• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Bupropion for mood lift in the non-depressed.

some doc"s substitude this for coke addiction....so i oersonallu
y never tried,but is enough powerful med act on a few system and is difficult to quit,if u hooked on itIf u have advise from prof.doc-ok then toke itU got good coffea there,various strong black teas..for slight psychstimulation better they are better choise

Just out of interest, could you compare methylphenidate and bupropion effects when used orally at typical doses?
Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a DNRI but has insignificant dopaminergic effects taken orally due to first pass metabolism. It’s a very effective drug however, you WILL feel stimulated starting out 150mg XR and the larger tablet 300mg XR, given to enhance sexual desire, smoking cessation, and mild mood boosting effects

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a “Classic Amphetamine” and in an “Inverse Agonist” basically identical to Cocaine in its MOA (minus the SERT action) I was VERY Euphoric while starting Ritalin and it’s not some Mickey Mouse drug

…..Ritalin in freaking Awesome and I’ll take 50mg IR in a cocktail with opioids, ethanol, etc and you’re jacked up

I also have a script for Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) which metabolizes into d-amphetamine and I actually prefer Ritalin any day. It’s duration of action is 3-4h max for IR dose

Biphentin (Methylphenidate) is Canadian XR 40% is IR ….4 hours later the remaining 60% is released reaching peak serum levels in 6h (8-10h coverage for Biphentin) I pulverize the beads into IR Ritalin

Methadone 80mg
Ritalin 50mg
Valium 20mg
Pregabalin 300mg
Ethanol/Jin 3.oz

Is my daily cocktail…..when peaking, I’ll usually blast a line of Yayo before heading out to patio for cigarette and Jin & ginger ale cocktail

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is in an ENTIRELY different league than Bupropion. It has true abuse potential due to its significant dopaminergic stimulant properties and ability to reliably induce profound euphoria

Sounds like an interesting and horrifying story. However, I don’t plan on abusing bupropion. The reason I’m particularly interested in this drug is because it seems like a more sustainable mild psychostimulant that can be used long-term for general mood lift. I would only ever take it orally at the prescribed doses and would never combine it with other psychoactive substances. in fact, it is one of the things I’ve been thinking about as a possible alternative to caffeine as I’m planning to quit caffeine at some point in the future.

does anyone know if tolerance develops to The positive/therapeutic effects of bupropion if taken orally and only at therapeutic doses?

in fact, it is one of the things I’ve been thinking about as a possible alternative to caffeine as I’m planning to quit caffeine at some point in the future.
As someone with an obscene caffeine addiction, good luck.

As someone with an obscene caffeine addiction, good luck.

I’ve been dependent on caffeine for many years now, but is much more of a physical dependence rather than a psychological addiction. I quit caffeine every Ramadan for an entire month to avoid insomnia and dehydration whilst fasting. withdrawals generally last from a few days to a week, Starting with headaches, which quickly disappear first followed by a few days of severe fatigue and sleepiness. After that, I generally feel much better. I feel like I may have a later Chronotype as I get much more energy towards the evening when not on caffeine. I basically keep coming back to caffeine, because my job and family life demands I wake up early.
Do you not think bupropion could replace caffeine? The reason I want to replace caffeine is because it is causing me anxiety, but its stimulation never helps me focus and makes my procrastination worse.

I should mention that, although modafinil has some cognitive enhancing potential, overall it is a wakefulness promoter similar to caffeine. apparently, in sleep deprivation studies, modafinil and caffeine performed equally well in enhancing task performance. i’m more interested in a drug that will boost dopamine levels to enhance both focus and optimism. i’m not planning on doing any activities while sleep deprived, so drugs that are purely wakefulness promoters are of little interest to me.

How about fencamfamin

Sounds like a legendary stimulant, I just have no idea how to get hold of it. i’ve actually dreamt about taking that in the morning, instead of coffee/caffeine, from what I’ve heard it’s a very pleasant and smooth dopaminergic stimulant with little to no peripheral activity. even its name sounds nice and comforting to me.

i’m more interested in a drug that will boost dopamine levels to enhance both focus and optimism. i’m not planning on doing any activities while sleep deprived, so drugs that are purely wakefulness promoters are of little interest to me.

Hmm, I'm not sure where you got that idea. Yes, it's a wakefulness promoter (hypothesized to be largely via D2, fwiw), and less effective than amphetamines more generally. But for enhancement of focus, and for a moderate improvement in mood and motivation, it's definitely one you should try before writing it off entirely.

Modafinil would be better suited to help someone with chronic fatigue as opposed to bupropion. But even that would be more of a second option if something like caffeine or ginseng isn't working.

Yerba Mate is a good herbal drink for wakefulness promotion.

Hmm, I'm not sure where you got that idea. Yes, it's a wakefulness promoter (hypothesized to be largely via D2, fwiw), and less effective than amphetamines more generally. But for enhancement of focus, and for a moderate improvement in mood and motivation, it's definitely one you should try before writing it off entirely.

Yes, modafinil does sound interesting and of course it has a dopaminergic component as you stated. however, many studies show that this is an indirect effect and the Orexin system plays a much greater role. I do think modafinil could be a nice transition away from caffeine. However, I’ve read quite a few reports of modafinil being pretty similar to caffeine in that it does not strongly enhance motivation and feels like a long acting stronger version of caffeine. it’s not really about tolerance for me, because I can still feel the effects of caffeine quite strongly. it’s just that the stimulation which caffeine provides just doesn’t help me with mental tasks. It works wonders for exercise/movement, but as soon as I want to sit down and focus, my mind feels completely scattered, Sometimes increasing my urge to run away from the task exponentially. if you’ve seen my other posts, you’ve probably come across my mention of nicotine and how it makes me able to sit down and get through work bystrangely altering my emotional responses. nicotine is much more dopaminergic than caffeine, particularly at the very high doses I would take it at which makes me wonder if increasing dopamine levels without the adenosine receptor blockade of caffeine is the best way to go.

In regards to why I am particularly interested in bupropion, that’s because it seems to increase dopamine and norepinephrine levels in a gentle but beneficial manner making it suitable for long-term use with out the mood swings and other somewhat aggressive actions of traditional psychostimulants.

To me snorted bupropion felt like something that's more of a slight reminder how stims can feel than really causing feeling of a real stim. Maybe I didn't took enough as guy who gave me few lines was railing it constantly and seemed to love it, tho that says a lot more about it being addictive and compulsive than being a good drug. That dude seemed to prefer it more than pregabalin unlike just about everyone else, that too I put to fact he was addicted to it and possibly needed ADs.
But once I took it orally, also with 0 stim tolerance unlike when I tried snorting it, chewed up SR pill it gave me a nice mood lift, mainly a mood lift. And I can see it being useful for some things but what someone wrote how it can impair cognitive functioning gets it back to useful when there's nothing else category lol

To me snorted bupropion felt like something that's more of a slight reminder how stims can feel than really causing feeling of a real stim. Maybe I didn't took enough as guy who gave me few lines was railing it constantly and seemed to love it, tho that says a lot more about it being addictive and compulsive than being a good drug. That dude seemed to prefer it more than pregabalin unlike just about everyone else, that too I put to fact he was addicted to it and possibly needed ADs.
But once I took it orally, also with 0 stim tolerance unlike when I tried snorting it, chewed up SR pill it gave me a nice mood lift, mainly a mood lift. And I can see it being useful for some things but what someone wrote how it can impair cognitive functioning gets it back to useful when there's nothing else category lol

Yes, I only intend to use it orally at about 300 mg daily without any other stimulants. The mood lit sounds very good to me. i’d definitely rather be on bupropion than caffeine from the way you describe it.
Can you see it being helpful with work?
The thing about cognitive impairment is very interesting. i’ve never seen it in the scientific literature but I do believe it may be possible due to nicotinic receptor antagonism. interestingly, excessive activation of nicotinic receptors might be involved in depression and whilst blocking them might not be a particularly effective strategy alone in humans, it can reduce the impact of stress on further worsening depression. it may also help tackle certain types of anxiety and despair behaviour.

Yes, I only intend to use it orally at about 300 mg daily without any other stimulants. The mood lit sounds very good to me. i’d definitely rather be on bupropion than caffeine from the way you describe it.
Can you see it being helpful with work?
The thing about cognitive impairment is very interesting. i’ve never seen it in the scientific literature but I do believe it may be possible due to nicotinic receptor antagonism. interestingly, excessive activation of nicotinic receptors might be involved in depression and whilst blocking them might not be a particularly effective strategy alone in humans, it can reduce the impact of stress on further worsening depression. it may also help tackle certain types of anxiety and despair behaviour.
Well if you are depressed and it works than it certainly can be useful for work. If used as "off-label" functional stim than I think many other things could work much better. Simply cuz, no matter it's a shitty high when snorted it's not on the functional stim side ime, not at all. While chewed that stimulating effect was lot less but mood lift was present. So how much of that mood lift can be translated to motivational effect idk.
Honestly from your posts I keep getting feeling that you would benefit more from something relaxing than uplifting as a mean to getting work done. Given your stressful situation etc you might be surprised how proper relaxation can lead to getting stuff done. And how many people get amped up in any way in any intensity and don't end up doing anything they intend to.