• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can you get high on bupre and methadone as a non addict?

Why are people saying methadone and buprenorphine are not recreational?
Probably because we've had real recreational drugs

Georgia (The country next to Russia, not the US state.) had a major problem from sometime in the 1990's up until the mid 2000's with buprenorphine injectable and sublingual forms being smuggled mostly from France from maintenance supplies to feed the illicit opioid market there.
Thee reason being Heroin in Russia and Eastern Europe is expensive. (For the locals cause of currency exchange.) and buprenorphine was cheaper, lasted longer than Heroin (Only need to dose once a day versus 2 - 3x daily.) and gives a decent rush and buzz when injected, which people were unfortunately doing with the sublingual pills that also contain talc!

Methadone is really popular recreationally in the US and when first used (Either in an opioid naive person or swapping from another opioid.) is equipment to morphine but over time it builds up in the liver (Not the bones like the urban myth!) and ends up being 6x - 8x more potent than morphine and the dextro-methadone is am NMDA receptor antagonists, like ketamine, DXM and PCP, so it's good for neuralgia/nerve pain on top of the levo-methadone being a full mu opioid receptor antagonist and helping nociceptive pain.
It can be recreational, the euphoria isn't as intense as morphine, Heroin or oxycodone but it beats them when it comes to half-life.
Methadone lasts most of the day but the euphoria from morphine, Heroin and oxycodone only last about 3 - 4 hours at best with tolerance.
The danger is the fact that it takes 3 hour's to fully kick in and builds up in the liver, so people not knowing often redose, thinking it's not working and then it all kicks in together and they go to sleep and either aspirate or just stop breathing and die.
Make sure you have naloxone if you're trying methadone recreationally.
tldr + I'm high on recreational drugs

Lol Those kids in Reindeer Spotting were shooting up like 8mg of buprenorphine at a time. I've always wondered why they liked it so much (besides the cost) and if they were really getting 'the nods' at such absurdly high dosages? If they had used smaller dosages, they'd have been able to stretch it out longer. And it would have been more "recreational" with the blood level spikes & drops (one would think anyway).

But yes, buprenorphine was a major DOC in places like Finland and France.

As for OP :
Yes, these two meds can be "recreational" for NON tolerant persons. Although they are not ideal choices for various reason.
And "recreational" can be subjective.
I've seen people throw up and nod out from 0.02mg of buprenorphine.... and they hated it. So was it recreational? I dunno. I think if you're puking and on the verge of passing out every few seconds, whether or not that's 'recreational' is for the individual to interpret.

Potency doesn't always equate to euphoria (which most people seek for recreation). For instance, I find fentanyl (which is 'stronger' than heroin) to lack any euphoria whatsoever. So while it may be more potent, it's certainly not any more enjoyable either. Bupe is similar. It may be 50x more potent than morphine, but it doesn't have the same amount of euphoria. In fact, the 'nods', if you even get them, on buprenorphine are not the euphoric, orgasmic blissful type you get on heroin. Instead they feel more like unchecked dysphoric narcolepsy. And can actually be annoying.

Think of these drugs as more like incredibly potent & strong opioids, with all the side effects of opioids, but none of the fun and much longer acting. Best used for tapering or maintenance. And even then, they're still not perfect.

Last edited:
Lol Those kids in Reindeer Spotting were shooting up like 8mg of buprenorphine at a time. I've always wondered why they liked it so much (besides the cost) and if they were really getting 'the nods' at such absurdly high dosages? If they had used smaller dosages, they'd have been able to stretch it out longer. And it would have been more "recreational" with the blood level spikes & drops (one would think anyway).

it still is... in Finland.... and yea... people mix lots of benzos/pregabalin/booze with it and die

also its far from cheap in nothern Finland ofc depends who u know but it can go up to 100-150€/8mg atleast when theres not much around... dont know abt nowdays propably not that high anymore.... shooting 8mg at once is just stupid but yea junkie do junkie.... doesnt work any better than 2mg

it still is... in Finland.... and yea... people mix lots of benzos/pregabalin/booze with it and die

also its far from cheap in nothern Finland ofc depends who u know but it can go up to 100-150€/8mg atleast when theres not much around... dont know abt nowdays propably not that high anymore.... shooting 8mg at once is just stupid but yea junkie do junkie.... doesnt work any better than 2mg
Wow! I didn't know this!
Thanks for this info!

Yeah, now another way to answer OP's question for tolerant individuals is that bupe can be recreational when mixed with other things, but I figured I'd avoid that subject. lol Even then, I still have a preference for other opioids.

I'm assuming their options (as far as opioids) are limited there. Or at least that's what I remember reading/hearing.

There are genetic preferances for opioids as well. Some opioids might work better or be subjectively better to certain types of people than others.

Ironically, I had a DNA test done by my doctor once, that shows what medicines would work better with my genetic make up and the very first opioid they said worked best for my genetic make up was codeine, but I've never felt anything from codeine. lol So who knows how much that science is reliable, but maybe some populations have certain preferences to some opioids versus others. Who knows, just rambling and speculating. :p

Last edited:
N

Not recreational,because they have sedative heavy feeling.Less short acting are opposite.Much more for substitution than for recr.purpose
Is that your personal opinion? Because people certainly do use maintenance drugs recreationally. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Is that your personal opinion? Because people certainly do use maintenance drugs recreationally. Just because you don't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Ofcourse that my personal opinion.people do everykind of silly stuff.If someone find some recreational in these-go and abused em if it feels ok

Methadone has very little recreational value and what's more it persists way past that brief warm feeling. It's like a background hum that makes you nauseous.
True but it does make one emotionally dead which is kinda what I go for with opioids and benzos. It has a nice nod to it at Hugh doses. The euphoria definitely isn't there though and jt does feel a little dirty.

As for OP :
Yes, these two meds can be "recreational" for NON tolerant persons. Although they are not ideal choices for various reason.
And "recreational" can be subjective.
I've seen people throw up and nod out from 0.02mg of buprenorphine.... and they hated it. So was it recreational? I dunno. I think if you're puking and on the verge of passing out every few seconds, whether or not that's 'recreational' is for the individual to interpret.

Potency doesn't always equate to euphoria (which most people seek for recreation). For instance, I find fentanyl (which is 'stronger' than heroin) to lack any euphoria whatsoever. So while it may be more potent, it's certainly not any more enjoyable either. Bupe is similar. It may be 50x more potent than morphine, but it doesn't have the same amount of euphoria. In fact, the 'nods', if you even get them, on buprenorphine are not the euphoric, orgasmic blissful type you get on heroin. Instead they feel more like unchecked dysphoric narcolepsy. And can actually be annoying.

Think of these drugs as more like incredibly potent & strong opioids, with all the side effects of opioids, but none of the fun and much longer acting. Best used for tapering or maintenance. And even then, they're still not perfect.
This mass using of inj.bupe seen in a doc.movie.was somewhere in some Indian state.Probably is much more cheaper from H and locals used it a lot

Probably because we've had real recreational drugs

tldr + I'm high on recreational drugs

🙄

I use H every so often and can score it within 10 min's of leaving my front door, just cause you don't find (High dose if tolerant!) methadone or bup recreational doesn't mean other's don't.

Your username is Darvocet, a lot of people found that shitty, myself included but I wouldn't say it's not recreational cause some people did use it that way.

Last edited:
🙄

I use H every so often and can score it within 10 min's of leaving my front door, just cause you don't find (High dose if tolerant!) methadone or bup recreational doesn't mean other's don't.

Your username is Darvocet, a lot of people found that shitty, myself included but I would've say it's not recreational cause some people did use it that way.

Hell, I've had good times on every opiate/opioid I've ever tried, including propoxyphene, bupe, methadone, hydros, poppy seeds, etc.. etc... All of it except maybe codeine and loperamide were completely worth the while (with no tolerance). Of course I think everyones toleances are different and I think opioids have their own subjective variables that make one opioid more preferable to one person than another.

I use to love a decent dose of tramadol (300-400mg range) with no tolerance and most people absolutely hate tramadol. Heroin is definitely my preference but I think most opioids have some benefits regardless.

i hear it on the tv all the time things like: methadone is a medicine that doesnt get you high but helps addicts to stay off the heroin. rubbish. when it comes to drugs the mass media is full of shit...

had 40mg methadone once, mixed 10mg with codeine or dhc, it was nice. buprenorphine i had more often, started with 0,5mg and was high as fuck and worked my way up to 8mg daily then i stopped cold. never had any withdrawal from anything. stopping weed after years of daily use resulted in an evening where i had to wait 2 hours to get so sleep. stopping ghb was a bit more icky but still manageable. 2 days no sleep and thats it.

🙄

Your username is Darvocet, a lot of people found that shitty, myself included but I would've say it's not recreational cause some people did use it that way.
I can't even believe I wrote that. But I never blame drugs. Darvocet was a name that I picked because I'm not very creative thinking of names. That's a horrible drug which is the one felony I ever committed but the statute of limitations has now past,
I forged a doctor's prescription for Darvon, because I was young and afraid that I had an opioid habit no I wasn't even afraid I knew. And was afraid and I believe that Darvon was the right medicine because I had read propoxyphene was a modification of methadone. Didn't really help that much with withdrawals it did help some though

As for that other thing that I wrote about methadone and buprenorphine not being fun I can guarantee you if you showed up in my house with either one I would not say no

I can't even believe I wrote that. But I never blame drugs. Darvocet was a name that I picked because I'm not very creative thinking of names. That's a horrible drug which is the one felony I ever committed but the statute of limitations has now past,
I forged a doctor's prescription for Darvon, because I was young and afraid that I had an opioid habit no I wasn't even afraid I knew. And was afraid and I believe that Darvon was the right medicine because I had read propoxyphene was a modification of methadone. Didn't really help that much with withdrawals it did help some though

As for that other thing that I wrote about methadone and buprenorphine not being fun I can guarantee you if you showed up in my house with either one I would not say no

You forged a script for shitty proproxyphene, that's crazy!

You forged a script for shitty proproxyphene, that's crazy!
It was back when they had triplicates for the good stuff, and I wasn't about to do that. I suppose the best thing I could have written it for would have been hydrocodone she's not much better in my book.