• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Careers that are compatible with marijuana use?

leadership roles aren't for everyone.

Definitely not. Had this talk with a few people at work a while back. If I were a supervisor I'd probably find myself firing fuckin' everybody and then wondering why the hell nobody shows up the next Monday.

I don't have the patience anymore to try and manipulate people into doing what I want/need them to, which is generally how I perceive most managers to work. I like to be given a task and then go get that shit done. I really don't like to deal with people that bullshit on the clock and procrastinate, and when you're in a leadership role you pretty much have to take the good with the bad until you're at a point where you're able to replace the bad. Keep in mind that most of my work experience has been unionized and in union shops, so us common workers tend to have tons of contractual job security and it can go to their heads really fast.

I used to work in the food industry and call centre work and yeah a lot of them were mid-20s buddha heads. That kind of work sucks though. I know some people who can hack it but I think everyone hits a wall at some point and just starts coming into work every day thinking "I want to get out of this". Skilled trades is probably the best option, you can earn good money and it's easy to do something that just requires rote memorization and a bit of physical labour while stoned.

Massachusetts is about to have a functioning MMJ program. That opens up opportunities as a budtender, growing assistant, trimmer, retail manager, infused foods manufacturer, ancillary businesses (there's a million!), etc etc... (probably dependent on not having a felony record unfortunately)

Depending on what you're interested in, pretty much any industry has opportunities to not be drug tested. Working for yourself is also a great way to achieve this. Home construction/contracting, landscaping are some of the most common. If you're smarter/independent you could study to become some kind of counselor. There's also lots of jobs in the Health Care industry, but those are more likely to drug test.

Working for yourself as IT is a good gig. IT as a career IMO is a can't miss.

I work IT internally at a professional office and could be stoned all day, but the environment isn't good for it. So I just puff after work. However our outside IT guy (the one I call when I can't fix shit) runs his own business as IT. Him, his wife as the accountant and one employee. It's a great gig for a stoner. Kinda like cooking; you can really get into the zone of IT work as fucked up as that sounds. Building workstations is fun stoned. My wire management isn't rushed and the end result is a very well built custom workstation.

Find a career with a skill you feel you could get sucked into. The best jobs are the ones where you're losing track of the day because you're busy and in the zone.

Biggest issue for me is the environment (set & setting). I've been blazed at work, but it's honestly not that fun.

Retail was hella fun stoned. I basically lived the movie "Clerks" a few times. Probably the best time of my life working. However that was over a decade ago and a lot of retail jobs suck now. You can work you way up though. Once you've become a store manager you're next inline for being a "District Manager". Personally if I could I would just be happy being the store manager. DM's are hated as they only care about the numbers and nothing is ever good enough. Retail store manager is a decent gig too and also one where one could be stoned and productive.

Lastly as others said; focus on a career you feel will be rewarding; not one that is drug friendly.

i found one. "peer support counselor." i have to look into it but it's counseling people with a mental illness by someone with a mental illness. the doors wide open, i had an opportunity present itself today. i may have to get a card to smoke for this job though (i'm in massachusetts.) obviously i wouldn't try to counsel people under the influence, that would be unethical IMO.

I only smoke weed i spent 10 days in the hospital overdosing on hard drugs and dissociatives had me 5150.

If you get good enough skills in something you'll find that drug use is overlooked. Drug laws are only ever used to punish poor people. You want a professional job doing something you enjoy doing stoned. Something creative or scientific would be ideal, engineering, IT, cooking, design, music, etc.

What do you guys do in IT? I never imagined being stoned and working in information technology being very compatible.
Isn't that one of the biggest caffeine-consuming fields?

Last edited:
What do you guys do in IT? I never imagined being stoned and working in information technology being very compatible.
Isn't that one of the biggest caffeine-consuming fields?

Caffeine works great with weed, especially tea, but redbull & coca cola work well too, takes away the tiredness that weed can sometimes give. The palpitations aren't that bad, it's not as if you have to stop weed to get a caffeine habit. Sometimes I do a bit of programming between cups of tea, other times I might make a website, or admin a server.

Any job that involves a lot of sitting down & drinking tea works great with weed.

Caffeine works great with weed, especially tea, but redbull & coca cola work well too, takes away the tiredness that weed can sometimes give. The palpitations aren't that bad, it's not as if you have to stop weed to get a caffeine habit. Sometimes I do a bit of programming between cups of tea, other times I might make a website, or admin a server.

Any job that involves a lot of sitting down & drinking tea works great with weed.

Ah okay. That's pretty cool. I actually just read today that silicon valley is apparently full of pot smokers, so I guess that makes sense.

Exactly. As I said it just allows you to get in the zone and sucked into what you're doing. If no one bothers me at work I can get a lot of work done while stoned. It's almost like ADHD medicine for me.

Hahahahahaha, I couldn't agree more. I'm a lead line cook and all we do is blaze in the kitchen. it's honestly a PERFECT stoner job. it gets fast paced at times but a "stoner friendly" fast paced. If you're in a transitional period it's a good job because of the room for minor advancement or just use it as a stepping stone. shit every chef I've worked for, (of all calibres) is a stoner.