• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can weed trigger depression

nah nah nahhhhhh

tsts

nnhmm, y'all think too much, that's right, that's the main issue. I don't deny if someone has pre-existent issue, weed or other freedom utilities may or may not worsen the uhm yeah, but that's on you. I mean if something bad happens, you did it with your hand, right.
Yes sadly:/ but to be honest if I woulda just kept it at weed ehhh idk I’d accept those consequences. But no telling what I’ve put in my body.

Cannabinoids are involved in every bodily function from thinking to eating and to stopping eating.
I must say that while this might be technically true it's entirely irrelevant to whether or not cannabis can trigger depression, and trying to use this fact to justify any position is self-deluding ignorance at best and deliberate deception at worst.

The same could be said of practically any neurotransmitter, serotonin, dopamine, NMDA, etc... It doesn't mean substances that act on these neurotransmitter systems are definitely good for you, or the converse. It doesn't mean anything.

You confuse depression with being mildly irritated, don't. Depression is real and is not caused by running out of anything. Also using every day doesn't 'lose the magic' as you claim, in fact I suspect you don't know what you're talking about and are a reader/contributor to askfrank, a disinformation site run by the UK government and packed with utter nonsense.
However, massive overuse can lead to depression, this is already well known and written about. I have only known one person who suffered from cannabis induced depression, using huge amounts, a virtual chain smoker, who became increasingly depressed over time and incresed consumption accordingly. Slippery slope. But most regular users don't run any risk, if only because to use so much you have to be able to afford it.
Lol I'm afraid you are the one who is confused my Goodman you see depression comes in many many forms from mild to severe as a sufferer myself and decades of witnessing my own mother pathetically losing the will to live so don't be so quick to downplay other people afflictions, curses maybe they can take and hide the pain better than yourself not everyone is weak, not saying you are specifically but most people don't realise mild deppression

Talk to your doctor be careful ending medications.
Just be honest with the doctor tell him/her everything.

You know, as I get more experience under my belt with this whole Life thing, I'm starting to believe that weed unequivocally does NOT cause depression in an otherwise healthy person. What it can do is make you complacent with your depression, which kind of sounds like an oxymoron but I'm still gonna stand by it.

This is a first step to addiction (or just chronic use if you don't buy into weed addiction), because getting high becomes your escape from your mental state, and once you escape temporarily a person's likely to not even care about how to cope with and combat their mental problems when the drug wears off. Continue down that path of coping through self-medication and eventually depression's all you know and weed's your crutch that helps you walk with it.

For what it's worth, I've developed this perspective after being severely depressed for most of my adult life. It still seeps out every now and then and I gotta tell you, those days/weeks are rough. Smoking or vaping those pains away is enticing, and it's the trap I set for myself and fell into years ago. It's a hole that's damned hard to climb out of without some kind of help and support.

*So I thought about it and I think it's a stretch to call my personal issues "severe." They fuck me up a bit, hobble me in a few ways, but I'm still able to break out of it and have never sought treatment or had a diagnosis. So while I've had to deal with hating myself and everyone around me before, it's never been something that stopped me from eventually puttin' one foot in front of the other.

Last edited:
I think i always had depression and that is what led to me starting smoking weed at 13 years old.

Weed was the thing which allowed me to sleep and just numb myself from the word for a bit. In a period of my life in my young twenties when i had a good year with really close friends i was no longer depressed and i smoked even more weed and partied hard and had a awesome time. So i don't think it causes depression it just ampilfies your current mood state.

It turns into crack type high want another taste and high after a hour when I stopped for five days had half a spliff was tripoin out in my living room was worth it just got no will power

Weed can be funny. 85% of the time its chill but sometimes like if your already having anxiety, it can make that anxiety way worse cuz itl make you think and think and freak yoself out like a fool. At least for me. Or, youl take too big a hit and swallow some smoke and have trouble burping it up, which will kinda make ya panic. Iv had that happen alot. Idk if its normal. For me it kinda depends on my current mood. Ud think itd help me with anxiety but nah. So I always try to smoke if im in an already peaceful mood. I wouldnt smoke if your having anxiety already. But if your in a chill mood, fire er up. Everyone's different but I wouldnt rip the bong if you already have anxiety or depression. Take light hits

The science says weed more than capable of triggering a range of psychiatric disorders and the research is really just getting started.

The scary thing is that in young people whose brains are still developing it actually changes brain structure in ways that likely increase chance of psychiatric disorders.

Mostly the research links to psychosis rather than depression though. This article has a good summary of state of knowledge: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811144/

The science says weed more than capable of triggering a range of psychiatric disorders and the research is really just getting started.

The scary thing is that in young people whose brains are still developing it actually changes brain structure in ways that likely increase chance of psychiatric disorders.

Mostly the research links to psychosis rather than depression though. This article has a good summary of state of knowledge: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811144/

I'm 41, and recently used a 50:50 CBD:THC full spectrum tincture oil. I notice that I would feel better for an hour, but then would get intrusive thoughts (worse occurrence than usual - I still get these dark thoughts but they are not as frequent as when I use the tincture). It works wonders for any neuropathic pain that I experience (which I do, especially sometimes in my left leg/foot from an old joint injury). But psychologically it isn't as beneficial as I thought. It's still slightly euphoric, and does eliminate dreams when I sleep, but the mild psychosis (in the form of sudden anger outbursts) isn't worth it to me.

I have suffered from depression since being a kid, smoked weed sicne 18 and 38 now. 20 years of it, it does help but I wonder if I have caused more problems in the long run. Also on SNRI, as soon as i have a smoke my outlook on life suddenly changes.