituals. he mentioned that they ingested a psychoactive plant and they all began shitting and vomiting alltogether at the same time and that this might be something psychedelic. during the break he wandered through the front area of the University of Applied Sciences where the convention was helt smoking a fat joint. i got my first methylphenidat there from another drug forum member i knew, some guy that also cooked DOB, this all happened years ago. long time no see of these german drug forum members. maybe one or two of them might read this over here...

i didnt like him too much from his appearances in public and mass media, hes this sort of hippie person that i cannot find really exhilarating but he was a certain luminary in his field of ethnoüharmacology and his "Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants" is a real must have.

anyway, rest in peace christian.

Last edited:
just read thst christian rätsch just passed away. i met him once at a psychedelic convention in 2004 where the gave a lecture. all i remember is a native tribe from south america that he visited when they made one of their psychedelic rituals. he mentioned that they ingested a psychoactive plant and they all began shitting and vomiting alltogether at the same time and that this might be something psychedelic. during the break he wandered through the front area of the University of Applied Sciences where the convention was helt smoking a fat joint. i got my first methylphenidat there fron another drug forum member i knew, some guy that also cooked DOB, this all happened years ago. long time no see of these german drug forum members. maybe one or two of them might read this over here...

i didnt like him too much from his appearances in public and mass media, hes this sort of hippie person that i cannot find really exhilarating but he was a certain luminary in his field of ethnoüharmacology and his "Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants" is a real must have.

This is sad.. I actually tried messaging him less than a year ago regarding Melipona beecheii honey (of which he’s the only other person besides myself to experiment and write about it) but I believe it was more than likely an associate who responded.

This man is Shulgin tier in my book. I’ll eat some Melipona tonight in honor of him.

-GC

This man is Shulgin tier in my book. I’ll eat some Melipona tonight in honor of him.

he alwyas praised the shulgin approach of inventing and testing new self made psychoactives on his own and then bring them out on maket. an approach that is not that rare in the academic world but no chemist or scientist i willing to speak inpublic about his first bioassay of a new psychoactive. they bring out a paper with binding information and thats it. if youre not in the circle of these persons you get no additional info. thats how they are. shulgin did it his way, also spread some misinformation despite knowing better but thats normal, hofmann did this and many others, too. there are some really dumb idiotic papers out there even in respected journals spreading crap and not even funny misinformation, willingfully. this is paid anti science, academic crap tha noone needs but some idiots up there find it funny...

he alwyas praised the shulgin approach of inventing and testing new self made psychoactives on his own and then bring them out on maket. an approach that is not that rare in the academic world but no chemist or scientist i willing to speak inpublic about his first bioassay of a new psychoactive. they bring out a paper with binding information and thats it. if youre not in the circle of these persons you get no additional info. thats how they are. shulgin did it his way, also spread some misinformation despite knowing better but thats normal, hofmann did this and many others, too. there are some really dumb idiotic papers out there even in respected journals spreading crap and not even funny misinformation, willingfully. this is paid anti science, academic crap tha noone needs but some idiots up there find it funny...

As do I.. My goal before I die is to bring to light a new natural psychoactive compound. I’ve got high hopes I’ll make that happen.

Who’s putting out misinformation for the lolz?

-GC

Who’s putting out misinformation for the lolz?

oh there are some papers that are full of shit. could post some. shulgin published nonsense in an obscure journal for example. and some information in pihkal were also wrong.

hofmann talked gibberish when it came to the invention of lsd for example. read it just a while ago. it was total nonsense...

i could post some papers with wrong information, but im too lazy atm. examples include that tramadol was found in the roots of an african plant, simply not possible.
the other is the myth that diazepam is found in potatoes, also not right.
and there is a recent paper that states that w-15 is not a mu agonist. this is also nonsense...

and how you could identify tianpetine as a ssre for years is beyond anything understandable. this is idiots talk from idiots, not being able to do their job as a scientist. everybody bioassaying tianeptine recognizes very fast that its a mu agonist. idiots all over the place, not being able to make a reasonable joke just talking crap like any idiot on tv or o the streets. science? signs of weakness when it comes to neurophsychopharmacology...

david nichols seems to be rather clean through his work, glennon just demonstrated that he has to present nonsense about cathinones in one of his last papers. sad to read, thought he was inert to it. but talking nonsense in a post 2020 paper about cathinones is just ridiculous. its not big neuroscience when you are dealing with cathinones. its a rather an easy class of psychoactives. but he had to present shit...

it is present everywhere. being it the usual papers filled with crappy ideas of false information or the usual simpleminded doctors that seem to find it useful to fuck normal people in dead serious conditions up with psilocin. lsd derivates or 4aco-dipt/4aco-dpt would be much more appropriated but idiots are idiots so mengele style psychopharmaclogy goes on. not like in the 1940s but its close. mankind is a total fuckup, you dont have to criticize academiacs for it. just watch some telley.

Last edited:
How did he die? I can’t find that info, although haven’t looked much…

-GC

How did he die? I can’t find that info, although haven’t looked much…

Rätsch died at the age of 65 from an undiscovered stomach ulcer, which he had staunchly tamed over the years.

always thought that he looked somewhat like an indian (a redskin you know), not like the typical indoeuropean. anyway hes dead but his enzyklopädia is great, thats what he left beyond.

Rätsch died at the age of 65 from an undiscovered stomach ulcer, which he had staunchly tamed over the years.

always thought that he looked somewhat like an indian (a redskin you know), not like the typical indoeuropean. anyway hes dead but his enzyklopädia is great, thats what he left beyond.

It is, I can see it right now on my bookshelf. Probably my most coveted book to be honest.

-GC

Probably my most coveted book to be honest.

well, i sold my copy of pihkal. they are somewhat essential the 2 shulgin bibles but having the second part online i wasnt in need of having the first part at all. all in all i got some grams of weed out of the ebay deal. but the enzyclopädia is somewhat more essential. you need hours to get the same information from pubmed referenced papers. and its pretty extensive, there are only few plants that are not contained.

all i remember is a native tribe from south america that he visited when they made one of their psychedelic rituals. he mentioned that they ingested a psychoactive plant and they all began shitting and vomiting alltogether at the same time and that this might be something psychedelic. during the break he wandered through the front area of the University of Applied Sciences where the convention was helt smoking a fat joint.

Sounds like a cool guy. RIP :cry:

he deserved his doctor totally justfied though and was a real luminary in his field. maybe somewhat too much of an icon like the shulgins where also. but what can i say they had their life as drug advocates...

as said i didnt like his style. he was willing to present himself in the mass media and being a total jerk, though he had his fans which is totally understandable. but i didnt like him personally...

How was he a jerk? I didn’t follow him just know of his work.

-GC

as said i didnt like his style. he was willing to present himself in the mass media and being a total jerk, though he had his fans which is totally understandable. but i didnt like him personally...
I did not like him as a person either, as he came across as narcisscistic or a know it all, but his encyclopedia about drugs/plants is impressive. Rest in peace.

He looked European to me, not native American/Indigenous, maybe you mean he looked much like a hippie from the mid-late 1960s or very early 1970s?

Last edited:
just read thst christian rätsch just passed away. i met him once at a psychedelic convention in 2004 where the gave a lecture. all i remember is a native tribe from south america that he visited when they made one of their psychedelic rituals. he mentioned that they ingested a psychoactive plant and they all began shitting and vomiting alltogether at the same time and that this might be something psychedelic. during the break he wandered through the front area of the University of Applied Sciences where the convention was helt smoking a fat joint. i got my first methylphenidat there from another drug forum member i knew, some guy that also cooked DOB, this all happened years ago. long time no see of these german drug forum members. maybe one or two of them might read this over here...

This is 100% up my street.

Och schade 😔 mocht ihn immer ganz gern