• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Careers that are compatible with marijuana use?

treezy z

Bluelighter
I'm looking to take the dive into a career. I'm 27 and don't earn much. I have money to get a certificate in something (not enough for college.)

Many states allow marijuana use with a card. Due to federal laws, however, an employer doesn't have to honor this.

I love to smoke weed. If there are no careers out there for weed smokers I would quit, it's not that important, but that would not be ideal.

If your looking for a job you can be blatantly fried on the job then I'd say none...
If your looking for one you can smoke on your off time then pretty much any!

Last edited:
Work in a kitchen. If you are lucky you will develop a passion for food if one does not already exist. Maybe you will be good at it maybe you won't be. It's hard work but as a chef I do my best work when I am stoned it puts me in the zone. Too bad I don't have the passion my co workers do because after doing it for years I am a bad ass in a kitchen on the line and just cooking in general following recipes and whatnot. It can be a great creative outlet I guess for some people. Like I said I cook to pay the bills. I don't hate it but it's not my passion. I smoke a whole lot of weed. Getting ready to go back to school man

Most careers in the States are going to have drug testing at one point or another, and likely at points later down the line (like, say, when you advance your career into a more sensitive position).

For the average, weed-smokin' Joe, I'd say the lowest hanging fruit would be a technical trade and/or something involving manual labor (construction, HVAC, electric). Again, though, don't be surprised at having to pass initial drug tests in order to get a decent job in the first place.

...Now that I'm at the end of the post, though, the most obvious answer in the world comes to me: the marijuana trade. It's in a relatively small portion of the country but the trade's a-fuckin' boomin' where the stuff's being legally sold. I've got several friends (read: two) that've already made their way to CO and are involved with legal marijuana in one way or another, so it really can't be all that difficult to break into. Probably has a lot to do with who you know at this point but, fuck, man, the legal marijuana trade is still in it's infancy. Go get involved in that shit.

To be completely honest, though, when making career-choices you should probably focus more on something you'd enjoy doing in some capacity for the rest of your life.... Making decisions that are going to effect the rest of your life based on a habit that in all likelihood is temporary (in the grand scheme of your life) is a good way to end up unhappy and wanting a change somewhere later down the line. $0.02

Last edited:
If your looking for a job you can be blatantly fried on the job then I'd say none...
If your looking for one you can smoke on your off time then pretty much any!

this. at least lower level jobs and entry level jobs... there are some occupations that imo you can't be stoned at, or at least not safely/functionaly- but chances are if your main goal is to be high rather than to make money this won't even be an issue.

not trying to judge tho, I spent a lot of time stoned at jobs.

as far as jobs that won't worry about drug testing, other than drug dealer, cannabis dispensary/bud tender, trimmer/farm hand... it pretty much depends on your boss/supervisor. I have quite a few friends, myself included, who have smoked weed with their bosses and going into work high isn't a problem really so long as things are getting done. I had one job where the lady in the office knew I smoked and made a joke about signing the paper saying that I would take a drug test.

imo, you are better off/more likely to get a job using the skill set and network base that you have to work from and either quit smoking for a while or find ways to pass the drug test. most places that i know use piss tests which are pretty easy to pass for most places.

if you are only looking for a career where you can be high then fuck your imagination is your limit- you could be a janitor, a painter, a pizza delivery guy, tree trimmer, yard maintenance ... you get the picture. If you are looking for a decent career that you can do stoned, while it depends on your skill set. Most decent places to work are not going to be drug friendly what so ever, at least not on any professional work place. Even if there are others who smoke there, in my experience, drug habits are not something you want to share too much with co-workers.

You should specify your question if your aiming at a job that can be done while being stoned or one that can be done with some residues in you (getting stoned after work).

I wouldn't want my heart surgeon to be baked at the job but have no problem with the garbage men doing that (excluding the driver offcourse). Leave the drug testing part out of the equation, it aint allowed on bluelight. Personally I did very well being high and taking care of disabled people, but I must have looked off. So no don't do that please (also to myself).

Working in a coffeeshop selling MJ worked pretty well, but you'd have to live in the Netherlands. And you have to keep your cash register in eyesight with al those shady customers, as later I learned some regulars stole money every chance they got. Caused me to loose the job due to missing money

Last edited:
Commercial fishing tell me more

Well I'm a fisherman and I chief down tons o' the chron lol. No drug tests in this industry and it makes me good money; I only work from May to late August and that supports me through the rest of the year. Although the United States Coast Guard takes an extremely dim view of controlled substances aboard boats...

But yeah, this industry is filled with skilled workers who are also drug addled degenerates who like to blaze and drop a lil' acid every now and then. And then there's the coke scene of course, a holdover from the 80's when everyone in the industry was doing Scarface headplants into massive piles of blow while lighting a blunt with a burning hundred dollar bill. People were fucking up to their ears in cash. Ah, those were the days.

Being high while on the job is of course frowned upon.

call centres, retail, and the service industry

I don't really think most of the jobs to be filled in any of those places would qualify as "career material."

Not many advancement opportunities for a server/cashier.... customer rep, maybe-- I just don't know much about how call centers operate.

I agree with the idea that jobs compatible with smoking weed should be the last thing you are thinking about. You do state you would be willing to quit weed which is a great quality to have. Really all you should do is try to find a good job, jump through all the hoops you need to (there are ways around drug testing use google or get creative) get a good job and find out if you can smoke while your there. You are the same age as me and we both need to realize we are almost 30 and thus need to grow up and in my mind this sounds like a topic for 18 year olds. Yes its a shame that we are judged by what we partake in on our time off but that is how it is for now all we can do is fake it, make it, and hope/push for change so our kids dont need to have this discussion.

I don't really think most of the jobs to be filled in any of those places would qualify as "career material."

Not many advancement opportunities for a server/cashier.... customer rep, maybe-- I just don't know much about how call centers operate.
you can be a trainer, IT, management, scheduling.

in everything there is always management. you can certainly climb the ladder the hard way if you want. I did in retail but it takes alot of time and hard work.

Focus on getting a job that you'll hopefully enjoy, and have the skills for.

Putting a drug first for a job or career choice is not a good thing to do. You will meet people who smoke or use herb probably wherever you work; but the smart ones will keep that aspect of their life separate from work, unless you live in a state or country where it's legal or practically legal.

you can be a trainer, IT, management, scheduling.

in everything there is always management. you can certainly climb the ladder the hard way if you want. I did in retail but it takes alot of time and hard work.

Yeah.... fuck managing people, though. I prefer to be held accountable for my[b/] shit, not other peoples'.

depends on how high your functioning is when you are getting high regularly, tbh i would stop smoking weed to increase motivation and increase chances of finding the right career for you. once you have your foot in some door, start getting high again provided you can still get everything done.