• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can weed trigger depression

Quickfixgrrl

Bluelighter
I have depression and anxiety, for which I am treated for. I guess you could say I'm managing it and feel a far cry better than I did 6 months ago.

Amongst other things, I take 200mg Seroquel in the evenings and 25mg in the mornings.

Since I already have forever lingering anxiety and depression but am treating it with meds, can smoking weed every night effect it? Make it worse? I feel like my antidepressants and benzos are kinda a cover for these concerns.
I ENJOY a joint at night. It's a little habit I only picked up recently but I've never felt more positive and happy! I really want to give Seroquel the flick and use weed instead.

Yes it can at first you have it when you run out and can't get any then as your use increases and you go from weekend use to everyday you lose the magic instead of a 3 your buzz you get a fap 20 min buzz if your lucky this is what makes you depressed

It really depends on your chemistry.

If you enjoy it what's the issue?

Like most anything, you can build a dependence to weed. If i were you I'd smoke even less than a joint. Perhaps several hits. Anything else on low tolerance is overkill and more likely to fuck up your current regimen.

I have depression and anxiety, for which I am treated for. I guess you could say I'm managing it and feel a far cry better than I did 6 months ago.

Amongst other things, I take 200mg Seroquel in the evenings and 25mg in the mornings.

Since I already have forever lingering anxiety and depression but am treating it with meds, can smoking weed every night effect it? Make it worse? I feel like my antidepressants and benzos are kinda a cover for these concerns.
I ENJOY a joint at night. It's a little habit I only picked up recently but I've never felt more positive and happy! I really want to give Seroquel the flick and use weed instead.

this can be positive or negative. Marijuana increases propensity to anxiety in the long term, this needs to be said, as well as propensity to a paranoid state of mind.

On the other hand, it gives you a feeling of happiness that neither benzos nor seroquel are capable of.

200 mg of seroquel is a high dose, this medicament is excellent but it also has collateral effects... I would say the smoke a joint is safer than taking high doses of benzos/quetiapine, but I am not a doctor.

Marijuana increases propensity to anxiety in the long term, this needs to be said, as well as propensity to a paranoid state of mind.

this will depend, of course, on the frequency, type of strain that you're smoking, etc.. one joint during the night, I mean, this is far away from heavy usage.. to compare, I smoke ~5 fat joints throughout the day

I have noticed many persons using antidepressants, benzos, etc, during years, damaging their brains and depression never goes away. These kinds of people need to smoke weed.. because these drugs they kill the feelings, it is anesthesia, but when a drug that gives "a high" is introduced, this changes the whole perspective.. same logic is valid in the use of psychedelics and MDMA in some psychological treatments

Weed might be good for your ills, it might be bad for them - nobody apart from you can tell as it's different for everyone.

Cannabis is definitely a much lighter drug than Seroquel though for sure

For what it's worth, I currently take mirtazapine and carbamazepine.

When I tried a 50/50 CBD:THC mix, I still got a tiny bit of anxiety from it, but the big thing I got from it was a propensity to get seriously angry. I don't know why but it made me super angry, almost like a rage if you will. And the funny thing is it wasn't much. No more than say 10mg of THC at a time, twice a day at most.

Now, that is anxiety-causing. I fear that I'll beat someone to a pulp if they bully me or intimidate me or even gaslight me over something really important. I've been known to be pretty aggressive towards certain types of people but thankfully I never cross those people or at least haven't done so for many years.

Cannabis is definitely a much lighter drug than Seroquel though for sure

I wouldn't say it's necessarily lighter. It's different for sure.

I'm not sure if I'm still feeling my "regular" depression and anxiety during the day after having smoked the night before, or if that has triggered it.
I mean, either way it's always lingering in the background, so what's the difference?
I just don't want to fuck up my mind further but like I said, I've only picked up using weed recently (used to in my teens a bit, before kids) but now at 37 I'm enjoying a quiet joint to myself when the kids are in bed and for a good 3 hours I'm happily giddy. I stay in my room listening to soft music and laugh myself silly at everything! I'm seriously reacting to it like I used to way back when. I haven't laughed so much in God knows how long. I laugh at myself for laughing at nothing. I'll be on the phone to a friend and everything they say is fucking hilarious, to the point where I can't even speak 🤣
I feel a bit down as it wears off and I finally go to sleep.

FTR I'm also on 225mg Effexor, 1.5 - 2 mg Clonazepam daily and valium when I can source it, along with the Seroquel as already mentioned.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily lighter. It's different for sure.

Am aware that cannabis isn't the same for all but it's most definitely a lighter drug than Seroquel, lol - much lighter

Just imagine for a moment if the milions who use cannabis daily for mood issues suddenly switched to medium-dose Seroquel. Millions would be become far less 'present', far less productive, far more chemically lobotomised, the economy would suffer, etc etc etc.

Since I already have forever lingering anxiety and depression but am treating it with meds, can smoking weed every night effect it?

Legit yes for me definitely I have generalised anxiety disorder and can't smoke weed anymore, it makes me a million times worse, I overthink everything, I get paranoid and jittery and depressed

I've known people who have anxiety and don't know why and they smoke weed alot, it's definitely the weed, but then I've known people with borderline personality disorder and bipolar and it helps them

Everyone is different

Just imagine for a moment if the milions who use cannabis daily for mood issues suddenly switched to medium-dose Seroquel. Millions would be become far less 'present', far less productive, far more chemically lobotomised, the economy would suffer, etc etc etc.

But millions do use anti-psychotics, and most of them seem to function reasonably well. Seroquel isn't much different to Remeron, and I use 60mg of that every night, and yes it's great for sleep but I can still function, ride 20km, do other stuff.

But millions do use anti-psychotics, and most of them seem to function reasonably well. Seroquel isn't much different to Remeron, and I use 60mg of that every night, and yes it's great for sleep but I can still function, ride 20km, do other stuff.

This is true. I take 25mg in the mornings and it has no effect at all on me (as in side effects). I function normally during the day. I take the 200mg dose at bed time and it puts me to sleep within an hour max. I couldn't take that during the day, unless I built up tolerance.

Yes it can at first you have it when you run out and can't get any then as your use increases and you go from weekend use to everyday you lose the magic instead of a 3 your buzz you get a fap 20 min buzz if your lucky this is what makes you depressed

I’ve been smoking since July, 1973. I’m still waiting for the magic to go away. For some people it won’t.

Comorbid anxiety, depression, etc. I”m on antidepressants (3 years) and an antI ptsd drug (same amount of time). Occasionally, depending on how much I smoke I get elevated anxiety, but I don’t feel that MJ has affected my depression. My psychiatrist, nurse, dietitian and nephrologist are aware of my pot use. It’s only the psychiatrist that is trying to get me to cut down.

The only real concern with MJ that I’ve got is that the consumption of edibles susbstnatially lowers my blood pressure. being as I’m on a few bp meds, I just go realllll slow when I’m munching on some pot goodies.

Tom