• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Caffeine, Safe but counter-productive stimulant?

Nicotine, that's the one thing I can't seem to permenently quit.

I've overcame meth, coke, heroin, most of the drugs the average person has heard of.
Same here.
I've finally quit cigarettes after a 50-year heavy smoking habit but I'm still very much addicted to nicotine-- gum + vaping. I'm going to try to phase out the vaping but I don't yet want to even think about quitting the gum.
I might never.
Interesting. do you obsess over nicotine? I know it’s addictive, but unless you’re in a constant struggle to quit it, it’s rather unusual to be dreaming about it.
Then again, everyone is different. for some, dependence on a substance may hold them back and even if the substance is not particularly intoxicating, some personally don’t like the idea of being addicted to anything.
I'm like you in that it doesn't bother me to be dependent on a substance as long as it's not adversely affecting my finances, health, relationships, work, or my emotional well-being.

Y'all might want to check out my thread Quitting Cigarettes.

It’s been 18 days without caffeine since starting Ramadan and I have about 12 days left. strangely, whilst my general energy levels have come back after withdrawal, I still feel incredibly tired much of the time especially in the morning. because I don’t have access to the replacement supplements or drugs I wish to use, I will go back to daily caffeine use as soon as Ramadan ends.
To be honest, I do miss the strong buzz it can provide along with the sudden disappearance of sleepiness.

does anyone else find that without caffeine they drift towards becoming a night person?
I’ve noticed that whenever I’m off caffeine and the withdrawals have passed, I paradoxically find myself wanting to stay up longer at night and seem to have more energy then. At first, I thought this was simply because I was sleeping in late without caffeine, but even being forced to get out of bed early didn’t correct this. of course, early rising would correct my sleep schedule to allow me to sleep at night, but I would drift back to late bedtime without caffeine at any opportunity.
I’ll be interested to know if anyone else is like this, either with caffeine or any other drug.

Sounds pretty normal ADHD behavior. I'm the same.

Here a rough thought experiment for you:

Let's say our daily requirement is to output 100 "energy blocks" in order to feel satisfied, fulfilled and tired.

If I take some kind of stimulant, it helps release those "energy blocks" nice and steadily throughout the day, more like how a non-ADHD person functions, and I'm pretty productive and resonably motivated throughout the day and reach my goal of outputting 100 energy blocks by the evening. I thus find myself naturally tired, and am able to sleep in the evening at a reasonable hour as a result.

However, if I go without the stimulant, because (with ADHD) I produce so few energy blocks throughout the day compared to a more neurotypical person, I can reach midnight and still be 40 "blocks" short of my requirement of 100. Which means I'm not tired at all. I'm still seeking out more sources of motivation/dopamine to help me output more energy and hit 100 and become tired.

In that situation, most of us with ADHD seem to peak in output around 12am-3am ish - peak hours for us. Hence they say we have delayed sleep phase syndrome. But give us a stimulant, and it goes away and we tend to sleep more normal hours, probably because we all can only output so much energy ("100") on any given day, long term.

Does that make any sense or does it just read like waffle to you? lol

just out of interest, anyone have opinions on caffeine and spirituality. I can imagine it doesn’t go that well with psychedelics for most people, but maybe I’m wrong. i’m not really a spiritual person and have never done anything like meditation but as I mentioned previously, caffeine can alter my sense of connectedness with nature and creating a more positive experience.

Sounds pretty normal ADHD behavior. I'm the same.

Here a rough thought experiment for you:

Let's say our daily requirement is to output 100 "energy blocks" in order to feel satisfied, fulfilled and tired.

If I take some kind of stimulant, it helps release those "energy blocks" nice and steadily throughout the day, more like how a non-ADHD person functions, and I'm pretty productive and resonably motivated throughout the day and reach my goal of outputting 100 energy blocks by the evening. I thus find myself naturally tired, and am able to sleep in the evening at a reasonable hour as a result.

However, if I go without the stimulant, because (with ADHD) I produce so few energy blocks throughout the day compared to a more neurotypical person, I can reach midnight and still be 40 "blocks" short of my requirement of 100. Which means I'm not tired at all. I'm still seeking out more sources of motivation/dopamine to help me output more energy and hit 100 and become tired.

In that situation, most of us with ADHD seem to peak in output around 12am-3am ish - peak hours for us. Hence they say we have delayed sleep phase syndrome. But give us a stimulant, and it goes away and we tend to sleep more normal hours, probably because we all can only output so much energy ("100") on any given day, long term.

Does that make any sense or does it just read like waffle to you? lol

What you said makes perfect sense. I know I should, get medically diagnosed, but do you know if part of ADHD is being unable to generate your own intrinsic motivation. for example, when I was a sixth form College student, teachers would clearly define our tasks and strictly/constantly monitor our progress, often pressuring us to complete them well before the deadline. after awhile of this, I temporarily became really efficient at completing my tasks. I would even get all my homework done on Friday so I could have the weekend free. however, it should be noted that the teachers also gave us all the resources we needed so that was one less thing to think about.
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but starting employment last year was a completely different story. It’s remote working and I have little guidance from colleagues, now even sending a simple email feels like a massive chore.
One thing I’ve noticed aside from lifelong procrastination is a very deep hatred of thinking. this might sound strange, but basically the worst tasks for me are those I actually have to think deeply about. it is those tasks that scare me and push me to procrastinate, even on the small simple tasks. i’ve just realised I probably do that so that when I have to actually do the big thought requiring task, I can justify putting it off for a bit longer by saying I have to finish the smaller ones.

as the most popular psychoactive drug in the world, it’s easy to forget that caffeine is a potent drug. of course, it is much safer and less addictive than many other psychoactive drugs, but many say it’s also the least useful for productivity and focus.
Those who benefited from quitting it claim to have discovered that caffeine was actually counter-productive because it increased anxiety and created an agitated energy which could put them off achieving their goals and just generally increasing stress levels.
I wonder if any of you have quit caffeine and if so, what were the benefits?
I would be especially interested to know if quitting caffeine affected your experience with other drugs. i’m thinking of quitting caffeine myself at some point, just need to wait until conditions are right and I have enough time to cope with withdrawals.

I always take Gabapentin when I'm drinking coffee because it mitigates the anxiogenic affects. Otherwise, I just feel this restless anxiety.

I guess that’s okay for occasional use. Not sure it will be that safe or sustainable if you’re a daily coffee drinker.

I am a daily coffee drinker, but should have mentioned that I have a legit prescription for the Gabapentin so take it every day anyway, I just make sure to have an extra pill or two if I'm having more than 1 or 2 coffees.

i’m now on the 23rd day of Ramadan and it’s also been 23 days without any caffeine. unfortunately, my situation hasn’t improved in terms of productivity, actually, I’m constantly tired and become very exhausted after doing a mental task. I do think the actual Ramadan fasting, (not eating or drinking from sunrise to Sunset). could be the main culprit. my sleep pattern is all over the place with no regularity whatsoever as well.
Unfortunately, the one thing I expected to improve dramatically wen off caffeine is my anxiety but I don’t think it has. at least, it hasn’t gone away as much as I thought it would. however, it could be that the Ramadan fasting and the associated stress along with having less than usual time alone and fear, of tiredness/hunger affecting my work performance have all contributed to worsen my anxiety.
Perhaps I need to go much longer without caffeine e.g. several months to experience the full benefits according to some people.
Nevertheless, I’m so eager for my first hit of caffeine when Ramadan ends.
I’ve done a lot of self reflections since starting this thread. I now realise I’m one of those individuals who always have to have a substance in their body to function or at least to feel like I’m functioning better.
Additionally, although my opinions on caffeine have turned more positive since the beginning of this thread, it’s potential to cause me many problems, including worsening, procrastination and anxiety are still very real.
because of my family and work circumstances which require me to wake up very early most days, I probably won’t give up caffeine any time this year or in the near future. in contrast, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best time to quit caffeine would be once I find a perfect replacement drug like selegyline and my work circumstances have changed. I honestly thought quitting caffeine will be best when I’m already in a bad place due to anxiety and associated depressed mood, but perhaps due to protracted withdrawal given my past heavy use, I feel slightly more susceptible to depression. it is very minor, it’s just that at least for now, without caffeine, I seem to get slightly less excited about positive events. i’m pretty confident this will pass, because I experienced something identical when I stopped caffeine at college.

i’m now on the 23rd day of Ramadan and it’s also been 23 days without any caffeine. unfortunately, my situation hasn’t improved in terms of productivity, actually, I’m constantly tired and become very exhausted after doing a mental task. I do think the actual Ramadan fasting, (not eating or drinking from sunrise to Sunset). could be the main culprit. my sleep pattern is all over the place with no regularity whatsoever as well.
Unfortunately, the one thing I expected to improve dramatically wen off caffeine is my anxiety but I don’t think it has. at least, it hasn’t gone away as much as I thought it would. however, it could be that the Ramadan fasting and the associated stress along with having less than usual time alone and fear, of tiredness/hunger affecting my work performance have all contributed to worsen my anxiety.
Perhaps I need to go much longer without caffeine e.g. several months to experience the full benefits according to some people.
I’ve done a lot of self reflections since starting this thread. I now realise I’m one of those individuals who always have to have a substance in their body to function or at least to feel like I’m functioning better.
Additionally, although my opinions on caffeine have turned more positive since the beginning of this thread, it’s potential to cause me many problems, including worsening, procrastination and anxiety are still very real.
because of my family and work circumstances which require me to wake up very early most days, I probably won’t give up caffeine any time this year or in the near future. in contrast, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best time to quit caffeine would be once I find a perfect replacement drug like selegyline and my work circumstances have changed. I honestly thought quitting caffeine will be best when I’m already in a bad place due to anxiety and associated depressed mood, but perhaps due to protracted withdrawal given my past heavy use, I feel slightly more susceptible to depression. it is very minor, it’s just that at least for now, without caffeine, I seem to get slightly less excited about positive events. i’m pretty confident this will pass, because I experienced something identical when I stopped caffeine at college.
Your reflections during Ramadan and the journey of abstaining from caffeine provide valuable insights into how substances, habits, and lifestyle changes can significantly affect our mental and physical well-being. It's commendable that you're using this period for self-reflection and considering the broader implications of your reliance on substances like caffeine to modulate your mood and productivity.

The challenges you're facing—disrupted sleep patterns, constant tiredness, and persistent anxiety—could indeed be attributed to a combination of factors related to Ramadan fasting, the sudden cessation of caffeine, and the stress of adapting to a significantly altered daily routine. Fasting from sunrise to sunset, especially, can have a profound impact on your energy levels and cognitive functioning, as your body adjusts to a new eating and hydration schedule.

Considering the Impact of Fasting on Well-being:​

• Energy Levels: The reduction in food and water intake during daylight hours of Ramadan can lead to decreased energy levels, making it harder to maintain productivity and focus on mental tasks.
  • Sleep Patterns: Changes in your eating and sleeping schedule during Ramadan can disrupt your circadian rhythm, leading to irregular sleep patterns and potentially affecting your overall mood and energy levels.
  • Anxiety and Stress: While you anticipated a decrease in anxiety with the cessation of caffeine, the cumulative stress of fasting, altered sleep, and concerns about work performance can indeed maintain or even heighten anxiety levels.

Moving Forward:​

1. Post-Ramadan Adjustment: It may take some time after Ramadan to readjust to your regular routine and to assess the true impact of being off caffeine on your anxiety and productivity.
  2. Long-term Caffeine Abstinence: As you mentioned, the full benefits of quitting caffeine might only become apparent over a longer period. This timeline can vary widely among individuals, especially considering past usage patterns.
  3. Seeking Alternatives: Your interest in finding a replacement for caffeine, like selegiline, indicates a proactive approach to managing your well-being. However, any such decision should be carefully discussed with a healthcare provider to consider the implications and ensure it aligns with your health needs and lifestyle.
  4. Addressing Underlying Issues: Reflecting on your reliance on substances for functioning suggests an awareness of deeper patterns that may benefit from professional guidance. Therapy or counseling can offer strategies to manage anxiety, improve mood, and address procrastination, independent of substance use.
  5. Gradual Changes: When reintroducing caffeine or making any significant lifestyle or dietary change, consider a gradual approach to monitor its effects on your mood, anxiety, and productivity. This can help you make more informed decisions about its role in your life.
Your experiences and reflections are powerful reminders of the complexity of our relationships with substances and the importance of mindfulness and self-care in navigating these challenges. Ramadan offers a unique opportunity for spiritual and personal growth, and your journey through it has illuminated various aspects of your health and habits worth exploring further.

Your reflections during Ramadan and the journey of abstaining from caffeine provide valuable insights into how substances, habits, and lifestyle changes can significantly affect our mental and physical well-being. It's commendable that you're using this period for self-reflection and considering the broader implications of your reliance on substances like caffeine to modulate your mood and productivity.

The challenges you're facing—disrupted sleep patterns, constant tiredness, and persistent anxiety—could indeed be attributed to a combination of factors related to Ramadan fasting, the sudden cessation of caffeine, and the stress of adapting to a significantly altered daily routine. Fasting from sunrise to sunset, especially, can have a profound impact on your energy levels and cognitive functioning, as your body adjusts to a new eating and hydration schedule.

Considering the Impact of Fasting on Well-being:​

• Energy Levels: The reduction in food and water intake during daylight hours of Ramadan can lead to decreased energy levels, making it harder to maintain productivity and focus on mental tasks.
  • Sleep Patterns: Changes in your eating and sleeping schedule during Ramadan can disrupt your circadian rhythm, leading to irregular sleep patterns and potentially affecting your overall mood and energy levels.
  • Anxiety and Stress: While you anticipated a decrease in anxiety with the cessation of caffeine, the cumulative stress of fasting, altered sleep, and concerns about work performance can indeed maintain or even heighten anxiety levels.

Moving Forward:​

1. Post-Ramadan Adjustment: It may take some time after Ramadan to readjust to your regular routine and to assess the true impact of being off caffeine on your anxiety and productivity.
  2. Long-term Caffeine Abstinence: As you mentioned, the full benefits of quitting caffeine might only become apparent over a longer period. This timeline can vary widely among individuals, especially considering past usage patterns.
  3. Seeking Alternatives: Your interest in finding a replacement for caffeine, like selegiline, indicates a proactive approach to managing your well-being. However, any such decision should be carefully discussed with a healthcare provider to consider the implications and ensure it aligns with your health needs and lifestyle.
  4. Addressing Underlying Issues: Reflecting on your reliance on substances for functioning suggests an awareness of deeper patterns that may benefit from professional guidance. Therapy or counseling can offer strategies to manage anxiety, improve mood, and address procrastination, independent of substance use.
  5. Gradual Changes: When reintroducing caffeine or making any significant lifestyle or dietary change, consider a gradual approach to monitor its effects on your mood, anxiety, and productivity. This can help you make more informed decisions about its role in your life.
Your experiences and reflections are powerful reminders of the complexity of our relationships with substances and the importance of mindfulness and self-care in navigating these challenges. Ramadan offers a unique opportunity for spiritual and personal growth, and your journey through it has illuminated various aspects of your health and habits worth exploring further.

Thank you so much for your wonderful information and feedback. i’m really glad you found it interesting.
I think your assessment, which matches with my own regarding external life factors combined with Ramadan fasting impacting my mood and anxiety is absolutely correct. not sure if you’ve seen my posting history, but basically i’ve spoken at length about my lifelong extreme tendency to procrastinate on anything unless someone is constantly watching over me and telling me what to do. this was made worse by the fact that I often did, and still do use my blindness as an excuse for not getting work tasks done, when deep down, I know I didn’t even try. The recurring cycle of complacency, procrastination, deadline stress, false promises to myself too change once I managed to pull through followed by starting the cycle all over again has been constant through my educational and work life. It’s deeply traumatised me to the point that words like productivity and self-development send shivers down my spine and often trigger dysphoria. okay, so that’s one major source of chronic stress in my life.
The second lifelong chronic stressor for me comes from family issues. basically, one of my siblings has some sort of undiagnosed mild autism and anger management issues and whenever he’s around, there’s always a very high potential of argument/fights that can easily escalate and go out of hand. being around him is like treading on eggshells and since I inherently hate all forms of sibling conflicts, I worry much more than the rest of my family about trying to prevent conflict in the first place. because of this, even when things are going great, it’s very difficult for me to let my guard down and relax.
Why do I mention all this
Well, we all know that caffeine can trigger or worsen anxiety, Especially at high doses. what I’ve noticed, and I said this at the beginning of my thread is that at least for me, caffeine only seems to induce or worsen anxiety if I’m facing the above mentioned life stresses. interestingly, if my argumentative sibling was working his night shift so I know he would sleep all day and at the same time, I didn’t have any work that day, I would suddenly become one of the most content and happy people and my chronic dysphoria changes sometimes into extreme euphoria and other time, just a beautiful sense of peace and Tranquility. now, if I take caffeine on such a day, especially at a high dose, I have an absolutely amazing experience. It provides me with boundless optimism and lots of energy to run about the room like a madman whilst reading scientific articles, of course, I don’t do that in front of people only when I’m alone. during the 2020 Covid lockdown when I was not yet employed and even after getting a job when I was put on six months paid disability leave I was using caffeine very heavily on a daily basis with only positive effects. I never once experienced any anxiety from caffeine and I never developed tolerance to its extreme positive effects either. it was only when I was hit with the stress of my first ever job being a remote working one and triggering the dreaded procrastination cycle that led me eventually to temporary anhedonia that caffeine really became a problem.
Sorry for rambling so much, but my overall point is that whilst I still do intend to quit caffeine at some point in my life, i’ve now realised that caffeine itself might not have been the problem and instead it is stressful external life factors that are modifying my response to caffeine.

Don’t know if anyone else agrees, but personally I find that taking my entire daily dose of caffeine all at once in the early morning is much better than taking it spread out throughout the day. this helps me avoid insomnia, plus I don’t really find low doses of caffeine(100 mg or less) effective at all.
Another thing I would say about caffeine, is that compared to nicotine, caffeine is truly a morning drug for me. The way it blasts away tiredness is amazing. i’ve occasionally consumed caffeine later in the day, usually in the form of sugar-free monster energy drinks. these were unplanned occasions such as being offered a few cans and knowing that if I didn’t drink it someone else would. I must say, later in the day, the stimulation is often much stronger with strong euphoric components. problem is, it’s just not worth the sleep disturbance is the following night especially if I have studying or work the next day.

ramadan has now ended, so hopefully I’ll be taking my first hit of caffeine in the morning. i’m hoping to brew a pot a very strong black coffee and consume it after about an hour of waking up.
I know I’ll get dependent very quickly, but I’ve never really developed a tolerance to the wakefulness promoting effects of caffeine. of course, the initial strong response such as overwhelming energy in euphoria does dissipate over time with daily use, but I can easily get those effects back by temporarily lowering my dosage for a few days or even taking a larger dose than usual.
Although I still partly agree with what I said when I started this thread, I feel that I may have unfairly demonised caffeine, and didn’t give it the credit it deserves.
Yes, caffeine doesn’t give you motivation to get work done and itcan fuel procrastination by worsening anxiety at least for me and many other people. however, as I’ve said recently, the problem seems to be more with my reaction to caffeine, which only seens to turn negative when I’m under extremely stressful conditions for a long time.
After thinking deeply about it, I realise caffeine has actually helped me out a lot in my life, especially helping me stay awake at university. there’s another thing I’ve noticed, caffeine tends to strongly put me off tasks if I don’t have a rigid structure and someone watching over me which will force me to do the task. i’ve also been told that I should actually get started on the task first either before consuming caffeine, or at least before the caffeine kicks in. I now realise I was subconsciously doing this at university whenever caffeine was helping me out.
Aside from productivity, caffeine has brought so much joy to my life especially in my free time. It’s being my companion fron drug since childhood, and it actually seems to have an antidepressant effect on me.
When I had problems with caffeine last year, the issue was my anhedonia and that I believe, was a result of podiatry choices, illness and chronic stress, which is partly my fault for allowing my procrastination to get out of hand. with this in mind, I’m hoping that healthy eating/nutritional supplements, proper sleep and stress management, including a plan to address my procrastination once and for all should prevent my anhedonia ever coming back God willing. that way, I will hopefully be able to enjoy caffeine as I always have done before that horrible episode of anhedonia.

drunk my super strong black coffee this morning and I was amazed by the power of caffeine. for the first time in a whole month actually felt awake and optimistic. I wonder if the Ramadan fasting, which made me feel particularly terrible this year has somehow reset my brain. now I can eat in the daytime and can drink caffeine, I feel much more motivated to do work and felt much less repelled by doing tasks. with healthy lifestyle changes I intend to make and my desire to get procrastination under control, i’m hoping caffeine Will be my helping friend for many years to come if not for the rest of my life.

I can’t thank God enough for making caffeine work for me again, It’s working even better than it did before it temporarily stopped working last year. strange, I now only get physically jittery if I have way too much caffeine in one go, but I don’t seem to get any significant mental anxiety from it.
Previously in this thread, I mentioned that I quit caffeine for a year when I was at college and experienced some key benefits. this was true, but I think the circumstances were different then. also, it took many many months after unintentionally dropping caffeine during that year to notice any real benefits. furthermore, with my family on holiday, I was able to study later in the day when my natural energy peaks, if I’m not on caffeine.
I’ve also realised that with the right nutrition, caffeine works as a really good antidepressant, of course for those without clinical depression. I wonder if this is why I’ve always been subconsciously drawn to it since I was a child and would always go back to it. I find being without caffeine can make my emotions feel very raw and as if my emotion and thoughts are bearing down on me. despite feeling much more calm off caffeine, often that same sense of calm can make things worse by making me feel as a blanket is wrapped around my head and encouraging me to go further into my thoughts rather than interacting with the outside world. it’s not as dramatic as it probably sounds here, but I hope you get the idea.

Are you allowed to have caffeine when the sun is down like with food and water or is it totally banned during Ramadan?

Caffeine is great. It’s probably the only stimulant really suitable for long term use.
Caffeine increases dopamine receptors.

However not all caffeine is the same.

I drink coffee and matcha all the time for different reasons.
If I had too much coffee, I just make myself a cup of matcha and it makes me focused and relaxed again.

Like with all stimulants, your physical and mental health needs to be in a good place before you take it. People who take strong drugs regularly are going to have a harder time enjoying caffeine, since their minds and bodies are weakened by addiction.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to have caffeine when the sun is down like with food and water or is it totally banned during Ramadan?

Oh yes, it is absolutely allowed when the Sun is down just like food and water, and many people including my family do consume it at night. I just personally choose to avoid it during that month because it causes severe insomnia and makes me more dehydrated.

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it takes to develop caffeine dependence with daily use? it’s now been eight days since Ramadan and I’ve been using caffeine every morning and I’m really happy with it. however, I was just a little surprised by how quickly I seem to have become dependent on it again after a month of not using it. I know this might sound counterintuitive, but I’ve strangely not developed much of a tolerance for the stimulant effect, despite many years of continuous use. I guess you don’t always have to have a massive tolerance to be dependent on a substance.
I do expect to become dependent on caffeine, and I have no problem with it but as I said, was just surprised by how within a few days, I was waking up with an urge to take caffeine and if I delayed it more than an hour, I would get a headache. in terms of psychological urges, these are very minor and are not so much for the drug itself, but rather just for my extreme tiredness to be removed.
On a more positive note, I feel much more optimistic about life and I have more energy to cope with difficulties. I now understand how there could be a link between daily moderate caffeine consumption and decreased risk of suicide or severe depression.

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it takes to develop caffeine dependence with daily use?
You can keep your caffeine tolerance low by alternating between different sources of caffeine.
For example, instead of regularly only drinking coffee, maybe also try “yerba mate” or “matcha tea”.
By doing this you will become less addicted to coffee.
So the next time you drink your coffee, it will hit much harder.
Even if it’s “all just caffeine”, the caffeine source you choose to ingest matters a lot.

If you get addicted to coffee, the most common withdrawl symptom is a headache for a few days. This happens because caffeine is a strong vasoconstrictor. When you quit drinking coffee, your blood vessels will no longer constrict the same way. Instead, your blood vessels will dilate/expand causing a headache for a few days.

Caffeine Hack
My favorite biohack with caffeine/coffee is to wait 1-2 hours every morning before your drink it. That way your tolerance will stay low and you will not experience the caffeine crash.

Last edited: