• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Bupropion for mood lift in the non-depressed.

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
i’ll try to keep this short. basically, I consider myself relatively healthy though I’ve always had significant problems with Focus and motivation and I’m unlikely to ever finish tasks unless there are strong consequences for not doing so. I don’t consider myself to be depressed, but after countless stressful experiences in my life, I’ve noticed minor signs of depression including worsening motivational deficits and fatigue as well as a short period of anhedonia which has thankfully gone away. I don’t feel I want or need traditional antidepressants, but could do with something to offset my chronic fatigue and slightly elevate my mood.
I’ve read some Great things about bupropion especially for those with fatigue. I once found a video where someone claimed healthy people were using it as a motivational enhancer that lacks the addictive potential of Ritalin and Adderall.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I’d appreciate anyone’s experiences with bupropion, especially if they were healthy or only mildly depressed.

Bupropion is a powerful ad drug.It must be prescribed by a doc imo....if u are not depressed why to poison urself with this chemical?There is plenty herbal remedies for such purpose

Bupropion is a powerful ad drug.It must be prescribed by a doc imo....if u are not depressed why to poison urself with this chemical?There is plenty herbal remedies for such purpose.

I’ve tried various supplements and some were slightly effective, but sometimes I feel I may need something stronger. I must admit, supplementing with iron and high-strength vitamin D3 has really helped me and my mother who also suffers from chronic fatigue and chronic stress.
I’ll keep my options open, but perhaps I won’t start any medication until I am stable at work and my life circumstances improve which I truly hope God The most merciful will give me. I have a strong suspicion A positive change in life circumstances won’t cure my fatigue but removing chronic stress will certainly help my anxiety and somewhat restore my motivation. I think I’ll always be a very lazy person, but without the chronic stress of being surrounded by argumentative people, I would procrastinate much less.

Last edited:
Bupropion (Wellbutrin) I’ve used off and on for years….smoking cessation, an antidepressant, off label ADHD, and others to augment effects of SSRI, increase sexual desire in women who are uninterested in sex, increases sexual desire in both sexes, often used to reverse effects from SSRI meds

I definitely felt stimulated and talkative of 150mg XR and then 300 XR (450mg max daily dose)

It binds to nicotinic receptor which makes smoking less pleasurable and easier to quit smoking but kinda dumbs you down and causes mild cognitive impairment due to reduced acetylcholine levels in the brain

You can easily get a script for smoking cessation at any walk-in clinic

Although Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a NDRI it has negligible effects on dopamine (insignificant effects) as the liver metabolizes the main metabolite that has DAT effects ….it’s mainly Norepinephrine effects

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is WAY more effective at releasing & increasing dopamine levels in the CNS in addition to NET activity. It’s a “classic amphetamine” and has a MOA very similar to Cocaine. I was able to secure a script due to documented records of childhood ADHD which can effect an adults quality of life.

I have a script for Bupropion / Ritalin / Vyvanse (d-amphetamine) ….all three drugs have been tested against each other in medical journals for their effects at altering monoamines in the mammalian CNS in human subjects.

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) a prodrug metabolizes into active d-Amphetamine has the most robust and longest lasting effects on DAT>NET>>SERT having elevated levels lasting 8-10 hours reaching / peak serum levels in 3h

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is an “inverse agonist” similar to Cocaine and releases Dopamine 3-4x increase over Norepinephrine

All three drugs have a Phenylethylamine skeletal structure (like Amphetamines) all three having very different MOA and binding affinities

Have you ever tried kratom?

It can be effective for fatigue and can have definite mood lifting properties, amongst a host of other effects (as it's fairly dose dependent and varies from person to person).

Personally I've used kratom off and on for well over a decade, in the form both dried leaf and extracts,

and anybody that tells you it's too weak to do anything is either full of shit, has never taken good kratom/extracts, and/or has an opiate tolerance.

The extracts I take generally give me 4-6 hours of harcore euphoria and additional pain relief that trails off after a few more hours, but would likely have an opiate-naive user firmly planted in a loving embrace with that good old porcelain throne.

Kratom may be a good option for you though, assuming it's available where you are. Ground up, plain leaf is the most common form in which you'll find it and is also generally quite cheap. Are you in the US?

It’s fairly popular in jail. A friend of mine gave me some but I never got much out of it. Seems to get mixed reviews on here.

I am very concerned,that the guy could get hands on Kratom.....especialy,if he live in S.Arabia or Gulf Arab countries....other thing-it is addictive and as i understood he/she wanted some nonaddictive moodlifting supplement.Nor Buprion...nor Kratom fells in that category

Don’t they do some kind of weird stimulant in the Gulf Arab states? I can’t remember what it’s called but I seem to remember reading about something like that, like the leader of ISIS was supposedly hovering massive lines of it off his scimitar or whatever lol

Don’t they do some kind of weird stimulant in the Gulf Arab states? I can’t remember what it’s called but I seem to remember reading about something like that, like the leader of ISIS was supposedly hovering massive lines of it off his scimitar or whatever lol
You're probably thinking of the khat plant, of which the main constituent, Cathinone (which is a stimulant), is widely used in some areas of the middle east.

I am very concerned,that the guy could get hands on Kratom.....especialy,if he live in S.Arabia or Gulf Arab countries....other thing-it is addictive and as i understood he/she wanted some nonaddictive moodlifting supplement.Nor Buprion...nor Kratom fells in that category
Yes, kratom can be addictive, as its an opioid, but I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a "mood enhancer" that isn't to some degree addictive. Compared to stronger opiates, and most drugs, I think kratom is fairly mild and has the advantages of being cheap and somewhat self limiting (there is definitely a ceiling effect, at least with plain leaf).

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, but perhaps something like modafanil is more up OP's alley? Idk, just throwing stuff out there.

Right? I mean prodrug theophylline, prodrug for amphetamine, sounds like a relaxing evening with the boys to me lol...

Right? I mean prodrug theophylline, prodrug for amphetamine, sounds like a relaxing evening with the boys to me lol...
They call it a codrug... for amphetamine and theophylline (which is like caffeine). Breaks down into both.

Now, if they come up with a codrug for cocaine and heroin...

yeah -captagon.(made from theophyline)Years ago the old government produce this in large quantities and all goes into the arab world....but the penalties there are the most harsh one in the world.Death penalty for trafficking.Even for ordinary use they can give u prison terms.Khat too-in African horn,Yemen and the whole East Africa(incl.Madagascar&S.Africa)

Yes, Bupropion has a Phenylethylamine skeletal structure and is a Beta-Ketone-Amphetamine (like Khat) but Bupropion is predominantly acting on Norepinephrine with insignificant effects on dopamine due to first pass metabolism….people in jail inject or snort it for a cheesy amphetamine like high…if you could call it that lol

Khat on the other hand, chewing fresh leaves is MUCH more euphoric and amphetamine like….like Peruvians chewing fresh Coca leaves with a splash of lime …..god bless modern medicine / pharmacology / organic chemistry etc…..isolating Cocaine HCL …..isolating Morphine from the opium poppy and synthesizing Diacetylmorphine (Heroin) and in Japan, isolating d-desoxyephedrine hcl (Methyl-Amphetamine) from Ephedrine

Cocaine, Methylphenidate, Phenmetrazine
Heroin, Oxycodone, Methadone, Dilaudid
Biphetamine, Dexedrine, Methedrine IV + Desoxyn & Desbutal & Dexamyl
Diazepam, Alprazolam, Lorazepam, Clonazepam

The only drugs I’d ever desire to have an unlimited supply of pharmaceutical grade API, pure powder

Last edited:
i’ll try to keep this short. basically, I consider myself relatively healthy though I’ve always had significant problems with Focus and motivation and I’m unlikely to ever finish tasks unless there are strong consequences for not doing so. I don’t consider myself to be depressed, but after countless stressful experiences in my life, I’ve noticed minor signs of depression including worsening motivational deficits and fatigue as well as a short period of anhedonia which has thankfully gone away. I don’t feel I want or need traditional antidepressants, but could do with something to offset my chronic fatigue and slightly elevate my mood.
I’ve read some Great things about bupropion especially for those with fatigue. I once found a video where someone claimed healthy people were using it as a motivational enhancer that lacks the addictive potential of Ritalin and Adderall.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I’d appreciate anyone’s experiences with bupropion, especially if they were healthy or only mildly depressed.

Everything that you're describing here is reasonable and fairly established knowledge. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is seeing wider application for these purposes. To call it a "non-addictive" equivalent to Central Nervous System stimulants is only half-true. Bupropion is a Cathinone which are essentially identical in effects to the Amphetamines but possessing a different chemical structure. Both Cathinones and Amphetamines belong to the larger family of substituted-phenethylamines and are closely related.

Bupropion is a significanty weaker stimulant than the above-mentioned two substances. It's not non-addictive though. There is actually a huge issue with the misuse of Bupropion right now, as stimulant users seek it for its easy availability. Compulsive usage is actually pretty scary with this shit. It's not at all uncommon for a person to start taking Bupropion and not stopping until they run out or have a seizure (which is a common symptom of misuse).

This shouldn't apply to you. People who abuse the drug typically are doing so by the route of insufflation or (gasp) intravenous usage (do not ever do this for any reason). It's not a particularly euphoric or "awesome" drug, which makes this dangerous compulsive usage even more depressing. If you ever want me to spin you the ol' yarn about the guy I know who lost half his dick by shooting crushed Bupropion into his big-dick-vein, you know where to find me.

This should be a problem for you though. Take the medication orally, as prescribed. I'd wager you'll start at something like 100mg per day. The maximum dosage is 300mg per day I believe. The most common symptoms reported are tachycardia, palpitations and anxiety. Let us know how it works out for you.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) I’ve used off and on for years….smoking cessation, an antidepressant, off label ADHD, and others to augment effects of SSRI, increase sexual desire in women who are uninterested in sex, increases sexual desire in both sexes, often used to reverse effects from SSRI meds

I definitely felt stimulated and talkative of 150mg XR and then 300 XR (450mg max daily dose)

It binds to nicotinic receptor which makes smoking less pleasurable and easier to quit smoking but kinda dumbs you down and causes mild cognitive impairment due to reduced acetylcholine levels in the brain

Although Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a NDRI it has negligible effects on dopamine (insignificant effects) as the liver metabolizes the main metabolite that has DAT effects ….it’s mainly Norepinephrine effects

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is WAY more effective at releasing & increasing dopamine levels in the CNS in addition to NET activity. It’s a “classic amphetamine” and has a MOA very similar to Cocaine. I was able to secure a script due to documented records of childhood ADHD which can effect an adults quality of life.

I have a script for Bupropion / Ritalin / Vyvanse (d-amphetamine) ….all three drugs have been tested against each other in medical journals for their effects at altering monoamines in the mammalian CNS in human subjects.

Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) a prodrug metabolizes into active d-Amphetamine has the most robust and longest lasting effects on DAT>NET>>SERT having elevated levels lasting 8-10 hours reaching / peak serum levels in 3h

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) is an “inverse agonist” similar to Cocaine and releases Dopamine 3-4x increase over Norepinephrine

All three drugs have a Phenylethylamine skeletal structure (like Amphetamines) all three having very different MOA and binding affinities

Just out of interest, could you compare methylphenidate and bupropion effects when used orally at typical doses?

Everything that you're describing here is reasonable and fairly established knowledge. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is seeing wider application for these purposes. To call it a "non-addictive" equivalent to Central Nervous System stimulants is only half-true. Bupropion is a Cathinone which are essentially identical in effects to the Amphetamines but possessing a different chemical structure. Both Cathinones and Amphetamines belong to the larger family of substituted-phenethylamines and are closely related.

Bupropion is a significanty weaker stimulant than the above-mentioned two substances. It's not non-addictive though. There is actually a huge issue with the misuse of Bupropion right now, as stimulant users seek it for its easy availability. Compulsive usage is actually pretty scary with this shit. It's not at all uncommon for a person to start taking Bupropion and not stopping until they run out or have a seizure (which is a common symptom of misuse).

This shouldn't apply to you. People who abuse the drug typically are doing so by the route of insufflation or (gasp) intravenous usage (do not ever do this for any reason). It's not a particularly euphoric or "awesome" drug, which makes this dangerous compulsive usage even more depressing. If you ever want me to spin you the ol' yarn about the guy I know who lost half his dick by shooting crushed Bupropion into his big-dick-vein, you know where to find me.

This should be a problem for you though. Take the medication orally, as prescribed. I'd wager you'll start at something like 100mg per day. The maximum dosage is 300mg per day I believe. The most common symptoms reported are tachycardia, palpitations and anxiety. Let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks for this. yes, I’m aware that bupropion isn’t free of addiction risk, i’ve heard people call it non-addictive, but I think they mean in comparison to traditional amphetamine type psychostimulants. bupropions exact neuropharmacology is actually quite complex and contradictory results have been seen regarding dopamine signalling. However, a detailed review article I read suggested that whilst bupropion dopamine reuptake inhibition capacity is very weak, it rapidly accumulates in the brain, reaching concentrations that notably enhance dopaminergic signalling. of course, this is nothing compared to methylphenidate. however, it is very likely that only tiny increases in dopamine activity in the background of heightened norepinephrine activity is necessary to produce a good antidepressant and motivation enhancing affect. this is just my personal thought, but I wonder if bupropion, being so weak at the dopamine transporter, May restore dopamine to more natural levels in those with a slight deficiency and elevate them slightly in those that are healthy. I wonder if this allows for a beneficial mood enhancing effect without throwing the brain out of balance. I’m aware that stimulants like methylphenidate and amphetamine can elevate dopamine levels far higher than could ever be achieved in nature, even in those with low baseline dopamine levels. I assume this is why orally administered bupropion is an acceptable antidepressant for long-term use unlike traditional psychostimulants which I rarely ever used in depression and it’s not really hard to see why.

I appreciate your advice and concern and I’ll make sure to only ever use bupropion orally. i’m going to wait at least a year before trying it, as by that time, I should be settled down in my job and my argumentative siblings are going on an extendeed holiday. The reason I’m waiting until I’m settled is because I’ve heard that the medication can be extremely anxeiogenic and produce severe insomnia when first started. When alone, without family responsibility, I can easily deal with these symptoms.