• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can weed trigger depression

FTR I'm also on 225mg Effexor, 1.5 - 2 mg Clonazepam daily and valium when I can source it, along with the Seroquel as already mentioned.

i”m on 15 mg Mirtazipne once a day (didn’t tolerate seroquel, Prozac, citralopram, Effexor or venlafaxine), and 3 mg Prazosin once a day, Cloneazapam 0.25 mg as needed.

‘The worst thing is the sedation that’s all of these drugs (includingMJ) cause.
Tom

Last edited:
But millions do use anti-psychotics, and most of them seem to function reasonably well. Seroquel isn't much different to Remeron, and I use 60mg of that every night, and yes it's great for sleep but I can still function, ride 20km, do other stuff.

Do they?

I've worked in mental health on/off for 25 years and in my experience and observation I'd say that Seroquel is truly helpful to around 20% of people, mildly effective without too many terrible side effects (that we know of yet, anyway) for another 40% or so and pretty much life-ruining for the other 40% of the poor fuckers

Do they?

I've worked in mental health on/off for 25 years and in my experience and observation I'd say that Seroquel is truly helpful to around 20% of people, mildly effective without too many terrible side effects (that we know of yet, anyway) for another 40% or so and pretty much life-ruining for the other 40% of the poor fuckers

seroquel a) immediately made me start sleeping a LOT more, unacceptably so, and b) after 2 weeks use I was hospitalized with cyclical/non stop vomiting. I told my psychiatrist I had stopped and she supported that.

Tom

I started seeing a new doctor last year and she has 30 years experience as a psychiatrist. I was at the absolute end of my rope and my current meds were not working at all. I was switched over from Zoloft, Mirtazpine and Valium to Effexor, Seroquel and Clonazepam.
Since I started all of these around the same time, I can't put my finger on which medication is working; but as a combo I feel so much better. I started the Seroquel last but all within a couple of weeks of everything else.
My only side effect besides drowsiness has been weight gain. I've toyed with the idea of coming off of the Seroquel but since it appears to be helping I'm really hesitant.
I lost 6kg in 2 weeks while weaning off Mirtazpine in order to start Seroquel, without any change in diet/ lifestyle.
Since Seroquel the weight has continuously crept on. I'm usually small so this sudden gain is depressing in itself! I'm talking 10 plus kg and it keeps going up 😔

Can anyone lose weight on Seroquel???

As an aside, I have really struggled with body issues since I was very young. I had maintained what I considered to be a perfect weight for me (50kg) and sat at that for a good 3 years. I'm emotionally disturbed by this latest weight gain and even asked my doctor for Duromine. She was blunt and told me (due to mental health issues) if I were to use Duromine I'd end up on the psych ward! 😕
So do I stay fat and hate myself but feel an ease in my anxiety/ depression or quit the Seroquel and go back to the body I want. Fuck. Sounds so trivial and shallow, but as I said, I have serious issues with being overweight and it is bringing me down. Some days I literally won't leave the house because I feel so yucky in the skin I'm in 😕

This might sounds somewhat hollow and you're probably already aware of this in a sense but body weight is generally a poor indicator of overall health, and too much fixation on body weight as a primary goal generally will not lead to the most optimal health decisions, being more likely to result in yoyo dieting, focus on immediate results over more sustainable ones and, therefore, can have a counterproductive effect. Far better to use some other metric, ie, caloric intake compared to caloric expenditure (ie, exercise and activity level) as well as making sure you're getting all the right nutrients, etc.

Easier said than done, perhaps, and I know fixation on body weight is very common, especially for women. But just something to consider. Of course, weight gain is a known side effect of many psychiatric medicines, and knowing this won't just switch off the behavioural drives that lead to weight gain. Additionally, I understand that for someone who struggles with body image issues, body weight is a very tangible metric that is very easy to become emotionally attached to, compared to more intangible ones that are harder to emotionally resonate with... so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I guess the idea I'm trying to express is that your weight is likely not nearly as much of an issue as you think it is, but of course I'm sure you know that already.

Other than that I don't have too much to add, except to say that...

Maybe I just need a new brain.
We've all thought that at some point I think. Try not to beat yourself up about it.

Good luck to you finding some resolution to your struggles anyway.

This might sounds somewhat hollow and you're probably already aware of this in a sense but body weight is generally a poor indicator of overall health, and too much fixation on body weight as a primary goal generally will not lead to the most optimal health decisions, being more likely to result in yoyo dieting, focus on immediate results over more sustainable ones and, therefore, can have a counterproductive effect. Far better to use some other metric, ie, caloric intake compared to caloric expenditure (ie, exercise and activity level) as well as making sure you're getting all the right nutrients, etc.

Easier said than done, perhaps, and I know fixation on body weight is very common, especially for women. But just something to consider. Of course, weight gain is a known side effect of many psychiatric medicines, and knowing this won't just switch off the behavioural drives that lead to weight gain. Additionally, I understand that for someone who struggles with body image issues, body weight is a very tangible metric that is very easy to become emotionally attached to, compared to more intangible ones that are harder to emotionally resonate with... so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I guess the idea I'm trying to express is that your weight is likely not nearly as much of an issue as you think it is, but of course I'm sure you know that already.

Other than that I don't have too much to add, except to say that...

We've all thought that at some point I think. Try not to beat yourself up about it.

Good luck to you finding some resolution to your struggles anyway.

Thank you.
Rationally I'm acutely aware of my obsession with my body and weight. I used to fast (eat virtually nothing) 3 or 4 days out of the week and basked in my self control. I know this is entirely unhealthy but it became almost like a challenge between me and myself!
Although, my body image issues developed at a very young age, I was seeing a child psychologist by the age of 8 because I refused to eat. Without going into detail many factors of my home life attributed to this.
I hate that I am CONSTANTLY thinking about my body. Even at my lowest weight I was unhappy, I was too skinny and although I liked how I looked in clothes, my body was fucked because of the extreme weight loss.
Arrgh. I'm too highly fucken highly strung 😕

Yes it can at first you have it when you run out and can't get any then as your use increases and you go from weekend use to everyday you lose the magic instead of a 3 your buzz you get a fap 20 min buzz if your lucky this is what makes you depressed
You confuse depression with being mildly irritated, don't. Depression is real and is not caused by running out of anything. Also using every day doesn't 'lose the magic' as you claim, in fact I suspect you don't know what you're talking about and are a reader/contributor to askfrank, a disinformation site run by the UK government and packed with utter nonsense.
However, massive overuse can lead to depression, this is already well known and written about. I have only known one person who suffered from cannabis induced depression, using huge amounts, a virtual chain smoker, who became increasingly depressed over time and incresed consumption accordingly. Slippery slope. But most regular users don't run any risk, if only because to use so much you have to be able to afford it.

Anything that goes up must come down, marijuana may give you amazing feelings in the beginning. But in a majority those feelings will slowly transfer to something more ominous. Depression, anxiety, lack of motivation
Another sowing disinformation. 'In a majority' - on what basis do you make that claim? The reality is the opposite, cannabis users are usually happy, ballanced, generous and sociable. Hasvng used for more years than you've had hot dinners, I can guarantee that the majority of users will remain stable, blanced, happy and productive people. After all, if what you claim [in ignorance] were true, the whole human race would be depressed and suicidal simpler from the cannabinoids our bodies produce [oh, is that news for you? Google 'endocannabinoid system']. Cannabinoids are involved in every bodily function from thinking to eating and to stopping eating. You must be an anti-dope troll.

I have depression and anxiety, for which I am treated for. I guess you could say I'm managing it and feel a far cry better than I did 6 months ago.

Amongst other things, I take 200mg Seroquel in the evenings and 25mg in the mornings.

Since I already have forever lingering anxiety and depression but am treating it with meds, can smoking weed every night effect it? Make it worse? I feel like my antidepressants and benzos are kinda a cover for these concerns.
I ENJOY a joint at night. It's a little habit I only picked up recently but I've never felt more positive and happy! I really want to give Seroquel the flick and use weed instead.
As you have discovered,you've never felt more positive and happy, cannabis is a very useful anti-depressent so unless you start to overuse in a big way, it won't cause any worsening long term. Unlike the pharmaceuticals which all have their side effects.

Legit yes for me definitely I have generalised anxiety disorder and can't smoke weed anymore, it makes me a million times worse, I overthink everything, I get paranoid and jittery and depressed

I've known people who have anxiety and don't know why and they smoke weed alot, it's definitely the weed, but then I've known people with borderline personality disorder and bipolar and it helps them

Everyone is different
Perhaps their anxiety is connected to the legal position? Knowing you can get arrested for a herb can make some anxious and paranoid. I would say the 'war on drugs' causes way more paranoia than cannabis ever could.

Weed doesn't just trigger or help everyones anxiety, it's all up to how your body works.

Some people get anxiety/depression from weed, some people it helps their depression/anxiety, some people they're just cooked.
You have to experiment yourself.

...also some strains could help anxiety and others could exacerbate it

and just because one strain helps with anxiety and/or depression one week, it doesn't mean it will do so again next time you try

it's all hit and miss with cannabis imo

having said that I find concentrates made from certain strains to be repeatedly helpful for a pain issue I have

Another sowing disinformation. 'In a majority' - on what basis do you make that claim? The reality is the opposite, cannabis users are usually happy, ballanced, generous and sociable. Hasvng used for more years than you've had hot dinners, I can guarantee that the majority of users will remain stable, blanced, happy and productive people. After all, if what you claim [in ignorance] were true, the whole human race would be depressed and suicidal simpler from the cannabinoids our bodies produce [oh, is that news for you? Google 'endocannabinoid system']. Cannabinoids are involved in every bodily function from thinking to eating and to stopping eating. You must be an anti-dope troll.
Sowing disinformation? This is a harm reduction site. I don’t give a flying fuck what you think you may know cause your old as fuck but your not a doctor, you have no right to tell someone that just because your fine everyone will be fine. You have no idea what pre existing conditions someone may have and your spouting your loud fucking keyboard fingers against me is the wrong fucking thing to do. But I see your goal is a one size fits all type shit. Remind me what’s the highest education you have?

Sowing disinformation? This is a harm reduction site. I don’t give a flying fuck what you think you may know cause your old as fuck but your not a doctor, you have no right to tell someone that just because your fine everyone will be fine. You have no idea what pre existing conditions someone may have and your spouting your loud fucking keyboard fingers against me is the wrong fucking thing to do. But I see your goal is a one size fits all type shit. Remind me what’s the highest education you have?

You've got valid points mate and it's always good to see both sides of the coin.

You did however, and with great authority state the following, which is massively incorrect.

"But in a majority those (GOOD) feelings will slowly transfer to something more ominous. Depression, anxiety, lack of motivation"

replace "majority" with "small minority" and you're getting somewhere

You've got valid points mate and it's always good to see both sides of the coin.

You did however, and with great authority state the following, which is massively incorrect.

"But in a majority those (GOOD) feelings will slowly transfer to something more ominous. Depression, anxiety, lack of motivation"

replace "majority" with "small minority" and you're getting somewhere
No, I apologize for my poor choice of words in the first reply. I had a rough morning, but if you look OP is already treated for depression and anxiety. In a person without underlying conditions to which, are so persistent they require medications.. I would say you may have a point.. which I’ll agree a majority of people that don’t suffer from bipolar, personality disorders and/or Other psychiatric illnesses the likelihood is very unlikely. But don’t forgot in most people also, after a month of consistent use a person will withdraw. Albeit small anxiety will increase so will insomnia. So marijuana isn’t without its downfalls is all I’m saying, also many studies were produced in the years before the great decriminalization of marijuan. We are talking what 4-12% tops with cbd also in small but larger then today’s amounts. Now a days you have 90-99 percent distillates. Who knows what effect this will have on the mind later on. I smoke weed myself and take oxy and kratom and with my past drug usage I’m the furthest thing from an anti drug person. But I think it’s dangerous to put out this information, on a harm reduction site in an online forum that many are browsing and land on after a simple google search. Some of that could be children or teens who’s brains aren’t fully developed. Which has been proven to cause anxiety and depression later on as adults. You love your weed I get it lol, but we have a responsibility not to sway someone who may be seeking to self medicate in a way which could bite them in the ass later on

nah nah nahhhhhh

tsts

nnhmm, y'all think too much, that's right, that's the main issue. I don't deny if someone has pre-existent issue, weed or other freedom utilities may or may not worsen the uhm yeah, but that's on you. I mean if something bad happens, you did it with your hand, right.