• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

I just picked up a copy of Poppy by Gregor Salmon.

He's a Sydney based writer. I'm a couple of chapters in and really enjoying it so far.

From the blurb on the back of the book.

Stranger in a strange land, Gregor Salmon entered the war-torn country alone and spent eight months investigating Afghanistan's dependence on poppy. Who depends on poppy profits? And who pays the ultimate cost? Along the way he encountered Afghans whose lives were intimately tied to the trade: farmers, harvesters, eradicators, smugglers, police, doctors, addicts, warlords, gun-runners, politicians - even a pop-song loving Taliban commander. The result is a tense, fascinating and deeply moving journey along the narcotics trail, and a story about keeping your sanity in a senseless world.

The Problem of Stateroom 10 by Peter Lovesey

from the book Murder Through the Ages: A Bumper Anthology of Historical Mysteries

I can't find it on the net, but I was killing time at the library today and was actually very surprised with how much I enjoyed reading this short story.

There was another one that I didn't get to finish, Dark Mirror by Lauren Henderson, but also found very interesting.

If you can find this book, I'm sure its full of good murder mysteries like the ones I read.

Who enjoys Borges?

He's always been one of my favourites.

A lot of people mentioned Hesse. I loved his stuff when I was younger. My favourite of his was The Glass Bead Game. :)

eminemautobiography.jpg

...I'm really just a normal guy. You can ask my neighbors. I ride a bike. I walk the dog. I mow my lawn. I'm out there every Sunday, talking to myself, buck naked, mowing the lawn with a chainsaw.

awesome books:

the illuminatus trilogy by robert anton wilson and robert shea
dune by frank herbert
siddhartha by herman hesse

Has anyone here read The Longest Cocktail Party by Richard DeLello? I think I'm going to pick it up today.

I'm on an all-poetry diet of late. I've been reading Rilke's poems for some time now and am preparing for a Neruda book I ordered. I'm also slowly making my way through Shakespeare's sonnet series (I'm up to #32). Today I started the book "Original Green" by Patricia L. Carlin.

Last edited:
I just started Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Hmm. I'm not sure I like it. But I'm going to slog through it anyway.

I just finished Perfume and it was FANTASTIC.

\
I just finished Perfume and it was FANTASTIC.

Fuck yeah. I couldnt wait to read it again after I finished it. <3<3<3

Odors have a power of persuasion stronger than that of words, appearances,emotions, or will.
The persuasive power of an odor cannot be fended off, it enters into us like breath into our lungs,
it fills us up, imbues us totally. There is no remedy for it.

even cowgirls get the blues
another roadside attraction
jitterbug perfume
all by tom robbins

jimi hendrix turns eighty (you really have to read this one, it's about old folks who were young in the sixties overthrowing their nursing home)
sex and sunsets
sorrow floats
all by tim sandlin who creates amazing quirky characters.

a blue hand by deborah baker (this is about ginsberg and the beats in india)

and acid dreams : the complete social history of lsd, the cia the sixties and beyond. bruce lee and martin shlain. (this book has a ton of info made available to the public through the freedom of information act, and lot of your favorite characters like kesey and burroughs.)

excellent short story collections:

nobody belongs here more than you-miranda july

eeee eee eeee -tao lin (dolphins kill elijah wood and sean penn. there are whole underworlds of hamsters, bears, moose and aliens. mostly everyone's depressed and halarious)

how we are hungry- dave eggers. super short and whimsical.

happy reading!

x moth.

and i completely forgot to add the death and life of bobby z - don winslow. this one's just for fun but the pacing is incredible.

has anyone read Generation Ecstasy?

i read it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.
i was wondering about other peoples opinions

leaves of grass - walt whitman
dubliners - james joyce
trout fishing in america; in watermelon sugar - richard brautigan
scar lover; body -harry crews
you know me al -ring lardner
from death to morning -thomas wolfe
tell me a riddle -tillie olson
i think someone already mentioned geek love by katherine dunn -great book!

i could keep on and on but that's enough for right now =D

+10 million on Tom Robbins. Read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold yesterday, such a great story, lovely writing and one where you just have to find out what happens next. Re-reading Neuromancer now.

^ I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Tender is the Night after Up All Night recommended it in this thread What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress".

Let me know your opinion on it when you finish, please and thanks.

I got half way through and gave up. And it takes ALOT for me to admit defeat with a book. I just could not get into this. No character development, and I didn't warm to his writing style. *sigh* Maybe I'll revisit it at a later date and give it another go.

I've moved onto In Cold Blood.

One book that has given me a lot of hope regarding the brain and it's mysterious attributes as well as it's ability to recover from damage is "Making A Good Brain Great," by Daniel Amen. Wonderful read. The brain's potential will amaze you after reading this. There is a lot about neuroscience and psychology, but he puts it into simple readable terms. It's very applicable and practical too. Very good book regarding health and keeping your brain operating at the apex of it's ability!!

Also, if you are into music. I HIGHLY recommend "This Is Your Brain on Music." You won't be disappointed. It is just amazing. One of my favorite books of all time.

Last one, "Moby Dick." period. I am in the middle of it right now... I can't put it down. Looking up some vocab is the only downside, because he uses a lot of words we don't really hear anymore or use. Some of the words are so old you can't even find them in the dictionary. It's incredible though. Herman Melville's style and language is fucking unreal. I am definitely going to read some more of his books after this one.

^^ check out "bartleby the scrivner" by melville. it's a long short story, a great read, well worth your time.